Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Archangel Removed from Talent Tree

Do i read the content update correctly ? It seems blizz finally bit the bullet and pushed archangel as disc only (it was useless for holy) and replaced it with

Power Word: Solace : Strike an enemy with the power of the heavens, dealing (2,098 + 40.0% of SP) Holy damage and restoring 2% maximum mana. 40 yd range. 1.5 sec cast. Requires Level 45.
    Which fit in line with the other lvl 45 talent (for healing) as a mana recovery tool.

While i like the fact that holy has a talent they can use, i m a bit on the fence about the spell in itself. I don't know about the value of mana given back but this feel really like a priest version of TC.

This change also means that disc got archangel free of charge now. guess we'll see how that goes (Overall number will be balanced most likely anyway)

So what do you guys think of it ?

(P.S. isn't it super bad for SP though ? i m scratching my head on why blizz would make a talent better for one spec and completely wreck it for another. Was archangel bad for SP before ? i didn't really pay attention with all the change to SP.)

P.P.S Name for spell is kickass though

edit : because im an idiot.
    Last edited by mmoce098a05eeb; 2012-06-20 at 08:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Disc really needed a few new abilities. My cast bar looked so empty, and I felt that I didn't always have enough to do when dpsing. Mindbender was too much of a no-brainer, so I took that ability, but it's a less interesting choice. I'm really excited by the new additions.

My only concern is that I have always gone with the no AA spec, but now I may be required to in order to heal most efficiently. Hopefully non AA would still be balanced, because it is the style of healing that I am used to at this point. Either that, or I'll adore the change and never look back

As a Holypriest, I'm really happy. That talent was just wasting space in the talent tree.

As a Discpriest, I'm really happy. The talent now seems baseline disc, meaning disc has something more going for it than Inner Focus and Atonement.

As a shadowpriest, I'm indifferent, but at least there is a glyph if I want to run around with dark wings and look ominous.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

I am curious as to the comparison of mana that this will offer versus the new mindbender.

So am I, Romiicyy.

Shadowfiend:
    - Hits 8-9 times over the 12 sec duration, returning 3% mana per hit, 180 sec cooldown (Thanks Cedrich!)
    - Conservative estimate of 8% per 60 seconds

New Mindbender:
    - Hits 10-11 times over the 15 sec duration, returning 1% mana per hit, 60 sec cooldown (Assuming hitrate didn't change!)
    - Conservative estimate of 10% per 60 seconds
    - As far as mana goes, the talent offers the difference between Shadowfiend and Mindbender: 2% mana per minute
    - Very low gains to be honest. For comparison, your baseline regen is 2% every 5 sec.

Solace:
    - You regain 2% mana per cast, 1.5s cast time.
    - So you need to cast it once every minute to meet the gains from mindbender.
    - Seems to be the clear winner vs Mindbender, but at the cost of GCDs of course.

Surge of Light:
    - Each proc is worth the cost of a Flash Heal, aka 6.6% of your mana.
    - I think we can assume at least one proc per minute, making this the clear overall winner... if you can use that Surge somewhere useful.
    Non-discipline 2006-2019, not supporting the company any longer. Also: fails.
    MMO Champion Mafia Games - The outlet for Chronic Backstabbing Disorder. [ Join the Fun | Countdown | Rolecard Builder MkII ]

such a shame. I wanted to be a holy archangel.

I wish blizzard were to realize not everything is gameplay. excluding a holy priest from turning into an archangel feels anticlimatic.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Surge of Light:
    - Each proc is worth the cost of a Flash Heal, aka 6.6% of your mana.
    - I think we can assume at least one proc per minute, making this the clear overall winner... if you can use that Surge somewhere useful.
    Assuming you're casting Heal often enough to proc FDCL.... raid healing priests in 25 mans... perhaps not. The question then turns in, is that Free FH worth more than 6.6% b/c of the Serendipity discount it provides?

On the other hand... RNG is RNG... while Telluric Cu--- err PW:Solace is a flat 2% on cast.

Solace appears to morph into a spell called Insanity for Shadow Priests
    It deals damage and 100% more damage per DoT effect on the target, but removes the DoT effects

Unless that spell is totally unrelated

EDIT:

Yes it is, there is a Shadow version that is identical but does Shadow damage :V
    Last edited by Imnick; 2012-06-20 at 09:55 PM.

Deleted
    Curious thing is, the tooltip for archangel still shows a 'shadow' version for 'dark archangel', so perhaps SP will have it as a baseline 'no talent DPS CD', something we were asking for since some time now (we are the only DPS class without a baseline DPS CD just now).

Personally, i had it in my SP build as a 'must be'.

Deleted
    Please tell me Shadow at least still uses it. Argandios, I sincerely hope you're right. (*Angels, especially wings, are a visual tick of mine, mental obsession, and hearing that Archangel is removed will make me literally want to stop levelling my priest.*)

If this is just a healing talent replacement.... I like it. Smite spamming was a bit unwieldy when one had healing to focus on (especially with Holy), even in the "off" moments one needed to be careful about keeping Evangelism up.

EDIT: Also, the glyph of Smallfiend change (take on appearance of a Dark Archangel for 8 seconds after casting Devouring Plague) sounds like DA has been removed for Shadow. D:
    Last edited by mmoc95c4570f6c; 2012-06-20 at 11:48 PM.

Archangel is now a Discipline skill.

Mind Spike now costs 1% of base mana, down from 3%. No longer increases the critical strike chance of your next Mind Blast on the target by 30%.

Srsly, what's next? Mind Blast deals no dmg and heals the opponent instead?

Has anyone actually given it a thought about how these 2 abilities define shadow for what it is now in PvP?!

First the Vamp. Touch dispel protection nerf (might as well fully remove it, even those healers in the 17 hundreds know they can just mash dispel all over it), then the 12% nerf to all DoTs, which has left SP to rely on heavy AA burst 99% of the time in PvP, and now this?!

Seriously, what the hell?!?!
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Mindbender also does damage over that 15 second duration, all the while you are free to do anything else, be it healing or dpsing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Solace appears to morph into a spell called Insanity for Shadow Priests
    It deals damage and 100% more damage per DoT effect on the target, but removes the DoT effects

Unless that spell is totally unrelated

EDIT:

Yes it is, there is a Shadow version that is identical but does Shadow damage :V

Not unrelated at all, actually. You were right there.

I just have no idea why this spell doesn't replace Mind Spike when you get it and bake Mind Spike's glyph on it... also, after the removal of the crit increase FLCL looks a bit bad, doesn't it...?

Because it costs 15 times as much mana as mind spike perhaps? No, i'm not kidding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Infighter View Post
    Not unrelated at all, actually. You were right there.

I just have no idea why this spell doesn't replace Mind Spike when you get it and bake Mind Spike's glyph on it... also, after the removal of the crit increase FLCL looks a bit bad, doesn't it...?
    I would say that this talent pretty much becomes mandatory for shadow, unless mindbender hits like a fucking truck. FDCL is a very distant third.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post

As a shadowpriest, I'm indifferent, but at least there is a glyph if I want to run around with dark wings and look ominous.
    Which glyph do you mean?

I would say that this talent pretty much becomes mandatory for shadow, unless mindbender hits like a fucking truck. FDCL is a very distant third.
    I don't know about that. Since Insanity removes your DOTs, it may not end up being used rotationally.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Felade View Post
    I don't know about that. Since Insanity removes your DOTs, it may not end up being used rotationally.
    We have 3 dots, VT hits for nothing, DP has low uptime, and SW: P has direct damage. Time this at the end of DP duration, followed by recasting SW:P and you'll lose minimal dot damage in exchange for what should be some fairly huge burst.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malic View Post
    Which glyph do you mean?
    http://www.wowdb.com/spells/58228-gl...el#15762-15781

It seems that SW:I is no longer baseline, it seems that is going to be the best option anyway.

Mind spike not buffing MB crit chance makes me think of two possibilities: a) MS is going to be removed b) MS isn't going to extinguish DOTs anymore. Maybe they will change completely the spell, we'll se how the situation developes.
    Last edited by mmoc3d05ee6dd7; 2012-06-21 at 12:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I only play disc, technically I do have a shadow spec but I never use it. I for one am thrilled with the change although i do hope they haven't screwed over shadow priests...