10+ Year Old Account

Character Bio - Chonar Thunderbeard

Welp, I always had a bit of a soft spot for this sort of thing. While I've always played on a PvE server, I do enjoy storytelling and such. This would be my main character in WoW, edited to be a proper roleplaying character. I dont think it's too over-the-top, compared to the real character (One'd guess an RP character with all possible warrior Legendaries would be somewhat powergamey, eh eh wot...)

Name: Chonar Thunderbeard
    Race: Dwarf (Subcategory: Bronzebeard)
    Class: MountainKing (protection/fury warrior)
    Profession: Archaeologist, Entrepreneur, Philanthrope
    Faction: None (Ingame: The Explorer’s League, Ironforge, The Alliance)
    Tropes: The Old Soldier, Cultured Badass and Gentleman Adventurer.

Languages: Common, Dwarvish, Gnomish, Kalimag* and Titan* (*requires Tome of the Runic Tongue)

Personality: Grizzled War Veteran, pleasant wealthy old man, though gruff and jaded at times and downright spiteful towards the ignorant, foolhardy and disrespectful. Distrustful of horde races and sympathizers, but not hateful. Often aloof and single track-minded when in the pursuit of knowledge or riches.

Likes: Good ale, the heat of battle, history, archaelogy, Draenei women

Dislikes: Goblins, ignorance, scheming personalities, dishonorable codes of conduct during warfare.

Appearance: Elder dwarf Chonar Thunderbeard, Thane of the Thunderbeard Clan, is a retired war veteran and hero of the alliance. Now 5 years in retirement, the old Mountain King has taken to teaching the younger adventurers of Ironforge in the way of the warrior. Having become quite the entrepreneur and acquisitor of rare artifacts, this member of the Explorer’s League is often relentless in his pursuit of ancient artifacts, spurred on by a personal missive that has sent him across the frozen tundras of Northrend and the scarring sands of Uldum. The elder dwarf is balding on top, with a large twin-braided grey beard in front and a lengthy grey ponytail in the back. Blue eyes speak of a man that has "seen too much" during the war times, though he doesn't let this show too much.

He can come across as a gruff, jaded and crotchety man with little patience for ignorant folk, but those who befriend him soon come to see him as a friendly uncle-figure of sorts, who uses his wealth to fund endeavors of the scientific and archaeological sort. Once asked he will tell longwinded tales of the early days battling in Alterac Valley, and the most recent incarnation of the War of the Shifting Sands, or as he calls it; “When the Wall Opened”.

One of his most prized possessions is the Tome of the Runic Tongue, a thick tome which serves as a Rosetta Stone between three different runic languages; Dwarvish, Kalimag and Titan. The tome is actually a collection of earthen tales in which they’ve recited the same story in the three different languages; describing an event wherein Titan Watchers struck down numerous Elemental Princes during the Titanic reimagining of Azeroth. It was one of his earliest finds, before the Dark Iron invasion of Uldaman. Nowadays the tome is stuffed full with loose snippets of translations and comparisons between different words and sentences.

In Ironforge, he wears comfortable clothing of the finer sort, displaying an erudite and philanthropic nature. While out in the world, he either wears his old war attire, displaying the colors of the Knight-Champion of the alliance in blue and gold colors, or for more neutral endeavors his MountainKing attire, complete with horned helmet.

Weapons of choice are an enchanted War Axe and Warhammer, enfused with the power of earth and lightning. The Axe is called Skyfall, and crackles with lightning that may shock foes. The Hammer is called Earthsong, humming with a deep earthy tremor. Both weapons are crafted in a similar manner to the legendary Ironfoe, the blacksmith having mimicked Franclorn Forgewright's craftsmanship to the best of his abilities. The old man has a particular love interest in a female Draenei whom he had met a year after the Exodar's crash landing. A shaman in word and deed, she had offered to infuse the Thunderbeard Clan's thane weapons with elemental power. Ever since, both weapons have held their respective names.

Chonar has a damaged right eye, needing a monocle to see well with it. In battle he prefers to cover it with an eyepatch, lest he suffers headaches. Uncovered, one can see a vertical scar parting the brow, with a white cloudiness coating the eye’s iris. When he is calm, he walks with the measured steps of someone that's beginning to feel the sting of old age, but with too much pride to listen to it. When enraged by the heat of battle, he prefers to close distances quickly and think of the consequences to his aging body later.

Strengths: Wise and knowledgeable, a formidable warrior, strategist and tactician. A high resistance to frost and nature damage.

Weaknesses: Age is beginning to show its' fangs. While he is still as sturdy as a rock when he's on the defense, he will tire out quickly when he's on the offense. Backpains, less stamina and a lower resistance to poisons, disease, and shadow damage are a number of things he has to take into account. Also suffers from a crippling case of Cenosillicaphobia.

