Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Y%27Shaarj
    sha are manifestation of the 7 heads of y'shaarj, i'm assuming the mantid worship this guy as their god
    he's most likely the forgotten casters we saw in cataclysm

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    You could strike Blizzard from that first sentence and it would still be true. Hardly anything is really original, especially in Literature.
    This. Everything from tv shows to movies to comics to religion borrow from the past which borrowed from the past before it and so on and so on.

Take Lord of the Rings for example. When the movies came out and the try hard groupies came around, some people would claim that Elves and Dwarves were invented by JRR Tolkein while they actually originate from Old English and Norse fables.

Deleted
    It amazes me that people are still surprised that the Old God arch in WoW was inspired by Lovecraft. Welcome to ... what? 15 years ago?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilregister View Post
    Cthulhu is a fictional cosmic entity who first appeared in the short story "The Call of Cthulhu", published in the pulp magazine Weird Tales in 1928. The character was created by writer H. P. Lovecraft.

I love how these Wow lore/writers have no imagination to create anything "New". How this escapes Plagiarism and lawyers is amazing...
    so you created an account to give us this sensational breaking news?

Quote Originally Posted by ManjiSanji View Post
    Allow me to introduce you to nearly anything Blizzard has created, ever.

I've asked myself the same question you are numerous times. I love Blizzard, but virtually nothing they do is original.
    So the Lich King isn't original?

Or the Titans?

Or Sargeras for that matter?

Or Medivh?

Or Thrall?

Or Malfurion?

Or Garrosh?

Or Grom?

Or the Burning Legion?

Or Naga?

Or Azshara?

Or Pandaren?

Or Pandaria?

Or Mogu?

Or Mantid?

...Get the picture?
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    So the Lich King isn't original? Warhammer has a similar character, a one mortal prince who became the master of the undead, Nahash

Or the Titans? Warhammer did it -> Ancient Ones, beings of immens technological and magical prowess who advanced the species of the Warhammer world

Or Sargeras for that matter? 1 fallen former celestial being with an infernal host, I'd say Luzifer from the bible sets a pretty neat example. Also some similarities with Sauron from LotR. Former powerfull good guy, later bad guy.

Or Medivh? Powerfull posessed wizards can be found in almost any large fantasy setting.

Or Thrall? The good guy in a somehow evil race sent to deliver them.

Or Malfurion? The first among many druids, good to heart, almost naive. The druid class is present in Dungeons and Dragons for a long time.

Or Garrosh? He had a tough childhood and uses his newfound power to right the wrongs that have been cast upon him. Also somewhat racist. History and Fantasy is full of figures like that.

Or Grom? There is a Warhammer character who's named Grom, though he's an immensly fat Goblin. Grom is seduced by evil, but turns good at the very end to destroy said evil. Sounds like Darth Vader.

Or the Burning Legion? Warhammer, Realms and Demons of Chaos. Burning Legion looks tame in comparison.

Or Naga? Naga are present in Fantasy for several decades now. Blizzard gave them a unique design with a funny background.

Or Azshara? Yeah, demigod who fell to evil to save him or herself, never heard of.

Or Pandaren? True, pretty unique. Funny that people butch about them the most.

Or Pandaria? Chinese influenced fantasy setting, nothing new.

Or Mogu? Chinsese Legends. also Thundercats.

Or Mantid? Insect humanoids with a hive mind are also spread through several fictional universes

...Get the picture?
    I don't know if you intended to be sarcastic, but it's easy to find characters or traits who predated WarCraft. Everyone copies from everybody these days. There hardly is anything really new in Fantasy for the last 30 years.

10+ Year Old Account
    Storytelling as a whole is just polishing and repolishing the same tale and reselling it for higher value. While this sounds meh, it's not at all necessarily a bad thing. You can take it one step further, I think I said this before:

The fantasy genre is just rehashed folklore.

Folklore is just superstition in story form to explain the once-upon-a-time inexplicable.

