Post A Game of Waiting...(Very Boring)

WoW is very fun but there is no major content coming out for another 6 months. Yes, I can do RP events and PvP in the mean time, but that's it. so... what else is there? Well...

WAR is the game that I'd play over WoW but that's gone now.

ESO is cool and has the best PvP for an MMO in years but it's an MMO; it isn't immersive enough. Also, Cryodill is ridiculously over saturated with reused assets and is the only PvP map in the entire game.

Star Wars Galaxies was awesome and very unique, too bad it closed. SWTOR is just blatantly a retextured WoW.

Rift has a unique class system but that's about it.

Aion is absolutely boring.

GW2 has very weak lore and is not immersive at all. The gameplay is too repetitive and the level scaling makes the whole idea of leveling uninteresting because you will never feel like your becoming more powerful.

EVE Online takes WAY too much time to get into. I played it every week for two years, mining ores to save up for my inevitable three billion ISK purchase will training in all of these advanced skills that takes months to level. After two years of waiting, I finally got my skills for my equipment capped and bought that Vindicator, fully decked out with the best rigs, equipment, and ammo. I took out for a spin in Jita just to admire my 24 months of grinding, only for the whole thing to be blown up by a group from a corporation camping outside the station within 30 seconds of undocking, who had apparently mistaken me for a corp rival. Two years...for a three billion ISK ship and the best skills for PvE, only to be all thrown down the drain in thirty seconds over a case of mistaken identity. I never had even left the vinicty of the station to take the screenshots when I was warp jammed. I will never play EVE again.

Star Citizen is promising but it doesn't come out for another 9 months.

Minecraft is great, but after 6 years of playing the same thing, you kinda get bored.

Everquest Next Landmark is Minecraft 2.0, allowing for much more detailed creations, but I'm not going to spend 60 dollars just for an early beta, so I have to wait anywhere from another 6 months to a full year before I can actually play it.

Kingdom Come Deliverance doesn't come out till the end of the year too.

Shroud of the Avatar Part 1 is unfinished. Have to wait until the end of the year as well.

Have to wait until July for Pillars of Eternity.

And Dark Souls doesn't let you play with friends, not any true mods out there, and is too unforgiving, especially for players who are inexperienced with action games.

Now that my rant is over, you may now roll over me with tons of suggestions that I was too stupid to notice. Blast away!

Wildstar? That's the game to play

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    Huh? That game I heard about a while back? Lemme google it and investigate. Thanks for the lead!

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    Well judging by OP's opinion of Swtor, Wildstar would probably instil a similar reaction.

OP are you spefically looking for mmo's or just an awesome game in general?

Loadout is an awesome free game which you can download on steam to pass the time, If that doesn't interest you, here's a link with a detailed list of games which you can look at. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm

play single player games

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    play single player games
    This.
    When I'm not studying I'm playing Zelda: A Link to the Past on Wii U virtual console (never did get past turtle rock on previous playthroughs). Recently beat Breath of Fire 1 on the SNES. After this semester I'll probably pick up Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze, and finish Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon on 3DS.

There are other things in life than MMOs, you know. It sounds to me like you're just sick of your MMO/video game-centered life.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    There are other things in life than MMOs, you know. It sounds to me like you're just sick of your MMO/video game-centered life.
    Singleplayer games are really fun because of the immersion, the huge amounts of lore and detailed world, and all the ways you can mod the game. They are lonely however, because you don't have any friends to come with you, so everyone in the game is a computer script.

MMOs are really fun because of the massive battles, regular content updates, the RP, and being able to play with friends. They feel small, however, when there are thousands of other people running around, they aren't very immersive, and they can't be modded.

Perhaps an in-between? But I can't find that in-between.

Baldur's Gate, was fun, especially with my RP buddies. Very immersive, and we played with mods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    Singleplayer games are really fun because of the immersion, the huge amounts of lore and detailed world, and all the ways you can mod the game. They are lonely however, because you don't have any friends to come with you, so everyone in the game is a computer script.

