Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I highly recommend Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - It's an incredibly technical martial art that is equal parts physical and mental. For every move, there's one or more counter-moves. For every counter, there's one or more counter-counters. You need to be thinking about what you can do, what your opponent can do to stop you, and what you can do to stop him from stopping you all at the same time. The difference between success and failure is often your knee/hips/arms/centre being 1cm off. Additionally, there is no single "standard" style. Every person has their own unique way of doing it, which keeps it quite interesting.
    Furthermore, your strength advantage will be somewhat negated by the fact that it is so technical and if you do decide to compete, weight divisions almost entirely negate any size advantage you may have.

As an aside, I'm calling bullshit on anyone claiming that "X martial art completely ignores the size of a person". It's total bullshit. Yes, a 5ft nothing woman could beat the shit out of a 6ft guy if she's a black belt and he's clueless. But equal skill level? Big guys wins 9 times out of 10.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigercat View Post
    Don't use facts, they unsettle peoples' prejudices, and once that happens the flames start.
    Quote Originally Posted by krethos View Post
    Its Science, just ask Albert Einstien, he invented Space

10+ Year Old Account
    Shotokan Karate

Deleted
    Do mma or bjj. You will need sooo much technique. Stick to the most efficient once.

Deleted
    I have trained bjj, muya thai, boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, kyokushin karate and a bit of mma myself and I liked them all except kyokushin karate. Boxing wasn't that fun either, but mix some kicks and stuff in there and it gets suddenly much more fun. I liked bjj, wrestling and mma the most though because I started with wrestling when I was very young and moved to bjj when I got older and while I trained that I tried on mma as well. I'm not training any of those currently but if I return some day to those sports I will very likely start with mma and / or bjj again. Wrestling was very exhausting and I felt like I couldn't train it very well casually so it's likely I won't return to that. From my experience you train the hardest in mma, wrestling and in muya thai, while kyokushin is very relaxing and doesn't even make you very sweaty.

TL;DR I liked the most mma, bjj and wrestling and I suggest you to pick mma or bjj. Judo is quite similar to bjj and might be a good choice as well. For self defence everything except wrestling and karate is good, though wrestling isn't completely useless for self defence. Shit and messy post I know, ask me if you want to know more about some of those sports.

E: And as said, karate, taekwondo and aikido etc. doesn't work as self defence, you just hurt yourself if you try to defend yourself with those techniques. They aren't complete bullshit anyway, especially taekwondo, as the kicks (which doesn't work in kickboxing and muya thai) might make you pretty agile, and some people might find those sports fun anyway.
    Last edited by mmoc2810353ea4; 2012-07-22 at 06:34 PM.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    I am a retired martial artist who studied multiple styles at the same time. I did Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, it is horribly overrated, in other words what you see in MMA is not even close to what the real techniques are like, they hybrid everything with wrestling but it's not nearly as effective as real ground fighting like jiu jitsu. I primarily studied Go Jiu Ryu for 10 years straight, nearly attained my black belt at two separate schools, the second time I quit because my second teacher was a douche nozzle and the only way to get my belt was to continue studying plus teach classes 5 days a week in the evenings (no pay) when I wanted to work a part time job, I had to switch schools due to moving originally. Still though, it's a good style to learn, the essentials of fighting on your feet can be learned from it, as well as weapons training with the bo, tong fa, daggers and a few other weapons as you progress through the ranks. The ground self defense is rather weak, which is why jiu jitsu is a good art to study for that purpose alone.

I also did some kung fu and thai chi along the ways, though I never was fond of either because it was more crap my second sensei was trying to stuff into my head that I had no interest in learning.

Deleted
    Aikido is great for big guys, especially those that are also somewhat 'stiff'.

It will round you out nicely, give you fluidity in movement and make you very good friends with the floor
    Breakfalls and rolls are highly underrated and are an incredibly useful skill to have for life in general it can easily make the difference between bruises, lacerations and broken bones when falling during other sports activity or even riding bikes.

Training is also reasonably intense and varied with a lot of depth in techniques.

It cannot hold a candle as a self-defense discipline vs serious striking or grappling enthusiasts (thai, low kicks, bjj etc) but that's not to say it can't work defensively against the average untrained aggressor.

