Page 1 of 2
LastLast

In light of G4s top 100 list

In light of G4s top 100 list, its come clear that no one will ever agree on a top 100 video games. after reading all the comments, people are trying to fit 200 games into a top 100 and 40games into a top 20. Some games too high, some too low, some neglected. We all have our different opinions. I have a question for the entire gaming community.

If you had to choose 1 game that should be in everyones top 10 games what would it be?
    In my opinion, The game should meet the following criteria
    1)Great Gameplay
    2)A new innovation
    3)It set a standard

IMO, story isnt a factor, its an added bonus.
    Now before half the community says Halo 2, FF6, and Zelda:OoT, really think about what game you think everyone should have in their top 10 without argument.

For example, I think Shadow of the Colossus should be in everyones top 10. For me personally, its probably around 8-10, the lower end. a close game for me would be goldeneye, but ill stick to the above.

What do you all think people should recognize as truly a top 10 game of all time.

IN before Halo spam, final fantasy spam, zelda spam.

If you do go the route of the aforementioned games, why?
    Last edited by Burlacher; 2012-06-18 at 07:00 AM.

Deleted
    ...story is a major factor for many gamers, hence why the RPG genre is so popular. Any game is going to be pretty bland if there's no plot backing it up, though a good story can turn a mediocre game into a major success if it's well written enough. On the other hand, a game can be let down considerably if it has decent mechanics but no story to speak of. If you don't know -why- you're doing something, it isn't a good game - as far as I'm concerned, anyway.

Why do people keep talking about this?

It's a shitty list by a shitty source.

Nothing more needs to be said.

Shadow of the Colossus is... frightening tbh. It seems cool, but not a game I'd really try out anytime soon. Goldeneye even less, I don't really like FPS games.

Super Mario Bros. imo. Not in my top 10, but we all owe it for every game today.

i would give my list of favorite games of all time, since I don't think there's any real way to substantiate a list of the best of anything.

people say patrón is the best tequila in the world, when to me, it's urine. don julio añejo all the way for me.

but back to the OP:

1. fallout 3
    (my favorite video game of all time. i get completely lost in the world, on purpose, just wandering the capital wastelands- often with no aim other than to wander.)

2. skyrim
    (from 11-11-11 to mid April, I played no other video game. i was absolutely captivated. i have never played a more expansive video game.)

3. uncharted 2
    (the most cinematic gaming experience of my life, and by far my favorite 3rd person action game ever.)

4. zelda 2: the adventure of link
    (i remember an entire summer looking for those heart containers. my first introduction to the idea of the rpg - leveling, looting, exploring, upgrading. even today, i see the game's influence elsewhere.)

5. world of warcraft
    (i played for 6 years, so that has to mean something.)

6. morrowind
    (my first elder scrolls game, and the reason i'll buy anything else in the series. and i trapped vivec's soul in a gem. how much fun was that?)

7. baldur's gate
    (i played this game for months, and recently returned to it just for fun. this is the seed that turned me into a collector of loot in all of the single player games that ive enjoyed over the years.)

8. half-life 2
    (i hate FPS because i'm terrible at them. this game is an exception. i think the physics in this game blow just about everything out of the water, for me anyway. and to me, the gravity gun is the single most awesome weapon ever put into a video game. furthermore, the ravenholm level still keeps me on the edge of my seat. im actually currently playing through the console version of the orange box. still a blast)

9. diablo 2
    (i loved diablo, but diablo 2 broke it open for me. it was so much more open than the original diablo, and for me, redefined what a hack and slash should be)

10. final fantasy vii
    (yeah, i know. but i loved it while i played it, and recently replayed through it again. i thought the cinematics were amazing at the time, and although the graphics haven't aged well, it is still an amazing and engaging game.)

honorable mentions: bioshock, everquest, starfox 64, goldeneye, and the original diablo.

i think those ten games should show up on any 100 "best" list, with the term "best," again, being completely subjective. and as you can see, the fun-factor is critical in my opinion of what constitutes a great game.

and to give everyone a bit of context i had an original atari 2600, and i've played exactly 62% of the games on the g4 list. math is easy when we have increments of 100.
    Last edited by franzfanon; 2012-06-18 at 03:17 PM. Reason: forgot to put the "why."

