10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by amalager View Post
    Um, yes I've seen that but my list is based on my preferences.
    oh, my bad.

reading is hard, don't judge me! ._.

Short version: looking for a new MMO.

Long version: About 3 years ago life got complicated and I didn't have time for gaming anymore. However I now have some time for this hobby we all enjoy. The problem is that a lot changes in 3 years and while I could research the rather large pool of recent games and make my decision based on those findings, playing a game is more fun that research. So I bow to your experience and am asking for suggestions.

MMO's I've played:
    • Star Wars Galaxies - Yea I know its old but it holds the special place of being my first MMO
      Impressions: It being my first venture into the world of MMO's I didn't really know what was good or bad but I did enjoy the open world and I have yet to see a better crafting system or player driven economy. During my time playing SWG I played as a doctor(read "healer/buff master"). My issue with the game was that it lacked endgame group content. Now I recall that the game did eventually get some endgame group content but that was after I had stopped playing.
    • World of Warcraft
      Impressions: The part of wow I enjoyed most was the endgame raiding. Putting a group of people together from all over and implementing a strategy is great fun. I never did much pvp. Usually only when someone else in my guild queued for a battleground and wanted a pocket healer which was nice but not really my thing. Most of my time in wow was spent healing or tanking... well just about everything. In fact in nearly every game I have every played that has the "tank, healer, dps" paradigm I end up playing a healer. I liked being in a position where a single mis-click or mistake on my part could result in the failure of the entire group. I found that in healing and to a lesser degree tanking. I guess you could say that I have a type. I have considered going back to wow and I still may but, after being away for so long I want to take a bit of time to look around and explore other options.
    • League of Legends
      Yea I know its not an MMO exactly, but in the last year or so I have only been able to spare 30-40 minutes and only sporadically so it worked. While I do enjoy the competitive nature of the game, but I have always been more of a pve than pvp person. Also I want more of a community in a game. By community I mean that when I login I see the same people. Now I know that this does exist in LOL to some extent but to me it seems to be missing something that I'm not quite sure how to define...

What I'm looking for in a MMO:
    • Group Content
      This is possibly my favorite part of gaming. I enjoy playing as part of a group working together towards a common goal and usually the larger the group the better.
    • Endgame Content
      Once my newly minted character hits what passes for "level cap" I want there to be a good amount of group content to participate in.
    • Both gear and skill progression
      This is from my experience with League of Legends where you start every game at the beginning. I know that there are those that consider this a good thing but I like to be able to have my character be stronger today that he was yesterday. I guess you could say that I want to be able to improve both my character and myself as a player.
    • Not a first person shooter
      Just not my cup of tea.
    • Relatively new
      Something that has come out in the last 2-3 years. This is not a hard and fast rule. Its more an attempt to avoid stepping into a game where everyone has been playing it so long that it would require an exorbitant amount of time for a new player to "catch up" and be relevant.
    • Prefer Sword & Sorcery over SyFi setting
      Like the above not a hard and fast rule. Its just over that years I have found that I tend to enjoy Sword & Sorcery settings more.

Side notes: The system requirements of the game don't matter. You may assume that I have a computer and internet connection that can handle it.

So finally what I would like you is a few ideas on games I might try and the reason(s) for your suggestions. Some may think that this is a bit much just to decide which game to play, and they may be right. However when I do something I tend to do it all the way and the last time I made this decision I ended up playing WOW for 4 years. Anyways thanks in advance for the help and for sticking around despite the length of this post and if you have any questions please ask.

Happy gaming.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukh View Post
    Have you played the new x-com games yet? They're a little like that.
    DUUUUDE!
    I took your suggestion and got a copy of X-Com: Enemy Within
    This is exactly what I needed right now
    Feels very in depth and involved, even though i've only played through like 4 missions including tutorial stuff
    I lost a soldier early and I still felt like shit cause it was my fault, lots of research and customization options

I tried sending you a private message to thank you but the option isnt there

Is anyone playing Divinity: Original Sin? I saw it on Steam and it looks like a really interesting game, reminds me of the isometric rpgs like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale. But it's in beta right now. You can buy into the beta but I'm always wary of that sort of thing. Still I'm really tempted to get it. I'd just like to see if anyone here has it and what their opinion is on it.

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a good Visual Novel. After completing Katawa Shoujo, I can't seem to find one that lives up to the ridiculous standards I have for them now. I don't care / look for nudity / sex / whatever, what I am looking for is good writing / characters / plot. Bonus points if they're free.

I've recently finished Magical Diary, Love Live the Queen, and Analogue: A Hate Story, and wouldn't give any of the three higher than a 7/10...

Here is my updated list. I've added PC games as well at the bottom.

