1. #4161
    Herald of the Titans Proskill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    2,869
    looking for roguelike/roguelite games like vampire survivors, with endless replayability

    - - - Updated - - -

    also, is there anything like Golden Sun from GameBoy available on PCs?
    cuz i hate final fantasy
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

  2. #4162
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    also, is there anything like Golden Sun from GameBoy available on PCs?
    I can't think of any games exactly like Golden Sun.

    cuz i hate final fantasy
    Which FF games did you play and what did you dislike about them? FF has a wide variety in games and there is probably something that you might like.

    There are plenty of JRPG alternatives to Final Fantasy.

    • Suikoden: the precursor to the Trails series. Grounded RPGs about wars and civil wars in nations, rather than a globe trotting adventure to save the world from ultimate evil. You play as the leader of an army, going around recruiting characters. You can have up to six party members in battle and there are several dozen different playable party members for you to choose from. Take whoever appeals to you the most, the games are pretty easy. There are also army battles where you command your forces in pitched battles against foes. All games are set in the same universe, but 1 > 2 > 3 have the most direct narrative, with 1 and 2 having dozens of shared characters, taking place in neighboring countries, and only taking place 3 years apart from each other. 3 is set 15 years after the end of 2 and has fewer characters but still feels like a good capstone to the series. 4 and 5 are prequels, with 4 taking place hundreds of years in the past and 5 taking place just a few years before 1. My recommendation would be to play 1 > 2, and if you want more Suikoden, then play 3. 1 can be a little rough and feels like a SNES game at times, but it is well worth it in preparation for Suikoden 2, which is a fantastic game and still holds up as one of the best JRPGs. I would advise against skipping 1 straight to 2. Also, play the bug fixed version of Suikoden 2. A true spiritual successor to Suikoden called Eiyudan Chronicle is in the works and will release on Steam next year.
    • Trails series. Is the modern version of Suikoden. All games set in the same world and in the same timeframe, lots of characters and subplots reappearing across multiple games. Each game focuses on a different country. However, Trails is a little more stereotypically modern JRPGy than Suikoden, as there are hardly any character deaths and wars amount to nothing, and the plots boil down to fight an ultimate evil godmonster. That being said, the games have great music, great PC ports, and the games localized by XSEED have good localizations. The Cold Steel games have fantastic combat.
    • Atelier series. You play as a cute little girl who owns an alchemy shop. You and your party kill monsters, harvest their body parts, return to your shop to craft new items like bombs, and progress the story. The Dusk trilogy starting with either Ayesha, or Escha & Logy would be my recommended starting point.
    • SaGA series: basically open world Final Fantasy with Elder Scrolls levelling systems (cast magic to raise your magic stat, attack with a spear to raise your spear skill, etc), and also permadeath. Don't play if you want story. If you do want story, then probably the most mainstream SaGA game would be The Last Remnant, which has FFXII aesthetics, an interesting fantasy setting with 4 unique races and civilizations built around magical artifacts, awesome power metal music by Tsuyoshi Sekito, and a battle system where you control 4 parties on the battlefield at once (ie 20 characters), and no permadeath. TLR was delisted from Steam so you will have to buy a Steam key from a key reselling site like G2A. Also, I would strongly recommend using the TLRplanner mod to force spawn mobs and see what missables to get before progressing the story.
    • Grandia: similar aesthetics to Golden Sun. 1 and 2 are well liked by the JRPG community.

  3. #4163
    Herald of the Titans Proskill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    I can't think of any games exactly like Golden Sun.



    Which FF games did you play and what did you dislike about them? FF has a wide variety in games and there is probably something that you might like.[/list]
    i hate FF cuz its all over the place. plus theres FF set in fantasy world like the MMO, and FF in future/modern times. guess i dislike that specific japanese taste about it.
    i think i played final fantasy somewhere around 10, on PS2. there was yuna, rikku or smth etc
    also played FF7 in 2014 when it was dated as hell, and it was awful xd

    thanks for suggestions
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

  4. #4164
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    i hate FF cuz its all over the place. plus theres FF set in fantasy world like the MMO, and FF in future/modern times. guess i dislike that specific japanese taste about it.
    i think i played final fantasy somewhere around 10, on PS2. there was yuna, rikku or smth etc
    also played FF7 in 2014 when it was dated as hell, and it was awful xd

    thanks for suggestions
    There are different FFs. You play the ones that appeal to you the most.

    • FFs 1-5 take place in traditional fantasy settings. 1-3 are barebones NES games without much story. 4-5 have more story to them, but not much compared to modern JRPGs we are familiar with. 4 has a more serious story where you play as the Darth Vader of a conquering empire, who has a change of heart and decides to switch sides. 5 has a very lighthearted story.
    • 6 starts bringing in lots of steampunk aesthetics, has a much darker tone.
    • 7 is diselpunk/modern. Revolutionized the JRPG genre due to how story heavy it is.
    • 8 is also modern.
    • 9 is a return to form with traditional fantasy aesthetics in the style of 1 through 6.
    • 10 is set in a Southeast Asia/Pacific setting, has some modern stuff thrown into it.
    • 11 is set in a more traditional fantasy world but has really dated presentation if you're playing for the story.
    • 12 has renaissance era aesthetics with some magitek mixed in.
    • 13 is futuristic.
    • 14's setting is really, really varied. You have feudal kingdoms, and carribbean pirate nations, and islamic-esque sultantes, spanish kingdoms, Edo period Japan, Sengoku Japan with some China thrown in there, an imperialistic empire with cars and airships, and so on.
    • 15 is just Barstow California and Venice.
    • Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre are set in a late medieval fantasy world.
    • The tactics advance games are set in a more generic fantasy setting.
    • Vagrant Story is set in a renaissance-esque world, similar to FFXII but without the magitek.
    • Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles leans towards small, tribal village populations.
    • Etc

    IF you're going to pick a game based off of aesthetics then you could skim through this video that collates most of the FF games (doesn't include unofficial games made by the same teams with the same design philosophies like Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, etc. If you're ranking "Gundam" shows then it is rather silly to only include shows with Gundam in the actual name, given that you have stuff like Dragonar which is an official, unofficial Gundam AU made by the same guys before officially titled Gundam AUs were a thing.


  5. #4165
    I would suggest Valorant

  6. #4166
    Herald of the Titans Proskill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    2,869
    so uhm, what are some games with playable dragons, drakonids, dragon knights turning into dragons etc etc?

    edit: games that come to my mind is dota and the dragon knight hero and shyvana champion from LoL. baldurs gate 3 and the sorcerer class imbued with draconic powers too. not sure what else
    Last edited by Proskill; 2022-04-22 at 04:50 PM.
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

  7. #4167
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    so uhm, what are some games with playable dragons, drakonids, dragon knights turning into dragons etc etc
    Not many, and they usually tend to be crappy, or didn't give a satisfying dragon experience.

    • Spryo lets you play as a tiny dragon, but you don't get the experience of being a dragon. Is basically Super Mario 64 platformer.
    • Battle of Giants: Dragons was a DS game where you played as a dragon and fought other dragons. The game was really meh. Cool TCG art, though.
    • There was an MMO that let you play as a dragon but it is really dated, might even be closed down by now and might have some cash shop problems. Don't recall the name of it. I think it might have been Istaria.
    • Divinity Original Sin 2 allows you play as a lizardman, who looks slightly draconic.
    • On that note, the Elder Scrolls series allows you to play as the lizard race, the Argonians, and there are various mods that can tweak their appearances and make them look more draconic (ie, retextures, wings, new firebreathing shouts, etc).


    There are dragon adjacent games where you don't get to play as the dragon, but ride one.

    • Panzer Dragoon is Star Fox 64 but you ride a dragon in an alien world. You can also upgrade the dragon. Is cool. Instructions here.
    • Legend of Dragoon is JRPG about 7 warriors who can transform and sprout draconic wings.
    • Drakengard 3 allows you to ride on a dragon, but it's shit.
    • There are various How to Train your Dragon games of varying quality, and some are for the Wii which means it might be difficult to play them.
    • Tactics Ogre has the Dragon Tamer class that can tame dragons and use them as pets in battle.

  8. #4168
    The Lightbringer Lollis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    England
    Posts
    3,473
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    so uhm, what are some games with playable dragons, drakonids, dragon knights turning into dragons etc etc?
    Day of Dragons. Basically a survival game like those 'eat fish get bigger' games but a bit more complex.
    Speciation Is Gradual

  9. #4169
    Herald of the Titans Proskill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    Not many, and they usually tend to be crappy, or didn't give a satisfying dragon experience.

