Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Guild Wars 2 Is Solo-Able

Proof is in the pudding...apparently...first, the quote from their offical faq:
    Will Guild Wars 2 be solo-able?
    Yes. You will be able to advance your character to the maximum level without ever joining a group, if you so desire. Most content will be designed in a solo-friendly way, though often with mechanisms for scaling up in difficulty when more players are involved. This will give players the option to experience the game however they prefer.

At the same time, it is important for an MMO community to join together to overcome challenges. Guild Wars 2 will feature challenges that require players to join forces.
    Link For Those That Don't Believe: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/

----------------------------------
    So, they lied. See, to solo an mmo, a game that requires you to engage in combat, means you are able to take on a bulk of the gameplay without the need for grouping. Hence why this is in their faq so people can buy their game, feel they can play the story and not feel that pressure to always find people.

Don't bring up crafting to level to 80, i didn't buy an action mmo so i can sit around playing susie sewing kit. PVP levelling is done in most mmos so thats out of the conversation to. That leaves Renown hearts, exploring, skill finding, jump puzzles (lol wut), dynamic events and of course, the storyline.

To a normal human being that plays mmos Soloing means you can take on a bulk of the content, combat wise to advance. This is a lie. The game isnt difficult, its just that they made the enemies hit you harder than you hit them. its a nuke them first before they nuke you situation. dodging is the ONLY tactic the game allows to survive, you may as well wear bikinis since armour apparently means nothing.

Levels also dictate the entire game. if levels dont matter you cant go into a level 30 zone with a level 6. and this, is JUST like every other mmo, nothing different here.

As most have found, levelling xp is a joke. unless you clear an entire zone, throw in another starter zone, or grind out a few things ive mentioned, you will never be able to 'solo' the game as most people interpret. you cannot take on dynamic events by yourself, 'some' renown hearts you can, but ultimately, Anets idea of soloing is this.

While you're not 'actively' forming a party, simply wandering into an event makes you unofficially 'part' of the group. this isnt soloing since the game is incapable of scaling down to a singlular person and believe me ive read and seen it myself that you simply cannot take on a bulk of the content UNLESS other people are there.

Anet are relying on people to fill the void but wont 'tell' you that. it also eludes to the fact 'some stuff' may require a party up but normal people again think of dungeons or a massive boss fight.

the facts are, the system in place isnt broken, its obtusely intrusive to the person who, when reading the OFFICIAL FAQ, (cant deny it now since its THEIR word) that you will be able to pick up the game, and be able to 'quest' and do the storyline without the need for other players.

now a dev, colin recently stated its 'expected' most players do a bulk on offer, which contradicts with the above faq. normal questing, renown hearts or dynamic events SHOULDNT ever rely purely on people because if a zone is empty you're stuck.

so, now that Anet have proven to say one thing and mean another, how do you explain this?

Deleted
    By your logic, WoW is also soloable.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post

As most have found, levelling xp is a joke. unless you clear an entire zone, throw in another starter zone, or grind out a few things ive mentioned, you will never be able to 'solo' the game as most people interpret. you cannot take on dynamic events by yourself, 'some' renown hearts you can, but ultimately, Anets idea of soloing is this.
    Beta is beta.

Also, your post seems to flop around a lot of topics, and one perceived "lie" from ANet doesn't make them a terrible, terrible company.

Levels also dictate the entire game. if levels dont matter you cant go into a level 30 zone with a level 6. and this, is JUST like every other mmo, nothing different here.
    That's just being silly. They want to give you a decent "route" through a lot of areas, and level bracketing is how they do it. It also gives a structure for your personal story, so you can quest along it as you level.

Don't bring up crafting to level to 80, i didn't buy an action mmo so i can sit around playing susie sewing kit. PVP levelling is done in most mmos so thats out of the conversation to. That leaves Renown hearts, exploring, skill finding, jump puzzles (lol wut), dynamic events and of course, the storyline.
    Your oddly pedantic tone doesn't help your argument, but why cut leveling processes out of the game because "other mmos do it"? Does that suddenly make it less valid, or something?
    Last edited by mmoc8773ad9113; 2012-06-15 at 02:53 PM.

I was able to complete a lot of content solo, other players just made it easier and frankly more enjoyable. The only content that you absolutely can't complete solo is dungeons and Elite DEs (such as Shatterer and Shadow Behemoth. Oh, and PvP...but that's kinda implied by the name.
    Which, frankly, is at least as much content as you can solo in other big-brand MMOs

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    By your logic, WoW is also soloable.

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 03:48 PM ----------

Beta is beta.
    Are dungeons and raids made to be soloable?
    Nope.

You seem to have a passionate hatred for the game and like to attempt to make controversial topics while you grasp for straws.

I don't understand your thread. A large number of DEs are soloable. That + hearts + skill points + exploration = enough to level. It doesn't say "You can solo everything in the game evar!" it says you can level to 80 alone if you desire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    You seem to have a passionate hatred for the game and like to attempt to make controversial topics while you grasp for straws.
    I agree and reported the post because I am sick of this behaviour and every post this person has made is a direct attempt at flame baiting. There are several people who seem hell bent on filling this forum up with anti GW2 rhetoric.

They chose their words very carefully. They say without ever joining a group. Which is 100% correct. You don't have to join a group to take part in dynamic events. They are not going to give you your own server however. Do you have to group. No. Will you be playing alongside other people. Yes. This is an mmo. Get used to it.

That being said. This seems more like a way for GW2 to give the people who don't like grouping (bc with grouping comes a sense of obligation to be social), a way to do many types of content while not grouped.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see a problem. If you want to play all by yourself, choose a single player game. There you go, no problem.

What is the point of playing a MMO game if you just want to play by yourself?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by turbe View Post
    Are dungeons and raids made to be soloable?
    Nope.
    Are GW2 dungeons, PvP and Elite DE's made to be soloable?
    Nope.

Deleted
    so, now that Anet have proven to say one thing and mean another, how do you explain this?
    Most of the content is solo friendly. A lot of the dynamic events might be difficult to complete alone, but tough noodles, it's still an MMO. When you can get 100% world completion and complete the story via solo-play, I'd say they aren't lying.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    I agree and reported the post because I am sick of this behaviour and every post this person has made is a direct attempt at flame baiting. There are several people who seem hell bent on filling this forum up with anti GW2 rhetoric.
    since im not being abusive and pointing out the actual FAQ from the actual team itself im bringing it into question. you're reporting it because you dont like the truth. it clearly states you can solo a majority of the content from level 1 to 80 never needing a group.

how you can defend it is mind boggling. it clearly ISNT designed that way. its their official site, not some made up rumour. and sorry to piss in your pond but its a forum for freedom of speech. unless im being racist or hurtful (unless pointing out flaws in a videogame is a bad notion) then i have the right to question something ive paid for in full.

to show again:
    Yes. You will be able to advance your character to the maximum level without ever joining a group, if you so desire.
    again, you cant. ppl must always be present.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    Every thread he's made (including the one not in the GW2 subforum) is a (not so veiled) slight at GW2, which is just absurd.

---------- Post added 2012-06-15 at 11:01 AM ----------

since im not being abusive and pointing out the actual FAQ from the actual team itself im bringing it into question. you're reporting it because you dont like the truth. it clearly states you can solo a majority of the content from level 1 to 80 never needing a group.

how you can defend it is mind boggling. it clearly ISNT designed that way. its their official site, not some made up rumour. and sorry to piss in your pond but its a forum for freedom of speech. unless im being racist or hurtful (unless pointing out flaws in a videogame is a bad notion) then i have the right to question something ive paid for in full.

to show again:
    Yes. You will be able to advance your character to the maximum level without ever joining a group, if you so desire.
    Yet you ignore all the posts that actually properly counter your argument.

Really? The only time I joined a group (aside from BWE1 when I did so specifically to play and communicate with friends) was to complete AC. I reached level 34 without joining a group, and would count on being able to reach 80 without joining a group if I so desired. You have no argument.
    Last edited by rhandric; 2012-06-15 at 03:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Deleted
    to show again:
    Sorry... can you prove that? I can bet that if I went on with nobody else around, I could get to 80. Also, leveling to the cap is not the entire game.

15+ Year Old Account
    To play a game solo means you just do what you want to do when you want to do it, without being bothered by others in my opinion. Your definition of solo basicly is you have to be alone otherwise it's not solo. That just doesn't make sense. Is it solo when you are fighting a mob and then a NPC comes and joins in? If yes, then why is it not solo if you fight a mob and then a player comes and joins in? To define a MMO as a singleplayer game you also have to define other players as NPCs. Basicly something you don't control.

As a sidenote there are tons of Dynamic Events that can be done yourself without other players. The only real ones you can't do yourself is Elite ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Agile Emily View Post
    Sorry... can you prove that? I can bet that if I went on with nobody else around, I could get to 80. Also, leveling to the cap is not the entire game.
    You can. When I was in Snowden Drifts during the first BWE, I saw VERY few people around (I think I saw one other person in the first couple hours I was there) and was still able to do the vast majority of DEs.

it clearly states you can solo a majority of the content from level 1 to 80 never needing a group.

how you can defend it is mind boggling. it clearly ISNT designed that way.
    Your logic fails so hard its unreal. You can solo a MAJORITY of the content. Majority does not mean ALL.

Again people being present does not mean being in a group/party. Learn to read the implicit inference between the lines of the actual text being written.

Oh no, they LIED. They have proven to say one thing and mean another. It's despicable. Guess we can count Anet to the list of soulless, human flesh eating and EVIL companies like EA and Blizzard, who only crave to shatter your dreams and destroy your soul. Too bad. The list of developers one can trust is getting thinner by the hour.

10+ Year Old Account
    Stop responding to threads like this...