Blizzard c.2000

Diablo 2

Starcraft

Blizzard c. 2012

Starcraft 2

Diablo 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zEmini View Post
    Pretty much ZERO re playability. Why role the same class twice? This game needs to address that soon.
    By having an achievement for getting the same class to 60 twice I think they want you to role it on regular and HC. Just a thought, though.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

its you, still having fun after 250+ hours in, than again I dont bore easy and I enjoy this genre of game..beats doing same ole crap in WoW..People still playing the latest WoW expansion boggles my mind I was bored of it 6 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOjoloco View Post
    its you, still having fun after 250+ hours in, than again I dont bore easy and I enjoy this genre of game..beats doing same ole crap in WoW..People still playing the latest WoW expansion boggles my mind I was bored of it 6 months ago.
    Yeah, I'm at 160 hours with the same char, loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post

it is completely unreasonable for anyone anywhere to be upset because of their own expectations let them down
    Pray tell on what grounds does one purchase a video game if not on the expectation and anticipation that it will be fun? Do you buy them because you think it won't be fun? Or do you simply give Blizzard your money out of charity? OF COURSE PEOPLE EXPECT TO HAVE FUN WHEN THEY BUY A GAME. That is as position so elementary that I cannot believe it has to stated. It follows from this that OF COURSE PEOPLE WILL BE UPSET IF THE EXPECTATION OF FUN IS NOT MET. Some expectations are reasonable. I expect when I go to a restaurant and eat I will be served food in a timely fashion for example. If not then you have every right to vent that frustration as well. Your attempt to turn people who are rightly disappointed with diablo 3 into children is also noted and is HILARIOUS. Let me restate my position for you in bold

the position stated in bold is so draconian capricious and arbitrary that I simply can't believe you live that. Some expectations are not reasonable to have while others are entirely reasonable and it is the fault of the developers of they are not met.

In then end I would argue it is you who is this child. Simply screaming no no no no no in denial to people who have every right to be upset that their purchase was not fun is tantamount to a child throwing a temper tantrum.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-06-20 at 11:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    Pray tell on what grounds does one purchase a video game if not on the expectation and anticipation that it will be fun?
    I'm really growing tired of repeating myself. I don't know if it's the language I'm using but clearly the message isn't getting through. I'm not saying people don't have expectations. I'm not saying people don't get disappointed when their expectations let them down. I'm not even saying some people get upset and throw hissy fits because they got disappointed.

Do you buy them because you think it won't be fun? Or do you simply give Blizzard your money out of charity? OF COURSE PEOPLE EXPECT TO HAVE FUN WHEN THEY BUY A GAME. That is as position so elementary that I cannot believe it has to stated.
    Believe it or not, there are people in this world who understand that you shouldn't automatically expect to have fun simply because you buy a game, even if said game comes from a company who has produced entertaining and fun games in the past. Those kinds of people can control their expectations, and some even expect to be disappointed, but usually these are the kinds of people who go "well, we'll just have to wait and see whether it's fun or not".

The same goes for new records by their favorite bands, or new movies they go watch.

I know it's so easy to belong to that group of people who expect everything to blow them away. There are a lot of those people around. They're the kind of people who for example go on imdb and vote 1 because the movie they just watched was so bad they just have to vent their frustration. Sound familiar?

OF COURSE PEOPLE WILL BE UPSET IF THE EXPECTATION OF FUN IS NOT MET
    No. Not "of course". Not all people will be upset. Most will be disappointed, I'm sure. A large part of those people will just shrug their shoulders and go "oh well, should've seen that coming", and continue on with their lives. Those are the reasonable people.

Some expectations are reasonable. I expect when I go to a restaurant and eat I will be served food in a timely fashion for example. If not then you have every right to vent that frustration as well.
    Yeah, I'm well aware there are people in this world who complain when their meal is late, or when it's not exactly what they ordered, or whatever. You know those people who fidget and look at their watch and grumble and gesture in a manner with which they're clearly trying to indicate that they're upset, when they're queuing, waiting for their turn at the bank teller or some such place? Those are the unreasonable people.

Your attempt to turn people who are rightly disappointed with diablo 3 into children is also noted and is HILARIOUS. Let me restate my position for you in bold
    What's hilarious is your inability to differentiate between being disappointed and being upset. How about you go read my last post again.

the position stated in bold is so draconian capricious and arbitrary that I simply can't believe you live that. Some expectations are not reasonable to have while others are entirely reasonable and it is the fault of the developers of they are not met.
    Once again, and I guess I could keep hammering this point home ad infinitum, as it just doesn't seem to sink in: I know some expectations are reasonable. I'm just saying it's unreasonable to be upset.

