Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

11 Year-Old Vietnamese Girl Can Start Fires With Her Brain!

Pictured: Dr. Hung, director of the university, talks with correspondents. The 11 year old girl allegedly set fire to their home in Ho Chi Minh City.

HA NOI — The case of an 11-year-old girl in HCM City's Tan Binh District claimed to have supernatural fire-starting powers is continuing to baffle scientists. The girl, whose family claims she has an unusual mental power that can cause objects to burst into flames, has drawn a great deal of attention from the Vietnamese media.

The girl's father said he first became aware of that his child was unusual when the family home's electrical network suffered several short circuits. Electricians were called to fix the short circuit but could not find the cause behind the power failures. He said the girl was taken to other houses where the same phenomenon took place each time.

Pictured: Correspondents and members of the press surround the young girl's house. An expert only identified as 'T' will be monitoring the girl.

Her mattresses, fans and other equipment have burst into flames. The hotel room where her family stayed two weeks ago during their holiday on Vung Tau beach also went up in a blaze. Recently, the girl burnt a corner of the toilet seat. Sometimes, her clothes suddenly burst into flames. On May 12, the family’s third floor was burnt down. Her family now guards her around the clock to prevent any possible incident. When she goes to sleep, water buckets and a wet towel are placed next to her bed to put out the fire in case of emergency.

The family then realised that objects were burnt when the girl approached them, although her body did not radiate any electric sparks, said her father. A team of scientists from the Centre of Research and Application for Radio-active Geo-biological Energy at Hong Bang University has also carried out tests on the girl and confirmed that she is unusual. Prof. Nguyen Manh Hung, director of the university, said that the girl is capable of burning things arround her. "This is a very strange case not only in Viet Nam but for the world," said Hung. Brain scans discovered an unusual line on the right part of the girl's brain, said the doctor. "She burned objects that were located near and far from her, so there is no specific distance limit," said Hung.

Pictured: The third floor of the family's home after the fire broke out. The little girl’s father talks with scientists.

Samples of her blood, skin tissue and urine along with objects from the girl's home have been taken for further analysis, he said. Nguyen Phuc Giac Hai, a scientist at the Research Centre of Human Potential, said the girl was a global scientific phenomenon. "This case is special because it has lasted for more than one month and fires have occurred wherever she has been," said Hai. He said the centre is going to hold a conference next week to find out the causes of the girl's condition and discuss ways to ensure her protection. Scientists at the Viet Nam Physics Institute are also studying the case and will soon release their findings.

Dr Nguyen Manh Hung, rector of Hong Bang University, told the family on Monday the school will send an expert who would constantly be with the girl, only identified as T., to observe and record all occurrences. Hung made the decision after doing tests on her, including a scan that found a red streak on the right side of her brain. The streak disappeared when she wore a quartz clip on her wrist but then she felt uncomfortable as if electricity was coursing through her body.

She can reportedly set things within a 20 meter radius on fire without even having to focus on or touch them. It is also said that the girl had a serious accident at the age of 3.

Sources:
    http://en.baomoi.com/Home/world/viet...sts/265042.epi
    http://www.thanhniennews.com/index/p...by-expert.aspx
    http://eyedrd.org/2012/05/eleven-yea...her-brain.html
    http://english.vietnamnet.vn/en/soci...ther-fire.html

I looked into this a few weeks back... all the sources are sketchy as hell. Until someone releases a video of the girl actually burning something, I call bullshit.

Thailand is the same place where they believe tattoos will give them the powers of animal spirits.

Edit: Just realized this is Vietnam. Same people, different language.
    Last edited by vizzle; 2012-06-17 at 05:37 AM.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

10+ Year Old Account
    They mentioned their electrical wiring having shorts and whatnot, my first thought is you are living in Vietnam, after all...

I'm going to stick with that theory for now. If it turns out to be the girl after all, then awesome. I've always wanted to learn fire bending.

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    They mentioned their electrical wiring having shorts and whatnot, my first thought is you are living in Vietnam, after all...
    That doesn't explain the toilet seat. :P

I love the fact that she is under observation by someone only known as "T".

X-Men (Professor X) anybody? Hehe.
    Last edited by mmoc338fdc3aa9; 2012-06-17 at 05:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Thailand is the same place where they believe tattoos will give them the powers of animal spirits.
    And lady-boy beauty pageants. All sorts of false advertising going on in that country...

Also, the fact that the only "video evidence" they have is a 5 second recording of a cellphone camera where you can't even see anything properly just screams bullshit.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

honestly i hope shes the real deal so i can go learn how to fire bend from a 11 yr old toph like girl lol

10+ Year Old Account
    I looked into this a few weeks back... all the sources are sketchy as hell. Until someone releases a video of the girl actually burning something, I call bullshit.

Edit: Just realized this is Vietnam. Same people, different language.
    Man you're a natural and Cracked-themed posts.

So.. she rolled a fire mage. Just kidding. We'll I'd want a video really, or I won't believe it.

Deleted
    I found a picture of her and her teddy:
    http://www.gamersbook.com/repository..._large.png?v=0

I just had to link that, being the LoL player i am.

15+ Year Old Account
    If that was realy we'd have HD footage of it now in addition to testimonies by a few dozen Phds. Because it would pretty much revolutionise everything we know about the human brain.

Good for her. Now she can win $1,000,000 from the Randi prize.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

Sketchy as hell is right. Can't exactly point it out, as grammar and spelling policing is infraction worthy, but yea...
    (speaking of the copy-pasted article, not the OP themselve.)
    Last edited by openair; 2012-06-17 at 06:15 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have x-ray vision, but I don't tell anyone cause I don't want the military to abduct me and experiment on me!
    Look! Words!

I have the power to make bad things happen at the worst possible time (to myself). Always. :|
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    And most of the time, they don't supply that.

Extraordinary stuff just doesn't happen.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Quote Originally Posted by semaphore View Post
    I agree

I want to see some more substantial proof of this sort of thing, before I would believe it
    Rest In Peace, World of Warcraft. Subscriber count doesn't matter, WoW has been dead in spirit for a while
    Rest In Peace, Star Wars the Old Republic. SWTOR is a fun RPG, but a bad MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a girl in Vietnam claiming to have supernatural powers with no creditable people supporting her. Sure.
    "Death is not kind. It's dark, black as far as you can see, and you're all alone."