    • Spryo lets you play as a tiny dragon, but you don't get the experience of being a dragon. Is basically Super Mario 64 platformer.
    • Battle of Giants: Dragons was a DS game where you played as a dragon and fought other dragons. The game was really meh. Cool TCG art, though.
    • There was an MMO that let you play as a dragon but it is really dated, might even be closed down by now and might have some cash shop problems. Don't recall the name of it. I think it might have been Istaria.
    • Divinity Original Sin 2 allows you play as a lizardman, who looks slightly draconic.
    • On that note, the Elder Scrolls series allows you to play as the lizard race, the Argonians, and there are various mods that can tweak their appearances and make them look more draconic (ie, retextures, wings, new firebreathing shouts, etc).


    There are dragon adjacent games where you don't get to play as the dragon, but ride one.

    • Panzer Dragoon is Star Fox 64 but you ride a dragon in an alien world. You can also upgrade the dragon. Is cool. Instructions here.
    • Legend of Dragoon is JRPG about 7 warriors who can transform and sprout draconic wings.
    • Drakengard 3 allows you to ride on a dragon, but it's shit.
    • There are various How to Train your Dragon games of varying quality, and some are for the Wii which means it might be difficult to play them.
    • Tactics Ogre has the Dragon Tamer class that can tame dragons and use them as pets in battle.
    can always count on u <3
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

  10. #4170
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    22,364
    Trying to come up with a list of accessible action/adventure/rpg-esque games for a sick person to play from a laptop while in hospital.

    1. It can't be too hard, too weird, or have complex systems. Looking for something simple and straightforward. Because he'll probably be playing with the trackpad (although I will get a controller in case), nothing with skillshots or FPS type stuff.

    2. Additionally, it can't require much reading, whether we're talking about dialogue or comprehensive tooltips/talents/systems. This is for a person for whom reading is difficult, and the point of the game is something distracting and fun, so pretty firm on this rule.

    3. Should be easy to stop at a given moment and pick it back up from that point later, because yknow hospital, so nothing with a lot of cut scenes or minimal save points, or that requires you to play with other people.

    I'm going to install a couple of the latest Tomb Raider reboots games, but ideally I'd like to put a lot more games than just that, I'm just struggling to come up with some good options since I tend to like stuff with a lot of reading/story or more interesting systems myself. What about the Batman Arkham games or do you think too much? I haven't played any of them in ages. Puzzle/casual games and other genres are okay to suggest too, as long as they still meet those general requirements.

    Also, this is more niche but throwing it out: he also really likes casino games but so many of these are free with garbage adware or have p2w type mechanics, so if anyone has any suggestion of a basic b2p game with poker, blackjack, craps, that is straightforward and not ancient, I'd appreciate it. All the ones on Steam have pretty shitty reviews or are trying to do too much.

    Edit: I guess it goes without saying, but probably nothing depressing since the goal is fun escapism.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2022-04-27 at 07:01 AM.
    Current Intermittent Availability - Please Contact Another Global

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


  11. #4171
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,079
    @Tziva

    Depending on his tolerance for metroidvania platformers, Dust: an Elysian Tail and Ori and the Blind Forest might be good recommendations. Ori has almost no dialogue. Dust leans toward more action combat than Ori.

    Maybe a Sonic game. I'd recommend Heroes, but it is sadly not on Steam. Adventure DX is also on steam. There are also the 2D Sonic games, but they are harder. No idea about the quality of those PC ports.

    Minecraft is an option. You said no FPS games, but you can play in creative mode where there are no monsters, so you don't need twitch reflexes.

    Jet Cars Stunts apparently got a PC port and is dirt cheap on steam. I played the mobile version, dunno how it is on PC. It's platforming with a rocket car. No pressure or enemies or anything. Is pretty fun.

    For puzzle games, Opus Magnum by Zachitronics might be a good one. It's a game about trying to maximize the efficiency of your alchemical process.

    There are also the LEGO video games, namely the ones by Traveller's Tales. Extremely easy action games. The first two Lego Star Wars games by TT were pretty good and had no dialogue, whereas the newer ones I believe have dialogue. The old ones also don't have lots of DLC, which is nice. LEGO Island 2 and LEGO Racers 2 were the best LEGO games, IMO, but sadly they are not on Steam.