In then end I would argue it is you who is this child. Simply screaming no no no no no in denial to people who have every right to be upset that their purchase was not fun is tantamount to a child throwing a temper tantrum.
    I'm sure you would argue a lot of nonsensical things. That doesn't surprise me whatsoever. The fact of the matter here is though that I'm simply stating that I believe it's completely unreasonable for someone to be upset when their expectations aren't met. Live with it.

Believe it or not, there are people in this world who understand that you shouldn't automatically expect to have fun simply because you buy a game, even if said game comes from a company who has produced entertaining and fun games in the past. Those kinds of people can control their expectations, and some even expect to be disappointed, but usually these are the kinds of people who go "well, we'll just have to wait and see whether it's fun or not".

But that's the whole fucking point. I don't get why else you would buy a video game if not under the expectation that you would have fun.

---------- Post added 2012-06-21 at 12:00 AM ----------

I'm sure you would argue a lot of nonsensical things. That doesn't surprise me whatsoever. The fact of the matter here is though that I'm simply stating that I believe it's completely unreasonable for someone to be upset when their expectations aren't met. Live with it.
    It's not my place to tell you your beliefs are unreasonable. Simply it is my belief that your position is unreasonable and from that it is not unreasonable that people are upset that they game they expected to be fun wasn't. It's something so elementary I'm amazed it's gone this far. Being upset is just the natural course that follows from disapointment. People are not children, they are consumers who are rightly displeased by their purchase and have chosen to express it.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-06-21 at 12:02 AM.

Deleted
    I don't get why else you would buy a video game if not under the expectation that you would have fun.
    Well I don't know. How about you buy the game with the expectation that it may be good and you may have fun, while also acknowledging it may not be good, and you may be disappointed?

When that's your expectation, then I would say it's pretty hard to be upset about it, when you knew beforehand you might be disappointed. You'd think it's one of the most basic life lessons a person can learn; learning to be disappointed and managing your expectations.

Well I don't know. How about you buy the game with the expectation that it may be good and you may have fun, while also acknowledging it may not be good, and you may be disappointed?

When that's your expectation, then I would say it's pretty hard to be upset about it, when you knew beforehand you might be disappointed. You'd think its one of the most basic life lessons a person can learn; learning to be disappointed and managing your expectations.
    Sorry that's a truly sadistic way to live. I don't see my self walking around the world as a flat line anticipating nothing either good or bad. Most people have some expectations whether positive or negative and that's perfectly reasonable. Hell I can't believe you life like that. Without any expectations how do you plan ahead for anything? It is again also perfectly reasonable given Blizzards long history of producing quality games that people would be rightly upset that they didn't have fun with Diablo. Clearly for many that didn't happen and they are naturally a bit upset about the whole thing. Why you think it's unreasonable is beyond me but different strokes I guess.
    Last edited by Leonard McCoy; 2012-06-21 at 12:17 AM.

Deleted
    Sorry that's a truly sadistic way to live. I don't see my self walking around the world as a flat line anticipating nothing either good or bad. Most people have some expectations whether positive or negative and that's perfectly reasonable. It is again also perfectly reasonable given Blizzards long history of producing quality games that people would be rightly upset that they didn't have fun with Diablo. Clearly for many that didn't happen and they are naturally a bit upset about the whole thing. Why you think it's unreasonable is beyond me but different strokes I guess.
    Sadistic? Sadism has nothing to do with this. Masochism might, but even that's far fetched.

The whole concept of "being rightly upset" is nothing but a product of the entitlement culture we live in. People have gotten used to getting what they want when they want it, not having to struggle in any way or form, and not having to settle for anything. Even those who have had to struggle or settle have been brainwashed by the constant bombardment of the media telling them how they're special and how they can be anything they want, when it's all complete and utter BS. There's this mentality that you can demand anything and call your demands reasonable, and there's a complete lack of empathetic ability - whether being versed in the subject matter or not, doesn't matter - leading to people not understanding at all where others are coming from or what it actually takes to do certain things, such as create a computer game.

Why do I think it's unreasonable for people to cry day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year, how the expectations of the "fun"-ness and quality of a computer game let them down, on forums where people are trying to discuss said game - people who actually enjoy the game, and who really couldn't give a rat's ass about some random guy being let down by the game - without having to read half a dozen thread subjects on the main page where someone is bitching and whining for the nth time, without having to read posts in threads not having anything to do with someone's whining, well I don't know.

I guess it's just tiresome as hell. If someone needs to vent, posting on the forums is completely unreasonable towards the other people. I know this because I've done it myself on occasion, but I've tried to learn from it. If someone needs to vent, then they should seek therapy, or bother their friends or something.

In any case, disagree or not, that's how I feel. I feel it's unreasonable for people to be upset about things they wouldn't need to be upset, when it affects other people. That won't change. I just hope there's no more misconstruing of my stance.

Sadistic? Sadism has nothing to do with this. Masochism might, but even that's far fetched.

The whole concept of "being rightly upset" is nothing but a product of the entitlement culture we live in. People have gotten used to getting what they want when they want it, not having to struggle in any way or form, and not having to settle for anything. Even those who have had to struggle or settle have been brainwashed by the constant bombardment of the media telling them how they're special and how they can be anything they want, when it's all complete and utter BS. There's this mentality that you can demand anything and call your demands reasonable, and there's a complete lack of empathetic ability - whether being versed in the subject matter or not, doesn't matter - leading to people not understanding at all where others are coming from or what it actually takes to do certain things, such as create a computer game.

Why do I think it's unreasonable for people to cry day after day, week after week, month after month and year after year, how the expectations of the "fun"-ness and quality of a computer game let them down, on forums where people are trying to discuss said game - people who actually enjoy the game, and who really couldn't give a rat's ass about some random guy being let down by the game - without having to read half a dozen thread subjects on the main page where someone is bitching and whining for the nth time, without having to read posts in threads not having anything to do with someone's whining, well I don't know.

I guess it's just tiresome as hell. If someone needs to vent, posting on the forums is completely unreasonable towards the other people. I know this because I've done it myself on occasion, but I've tried to learn from it. If someone needs to vent, then they should seek therapy, or bother their friends or something.

In any case, disagree or not, that's how I feel. I feel it's unreasonable for people to be upset about things they wouldn't need to be upset, when it affects other people. That won't change. I just hope there's no more misconstruing of my stance.
    Arguing about what's reasonable as if it could be anything other than subjective. What is with this whole "entitlement" thing? Is this the new word for you forum hipsters to butcher and misuse? Having expectations that a game will be good is not entitlement. If a person said, "Uhh this game sucks, I only deserve the best" now that would be entitlement. The former is called critiquing. A forum is for discussion; it doesn't matter if you find the discussion unreasonable. I find your pseudo-intellectual jibber jabber unreasonable but by all means post away.

Of course D2 was better, but also D2 was hacked to shit. I remember when we got Xpac items on non xpac severs, and we for about 6 months shitted on everyone. Soj's were so duped, i had 4 mules full of them since they became the only viable currency. Meph, and Baal runs, and if i was going to bed, NP, i had bots to do it for me. 1400+ hacked MF bow....

Who wouldn't have more fun, now we gotta work for our shit. Which is shitty

I think i've reached my limit with this game for now, the patch was merely the straw that broke the camels back. I enjoyed the game and played it for a fair while (though not as long as D2) but have reached a point where there really isnt anything for me to do in the game anymore as I had already cleared all content and prefered the game before the patch.

I don't mind the difficulty drop, if anything I think it was needed, but many of the other changes leave me feeling a bit "meh" over the whole thing, plenty more games on the shelves to play. I did enjoy D3 but I'm probably not gonna play it much in the near future.

The biggest thing for me was how unresponsive the game was, partly server latency and partly what seems to be a "hit recovery" or "interupt" thing that the monsters can do which leaves you standing there spamming abilities and they just wont fire, sometimes this happens even while not under attack where you hit an ability and then realise it did not happen. This for me has been the single most frustrating thing in the game, where intense battles are merely because of this and instead of creating a tense and fun player influenced gameplay it creates a frustrating experience that just pisses the player (me) off.

If they fixed that issue I would probably play it again.

Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    Having expectations that a game will be good is not entitlement.
    not only is it not entitlement its also quite the compliment to Blizzard. People EXPECT quality from them because they've put out nothing but quality for years D3 being the exception IMHO. As for the entitlement generation thing it's just an easy way to dismiss someone else's opinion. I'm not to much younger than the Sydanyo but apparently 3 years is a big enough gap that I'm part of the entitlement generation.

You have to consider the majority of players(at least a large portion) are Warcraft players that are on break that got it free with annual pass/or bought it.

Once Mists of Pandaria comes out, there wont be a new thread everyday complaining about Diablo III.

Overall, for a game that was 12 yrs in the works, consider me unimpressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wootylicious View Post
    so ye basicly, did diablo 3 get old faster than diablo 2?

For me it did, beaten diablo on inferno on softcore by now and just cant get myself to log on and play it at all now. I can remember spendin countless and countless hours playin good old diablo 2 just grindin away happily and so on. Is it just me that has grown out of games like these and want more from a game nowadays than i did when i was a kid?

Its even funny how much hype i put into the game, waiting and waiting for it to launch and when it finaly was here i was like "OMFGCANTGETENUFFOFTHISSAUCE!!!!111". Shure it was happy fun times playing it trough with friends the first few difficulties but for some reason the game just didnt live up to the hype i had built up in my mind.
    Same thing happens in the video game industry as the movie industry when you don't really like the third movie in a trilogy that much. It just costs 3-6 times as much as a movie ticket. If you played up until recently you had more hope for the game than I did. I stopped playing it after the first month or so.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by damntree View Post
    Having expectations that a game will be good is not entitlement.
    not only is it not entitlement its also quite the compliment to Blizzard. People EXPECT quality from them because they've put out nothing but quality for years D3 being the exception IMHO. As for the entitlement generation thing it's just an easy way to dismiss someone else's opinion. I'm not to much younger than the Sydanyo but apparently 3 years is a big enough gap that I'm part of the entitlement generation.
    Having expectations about the quality of a game is not entitlement. What you do with your disappointment when your expectations let you down is what makes it entitlement.

Normal people would go "Damn, it wasn't what I expected, what a disappointment. Oh well, time to move on with my life", and that would be it. Entitled people go "WTF!? I EXPECTED A GREAT GAME AND THAT'S WHAT I'M ENTITLED TO GET! THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE!" and then proceed to vent and rage on forums. Especially on forums which have absolutely no bearing on what happens to the game whatsoever as far as development goes. That's unreasonable.

If we were talking about something like universal healthcare, something that should be guaranteed for every living human being, then you'd expect someone to be upset when they don't get it, if they live in a first world country where it would have to be a conscious decision on the part of the people in power to deny people healthcare, and has nothing to do with resources. They wouldn't be upset because they expected to get it, but because it's just morally right and just.

We're talking about a computer game, though. If you didn't like the game and aren't playing it anymore, then the reasonable thing is to forget about it and move on to something better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wootylicious View Post
    so ye basicly, did diablo 3 get old faster than diablo 2?

For me it did, beaten diablo on inferno on softcore by now and just cant get myself to log on and play it at all now. I can remember spendin countless and countless hours playin good old diablo 2 just grindin away happily and so on. Is it just me that has grown out of games like these and want more from a game nowadays than i did when i was a kid?

Its even funny how much hype i put into the game, waiting and waiting for it to launch and when it finaly was here i was like "OMFGCANTGETENUFFOFTHISSAUCE!!!!111". Shure it was happy fun times playing it trough with friends the first few difficulties but for some reason the game just didnt live up to the hype i had built up in my mind.
    Diablo series aren't really meant to play non-stop one of the reasons I feel it's not a pay to play.
    It's not old for me but I don't play every day.

WoW people don't get bored THAT easy because there's always more you can do everyday.

I am with OP here.. There really isn't much to the game.. I was a huge D2 fan, but for some reason D3 is just a huge meh to me.. I am trying to figure why that's the case as well.. Is it cuz I am simply getting too old for gaming? But I absolutely love Battlefield 3 and I have spent so many hours on the new expansion..

I think what it comes down to in the end is, the game actually discourages PUG because the risk of getting team-ed with a noob would literally destroy the entire experience. Also it's way too similar to D2.. That's not necessary a bad thing.. but that's not good enough in today's gaming market where it's saturated with grinding F2P games.. It's like SWTOR, it's actually a very good MMORPG and it could have beaten WoW if it was released in 2008, but not good enough as an MMO in 2012.

My only expectation for this game was that it would be another ridiculously addictive Blizzard title.

Failing on that front alone is absolutely disappointing.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15