I'd say Pokémon Red/Blue, though I'm not too sure... Super Mario Bros and StarCraft would also be strong contenders. I'm mainly not sure about the innovation part, it's hard to say if someone has done something before, when something is actually new or just altered, etc.

for me:

1.) Dark Souls/Demon's Souls
    2.) pokemon red/blue
    3.) FFVI (not 7, 7 did NOT set a standard iin my eyes
    4.) Deus Ex
    5.) Neverwinter Nights
    6.) Zelda (NES)
    7.) Tetris
    8.) Super Mario

That G4 list was nothing but a troll fest, I don't see why anyone would give it the attention it craves.

my personal favorite games of all time
    1. Sonic Adventure 2
    2. World of Warcraft
    3. Zelda Ocarina of Time
    4. Zelda Majoras Mask
    5. Soul calibur 2
    6. Super Mario world
    7. Halo 2 is up there for me
    8. Starcraft
    9. Sonic adventure 1
    10. FF13-2

1. Super Mario 64 - Set new standards for 3D Platformers / Adventure games. Plus, its Mario!
    2. LoZ: OOT - Amazing story. Amazing graphics. Amazing gameplay.
    3. Metal Gear Solid - Took skill, had story, good graphics.
    4. Gran Turismo - Set new standards for racing games
    5. Halo: Combat Evolved
    6. StarCraft
    7. World of WarCraft
    8. EverQuest (Little known game tbh, but it revolutionized RPG's and MMO's, and helped pioneer the online gaming market)
    9. Soul Caliber
    10. Legacy of Kane: Soul Reaver

I think ordering them is stupid, so this is no particular order:

Final Fantasy 6
    Legend of Zelda Skyward Sword
    Goldeneye
    Diablo 2
    Half-Life
    Portal
    Super Mario World
    Gran Turismo
    Tetris
    Street Fighter 2

These are games that, in their time, completely reinvented genres, systems, or people's thinking about games.

Deleted
    My personal top 4 games are all LoZ titles, I guess I'm just a fanboy =D

Since this is turning into a top 10 thread, here's my 2 cents:

1) Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past
    2) Space Quest IV
    3) Half Life
    4) Battlefield 1942
    5) Grim Fandango
    6) Mechwarrior 2
    7) QuakeWorld: Team Fortress
    8) Counter-Strike (Beta 4 was my fave, but the original in general)
    9) Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    10) Leisure Suit Larry 7: Love For Sail
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

for me

1. F.E.A.R
    2. Commandos
    3. Commandos 2
    4. Commandos 3
    5. Zeus: Master of Olympus
    6. World of Warcraft
    7. Deadly Dozen
    8. Empire Earth
    9. CMR 2.0
    10. Halo: Combat Evolved

Quote Originally Posted by franzfanon View Post

2. skyrim
    (from 11-11-11 to mid April, I played no other video game. i was absolutely captivated. i have never played a more expansive video game.)
    Honestly cannot see how skyrim would ever make it into anyones top 10. Probably has the worst inventory of an rpg ever. The completely unbalanced, and horrible UI of a talent system. Relatively short main quest for an elder scrolls game, and overall a far weaker story and any of its predecessors. Poorly balanced skills, get to level 100 Blacksmithing by making a million iron bracers. And then with enchanting you can make all the best gear/weapons in the game without killing anyone. The overall simplistic feel of the game as an RPG. Don't have to repair, teleportation/fast travel, minimal/no consequences of your actions, simple means of upgrading gear, etc. Like in oblivion the level scaling is counter intuitive, as you get stronger all your enemies get stronger as well, this defeating the purpose of leveling up. Usual round of bethesda game-breaking bugs.

Skyrim is decent at best, no where near as good for its time as morrowind, oblivion, or even daggerfall were.

Quote Originally Posted by tuesday the paladin View Post
    Honestly cannot see how skyrim would ever make it into anyones top 10. Probably has the worst inventory of an rpg ever. The completely unbalanced, and horrible UI of a talent system. Relatively short main quest for an elder scrolls game, and overall a far weaker story and any of its predecessors. Poorly balanced skills, get to level 100 Blacksmithing by making a million iron bracers. And then with enchanting you can make all the best gear/weapons in the game without killing anyone. The overall simplistic feel of the game as an RPG. Don't have to repair, teleportation/fast travel, minimal/no consequences of your actions, simple means of upgrading gear, etc. Like in oblivion the level scaling is counter intuitive, as you get stronger all your enemies get stronger as well, this defeating the purpose of leveling up. Usual round of bethesda game-breaking bugs.

