Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is wowhead stuffing their clicks?

I can't remember the term, it may be stuffing or loading or something like that, where they add a pixel on the clickables that auto opens to a dodge web page you wouldn't have opened before usually leading to viruses or trojens. Reason being that every computer I have used, be they using anti virus or not, I always get those fucking pop ups and when I later scan my pc for adware I always get Zedo, the pop up that comes from them.

So... Anyone else notice this or have this? Am I just loony? Is a mod going to lock this and make it though it never happened, track me down via my ip and slay me where I live for I have shown the world too much? Should I buy a tinfoil hat?

Oh and anyone who says: "By a Mac" just GTFO... That's like saying cut your d**k off and you will never get an STD.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

10+ Year Old Account
    This might sound silly, but what web browser are you using?
    Pokemon X/Y Friend Code: 1762-4021-4202
    My Safari = *Currently Unknown*
    Currently looking for Eevee/Growlithe Friend Safaris
    Feel free to Add/PM me for anything Pokemon

Deleted
    I have never gotten adware from Wowhead, let alone anything called Zedo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I get popups on wowhead even though I have disabled popups.
    When someone asks, “What is best in life?” there’s only one answer: “To crush the newbs, see them driven before me, and read their lamentations on the forums” - Lylirra

Deleted
    Wowhead does use annoying popunders but I haven't had any malware warnings for their banners. However, the banners displayed come from an advertisement company and sometimes malware does slip through, like it has in the past on warcraftrealms.com (and even MMO-C once iirc). Never had that on wowhead though.

Comparing buying a Mac with cutting off your mr winky is a bit extreme don't you think? :P And possibly a bit aggressive towards any Mac user who's actually taking the time to answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzow View Post
    This might sound silly, but what web browser are you using?
    Firefox and I used to use Chrome before I realised it was like having sex with a condom made of holes.

---------- Post added 2012-06-21 at 09:11 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Swoopeh View Post
    Wowhead does use annoying popunders but I haven't had any malware warnings for their banners. However, the banners displayed come from an advertisement company and sometimes malware does slip through, like it has in the past on warcraftrealms.com (and even MMO-C once iirc). Never had that on wowhead though.

Comparing buying a Mac with cutting off your mr winky is a bit extreme don't you think? :P And possibly a bit aggressive towards any Mac user who's actually taking the time to answer your question.
    It wasn't supposed to be an insult but I'm tired of that as a "fix it" reply. When people reply with that I tend to want to high five them... in their smug faces... with a chair.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    Firefox and I used to use Chrome before I realised it was like having sex with a condom made of holes.
    You're comparisons are really something.

Deleted
    What?

I use Chrome, I pretty much NEVER get any spyware, adware, trojans or the like.

If you surf the weird sites, you're going to get infected regardless of your browser, y'know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is a mod going to lock this and make it though it never happened, track me down via my ip and slay me where I live for I have shown the world too much?
    Yes, sir, the orbital laser is locked on his coordi--crap, he's onto us! Abort! Abort!

But seriously, it's probably something you should bring up with Wowhead themselves. As mentioned, many websites use advertising streams instead of running their own ads, and sometimes bad ads slip into those ad streams. Wowhead would want to know if something like that happened.

I've never gotten a pop-up ad from Wowhead myself, though. I just use Firefox's AdBlock Plus addon.

Deleted
    There are great advertisement blocking plug-ins for both Firefox and Chrome. I use Firefox with Adblock Lite and I barely ever see any advertisements.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivin View Post
    Yes, sir, the orbital laser is locked on his coordi--crap, he's onto us! Abort! Abort!

But seriously, it's probably something you should bring up with Wowhead themselves. As mentioned, many websites use advertising streams instead of running their own ads, and sometimes bad ads slip into those ad streams. Wowhead would want to know if something like that happened.

I've never gotten a pop-up ad from Wowhead myself, though. I just use Firefox's AdBlock Plus addon.
    Sweet, I'll get the addon now. Hopefully that helps.

And I stand by my comment about Chrome. It is easy to backdoor into.

Deleted
    add block, No Script Firefox user.
    really cannot stress how much better the web is with these 2 simple apps.
    I know sites need to generate revenue to keep going. but until they stop making seizure inducing flashing adverts, Adverts with the sounds on full blast. Pop-Unders, Pop-overs, ill formatted so you cant read the web page Adverts. then there is no way I will not be looking at blocking them.

I won't lie... mmo-champ feels naked without the banners xD

Firefox and I used to use Chrome before I realised it was like having sex with a condom made of holes.[COLOR="red"]
    http://security.networksasia.net/con...-browser-award

I won't lie... mmo-champ feels naked without the banners xD
    Never seen them. Firefox with AdBlock Plus is the bare minimum you need to make the internet usable, in my opinion.

Deleted
    using chrome for some years no and still no virus, annoying pop ups, phishing/malicious site visits, no ads.
    and when i'm on wowhead it loads smooth, no popups and ads.
    same goes for mmoc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Siggma View Post
    ad block, No Script Firefox user.
    I know sites need to generate revenue to keep going. but until they stop making seizure inducing flashing adverts, Adverts with the sounds on full blast. Pop-Unders, Pop-overs, ill formatted so you cant read the web page Adverts. then there is no way I will not be looking at blocking them.
    ^QFT. Ad Block Plus tag-teamed with No Script = virtually no ads whatsoever anywhere. On occasion I might have one slide by on Hulu or somewhere else, but otherwise I live a peaceful and ad-free life.

#FlightIsImportant

Deleted
    never got anything from wowhead. not even popups. use both chrome andd firefox

i would quote you 10 times for the truth in this thread. probably get me a ban if i do

15+ Year Old Account
    Yup, pretty much this. I've never seen a single popup on Wowhead. That being said, I don't think Wowhead is trying to intentionally infect you with spyware or malware.

However, I strongly disagree with this statement, but that's beside the point: