[Movies/TV] Netflix Recomendations

The watch instantly on Netflix has a ton of movies yes, but the vast majority of them are crap.

So I thought I would start a Netflix recommendation thread.

If you like quirky action crime thrillers Thursday is a good bet. It has a great cast, and is well written. Also to my knowlege this movie was never released on DVD in the U.S.

For Horror I would Recommend Trick R Treat IMO one of the best horror anthologies in the past 20 years and very entertaining.

Sci Fi my vote goes to Faculty great cast, and it is basically the Breakfast Club vs Aliens

Please leave suggestions and quick snippet reviews ..

I could look through Netflix for 45 minutes and not find any movies I want to watch, however TV series are an entirely different story. Netflix has found that series are better for business, instead of watching a dozen hour and a half movies a lot more people pay subscription fees to watch 187 episodes of Voyager or Quantum leap, ect. I've watched all of Voyager, 5 seasons of Supernatural, season 1 of Disneys Avengers, season 2 of Naruto, ect. They have every episode of Star Trek ever aired from classic right up to Enterprise. My kid likes it for Spongebob which I think they have like 4 or 5 seasons worth.

TV series is where the money is for Netflix.

Although I understand the extremely large selection of TV shows, I don't hardly every watch any TV programs on the service they provide.

Not much of a TV watcher I guess, or its that I don't re watch a show I have already seen.

There are good movies on Netflix it is just finding them. So I thought I would create a post where people could share the good stuff they found.

I just watched Grave Encounters and that was a pretty good horror flick.

I gave up on Netflix back when they lost their deal with Starz and i could just see them becoming shittier and shittier (as has happened)...However them adding Thursday to instant watch makes me question that decision very slightly

Quote Originally Posted by Youvegotfail View Post
    I gave up on Netflix back when they lost their deal with Starz and i could just see them becoming shittier and shittier (as has happened)...However them adding Thursday to instant watch makes me question that decision very slightly
    Yeah Thursday is a great movie, I have not found anyone that doesn't like it.

I had to buy that damn movie on DVD from Austria or something .. but was totally worth it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    I could look through Netflix for 45 minutes and not find any movies I want to watch, however TV series are an entirely different story. Netflix has found that series are better for business, instead of watching a dozen hour and a half movies a lot more people pay subscription fees to watch 187 episodes of Voyager or Quantum leap, ect. I've watched all of Voyager, 5 seasons of Supernatural, season 1 of Disneys Avengers, season 2 of Naruto, ect. They have every episode of Star Trek ever aired from classic right up to Enterprise. My kid likes it for Spongebob which I think they have like 4 or 5 seasons worth.

TV series is where the money is for Netflix.
    I totally agree. Every time I try to find a movie I want to watch, the only ones on there even worth watching are either ones I already own on DVD or Blu-ray or ones I have already seen a bunch of times. Their TV selection is great though. I just finished watching all of DS9 for the third time and started SG-1 again. I tried to watch Enterprise but I just do not like the cast of that series outside of Bakula. Think I will watch Sliders after SG-1. Been years since I have seen that.

The obvious television choices for anyone who hasn't seen them yet are Breaking Bad and Battlestar Galactica

The movie selection is definitely a lot slimmer. For a comedy I was unexpectedly amused by Hot Tub Time Machine. The psychological thriller The Lazarus Project with Paul Walker held my attention also.

But the hidden gems can be found in the wide selection of documentaries that are available to stream. Here are three winners in my book. They are all well produced and tell exceptional stories in my opinion.

Pulling John - a look at the sport of arm wrestling and its all time greatest athlete John Brzenk (the Michael Jordan of the sport)
    Chasing Ghosts - explores the world of competitive arcade gaming in the early 80s and looks at where the wiz kids of the joystick are today
    Takedowns and Falls - a fantastic chronicle of the Central Dauphin wrestling team's quest for a state title in grappling obsessed Pennsylvania

10+ Year Old Account
    Canadian and U.S Netflix choices are extremely variable and we receive 90% less good choices compared to U.S.

Not sure if Americans share the same pool of shows as I do but a few good series are:
    Jerico
    Firefly
    Breaking Bad
    Dexter
    Are You Afraid of the Dark? - Although, I admit it's mostly 90s Nostalgia

I've found quite a few cheesy zombie movies that were horribly produced, I don't recall the name of the one I watched recently but it starred Crab Man from My Name is Earl. There's also the original 'My Bloody Valentine' which was filmed in my hometown and is apparently Quentin Tarantino's favorite slashers. So bad it's enjoyable.

I share my info with all my family since I don't watch anything often and my whole family seems to enjoy it.
    My mother loves old shows from the 80s-90s and the rare 'Ellen Show' is available. I have a younger brother and he frequently watches Spongebob and Fairly OddParents.

Yeah totally agree there are some great movies on Netflix it is just sorting through all the crap to find the diamonds in the rough.

My votes go to BSG and The Tudors.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you want a terrible horror movie to sit there and make fun of, I recommend Thankskilling to. Hour long, just a really cheesy movie filled with memorable quotes to use. Budget of like $3,500. Good stuff.
    Battletag: Vale#11596
    Armory - Twitter - Stream

10+ Year Old Account
    @Emmry
    Are you serious the us Netflix removed Dexter ages ago and CA still has it .....

10+ Year Old Account
    I would recommend

OSS 117 Cairo, Nest of Spies

Hazanavicius directing
    Jean Dujardin & Berenice Bejo starring

in case those names aren't familiar to you, thats the big three from The Artist

Quote Originally Posted by LocNess View Post
    If you want a terrible horror movie to sit there and make fun of, I recommend Thankskilling to. Hour long, just a really cheesy movie filled with memorable quotes to use. Budget of like $3,500. Good stuff.
    Yeah I actually saw this, so bad it was funny.

A good one that is on there that a lot of people have probably already seen Tales From the Crypt Demon Knight