Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Top - Start with a ward?

I just thought that I'd skip a few pots and start with a ward this last game so I went boots + 1 pot + 1 ward. Worked really well, I managed to keep myself safe the entire game. I don't see people doing this often though, is there any reason?

Deleted
    I only do it when its a really aggresive ganker, like Alistar/Lee/naut/Mao etc. they mostly gank at lvl 2 which is because they know most people are unwarded, so if i face them i usually bring a ward myself.

Because people are silly.

I had this idea too, but I haven't been able to be top lately.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends a lot on the enemy jungler. Some really don't gank early, at which point your first ward will have expired. Others will go for a level 2 gank, in which case you have to judge if that'll be in top, mid or even in bottom.

Deleted
    It isnt really needed if its a jungler that needs lvl 4 to be effective ganker, just rush lvl 4 or 6 and then push the lane and go b and get a ward.

Most of the top champs I play have more than decent escapes and in early levels a Ghost or Flash alone + boots / 3xhp are enough to survive ganks without warding until level 6.

I prefer my sustainability over being overly safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampant Rabbit View Post
    Most of the top champs I play have more than decent escapes and in early levels a Ghost or Flash alone + boots / 3xhp are enough to survive ganks without warding until level 6.

I prefer my sustainability over being overly safe.
    Played as mordekaiser, dont have any reliable escape tool. :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    Yeah an early ward on mordekaiser is probablly good. Whenever I see mordekaiser on the other team I pick a gank heavy jungler and just babysit that lane all game.

By the way, do remember that you don't HAVE to place the ward right away. Once you play a few games, you'll probably know when the jungler will be coming, and just place the ward when you feel like you could be in trouble, unless you're planning on recalling early.

That's nice to remember. I placed it just before minions met up to each other in the start, because I wanted to focus on the farming, but Ill take that tip to heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Niku View Post
    Keep your shield up and/or passively farm near (not at) your turret until you're beefy enough. You can still poke and farm this way. You should also have Ghost or Flash so that makes it even easier. You could even go towards the middle of the lane.

I sometimes do it when i am vs an aggressive jungler who needs to gank (shaco , ali) but also in a easy lane, sometime you need to take the risk of the extra pots, vs harder laners to make sure you keep up in farm etc. But ya it works well in general

Deleted
    I can't really think of any situation where I would start with a ward if I'm on purple side.

If you're on blue side it can be a good idea if they have a jungler who can start at red for a level 2 gank (the purple team red buff is near the top lane). Mundo (with exhaust) and Lee Sin are a couple of examples that could really give you trouble as early as level 2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Meh. If I see an enemy start with a ward I would force trades since I would outsustain him in the end. If there's a dangerous lvl 2 ganker like Ali or Lee, I'd rather play safe instead of waste the money.

Depends on which hero I have, and which jungler they have. I only buy a ward first if A) I have plenty of sustain anyway. B) Their jungler ganks like a crazy whore. C) I would prefer to only b once I have a core item, I.e hextech revolver on vlad.

Deleted
    If you are bot-side, no need unless you overextend like a boss. Other side, no real need if you manage to bush juke with a flash/ghost.

There's no point, coming into lane with boots 1 pot and a ward will put you at a disadvantage in lane. It's better to just see who the enemy jungler is and play accordingly. Like if the enemy has a Lee Sin Jungle, it's likely to assume he will try a early gank, so just play passive and freeze the lane and go back early to get a ward and a dorans or something.

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on the champ, but I usually go regrowthpend+hp into philo/heart of gold and just last hit and play it safe. You usually get ganked when you push too far or your winning your lane and they need you dead

Generally i start off with the boots and two potions and excercise extreme caution with my movements, but I didn't consider that I could sacrifice one of those potions for a ward. I might try this next time I'm top.

it all depends if you expect to be ganked, if you know jungle routes your enemy jungler takes you can more or less predict his ganks anyway.

example: if you play purple side and your enemy jungler is alistair you can expect a gank top or mid around 2,20/2,30
    N