Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I believe this is the quote from the linked article you are referring to... and it says nothing about the Nerubians worshipping an Old God.
    The word "our" is extremely vague. It could mean that he is talking about all three of the kingdoms but as the rest of his speech is purely about Mantid and because the Nerubians have literally never been shown in any kind of friendship with the Old Gods it seems more likely to me that "Our" simply refers to Mantid, not all three kingdoms.
    This likely refers to the time when the mantid, nerubians, and qiraji were all one race - the aqir. Unless the mantid existed at the same time as the aqir hundreds of thousands of years ago, that's the only way they could have been around to worship any living Old Gods.

At the end of the Klaxxi questline, the mantid mentioned that at one point in time, they worshipped Y'shaarj, an old god. However, he was slain by the Titans and was split into "shadows of his former self". Is he, in some way, in relations with the Sha and will we see Y'shaarj in future content patches?
    Y'shaarj breathed love and exhaled hate, inhaled peace and breathed violence... Plus, his name was y'SHAarj. It's pretty safe to connect the dots. :smileyhappy: But Y'shaarj itself is very, very, very dead.

That's a blizzard post on the matter. Was on the front page a while back.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    This likely refers to the time when the mantid, nerubians, and qiraji were all one race - the aqir. Unless the mantid existed at the same time as the aqir hundreds of thousands of years ago, that's the only way they could have been around to worship any living Old Gods.
    Probably not, They are likely evolved from it as a previous poster has stated the amber thingies or w/e have a huge connection to them in most cases.

10+ Year Old Account
    The mural is probably Y'shaarrj - given the Klaxxi once worshipped him, and the Heart of Fear is the pinnacle of the old Klaxxi empire's command.

It's been stated many times that Y'shaarj itself is very 'dead' - probably as dead as an old god gets. As we all know, 'death' is not usually a major obstacle. Y'shaarj, for example, expelled the Sha onto pandaria when he was destroyed. Thus, his essence remained. That essence then proceeded to transform the dread wastes from something akin to townlong steppes, into the nightmare land it is in MoP. Say what you want, but it would seen Y'shaarj's essence has lost little of its potency: the war between the alliance and the horde will probably feed the Sha enough to allow him to manifest again.

Either way, the mural is very cool. There have been a lot of Old God tingles this expansion: I hope they go somewhere with it, as it has the potential to be a great storyline.

Now if only they had continued the Vash'jir storyline...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Medanielle View Post
    It's been stated many times that Y'shaarj itself is very 'dead' - probably as dead as an old god gets. As we all know, 'death' is not usually a major obstacle. Y'shaarj, for example, expelled the Sha onto pandaria when he was destroyed. Thus, his essence remained. That essence then proceeded to transform the dread wastes from something akin to townlong steppes, into the nightmare land it is in MoP. Say what you want, but it would seen Y'shaarj's essence has lost little of its potency: the war between the alliance and the horde will probably feed the Sha enough to allow him to manifest again.
    One of the biggest questions I have about Y'Shaarj is how dead he is in comparison to C'Thun and Yogg-Saron. Are they 'very, very dead' or just sort've dead, like C'Thun was after the war with the Titans? C'Thun is currently a rotting corpse in Ahn'Qiraj radiating some kind of intangible malevolence - is that what happened to Y'Shaarj, or is C'Thun less dead and has a chance to revive? Is Yogg-Saron in the same boat?

And if they're both as dead as Y'Shaarj, what's been released by their demise?

One of the biggest questions I have about Y'Shaarj is how dead he is in comparison to C'Thun and Yogg-Saron. Are they 'very, very dead' or just sort've dead, like C'Thun was after the war with the Titans? C'Thun is currently a rotting corpse in Ahn'Qiraj radiating some kind of intangible malevolence - is that what happened to Y'Shaarj, or is C'Thun less dead and has a chance to revive? Is Yogg-Saron in the same boat?

The feel I have is pretty much of the dead gods in astral plane of D&D. They are DEAD, as in they can't return and take back their thrones, or have a faith that develops in the way the faith of living does. They don't return anything from prayers.