    Star Wars Podracer is okay. No idea about the quality of the PC port. I can't remember if you could pause.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2022-04-27 at 09:46 AM.

  12. #4172
    Herald of the Titans Proskill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    2,869
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Trying to come up with a list of accessible action/adventure/rpg-esque games for a sick person to play from a laptop while in hospital.

    1. It can't be too hard, too weird, or have complex systems. Looking for something simple and straightforward. Because he'll probably be playing with the trackpad (although I will get a controller in case), nothing with skillshots or FPS type stuff.

    2. Additionally, it can't require much reading, whether we're talking about dialogue or comprehensive tooltips/talents/systems. This is for a person for whom reading is difficult, and the point of the game is something distracting and fun, so pretty firm on this rule.

    3. Should be easy to stop at a given moment and pick it back up from that point later, because yknow hospital, so nothing with a lot of cut scenes or minimal save points, or that requires you to play with other people.

    I'm going to install a couple of the latest Tomb Raider reboots games, but ideally I'd like to put a lot more games than just that, I'm just struggling to come up with some good options since I tend to like stuff with a lot of reading/story or more interesting systems myself. What about the Batman Arkham games or do you think too much? I haven't played any of them in ages. Puzzle/casual games and other genres are okay to suggest too, as long as they still meet those general requirements.

    Also, this is more niche but throwing it out: he also really likes casino games but so many of these are free with garbage adware or have p2w type mechanics, so if anyone has any suggestion of a basic b2p game with poker, blackjack, craps, that is straightforward and not ancient, I'd appreciate it. All the ones on Steam have pretty shitty reviews or are trying to do too much.

    Edit: I guess it goes without saying, but probably nothing depressing since the goal is fun escapism.
    my suggestions are: vampire survivors and dead cells

    these are the kind of games i like to play on laptop while in bed
    im also open for more recommendations
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

  13. #4173
    Free Food!?!?! Tziva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cretaceous Period
    Posts
    22,364
    Thanks guys. And to be clear, the games don't have to be on Steam. I just don't want to install a bunch of clients for him to juggle, so I was probably going to try to stick to steam and bnet unless I cross something really perfect on another platform.
    Current Intermittent Availability - Please Contact Another Global

    for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

    TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

    | youtube | twitch | twitter |


  14. #4174
    I want a game where I am like a fire mage from WoW, a 3rd person perspective action/adventure type game, could be RPG or MMO I dont mind but yeah I want to be a great magey wizardy sorceress type character firing all these wonderful spells with great animations and very nice shiney graphics, so it has to be modern.. with great game play too?

    Recently realised I really like 'witchy' type series such as FATE A Winx Saga / Discovery of Witches etc, are there any good games like this?

    (Think WITCHER3 except you are a wizard of some sort instead - That would be perfect)

  15. #4175
    Herald of the Titans Proskill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    EU
    Posts
    2,869
    im looking for something with character progression. like talent trees, gear (not just stats, but also effects etc). something that makes me wanna chase after smth.
    it may be turn-based, or real-time like dead cells for example, but more persistent. i like simplicity, so indie games are very welcome.
    preferably smth i can run on my laptop while in bed

    inb4 diablo immortal xd

    - - - Updated - - -

    may be also something like space ships to customize or whatever
    i5-6600 3.3GHz|16 GB RAM|GeForce GTX 1070
    EVE Online referral link: https://www.eveonline.com/signup/?in...a-e190e6a28fd5|receive 750,000 Skill Points
    Star Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

  16. #4176
    The Insane Val the Moofia Boss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    16,079
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    im looking for something with character progression. like talent trees, gear (not just stats, but also effects etc). something that makes me wanna chase after smth.
    it may be turn-based, or real-time like dead cells for example, but more persistent. i like simplicity, so indie games are very welcome.
    preferably smth i can run on my laptop while in bed

    inb4 diablo immortal xd

    - - - Updated - - -

    may be also something like space ships to customize or whatever
    There are far too many games with "character progression" to count. Personally I find most "progression" systems to be shallow and to just waste my time. I find the most entertaining customization systems are the ones that allow you to create broken builds, which are fun.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •