Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Are people being serious about Prometheus? I'm not saying it was terrible but the characters felt like they belonged in a cheesy, Jason-style slasher. It wasn't a patch on the original Alien.

Event Horizon, like everyone else has suggested. Movie is critically panned, but it's pretty quintessential.

Later Hellraiser movies (though terrible) change the series from fantasy-supernatural horror into more of a sci-fi-esque horror franchise.

Pitch Black has been suggested a few times, if you like it then watch Riddick. Riddick is the latest in the series and is basically a remake of Pitch Black with more money, but loses a lot of charm that Pitch Black had. Definitely both are worth a watch, though.

Slither is pretty great.

Into the Mouth of Madness is one of my favorite movies, it's not sci-fi per se but it is lovecraftian horror which is basically multidimensional cosmic horror

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Event Horizon, like everyone else has suggested. Movie is critically panned, but it's pretty quintessential.

Later Hellraiser movies (though terrible) change the series from fantasy-supernatural horror into more of a sci-fi-esque horror franchise.

Pitch Black has been suggested a few times, if you like it then watch Riddick. Riddick is the latest in the series and is basically a remake of Pitch Black with more money, but loses a lot of charm that Pitch Black had. Definitely both are worth a watch, though.

Slither is pretty great.

Into the Mouth of Madness is one of my favorite movies, it's not sci-fi per se but it is lovecraftian horror which is basically multidimensional cosmic horror
    Slither is pretty great, but isn't it more of a deadpan humor horror-comedy? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Pengekaer View Post
    Slither is pretty great, but isn't it more of a deadpan humor horror-comedy? :P
    Yeah, more of a black-horror-sci fi-comedy than horror. Just included it because I love it lol

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, The Mist too. Another Lovecraftian-ish horror movie starring what would become like half of the original Walking Dead cast (seriously, fucking everyone's in this movie).
    Cabin in the Woods, though a comedy, delves a bit into the Lovecraftian side towards the end. Great movie overall, though.

Why are people starting to suggest things like The Mist, Cabin in the Woods, In the Mouth of Madness, Slither...I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those movies(except Slither, which was like Night of the Creeps but without being entertaining) thought the OP was pretty clear(like, to the point that he openly spelled it out) that he was wanting sci-fi horror movies in a space/non-Earth based setting, like, Event Horizon, Alien/Aliens, etc, not just "movies with aliens in them"?

As for my recommendations, Alien, Aliens, Pitch Black, Riddick, Event Horizon, maybe Ghosts of Mars and Alien 3. Despite being set in space(partially), ignore Hellraiser 4 like the fucking plague.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    Ok to start with its an old transitional Sci-Fi, its not very scary by today's standards but it its the grandfather of Modern Horror Sci-Fi: "Planet of the Vampires"
    (interesting side not it was 90% responsible for Alien, Basic Plot, look and feel)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0059792/
    No, it was not 90% responsible for alien. The look was very, very, vaguely similar, and the plot was barely similar at all. If you want to know the real source of Alien, read the 1939 short story "The Black Destroyer"(later incorporated into the novel "Voyage of the Space Beagle") by A.E. van Vogt.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Why are people starting to suggest things like The Mist, Cabin in the Woods, In the Mouth of Madness, Slither...
    Because not very many movies meet OP's exact criteria, and even fewer are actually worth watching.
    Everything I listed at least partially meets his requirements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Are people being serious about Prometheus? I'm not saying it was terrible but the characters felt like they belonged in a cheesy, Jason-style slasher. It wasn't a patch on the original Alien.
    I'll say it was terrible, but those posts are from 2012, maybe it was a simpler time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    Because not very many movies meet OP's exact criteria,
    Which is presumably why he was asking for more, rather than just asking for "sci-fi horror" in general, I would think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Why are people starting to suggest things like The Mist, Cabin in the Woods, In the Mouth of Madness, Slither...I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking those movies(except Slither, which was like Night of the Creeps but without being entertaining) thought the OP was pretty clear(like, to the point that he openly spelled it out) that he was wanting sci-fi horror movies in a space/non-Earth based setting, like, Event Horizon, Alien/Aliens, etc, not just "movies with aliens in them"?

As for my recommendations, Alien, Aliens, Pitch Black, Riddick, Event Horizon, maybe Ghosts of Mars and Alien 3. Despite being set in space(partially), ignore Hellraiser 4 like the fucking plague.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it was not 90% responsible for alien. The look was very, very, vaguely similar, and the plot was barely similar at all. If you want to know the real source of Alien, read the 1939 short story "The Black Destroyer"(later incorporated into the novel "Voyage of the Space Beagle") by A.E. van Vogt.
    (Necro crit: last previous post 2016-07-13)

As to Alien, and inspiration. Yes the story and alien was very loosely based on the Ix, however the director, and the effects department site the Film "Planet of the Vampires" as inspiration, to include many of the basic plot points. The writer Dan O'Bannon was heavily influenced by A.E. van Vogt, but the Director Ridley Scott had his own inspirations. In film we have to look at who and what inspired the Director, as their vision often trumps the original screen play.

The Thing hands down! While its not set in space it is set in the arctic so it fulfils the isolation aspect and its dealing with an alien life form. The practical effects are some of the best ever made and they completely holdup which is insane when you consider how old this movie is. Its a creepy movie that will keep you guessing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Europa Report was pretty good imo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2051879/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Been a while since I've seen it, might have to watch it again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzo View Post
    and to an extent Sunshine.
    This is a bit like Sunshine, loots of talk, but very light on physical action (nobady are butchered, but more subtly like the heart stops beating) Babylon 5: The Lost Tales, a "Movie" direct to DVD contains a smale number of "episods" only watch the first one "Voices in the Dark" do not watch remaining ep becuse it tie deep into Babylon 5 mythos and is quite meaningless if you have not watch Babylon 5.

But "Voices in the Dark" is almost totaly self-sufficient. On a space station deep in space one man seems to be possessed by the devil, and its the real devil, out of desperation the comander call on one of Earth last priests (Earth "faith" is almost entirely atheists)
    Last edited by mmoc957ac7b970; 2016-07-15 at 08:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    Europa Report was pretty good imo

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2051879/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Been a while since I've seen it, might have to watch it again.
    I liked that movie

I remembered one, Screamers. Based on a Phillip K. Dick(Blade Runner, Total Recall, etc) story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tatsu View Post
    Prometheus was a great movie. It is defiantly worth going to see.
    really? i thought prometheus was a massive mess. poorly constructed storyline and sub average acting.
    Hi

Unfortunately there aren't nearly enough good ones. Alien and Aliens are still the kings of the genre.

Also Dark Star :P

I didn't mind Pandorum, it was okay. Personally I thought Event Horizon started out great and went retarded at the end. Can't think of any good modern examples. Sucks because I love that genre.

P.S. Wow, that necro.
    Last edited by Mormolyce; 2016-07-16 at 05:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.