MMOs are really fun because of the massive battles, regular content updates, the RP, and being able to play with friends. They feel small, however, when there are thousands of other people running around, they aren't very immersive, and they can't be modded.
    MMO games sound fun in theory, but on practice I've never seen that much interaction between players and that much interesting gameplay. I've tried many MMOs: after Ultima Online back in 2000 I haven't touched MMOs for 13 years, then tried: WoW, SWTOR, GW2, Neverwinter, Rift, Tera, Aion - all of these games terribly disappointed me by lack of players interaction, other than in instances that are not exactly what "Massively Multiplayer Online" should be about. Guid Wars 2 was the best of these all, there I really felt like exploring new zones, liked lore, immersing music, talent system, different weapons giving you different skills, world events, quest system, etc... But, something is missing. I do not know why, but the game still feels very repetitive after a while. I guess, story is what makes me ignore monotony in single player RPGs and enjoy the process - but, story is lacking in MMOs, except for SWTOR, but SWTOR is godawfully terrible gameplay-wise (combat system is an abomination) and ultra-boring quest-wise ("kill 20 bad guys" and "bring 15 banta poos" - in story-based game?).

I guess, MMOs are for people who can stand monotony and repetitiveness, who are not disgusted by the word "grind" and ready to spend countless time working on some virtual achievement, etc. I simply cannot play games some idea that keeps me immersed, and that's the reason that I, pretty much, have real fun in RPGs playing only Bioware games.

So, for those guys who feels like bored with MMOs, maybe you have the same problem as me? Try playing different Bioware single-player games, among the recent - Dragon Age: Origins (not DA2) and Mass Effect series. Try maybe playing what resembles "single-player MMOs" the most: Fallout: NV, Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, GTA V...
    Last edited by May90; 2014-03-14 at 08:24 AM.

After playing a lot of tabletop games recently and having already been hooked on bloodbowl and other turn based strategy games like x com (and the expansion). i am looking for a Necromunda (Warhammer 40k spin off) style game for the pc, allowing me to control a team / gang or unit.

Having them gain experience, level up and gain random skills / injuries (like in Bloodbowl) as the campaign goes on but with the game play of the last x-com games.

Anyone know of anything like this out now?

Thanks

Exo

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm putting this out into the universe in the hopes it gets picked up.

"I'm hoping an dreaming and praying for a 'Final Fantasy Tactics' style game"
    -I'm not a game designer, coder, or anything of the sort to even consider designing my own game
    -Preferably something 'fantasy' oriented (Swords and magic etc) but a sci-fi one with decent story would work too. Like Fallout Tactics (Man did I LOVE that game)
    -Nothing "happy". By that I mean deeper story like FF-Tactics had with betrayals and accusations of heresy etc. I felt Tactics Advanced was childish.
    -Extensive class/job system
    -more hidden side stories and optional content than FFT could have offered at the time
    -Multiplayer optional, it didnt work very well in Fallout Tactics but multiplayer tech has come a long way since then

Note: Yes I know I made a similar thread about a Warcraft themed tactics game. This is just me voicing my dream once again

If there are any game designers here looking for new project ideas, I'd play the $!%@ out of this if you picked up this idea.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    MMO games sound fun in theory, but on practice I've never seen that much interaction between players and that much interesting gameplay. I've tried many MMOs: after Ultima Online back in 2000 I haven't touched MMOs for 13 years, then tried: WoW, SWTOR, GW2, Neverwinter, Rift, Tera, Aion - all of these games terribly disappointed me by lack of players interaction, other than in instances that are not exactly what "Massively Multiplayer Online" should be about. Guid Wars 2 was the best of these all, there I really felt like exploring new zones, liked lore, immersing music, talent system, different weapons giving you different skills, world events, quest system, etc... But, something is missing. I do not know why, but the game still feels very repetitive after a while. I guess, story is what makes me ignore monotony in single player RPGs and enjoy the process - but, story is lacking in MMOs, except for SWTOR, but SWTOR is godawfully terrible gameplay-wise (combat system is an abomination) and ultra-boring quest-wise ("kill 20 bad guys" and "bring 15 banta poos" - in story-based game?).

I guess, MMOs are for people who can stand monotony and repetitiveness, who are not disgusted by the word "grind" and ready to spend countless time working on some virtual achievement, etc. I simply cannot play games some idea that keeps me immersed, and that's the reason that I, pretty much, have real fun in RPGs playing only Bioware games.

So, for those guys who feels like bored with MMOs, maybe you have the same problem as me? Try playing different Bioware single-player games, among the recent - Dragon Age: Origins (not DA2) and Mass Effect series. Try maybe playing what resembles "single-player MMOs" the most: Fallout: NV, Skyrim, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, GTA V...
    No, the interaction in MMOs like WoW isn't in the raids or PvP, but the guilds and RP. Also, I'm not sure why you think WoW is repettitive, because it very well isn't, and has some quite unique quests at MoP level. It's just that they aren't as deep as singleplayer games.

And yes, I've played all of those SP games; all of the Elder Scrolls games since Daggerfall, KoA:R, Fallout, etc. I just wanna a really immersive, deep game that can be modded and played with friends.

