Crit Chance versus Damage

What's a good balance between the two? Is there any "general" rule out there?

I'm currently at 15% chance and 108% damage. What should I be aiming for? Like 20%, then stack damage? or get damage to 150, then go back to chance?

Any thoughts?

Deleted
    For starters it would be quite interesting to know which class you're actually playing and which build you're pursuing... but I'm taking a wild guess here: You're a DH?

Quote Originally Posted by Tintenkiller View Post
    For starters it would be quite interesting to know which class you're actually playing and which build you're pursuing... but I'm taking a wild guess here: You're a DH?
    I'm gonna guess Witch Doctor, given his avatar.

Deleted
    get items with both?

10+ Year Old Account
    At least for DH you want to gain both at about equal rates, gaining a bunch of crit chance without improving your damage any results in diminishing returns.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5578588038
    [/URL]
    The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron.

Haha, my bad... I'm a WD, post-nerf sitting atound 60K DPS and 2.0 APS with 40K hp. I typically run splinters build and looking to change it up a bit

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Code:
    600	5%	100%	  630
    600	6%	100%	  636
    600	7%	100%	  642
    600	5%	110%	  633
    600	5%	120%	  636
    600	5%	130%	  639
    600	5%	140%	  642
    Damage * (1-Crit%) + Damage * Crit% * (1+Crit Damage)

So 600 damage with 5% crit chance with 100 crit damage bonus is 630 average damage.
    600 damage with 6% crit chance with 100 crit damage bonus is 636 average damage.
    600 damage with 5% crit chance with 120 crit damage bonus is 636 average damage.

You'll have to do the calculations because it all changes depending on how much of each you have. Like if you have 600 damage and 10% crit with 150% crit damage, gaining 2% crit chance increases it from 690 up to 708, but adding 40% crit damage takes it from 690 up to 714.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Get pieces with both if possible. It is going to cost a lot to find good rings with 25% CD and 3-4 CC but it is worth it.

Your neck should be at least 60 crit damage with 150+int.

Gloves you can easily find 150 int, 6+CC, and 18+CD.

Wrists you can easily find 140 int, 3-5 CC.

Helm, easily find 150 intel 4+ CC.

Quote Originally Posted by Phonic View Post
    Haha, my bad... I'm a WD, post-nerf sitting atound 60K DPS and 2.0 APS with 40K hp. I typically run splinters build and looking to change it up a bit
    How viable is that now? The Atk. speed reduc. on items didn't hurt you too much?

An easy way to think of it is look at your current stats for crit chance and crit damage and then look at what % of a stat a new piece of gear will add.

For example, let's say you're at 10% crit and 110% damage. You're considering a piece of gear with 4% crit. That's 40% of your current crit chance. The amount of crit damage that would equal that would be something that adds 40% of your current crit damage or 44. As you get more of one stat, the other one starts giving you more bang for the buck.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemesiz View Post
    How viable is that now? The Atk. speed reduc. on items didn't hurt you too much?
    It definitely hurt. I was sitting at 72K and 2.84 before the nerf. I was dropped to 52K, but got some pieces to get back to 60. Spliters is still a good build, but just trying to balance all my IAS nerfed pieces and whether or not I should replace those. It's a tough thing since I have Int stacked on all my gear. Gonna be hard to replace my gloves with 192 int and 7%IAS. Crit might give me more at the end, but i mean, is it worth tens of millions for a piece that will get me like 3K dps? Hard to say.

Crit damage and crit chance goes hand in hand. The more crit chance you get, the more crit damage you want to get. As for specific numbers, or a set ratio, I would go for "as much as possible", and "Much:Even More".

Quote Originally Posted by Phonic View Post
    Crit might give me more at the end, but i mean, is it worth tens of millions for a piece that will get me like 3K dps?
    If I was selling the item, it would most definitely be worth the investment.