View Poll Results: Should Blizzard add a Vanilla WoW server?

Voters
313. This poll is closed
  • Yes

84 26.84%
  • No

229 73.16%
Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Should Blizzard add a vanilla WoW server?

I've just downloaded Warcraft 3 and I'm really starting to get into the lore of the game. Unfortunately, Cataclysm has changed a lot of the old quests that kind of tied in with Warcraft 3. I would love to have the opportunity to play Azeroth before the Cataclysm. Do you think Blizzard should create a server with Vanilla quests and maps? Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking

No. I used to be for this, but I quickly realized that this just simply wouldn't work. You have the issue of class balance, knowledge on the raids already, etc.

Enh shamans were hella OP during Vanilla. Everyone knows this. Then everyone rolls an Enh shaman.

It just wouldn't work.

yes they should, and then they should post the server population on day 1, and then 30 days later to show how many people stop playing it in a month. and then these threads would stop.

i would play it though

You got a point about quests and lore, something you don't see everytime theres a post about vanilla servers. However, I don't think its enough to justify such a big undertaking by Blizzard as only a selected few will do the quests once and then move on. Also story progresses and the game changes with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ElfinHilon10 View Post
    No. I used to be for this, but I quickly realized that this just simply wouldn't work. You have the issue of class balance, knowledge on the raids already, etc.

Enh shamans were hella OP during Vanilla. Everyone knows this. Then everyone rolls an Enh shaman.

It just wouldn't work.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that he is talking about an actual vanilla server, with vanilla talents and such, but more of a server that has all the old quests that were removed when cataclysm came out and such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I would just like to quest through the Plaguelands and feel like I'm continuing on from Warcraft 3. I realize its two different games, but learning some of the lore from it, I've come to appreciate the old quests we had.

I don't think there'd be enough players interested in it to allow for a healthy server population.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Opaug View Post
    I've just downloaded Warcraft 3 and I'm really starting to get into the lore of the game. Unfortunately, Cataclysm has changed a lot of the old quests that kind of tied in with Warcraft 3. I would love to have the opportunity to play Azeroth before the Cataclysm. Do you think Blizzard should create a server with Vanilla quests and maps? Let me know what you think. Thanks for looking
    Maybe you should search on this topic, then you'd find that a gazillion people have asked the same thing before and that the argumetns against it cannot be argued.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    I don't think there'd be enough players interested in it to allow for a healthy server population.
    And you are 100% correct. Also, there is no way subscriptions would recoup the development costs. And, yes, there would be significant development costs. They can't just plop up the last Vanilla patch and have it run. Their server/client technology has changed way too much and is no longer compatible.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    What kind of Vanilla do you want? If you want it that much you can install straight from a Vanilla disk onto a private server. If you want the other Vanilla content patches, you might be able to find the files around on the internet, but they'd probably be hard to find.

They should, just to shut people up. I imagine it'd go like this:

Day 1: Server opens up, everyone goes there to "relive the awesomeness of original WoW"
    Day 2: Everyone is like "Screw this, today's WoW is FAR better!" and goes back to Cata/MoP.

Problem solved, everyone is content to leave Vanilla in the past.

I have no interest in living in the past so I chose no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    What kind of Vanilla do you want? If you want it that much you can install straight from a Vanilla disk onto a private server. If you want the other Vanilla content patches, you might be able to find the files around on the internet, but they'd probably be hard to find.
    Really? I had no idea we were able to do this. Very cool indeed. I'll have to look into it more.
    And I'm not really looking for a server that they would need to maintain much.

How about an single player option so you can at least experience the old quests and such?

---------- Post added 2012-06-23 at 10:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    And you are 100% correct. Also, there is no way subscriptions would recoup the development costs. And, yes, there would be significant development costs. They can't just plop up the last Vanilla patch and have it run. Their server/client technology has changed way too much and is no longer compatible.
    Do you really think adding a single player option with the game prior to Burning Crusade would take a lot of development?

---------- Post added 2012-06-23 at 10:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Creamy Flames View Post
    Maybe you should search on this topic, then you'd find that a gazillion people have asked the same thing before and that the argumetns against it cannot be argued.
    If you don't like a thread, I'm not sure why you would post in it.

Deleted
    They won't but they should.The popular belief is that Blizzard really cares for their customers(the do care to some extent, to the extent of their pockets), sadly this has been asked since ages and every single time they would just say no.

There are fifty fuckton bajilion realms with no more than 1k players online at peak hours for the both factions, there are even more servers that are complete ghost towns.
    Out of all these realms they can't merge 2 of them and use the server machine that supported one ghost town and roll one single vanilla realm?

They just CAN'T BE ARSED, simple as that.They can't be arsed to merge some of those fucking ghost town realms and give the live players a proper experience, asking for fantasies like vanilla realm must seem insulting to them.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no reason to want a server with the pre-cataclysm questlines, unless you are a masochist.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Vanilla WoW is one of those things where it was awesome when it was -the- game, but only few know how truely time-consuming that game was. if you wanted to raid, then you had to spend countless hours farming resistance gear and mats for potions/flasks and countless hours actually raiding. if you wanted to (enjoy) pvp, then you had to raid. great times, but not something most are willing to go back to.

No, I don't think it would last very long and would end up completely dead really quick. Probably end up even more dead than the current dead realms now. When The Sims Online was online, they made a special city in a hardcore mode, and that eventually fizzled out.

No, the game was much more tedious and boring back them compared to today. Also, if made available, people would QQ that they cannot level past 60.

ya know I dont think it would be such a bad thing! I know alot of ppl seem to think development costs would be huge, but all they would have to do is make it like an instance or something...the development is already done for it, considering it has already been made and rolled out...

I imagine it would be more impractical than impossible or difficult.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-cleave View Post
    They should, just to shut people up. I imagine it'd go like this:

Day 1: Server opens up, everyone goes there to "relive the awesomeness of original WoW"
    Day 2: Everyone is like "Screw this, today's WoW is FAR better!" and goes back to Cata/MoP.

Problem solved, everyone is content to leave Vanilla in the past.
    People don't remember the bad parts of original Wow. I will say Cata hasn't been great, granted... Vanilla WoW had some BRUTAL parts to it, i do believe it is the best game they have released (box set wow), but with the little small things that has been removed that we have not had to do for such long, yeah...pass

When a wild forum troll appears