But their corpses irradiate "dreams" of their former selves and proxies of their former aspects can manifest over their dead bodies. But they can't act or create avatars.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does remind me a lot of Yor'Sahj and that's definitely tentacles and not claws like mantid

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorua View Post
    The mantid are likely one of the aqir races.
    They are, once you get to exalted with the Klaxxi, do the epic ring quest...

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 04:07 PM ----------

Spoiler:

The bug giving you a tour underground informs you that the Klaxxi, Ajol Nerub and Ahn Qiraj are all sister kingdoms and that once the Old Gods rise, they will stand with them again (and advise you to do the same).

Deleted
    I think I read somewhere that the sha are the remains of an old god who was "killed", but since old gods can't be killed, it broke into pieces, each piece being a sha.

They've been pretty specific that he... she... whatever, is quite certainly dead dead and not going to come back. Unlike C'Thun, which already came back and granted Cho'gall extra power and Yogg-Saron, which we pretty much just beat back into his prison.
    We just don't have the kind of power needed to end them. The Titans did.

They're hard to get rid of, not impossible. It's also been stated again and again that the Titans where quite capable of eliminating all 5 on Azeroth, they simply didn't want to, though it's not quite clear why they decided against "re-origination".

10+ Year Old Account
    Did anyone point out the quests line for getting exalted with the Klaxxi yet?
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    They've been pretty specific that he... she... whatever, is quite certainly dead dead and not going to come back. Unlike C'Thun, which already came back and granted Cho'gall extra power and Yogg-Saron, which we pretty much just beat back into his prison.
    We just don't have the kind of power needed to end them. The Titans did.

They're hard to get rid of, not impossible. It's also been stated again and again that the Titans where quite capable of eliminating all 5 on Azeroth, they simply didn't want to, though it's not quite clear why they decided against "re-origination".
    The old gods are a galactic cancer. It can't be killed without killing the host, namely whatever planets they establish themselves upon. The only way to kill them is re-origination, which effectively means erasing all life on a planet, something the titans always hesitate to do after they worked so hard to shape the planet and brought life to it.

Hence why they prefer to contain the old god infestations rather that destroy their own creations. Also, there is no guarantee another old god entity wouldn't come to infest their re-originated planet.

Obviously, containment has its flaws and is not always working, at which point, the old gods need to be beaten back into submission.

Quote Originally Posted by leaks View Post
    Did anyone point out the quests line for getting exalted with the Klaxxi yet?
    Did you bother reading the topic?
    Did you bother reading this page?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Constellation View Post
    To say, with certainty that the sha are "exactly this" requires proof of such a claim and there isnt any just yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    There's NOTHING to say what the nature of that connection is though.
    But there IS proof, right there in the game. A Klaxxi NPC tells you this himself, when you reach exalted with the faction. And it's been known since beta...
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cthulhu is a fictional cosmic entity who first appeared in the short story "The Call of Cthulhu", published in the pulp magazine Weird Tales in 1928. The character was created by writer H. P. Lovecraft.

I love how these Wow lore/writers have no imagination to create anything "New". How this escapes Plagiarism and lawyers is amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by Evilregister View Post
    Cthulhu is a fictional cosmic entity who first appeared in the short story "The Call of Cthulhu", published in the pulp magazine Weird Tales in 1928. The character was created by writer H. P. Lovecraft.

I love how these Wow lore/writers have no imagination to create anything "New". How this escapes Plagiarism and lawyers is amazing...
    To be fair H.P. Lovecraft's universe has been used and inspired countless other games/books/movies

http://www.ign.com/games/eternal-dar...uiem/gcn-15887

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alone_i...k_(video_game)

But i agree that Blizzard has shoddy writers with 0 inspiration who just flat out steal everything.

How this escapes Plagiarism and lawyers is amazing...
    Almost all of Lovecraft's work is public domain now. And there's very little in common with any specific Lovecraftian story other than the names are vaguely similar and the overall themes are the same.

Deleted
    Oh another old god storyline, well this hasn't been done before.

Allow me to introduce you to nearly anything Blizzard has created, ever.

I've asked myself the same question you are numerous times. I love Blizzard, but virtually nothing they do is original.

You could strike Blizzard from that first sentence and it would still be true. Hardly anything is really original, especially in Literature.