Skyrim is decent at best, no where near as good for its time as morrowind, oblivion, or even daggerfall were.

that's a respectable opinion to have. and try as i might (which i would never), i could never convince you otherwise. i also know a number of hardcore gamers that disagree with you in terms of the game, opinions which also have their own merit based on experience.

i will present two points, based on personal experience. the first, i'm not sure of many games the alter the equation of having to make a zillion of something to increase a certain trade skill. i'm not saying there aren't alternatives to this equation, but i am saying that this is the general norm, and not an indictment of skyrim's system, specifically.

secondly and as far as "game-breaking bugs" that you mentioned, i must have been lucky. aside from a couple of backwards flying dragons and bookcases that didn't work, i didn't have any troubles. and certainly nothing that didn't allow me to complete the game.

it'd be interesting to see your own list, though i can understand if you don't have time to post it. just for a little context.
    Last edited by franzfanon; 2012-06-18 at 04:01 PM.

Story is an added bonus?

Are you fucking with me?

Yea sure a game can be something completely simplistic like Super Mario where you just Side Scroll through worlds and all the plot ever amounts to is "Save the Princess" ... But gaming has evolved, Times have changed. Now Developers can incorporate Incredible Stories into their games which is what gives it the Headline. Not only that but the best thing about a Games story compared to a movie is that they have SO much more freedom to branch plotlines out into multiple Events (Mass Effect, Witcher ETC) which creates a captivating story that doesn't just work once, but can be enthralling even after 2,3,4 playthrough's.

You list Zelda: OoT as something that "Everyone auto has in their Top 10" ... And yet you can sit there and say that STORY is a BONUS? Fuck off .. If all you got to do in Zelda OoT was run around in circles in Hyrule doing chicken collecting and Cutting down bushes with no main story to drive the game it wouldn't have been NEARLY as memorable.

Story can make or break a game just as easily as gameplay. For someone like me, story is MORE important then the Gameplay, I can play a game with an INCREDIBLE story and meh gameplay, but I can't play a game with Completely revolutionary Gameplay but a story that makes me want to Vomit.

And TOP X lists will always be personal. For me The Witcher 2 is something i'd put in my Top 10 EASILY. But so many would disagree, just the nature. But as long as KOTOR is in there, I'll agree to that list.

Quote Originally Posted by Daverid View Post
    Story is an added bonus?

Are you fucking with me?

Yea sure a game can be something completely simplistic like Super Mario where you just Side Scroll through worlds and all the plot ever amounts to is "Save the Princess" ... But gaming has evolved, Times have changed. Now Developers can incorporate Incredible Stories into their games which is what gives it the Headline. Not only that but the best thing about a Games story compared to a movie is that they have SO much more freedom to branch plotlines out into multiple Events (Mass Effect, Witcher ETC) which creates a captivating story that doesn't just work once, but can be enthralling even after 2,3,4 playthrough's.

You list Zelda: OoT as something that "Everyone auto has in their Top 10" ... And yet you can sit there and say that STORY is a BONUS? Fuck off .. If all you got to do in Zelda OoT was run around in circles in Hyrule doing chicken collecting and Cutting down bushes with no main story to drive the game it wouldn't have been NEARLY as memorable.

Story can make or break a game just as easily as gameplay. For someone like me, story is MORE important then the Gameplay, I can play a game with an INCREDIBLE story and meh gameplay, but I can't play a game with Completely revolutionary Gameplay but a story that makes me want to Vomit.

And TOP X lists will always be personal. For me The Witcher 2 is something i'd put in my Top 10 EASILY. But so many would disagree, just the nature. But as long as KOTOR is in there, I'll agree to that list.
    Yes because the proper and rational response to someone stating an opinion is to rave and froth at the mouth about how wrong their completely subjective opinion is, and then go on to state your own as gospel.
    Corsair 500r - i5-3570k@4.8 - H100i - 580 DirectCUII - Crucial M4
    Lenovo y580 - i7-3630QM - 660M - Crucial M4 mSATA

I'm not going to give a top 10, but theres only a few games on my list that I revisit from time to time that imo should be up there:

- Dune 2
    - Half Life
    - Age of Empires
    - Command & Conquer

why, counter-strike of course.