It's failings as a self-defense discipline come from the fact that there's usually no 'sparring' with fully resisting opponents,
    techniques are trained with resistance but there's a degree of cooperation (if for no other reason so that the attacker can also train his breakfalls, rolls and escapes)

Additionally since aikido is for all intents and purposes samurai training with no armor on, the defenses against strikes are mostly practiced against opponents that attack with a sword or hand-attacks that mimic the various sword cuts, lots of open hand slashing moves.
    (off-topic this does however make it quite efficient against 'armored' opponents like crowd control police with batons)

Its self-defense shortcomings aside, it would really fit your specifications to a 't' as laid out on the first post.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=loDA2teSB74

Quote Originally Posted by QQingshaman View Post
    i have found that in the last few months i have been getting less and less enjoyment out of my workouts, so im looking for something new to do. I've decided on martial arts, but i am not completely sold on which one yet.

I am a decently large guy, 6'2" 250 lbs (188 cm 113 kg) not cut, but not fat. i have done some boxing, so i am fairly confident in my ability to defend myself. What i am looking for is a truly artful martial art. I want something that requires speed, agility, flexibility, and incredible technique. I don't want to be able to use my strength advantage at all.

As of right now i have narrowed it down to Baguazhang and Aikido. any input is appreciated, please specify whether you do the martial art you are talking about, or any martial art for that matter.

Also, i took TKD when i was little, and while i liked it i would like something different.
    I'm 6'6' and 260 lbs. I've done Kickboxing for 15 years and BJJ for 3 years. The thing about BJJ was that, after a few months of training, it felt like I had unlocked a new part of my brain. Even after all those years of kickboxing BJJ took me too a new level mentally. It requires all the things you mentioned and will give you the best chance of developing beyond the muscle. Although, I would maybe recommend learning to use your strength properly instead of training away from it. Technique can help overcome strength but, all things being equal, muscle and size will win in a tie.

Deleted
    Chinese martial arts will always have my heart though I have ventured in to jujitsu...I'm currently studying White Crane, which is pure beauty.

The only advice I would give is to find a club that feels like it could be a home and family...even if you decide on a discipline that sounds great, the style of a club may not be 100% compatible.

10+ Year Old Account
    TKD, Okinawa-te or BJJ is what I would recommend if you can find it. I personally love Okinawa-te. It's a satsujin-ken type of martial arts and it's basically formed to take the opponent down/out as fast as possible without any wasted movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    I'll stick to Japanese arts, as I honestly don't know much about the chinese arts.

I've never really seen an aikido competition, i'm not sure how they'd pan out tbh, possibly end up a bit like judo =p

jujutsu however (at least in my association) has many different forms of competition, and some of these are based more on the "art" than the "fighting"

we have:

Sparring - stand up semi contact fighting, most strikes allowed (no elbows or knees or low blows) as well as standing locks and throws - judges desicion

Ground Fighting - both start kneeling, fight goes until the end of the round for judges desicion or until tap out

"Kumite" - at some smaller comps they mix the 2 above into one competition, which is basically ameture mma rules - very fun =D

Kata - Pick a Kata and perform it, judged on technique, accuracy and generally how well you did it

Weapons Kata - Same as above but with weapons =D

Pairs Demo - This is basically a 2 min long choreographed fight, you're both judged on how good/smooth it all looks, and how good the techniques are

and finally:

Random Attacks - I've just got back from the European championships in this, and while originally I didn't rate it, after training as part of the UK squad for 6 months in preparation I now really enjoy it. The Idea is that its a self defence competition, you take a partner with you usually, and he/she is your attacker, they will be told in secret what attack (usually from a list of 40 or so) to do on you. they then stand behind you, the ref tells you to turn around and as soona s you're facing the attacker they perform the relavent attack and you have to defend yourself. judged on effectiveness, technique and it has to be streetwise - so it would have to work on the streets - which limits the "flying" techniques =p
    Try BJJ, it will change your life. Google Carlson Gracie Essex.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would suggest Karate. I did it for few weeks and loved it. If of any interest, my friend's father used to compete in various sports, Judo, Karate and some boxing. He says Karate is something he loves most.