History:
    -179 : Birth
    -134 : Recruited into the Bronzebeard Army
    -55 : Rise to Thane of the Thunderbeard Clan after death of father, Thane Trachjef Thunderbeard.
    0 : Reprimanded for insubordination when trying to rally dwarves to take to the offense.
    6 : Lead multiple charges during numerous skirmishes across the lands. Spent several months hospitalized after being bested at the battle for Thandol Valley. Bronzebeard Army merged into the Alliance Forces during these days.
    18 : Request to accompany Muradin Bronzebeard on Northrend incursion denied. Cited reasons were "overeager interest towards nearby ruins may endanger mission priorities".
    20 : Risen to the rank of Knight-Champion within the Alliance Forces, the last battle in service of the army took Chonar to the southern regions of the Eastern kingdoms in the defense of the mortal races during the Burning Legion's invasion, up until the destruction of Archimonde. He remembers these days as a "sordid, messy affair, more akin to guerrilla warfare rather than honorable combat".
    23 : Retirement from the Alliance Army.
    24 : Assisted with Ironforge evacuation during a freak portal-related flood accident. Lost numerous artifacts due to water damage. Lost 80% of his right eye's functionality during a 72 hour battle in Alterac Valley.
    25 : Participated in the second War of the Shifting Sands, briefly returning to the army as an advisor. Assaulted the floating Necropolis of Naxxramas with a warband, hoping to acquire scourge artifacts before the official assault of the Argent Dawn.
    27 : Funded numerous archaeological endeavors in Northrend.
    28 : Funded archaeological endeavor in Uldum, withdrew finances once word got out the leader of the expedition had his loyalties not anywhere near his shareholders.

Dark rumors have centered around the old dwarf as ever since his warband had travelled to the floating Necropolis of Naxxramas in the Eastern Plaguelands, a ghostly visage bearing many similarities to Chonar had been spotted during starless nights. This “Time-Lost Chonar” is seen wielding a corrupted version of the legendary Ashbringer, and seems to be seeking for his counterpart. At first, Chonar scoffed at this and accused the people of rumor mongering and baseless superstitions. However, it has invoked a fair bit of curiosity within him, and as such, he has become the prime researcher regarding the "Time-Lost" principle; Beings and Creatures that, according to him, are misplaced in time; those that seep into our reality from an offshoot branch of a timeline wherein things went differently. The Arrakoa of Outland have been of particular interest to him in this topic, though he has found the avianic people to be largely uncooperative in his research.

Abilities:
    Storm Bolt, Thunder Clap, Sunder Armor, Heroic Leap, Execute, Terravatar

Mountain King (Thane)

Retired Alliance Knight-Champion

Civilian, Archaeologist, Philanthrope

Armory:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../chonar/simple
    Last edited by Chonar; 2012-08-24 at 02:11 PM.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Excellent read, and a very interesting character, only minor Problem I would see, is listing Kalimag and Titan as spoken language, but by the description of the tome i suppose it only gives the ability to slowly and roughly translate Titan and Kalimag, which is okay then. Looking forward to RPing with you.

On a side note, I love the classic WoW references.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye, that's what I was going for. Thanks for the kind words!

Yeah, can't really say anything wrong about this bio other than that I would like to see his history fully fleshed out, not merely as a list... but he seems to be very well thought out. Welcome to the RP forums and MMO Champion in of itself!

10+ Year Old Account
    Update: Added pictures!

10+ Year Old Account
    Edit: Added some relevant TVTropes to ruin.. I mean.. fill your day with.

Deleted
    Love the bio never encountered a Dwarf´s bio so detailed on my realm. Good job

Deleted
    You're the legendary dwarf of shadowsong EU. You used to stand in Ironforge with Nantus and others. Years ago, during wrath you took a friend of yours (Espion) and me to the Scarlet Monastary. You had the corrupted ashbringer and you showed us the scene. I never got to thank you, you logged off.

The bio is amazing. I'm a huge roleplayer myself and I always imagined you as one of the greatest warriors in the alliance.
    Last edited by mmoc49c884270f; 2012-07-31 at 09:58 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darrellmonks View Post
    You're the legendary dwarf of shadowsong EU. You used to stand in Ironforge with Nantus and others. Years ago, during wrath you took a friend of yours (Espion) and me to the Scarlet Monastary. You had the corrupted ashbringer and you showed us the scene. I never got to thank you, you logged off.

The bio is amazing. I'm a huge roleplayer myself and I always imagined you as one of the greatest warriors in the alliance.
    Aw shucks man. Glad to have made an impression, and thanks for the kind words.
    Good to know some part of my old reputation still survives, in this day and age of cross-realm anonymity.

/salute!
    Last edited by Chonar; 2012-08-01 at 08:44 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    Aw shucks man. Glad to have made an impression, and thanks for the kind words.
    Good to know some part of my old reputation still survives, in this day and age of cross-realm anonymity.

/salute!
    I always thought you were just a raider. Do you actually RP much ingame? Or just leave it to MMO champ? Because I remember when you showed me the corrupted ashbringer scene, you made me walk

Check mine, http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Aegus-Shawson , needs work I know, but it was fun!
    Last edited by mmoc49c884270f; 2012-08-01 at 04:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darrellmonks View Post
    I always thought you were just a raider. Do you actually RP much ingame? Or just leave it to MMO champ? Because I remember when you showed me the corrupted ashbringer scene, you made me walk
    You got to savor the moment, I tell you!
    I sometimes slip in-character in-game purely for the sake of comedy, but no real roleplay. I get my fix on the forums, for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Update: Added a crippling weakness in his biography. Chonar suffers from a bad case of Cenosillicaphobia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well then I shouldn't show him THIS!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonfictionless View Post
    Well then I shouldn't show him THIS!

http://www.elenaphoto.com/empty_beer_mug_sjpg12065.jpg
    AIEEEEE

Fill it! FILL IT BEFORE ITS EMPTINESS SPREADS!
    Last edited by Chonar; 2012-08-23 at 02:10 PM.