Page 7 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Must've been a very VERY vocal last percent then....
    if you have 1 million people and 1% are spaming wow will die, thats still 10,000 people spaming

I'd love to see it go F2P. As with other MMO's that will be F2P I'm likely just gonna play them casually and if SWTOR was F2P then I'd be able to finish the stories, which are the main thing for me in that game. We'll see what happens, my fingers are crossed though. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    lost somewhere in the corn fields of middle America
    god i hope not..... i really do hope not that would happen ......

the only free to play game that done it right is AoC thats only free to play model thats good....
    Have you even played or checked out GW2? Dont get me wrong I loves me some SWTOR but that games makes me wonder why im paying a sub fee at all in any game..
    I completely refuse to play anything remotely pay to win and I can tell you there is nothing even remotely close to that in GW2. If that game can be successful and then there is no reason why SWTOR cant adopt a similar model and succeed as well.

Though skeptical atm I can see this working out as a good thing.

I hope the Secret World gets a lot better than it was a month ago - and THEN goes F2P
    I agree, I love what I have played of this game and they have made quite a few improvements as this weeks Beta have shown. If it was free to play I would totally play it but I dont allow myself more than one sub fee game and atm SWTOR is it. Going free to play could only help them as what they have is a very solid foundation and a fun game (secret world that is)

Well, this is all very excited.

I'm still going to play because I enjoy the game, despite accusations from others that it's horrible. See what I did thar?

Expected it before the game was even out after I played the beta. Most likely they will be doing "free" "premium" "subscriber" with various perks, it's the way most games that aren't doing well are going now to be honest. All in all, not surprised.

Well I guess it will be worth leaving on my PC for now, can use it to catch up with some old friends, assuming they were to do the same thing.

Like others have said the leveling experience was great the first time through, but its just not worth a sub fee.

BTW I expect it to happen sometime after the first of the year, right around the time that level cap increase is supposed to hit. I figure they will hold off til after Christmas just to see if they can make a few final bucks from the holiday season box sales.

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    They actually said 500k would break them even, and 1 mill would be profitable but nothing to write home about.

Are there any sources for what you said? would be interesting to see updates on the sub numbers. Last official one we got was the 1.3 mill, right?
    Woops, my bad, it was 1.7m to 1.3m, they lost 400k, your right.

Quote Originally Posted by Kickbuttmario View Post
    Actually F2P is doing wonders mr.obao98. Many journalists were amazed by how many indie companies that are f2p are there at E3 and how much money they were making. I am sure E3 has got a plan.
    You know what the best part of what you said is? That it goes to show how much people are willing to spend real-life cash, for what amounts to USUALLY nothing to make you "better" in most F2P games. Sure you have those who do actually give out better items but usually it's cosmetic stuff/potions, nothing that really makes you "better" than anyone else.

I'm technically fine with that F2P model, but I do despise the ones like LotRO/DDO where they hold back entire portions of the game unless you buy them. It's almost as if they planned on having this amazing game that they could win both sides of players.

Sadly, even if ToR went F2P I don't think I'd play it. I'm having way to much fun in Rift.

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 07:37 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Armourboy View Post
    Well I guess it will be worth leaving on my PC for now, can use it to catch up with some old friends, assuming they were to do the same thing.

Like others have said the leveling experience was great the first time through, but its just not worth a sub fee.

BTW I expect it to happen sometime after the first of the year, right around the time that level cap increase is supposed to hit. I figure they will hold off til after Christmas just to see if they can make a few final bucks from the holiday season box sales.
    I'm really curious, since you didn't say a expansion was coming out, but a game that has been out for a year, 1 year after release are box sales (Christmas or not) still "high"? Sure you should always have "new" players buying the game but are the sales figures really that amazing?

Edit: I think there's going to have to come a point that the F2P market is getting way to saturated. Then again, maybe unlike the "mmo market" the "f2p market" has a different kind of player in the sense that when real-life cash is used to purchase items in game, it's not just time investment that is keeping people playing...
    Last edited by alturic; 2012-06-15 at 11:39 AM.

Deleted
    Auch, for a game that aimed to be subscription based AAA title things aren't looking good. Shame

Deleted
    They wouldn't mention they are thinking about f2p model if they weren't or if they were far from considering it. Most likely they leak info to see how the community reacts to it. Haven't read official forum yet so don't know what people are saying there.

The game has a lot of potential for f2p model. The legacy system includes lots of stuff that could be added into a cash shop, so the option is: grind to get it in game or buy it for real cash. That's not even "must have" items so would prevent the "p2win" issue, and add to that mounts and costumes.
    So I think the game could do well as f2p game. They could start first with being able to buy gametime for credits... that's my favourite idea to all subfee based mmos.

Deleted
    i'll deffently start playing again if it goes free to play, i really enjoyed it when i played it a few months ago, i just didn't think it was worth 12 eu per month. But if it goes free to play i'll deffenlty start playing it again.

All this speculation is hilarious. This lead designer was as vague as possible, and all everyone does is see it as proof positive for the free-to-play model. Quite frankly, I personally couldn't care less what comes of this; the MMO genre as a whole is very poor right now (yes, that even includes WoW).

I won't exactly be surprised if SWTOR goes free-to-play, but I'm also taking this P.R. statement with a grain of salt for the moment.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not a surprise, However I'm more surprised of the money spent to make the game and it ended up in well lets say ''Not exactly high standards'' I'll login from time to time if it does go free to play.

I noted last year that the model they are using (very story heavy with scripted and voice-acted sequences) is great because it gives it a popular aspect of a single player game, but that the long-term success will depend on their ability to release similar content in a timely manner. Basically, SWTOR looked like it could be a great 6 month MMO and then...?

Well, looks like my prediction has more or less been right. They keep working on game systems and have released far too little new content. I don't think most of the playerbase cared much for raiding really and maybe not even that much about flashpoints, and so when you release basically nothing but raids and flashpoints you've given people pretty much nothing. They bragged about the amount of new content they had in progress and yet very little has been released. What did casual players get? A half dozen quests from a terminal and a small, very repetitive event. That's not even close to enough. Now people are waiting for one new planet to be released this year. One planet a year? If they want to keep people interested they need a planet every couple of months, and new events every month or two. Unlike the pre-Cata Wow, their worlds/zones are not interesting enough to keep people occupied just exploring all the nooks and crannies.

The nature of this game means that it would do much better using the GW model for an MMO: pay for the game, no sub, pay for expansion packs. If they need to raise more money selling items or services, all the power to them as long as it's not P2W.

Another thing: too much of their story is contained in the multiplayer parts of the game (ops and flashpoints). I think this is a mistake. It's fine to have part of it there, but I think you need to use your open areas to create interest and build-up for those instead of having them mostly feel kind of standalone and mostly self-contained.

Too little, too late

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Must've been a very VERY vocal last percent then....
    Actually, it was mostly people thinking they were being clever and jumping ahead claiming that OTHERS will claim that the new game will be a WoW-killer. Very few that I saw actually made any such claim.

Most of the lashback was over people making the the ridiculous "it will be F2P in 2 months" kinds of remarks.

SWTOR F2P= No Patch Updates?

So here I am, just waiting my ass of with patience for my new computer. One of the reasons I am so exited about my new comp is simply because I can finally be able to run SWTOR without any problems. And today I go to mmo-champ and scroll down and BAM! SWTOR might go F2P. Now I've seen games go F2P before. And I must say with Aion, it worked okey.

My worries with a game, that took so long to develop and has such a rich and powerful story, will just simply cease to exist because there will be no major updates. Is this the case in most F2P games? Are they not being updated as a frequently? Are there no sort of moderators sitting on forums, gving some feedback back to the community and etc etc.

In my honest opinion, I do not belive SWTOR is a F2P game. And I worry for the future of that game, as I've been a raging Star Wars fan since I was a kid.

Please, if you have any feedback on major updates, patches etc on this F2P topic, state them down here. And if you are concerned as well, show some luuuuv.

Thread merged to keep the F2P discussion in one place. ~ Dakia
    Last edited by Dakia; 2012-06-15 at 01:04 PM.

They only go f2p if they think it can increase revenue, so it shouldn't effect patches if it's the right decision.

I "think" that F2P games depend a lot on their micro-transactions, like better gear, unlocking new content and such. If this is productive then their development keeps going as normal.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) They didn't say they are switching to F2P, it is just a possibility (remember Blizzard once stated something similiar, no big deal)
    2) F2P doesn't mean they will give up on content etc.
    3) Stop panicking.