Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Actually all mail in GW2 is carried via a pigeon, complete with animation on send and receive.

Funnily enough, I've never seen a postman doing a run to one of your mailboxes. How does your mail get there? Magic?
    To be fair, in Dalaran, all post was delivered via portals.

Don't care about mounts at all, but running around on foot everywhere is so damn annoying & slow.

Even with full WPs in a map, it feels like endlessly running through 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 mobs every time to go 50 feet. This more than anything made GW2 tedious.

Desperately hope there is some kind of out-of-combat run speed buff ala TOR's sprint in the works.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post

Or fanboys. It's so impossibly difficult to take people seriously when they throw those words around.
    if i call myself a fanboy then can you take me calling myself a fanboy seriously?

its like saying "this statement is false."

---------- Post added 2012-06-13 at 06:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Don't care about mounts at all, but running around on foot everywhere is so damn annoying & slow.

Even with full WPs in a map, it feels like endlessly running through 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 mobs every time to go 50 feet. This more than anything made GW2 tedious.

Desperately hope there is some kind of out-of-combat run speed buff ala TOR's sprint in the works.
    there is one its just not visible as a buff
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

From my time in both beta weekends, I noticed that most people miss out on DEs simply because they are not paying attention. As an event ends very often NPCs start to talk hinting that something else is about to happen, I stick around but the other players around me bail and leave to go somewhere else. By the time I was done with my starter area (human) on my latest new character I was almost level 16 without even touching the personal story.

As far as traveling goes, I like the portals since i can either port if I'm in a hurry, or walk and hope to catch some DEs on the way if I am not, point is I'd rather have the options to use the portals if I want to then not.

10+ Year Old Account

I agree with this. Especially when a waypoint is locked by a nearby event. I hate mounts though and would rather run slow than deal with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    I agree with this. Especially when a waypoint is locked by a nearby event. I hate mounts though and would rather run slow than deal with them.
    I'd made a suggestion about that that I kinda hope, in all my naive hopefulness, get's through, that contested waypoints can still be used, but will port you to a semi-random destination a small distance away from the waypoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibbi View Post

That's Arenanet's style of traveling in their 2 MMO's, it's an alternative from flight-paths and mount travel. GW2 is trying not to be another typical MMO.

No, they're just doing the same as a typical single-player RPG instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are NPCs that give a speed boon in the cities, look for the guy with the boot above his head.
    Some weapons have speed buffs - saw a vid of a guy using it in the jumping puzzle dungeon below the WvW map. Not sure which weapon he was using or how long the buff lasts tho.

Disagree with everything besides mounts. Moving around feels a bit slow at times, and I'd like a faster way to move around out of combat.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Dude. I missed like half the end beta event because WPs were locked. Natch, all event mobs were dead by the time I got through the millions of moas, ghosts and scorpions between WPs.

And Kessex? Anytime someone in guild asked for help in Kessex about 12 of us would say in unison, "No."

Other MMOs have waypoint systems much better implemented than this, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    No, they're just doing the same as a typical single-player RPG instead.
    Guild Wars 2 is an MMO with single-player/first-person stylizations added in for flavor.

Sigh.

the OP is getting desperate to create a point if not having mail boxes shrinks the world of Tyria.

There are flight paths in WoW and waypoints in GW2 the only difference is I don't have to alt tab while waiting for the flight to finally get there. I want to play the game not sit on a remote controlled winged animal for 10minutes. The only time I used my mounts was when gathering and that shrunk the world since I was normally flying around just looking at the mini map for nodes.

I'm glad there are no mounts especially flying mounts, I perfer to travel on foot and see the world, not speed past it. Using the waypoints is a personal choice, you don't have to use them if you don't want to.

GW2 isn't perfect but neither is any other MMO, they all have different way to open up the world or shrink it. Sounds like the OP likes the way WoW does it, personally I like the way GW2 does it. NONE of those points he mentions shrinks the world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorcanna View Post
    I want A mount. One mount from personal story that you can personalize and just bond with. That's about it. I don't agree on any of the other points being breaking to the immersive feel of the game.
    Sir put this on the suggestion forums for Anet to say ASAP, if they made it so you had one highly customizable mount you could grow attached to then I'd be fully onboard especially if they didn't magically teleport to your side after wiggling your fingers for a few seconds!!

Other then that... OP, your arguements are fairly poor... Did you not notice those giant floating objects at each waypoint tat would let lose a massive wave of energy when someone teleported there? How about the carrier pidgeon whenever you receive or send a mail? Oh! I know! How about all the exp you get from exploring, crafting, harvesting, DEs, hearts, killing things in a row etc, I got to lv 21 before even leaving queens dale and I didn't even fully complete it!

In short, open your eyes and stop trying to make the game like wow, if you want wow play wow or just about ANY other mmo out there...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    With any mmo or rpg for that matter a fully realised and believable world needs to happen. To me thats what really makes or breaks it for me because i love story, the world and how and what inhabits it. it also includes travel means, social interactivity etc. I'll list a few things in which i think still doesnt put GW2 at the true mmorpg status:

1) Waypoints: In GW1, worked perfectly especially since it was an instanced game. In this current day and age, people will argue convenience for waypoints to save time, but what it does is shrink the world. The ability to teleport without any explanation, or real hindrance despite costs now to it, breaks the world size tremendously.
    So what do the flying mounts, hippogryphs, and other means of travel do for other games? Once you discover a flight path, you no longer need to travel the world.

