Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    fools... a high end string can have 120 str+120vit + 19-20% and u ll NEVER replace that ...only problem is price ;p

Yet melee reduction per point is the highest EH against melee.

+1 Melee Reduction
    +16933 EHP melee; +1.27%

vs

+1 All Resist
    +1330 EHP; +0.13%

+10 Armor
    +1216 EHP; +0.11%

+1 VIT
    +1150 EHP; +0.11%

+1 STR
    +122 EHP; +0.01%

Granted not all mobs melee you, but the majority do.

Obviously these figures are for my current stats, but it gives you an indication of why a 18-20% string sells so well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakto View Post
    Yet melee reduction per point is the highest EH against melee.

+1 Melee Reduction
    +16933 EHP melee; +1.27%

vs

+1 All Resist
    +1330 EHP; +0.13%

+10 Armor
    +1216 EHP; +0.11%

+1 VIT
    +1150 EHP; +0.11%

+1 STR
    +122 EHP; +0.01%

Granted not all mobs melee you, but the majority do.

Obviously these figures are for my current stats, but it gives you an indication of why a 18-20% string sells so well.
    Using your EH values, I compared a few high end Strings and Archon rares. Archon wins by a small margin, because it has potential for about 150-175+ in both strength and vitality at the same time, all resists up to 70-80, and armor bonus. Of course, it's a rare roll, but so is a good string. The majority of mobs do melee you, but the biggest issue people tend to have in inferno is with other types of damage (looking at you, arcane enchanted and molten).

If just trying to finish Inferno, any can do, really. If trying to be the very best like no one ever was, a beastly Archon belt will most likely be the best.
    Last edited by Darklurker; 2012-06-19 at 12:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipopp View Post
    fools... a high end string can have 120 str+120vit + 19-20% and u ll NEVER replace that ...only problem is price ;p
    The only problem is that it doesnt exist, currently on the AH there isnt even a 60/60 Str + Vit, so I don't know what fantasy land you're finding yours. Meanwhile with the rare belts capable of far higher than 120/120 with great examples in plentiful supply.

So assuming you have this 20% string, it gets demoted to a low end cheapy when facing ranged/magic monsters, monsters that are often the most dangerous.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2012-06-19 at 01:36 AM.

Honestly, I think String of Ears is very overrated. If you NEED it to do white mobs, then champions will destroy you anyway until you get better gear. The main threat from champions is their magic damage, which String of Ears doesn't reduce. Some enemies are also ranged, which String doesn't reduce. Even the Soul Ripper's tongue attacks count as ranged.

Even most bosses have big magic damage nukes. Diablo is like 70% magic damage, Azmodan has his meteor, which hits like 3-4 times harder than his melee, and potentially more if you take it from far away. The only bosses that String is really amazing for is Rakanoth and Izual.

I get the feeling that people forget about superstition's 20% reduction to non physical damage, melee damage reduction is very valuable.

A 10-16% SOE is likely not good , but anything more starts to increase its value.

Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone know a EH spreadsheet program that actually takes LoH/IAS calculations into account?
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

I don't like string. Melee damage is not what kills me. Magic damage and lack of dps are the issues. Maybe on some mob packs having string in bag to switch around is useful, but I love 230+ str on belt too much.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.