Quote Originally Posted by cbeefman View Post
    I'm putting this out into the universe in the hopes it gets picked up.

"I'm hoping an dreaming and praying for a 'Final Fantasy Tactics' style game"
    -I'm not a game designer, coder, or anything of the sort to even consider designing my own game
    -Preferably something 'fantasy' oriented (Swords and magic etc) but a sci-fi one with decent story would work too. Like Fallout Tactics (Man did I LOVE that game)
    -Nothing "happy". By that I mean deeper story like FF-Tactics had with betrayals and accusations of heresy etc. I felt Tactics Advanced was childish.
    -Extensive class/job system
    -more hidden side stories and optional content than FFT could have offered at the time
    -Multiplayer optional, it didnt work very well in Fallout Tactics but multiplayer tech has come a long way since then

Note: Yes I know I made a similar thread about a Warcraft themed tactics game. This is just me voicing my dream once again

If there are any game designers here looking for new project ideas, I'd play the $!%@ out of this if you picked up this idea.
    Have you played the new x-com games yet? They're a little like that.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

I have to have an operation in a couple of weeks. It's not life-threatening, but the recovery time is potentially long and painful. So I'm going to be stuck in bed, hopped up on painkillers, and unable to lift anything or bend over.

Luckily I will be appropriating the family ipad for the duration of my convalescence.

Games I've played recently that I like - Xcom, Skyrim/elder scrolls online, Banished, WoW, Civ

So, what should I load up this ipad with? I figure that I need something not too mentally challenging for the early days, something that I can play in short bursts and then go to sleep without dying from being afk. It would also be nice to have a game that's fairly immersive and deep, for that time where I can stay awake for a while but still can't move around much.

Crusader Kings 2! Heh.

But seriously, it's not for everybody, but if you have lots of time, it can take lots of time. Read some of the reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/CrusaderKings/

The game is really a narrative engine. You get to have all sorts of fun offing rivals, conquering nations, sleeping with your brother's wife... er, scratch that one.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are there any good games similar to Bioshock? In terms of story development, and gameplay. I enjoyed it much more than I thought I would (I don't normally play FPS, though I do like the occasional CS/L4D game) and would like to find out if there are any similar games. It does not have to be a typical shoot-em-up, if it's like one of those part stealth games, but with an interesting story, I'd like to hear about it too!

15+ Year Old Account

Need a game, tired of MMO"s

Hey guys. Just tired of MMO's atm. For the past, I dont' know, 3 years or so I've been playing MMO's about 6 months at a time, bouncing between WoW, SWTOR, and EQ2. I tried others, TSW, GW2, DCUO, etc and they never stuck, so I had always stuck to WoW and EQ2, then SWTOR when it came out. When I got tired of one, I just moved onto the next and have fun for a few months.

This recent return to WoW about a month ago and can't get into it, disappoints me, but after a month I went back to SWTOR, which is next in my rotation last week, can't get into it. So my tried and true trio is not helping, I"m just thinking I'm burnt out on MMO's for now, need a complete break from them. That's what I'm thinking anyways.

So anyone else in this boat? What games are you playing when not MMO'ing? or what games did you go to play when got tired of MMO's for a time?

Inb4 go out side, play with my kids, etc. I live a pretty active life, I'm in school, working and have a family. I only really play games after 8pm when the kids are asleep.

Thanks.
    my SWTOR referal link:
    http://www.swtor.com/r/CVCyHD

That is a really vague and broad request. We will need some preferences from you in order to recommend a game to play.

Hearthstone is fun and free.

DayZ is a nice game and some interesting experiences can occur in it. It is more fun with friends.

Diablo 3's expansion is about to release, so if you thought you may like that type of game, it is a good time to jump into it. Plus, if you purchased it this month, you would be able to pick up pre-order bonuses/items.

Faster than Light is very inexpensive and is a pretty neat RPG; this one has you managing a spaceship and its crew. It is difficult to beat but is very enjoyable.

Another inexpensive one is Papers, Please. This one is a very original game that is more of a political satire. I have shown it to many friends and family who don't usually enjoy games and they all find it pretty entertaining.

Hope these ideas help you out a bit. Have fun.

Deleted
    You've given no information to go on. What are your preferences? What exactly are you looking for? What is your financial situation like? How much time do you have? Are you hardcore or casual? Are you capable of accepting that you're bad when it comes to some games (Starcraft 2 for example)? What popular games have you played already in a particular genre you might be looking for?