Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    yes. nothing is truly original. in terms of fantasy or science fiction anyway.
    That sucks cuz of both of the books I wrote/third I'm writing. I think their concepts are original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    That sucks cuz of both of the books I wrote/third I'm writing. I think their concepts are original.
    what are they about
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Deleted
    Most games get references from other games, books or movies. Bizzard have done a bit rode a obvious reference with old gods, but it's to be expected.

sorry about all these misspells, typing on my phone, it's pita to edit and correct.

They aren't. But the same is true for any other author.

It's also not really something to be worried about. A truly original piece would probably end up flopping as nobody can relate to it.

not saying a twist or different look on popular or obscure themes in fantasy or scifi are not unique. but to say that they have not in some fashion been done before hit or miss is very hard if not impossible to say. not to knock your writing skills, any attempt to be different or unique should not be squandered.

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    They aren't. But the same is true for any other author.

It's also not really something to be worried about. A truly original piece would probably end up flopping as nobody can relate to it.
    Hmm, I guess.

And sorry, although this is a community, I'd never share my ideas here because anyone can steal them, whether or not they be original according to this thread :P

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 02:28 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    not saying a twist or different look on popular or obscure themes in fantasy or scifi are not unique. but to say that they have not in some fashion been done before hit or miss is very hard if not impossible to say. not to knock your writing skills, any attempt to be different or unique should not be squandered.
    Ah, no, course not.

It's just depressing there's no originality left I guess.

Whatevs, doesn't deter me from writing or trying. I'll always keep uniqueness as part of my motivator.

Whatevs, doesn't deter me from writing or trying. I'll always keep uniqueness as part of my motivator.
    /cheering on the side lines

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    where is darkside when you need him?[COLOR="red"]
    Does Darkside even come to this forum anylonger? I have not seen a post from him/her in well over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Pachycrocuta View Post
    Does Darkside even come to this forum anylonger? I have not seen a post from him/her in well over a year.
    He came back for like..a day a month or two ago.

I miss him and his crazy theories

So is nothing original anymore or something.
    I think I envy you.

But seriously, there's a grand difference between trying to come up with something original, and it happens to be similar to something else, and just blatantly taking something else, slapping a new coat of paint on it, and calling it yours.

Blizzard is quite notorious for the latter, and it's been discussed since the early days of Warcraft. As is relevant to the subject, this conversation is not remotely new. Blizzard does, however, have a talent for taking these things and making them quite enjoyable, and that might be why people largely don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by ManjiSanji View Post
    I think I envy you.
    Outta curiosity, why do you envy me? 0_o

Quote Originally Posted by effects21 View Post
    made a account for this!

This is what I found on WoWpedia: The Mantid worshipped a old god called Y'Shaarj and it had 7 heads, the Titans killed it, and in the puzzle box of Yogg-Saron, he talks about the black goat with 7 eyes.

I cant post links but just go to WoWpedia and search Y'Shaarj

I too think that is one of Y'Shaarj heads
    To expand on that I'll post the story that is told to you about Y'Shaarj by the Klaxxi.

Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: Wakener, your deeds have earned you the trust of the Klaxxi.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: You are to be rewarded. Walk with me.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: We mantid are an elder race. The pandaren you associate with - they are but children. They have their role to play.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: Each cycle, our young swarm their walls. The pandaren slay the weak. The strong return.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: With each generation, we grow ever stronger.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: Before your history began, our empire was vast. We shared this world with our sister kingdoms, Ahn'Qiraj and Azjol-Nerub.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: Our Gods were many, and powerful. We mantid worshipped the seven heads of Y'shaarj.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: Great was the Old One, and terrible was His wrath. He consumed hope and begat despair; He inhaled courage and breathed fear.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: When the usurpers came - the ones you call "Titans" - Y'shaarj was destroyed.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: His last terrible breath has haunted this land ever since, but the shadows he left behind are mere whispers of his former glory.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: I tell you now, because you have earned this warning.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: Your gods are not your gods, outsider.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: If the Old Ones ever return, we mantid will once again stand by their side.
    Kil'ruk the Wind-Reaver says: The wisest among you will do the same.
    Imo, the mural is a depiction of Y'shaarj. Hopefully we'll get some more info about this old god as he seems to have quite a connection to the Sha(in theory).
    Last edited by tielknight; 2012-11-13 at 03:24 AM.
    If you must insist on using a non-sanctioned sitting apparatus, please consider the tensile strength
    of the materials present in the object in question in comparison to your own mass volumetric density.

In other words, stop breaking shit with your fat ass.

Outta curiosity, why do you envy me? 0_o
    The fact that you felt that all those things were original. I wish I did. Familiarity and old things are boring.

As an aspiring writer, I'm sure you can identify with the desire to find something new. Personally, I stopped writing because I felt nothing I was coming up with was genuinely new.

Quote Originally Posted by ManjiSanji View Post
    The fact that you felt that all those things were original. I wish I did. Familiarity and old things are boring.

As an aspiring writer, I'm sure you can identify with the desire to find something new. Personally, I stopped writing because I felt nothing I was coming up with was genuinely new.
    I still do to an extent.

I mean, the game itself is original, so, it doesn't bother me.

I love the story in the Warcraft Universe.

Hence why I want to be a writer for the storyboards, questlines, and even expansions for Blizzard.

It's a Universe I genuinely love and a company I want to work for.

I keep writing to strive to be unique, and also just because I find it fun, plus I'm apparently good at it.

...Also it's my major so, yeah.