2) XP From Other Starting Zones?: Ive heard this loads, and its because the xp gain on any one or two things in the game is so low. People suggest including the devs to go to other starting zones. to me, a starting zone is the first time i want to experience it with the race ive chosen. not feel i have to go there because my xp needs a boost. never heard of a game promoting this kind of, well, alternative, but again, it shrinks the world AND the true fresh experience of choosing a new race and running through all that zone has to offer. i mean, its like starting a night elf and finding you cant do the storyline because ur underlevelled so you have to go to Elwynn Forest just for xp.
    You don't have to leave your starting zone, that's a myth. You can get experience from quests, DE's, crafting, ect. You have the option to go to the other starting areas if you wish.

3) No Mounts Of Any Kind: This connects with point 1. in gw2, unlike gw1, movement feels, well off to be honest. moving through the world also feels off. waypoints will be the go to travel means because there is no alternative. if there were mounts the need for waypoints would dwindle because you'd be moving at a fast pace. and as far as a believable world goes, i can hardly imagine in any and all types of swords and shields rpg not a single person in the land of tyria has never jumped on a horse before. its a design choice, but for immersion, doesnt cut it.
    Says who? You? You don't NEED a mount to travel. In Tyria, they use waypoints, what's wrong with that? I keep reading stuff about people who play other MMO's complaining about the lack of mounts. In all actuality, with mounts, you miss more of the world then you realize. You follow the road to get to the next place, then get your flightpath, and never need a mount to travel from town-to-town again. Throw in flying mounts, and you see even less of the world. Do you use your ground mount for all travel? I'd guess no.

4) No Mailboxes, No Trading House, Full Casual: I see contradicting things, people want the game HARD, they love a challenge, but finding a mailbox is a rudimentary pain the ass and well, how dare the game make me run all over the place. like most mmos, the idea of it is not just for the world believabilty (how do they do this in gw2? do they have email now?) but also its social, people converging on trading houses, mailboxes, banks, transmog vendors ALL, like a living breathing world, actually happens. its moving people through the world even with the most subtle of things. yes, its quick and easy in gw2, yes it leaves more time for other things, but again, tiny little details can make up for it especially when if its supposed to be an rpg, combat isnt the only thing that really should be portrayed in a realistic manner to the world its created in.
    I think most players actually prefer having their mailbox immediately available. I know I do, so when I'm out in the world, I can still get my mail. Also, there is a trading post (auction house). A simple Google search and you would have found that.

5) Beep Beep Beep You Have A Dynamic Event: I think in some ways the dynamic event system thats been present in rift and warhammer made more sense than in gw2. yes, its all about 'oo ahh the world is alive' but realistically, in the lore of tyria and running around, how do i know about a dynamic event on the other side of the zone without a single npc telling me? some of the trigger circles are SO big that by line of sight to where the dynamic event is you cant even see it. again, its more about portraying the world realistically to the setting thats been achieved. and unless we have smart phones i cant see why this works to the world its in. i mean, shit on quest givers all the want, but in a swords and shields game, THATS what happens. u run up, chat, and do what you have to.
    You complain about not seeing the world due to waypoints, but you don't want to explore it to find DE's? K.....

So what do the flying mounts, hippogryphs, and other means of travel do for other games? Once you discover a flight path, you no longer need to travel the world.
    I think that's mostly true in World of Warcraft. Flight Masters are kinda rare in other MMOs.

Even in like Aion, you did have reason to travel about outside of those paths. Tera as well. Rift has none such and you are in the open world for like everything/all day. TOR is the closest to the WOW travel style, but you don't really leave the fleet at max level. EQ 1/2 are fairly reliant on zone travel. Vanguard, obviously so.

I think that's mostly true in World of Warcraft. Flight Masters are kinda rare in other MMOs.

Even in like Aion, you did have reason to travel about outside of those paths. Tera as well. Rift has none such and you are in the open world for like everything/all day. TOR is the closest to the WOW travel style, but you don't really leave the fleet at max level. EQ 1/2 are fairly reliant on zone travel. Vanguard, obviously so.
    I used WoW as an example because I think that's what the OP did. He mentioned Elwynn Forest....so I assume he is comparing GW2 to WoW. >_<

I know but the OP is bonkers. ;p

Quote Originally Posted by Grugmuc View Post
    Guild Wars 2 is an MMO with single-player/first-person stylizations added in for flavor.

Sigh.
    Yep. He was implying they were doing something "special" with travel, which they're not.

10+ Year Old Account

Haven't played Aion yet so can't comment there (gonna be downloading it tonight tho...), but I felt the rift system was essentially strategically placed Asura gates, and then wows/tors method made the world feel smaller then Rifts and also bored the hell out of me anytime I wanted to go any large distance EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

I can't really agree with most of what you're saying. Waypoints work perfectly fine. All they do is remove the wait of flightpaths. Mounts aren't necessary due to waypoints (though, as Fencers has said, I hope they add some sort of out of combat speed buff).

Removing mailboxes isn't reducing the world size at all. Not sure why it would.

And you're complaining about how it's difficult to find Dynamic Events, yet to find them you're required to go out into the world and explore. That's exactly what you want, so what's the problem?