And the inexplicable is the result of tribal shamans of early human civilizations eating hallucinogenic berries, then telling their tribe about their mad trip.

Respect the berries.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I don't know if you intended to be sarcastic, but it's easy to find characters or traits who predated WarCraft. Everyone copies from everybody these days. There hardly is anything really new in Fantasy for the last 30 years.
    Its easy to find characters or traits who predated gaming as a whole. Fixed that for ya.

On a more serious note, everyone steals from everyone else. Its a circle. Blizzard or any other game maker. There are no exceptions.

So the Lich King isn't original?

Or the Titans?

Or Sargeras for that matter?

Or Medivh?

Or Thrall?

Or Malfurion?

Or Garrosh?

Or Grom?

Or the Burning Legion?

Or Naga?

Or Azshara?

Or Pandaren?

Or Pandaria?

Or Mogu?

Or Mantid?

...Get the picture?
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Every single one of those are full of fantasy/science fiction cliches that are heavily influenced from past works.

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Every single one of those are full of fantasy/science fiction cliches that are heavily influenced from past works.
    Which, in turn, where also heavily influenced by past works. That isn't new, either.

Y'Shaarj is dead. Stop speculation about him. He's sha. (His remains is Sha, that's why we must/can't kill old gods)

for those wondering why the klaxxi would fight the sha IF they come from Y'Shaarj, here's why

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

well they are giant bug people. and in WoW lore that more often than not means their origins have something to do with the old gods. the pandarean do not know where they came from and even state that they were there before the Mogu. to me this means a couple things:

1. the Mogu are a product of the titans. see MSV, lore etc.
    2. the mantid are the cousins of the nerubians and Anqiraji.

Deleted
    where is darkside when you need him?

---------- Post added 2012-11-13 at 01:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn 470 View Post
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Y%27Shaarjsha are manifestation of the 7 heads of y'shaarj, i'm assuming the mantid worship this guy as their godhe's most likely the forgotten casters we saw in cataclysm
    it was my understanding that old gods could never actually be killed. just lie dormant.also, what does this line mean "I tell you now, because you have earned this warning. Your gods are not your gods, outsider." who are our gods? refer to Elune? titans or the old gods?

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    it was my understanding that old gods could never actually be killed. just lie dormant.also, what does this line mean "I tell you now, because you have earned this warning. Your gods are not your gods, outsider." who are our gods? refer to Elune? titans or the old gods?
    well shit. that link pretty much affirmed all of what i had expected. but as to the reference to the "your gods" statement id have to say he means either the light or in fact the titans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky High Shark View Post
    well shit. that link pretty much affirmed all of what i had expected. but as to the reference to the "your gods" statement id have to say he means either the light or in fact the titans.

id love it to mean Elune, really want some more lore on her

but about the old god being killed, originally it was said that killing an old god would destroy the planet due to them being too deeply rooted or something along the lines of that. has that changed? if not then that god cannot be fully dead, just lying dormant.

also, why doesnt darkside post here anymore? i loved his old god posts!

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    id love it to mean Elune, really want some more lore on her

but about the old god being killed, originally it was said that killing an old god would destroy the planet due to them being too deeply rooted or something along the lines of that. has that changed? if not then that god cannot be fully dead, just lying dormant.

also, why doesnt darkside post here anymore? i loved his old god posts!
    i could be wrong, as far as we know there are a plethora of gods and demi gods on Azeroth, aside from a few, weather they have any origin to the old gods is up to debate.

on the old gods and the nature of Azeroth its never been to my knowledge explained how or why that is. its just they simply are. might be that since even the titans cant seem to kill them that they deemed it impossible to kill them without destroying Azeroth. or in fact it's something about Azeroth itself that keeps them from truly dying.

as for darkside /shrugs

Quote Originally Posted by nnelson54 View Post
    So is nothing original anymore or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

So is nothing original anymore or something.
    yes. nothing is truly original. in terms of fantasy or science fiction anyway.