MMORPGs to be released this 2014:

1. The Elder Scroll Online--release date is April 4, 2014
    2. Black Desert--release date says 2014
    3. Blade & Soul--release date says 2014
    4. Bless--release date says 2014
    5. The Crew--release date says 2014
    6. Ever Quest Next--release date says 2014
    7. Game of Thrones: Seven Kingdoms--release date says 2014
    8. Lineage Eternal--release date says 2014
    9. Monster Hunter Online--release date says 2014
    10. Phantasy Star Online 2--release date says 2014
    11. World of Warships--release date says 2014
    12. Eclipse War Online--release date says 2014
    13. Kingdom under Fire--release date says April 2014

Other MMORPG games that is still under development but looks good:

1. Revelation
    2. Wolfknights
    3. Tree of Savior

Released MMORPGs that's awesome as well:

1. Final Fantasy IV ARR
    2. Tera Online
    3. Soul Worker
    4. War of Genesis
    5. Rusty Hearts
    6. Aion

MOBA Games:

1. Core Masters
    2. Heroes of the Storm

Shooters:

1. Ghost Recon Phantoms
    2. GunZ 2: The Second Duel
    3. Destiny

Flight Simulator:

1. War Thunder

----PC Games-----

April 2014 Releases

1st April:

Batman Arkham Origins Blackgate (PC, PSN, XBLA, Wii U)
    Goat Simulator (PC)
    Mercenary Kings (PS4)
    MLB 14 The Show (PS3/PSV)

3rd April:

Don Bradman Cricket 14 (PS3/ 360)

4th April:

The Elder Scrolls Online (PC)

8th April:

Daylight (PC/PS4)
    Kinect Sports Rivals (XBO)
    Titanfall (360)

10th April:

Trials Frontier (iOS)

11th April:

Disney Magical World (3DS)

14th April:

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (PS4)

15th April:

2014 Fifa World Cup (360/PS3)
    Conception II: Children of the Seven Stars (PSV/3DS)
    Moebius: Empire Rising (PC/MAC)
    War of the Vikings (PC)

16th April:

Trials Fusion (XBLA, XBO, PS4)

18th April:

Tropico 5 (PC, Mac, 360)

22nd April:

Demon Gaze (PSV)

24th April:

Trials Fusion (PC)

25th April:

Dark Souls 2 (PC)
    NES Remix 2 (Wii U)

29th April:

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle (PS3)
    The Amazing Spiderman 2 (PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, 360, XBO, 3DS, Android, IOS)

30th April:

Child Of Light (PC, PS3, PS4, Wii U, 360, XBO)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    I'm looking for a good Visual Novel.
    there's a sad lack of good visual novels pretty much everywhere except in japan. a small number gets translated, sometimes by fans, but the great majority doesn't :/

Dysfunctional Systems looks interesting and is available on steam. the same developer also made Juniper's Knot, which is "short and free". i haven't tried either of these myself, though, so can't say if they actually are any good.

one that i've personally loved is Saya no Uta ("Song of Saya") but others hated it, and i can understand why, so take that as you will. it's definitely not a nice highschool romance story like Katawa Shoujo and many others and got quite a bit of disturbing content. plus, it's even less 'game' and more 'book with pictures on a screen' than most visuals novels already are.
    at the very least, it can certainly be described as "unique", though :D

vndb.org might otherwise be a good place to search for more. most of the ones listed are japanese exclusive, but every now and then you can also find fanmade language patches there, and it allows for searching with specific tags (like "male protagonist", "no sex scenes", "fantasy setting", etc).

not visuals novels but still greats games with a focus on story and characters, with relatively little player interaction but meaningful choices would also be The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us.

So, I'm looking for a new RPG, with great story with meaningful choices. It can't be more than 4-5 years old. The most important thing for me, other than the story, is character customization (everything about it - the looks, stats, class etc). Also the graphics need to be nice, I don't want Baldur's Gate level of graphics game. No other requirements (I played Mass Effects, Bioshocks, Dragon Age and Witchers, so don't give me those).
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    If you're willing to scratch a few more years on your graphics requirement, you could enjoy any or all of the following good/great RPGs: Jade Empire, KotOR 1 and 2 (make sure you get the restoration mod for 2), Neverwinter Nights 2 (the Mask of the Betrayer expansion is cool, didn't enjoy the others), Deus Ex 1 and Human Revolution (just don't play 2, not worth it unless you're a gigantic fan and want the extra bits of story).

I don't think any of them really offer that much customization in terms of looks, but enough of it otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlick View Post
    So, I'm looking for a new RPG, with great story with meaningful choices. It can't be more than 4-5 years old. The most important thing for me, other than the story, is character customization (everything about it - the looks, stats, class etc). Also the graphics need to be nice, I don't want Baldur's Gate level of graphics game. No other requirements (I played Mass Effects, Bioshocks, Dragon Age and Witchers, so don't give me those).
    Neverwinter Nights 2 is, I think, 8 years old, but it still looks relatively well and offers the best character customization I've ever seen (30+ classes, I think, with ability to level hybrids, such as 9 levels as Fighter + 10 levels as Arcane Archer + 11 levels as Wizard). The original game is good - not exactly the best story ever, but interesting characters and a lot of choices. Mask of the Betrayer expansion is, well, the best game I've ever played, with just AWESOME story and STUNNING ending (imagine Planescape: Torment, but even better - that'll be it).
    The game is pretty much like "old Dragon Age". If you've played Dragon Age, you will quickly get into this game (assuming you take some time to learn D&D system a bit, of course). And its character customization, as well as MotB's story, is beyond anything Dragon Age, Mass Effect or Witcher have to offer.

By the way, Neverwinter Nights 2 has a lot of player-made modules, some of which are rumored to be on the level (or above) of Mask of the Betrayer. I personally haven't played any custom modules, but people say they are what the game is about, so you might as well try them - maybe you really find some epic story among top modules rivaling Baldur's Gate's one?

I also second KotoR 1/2 - the games are quite old, with clunky character models and combat system, but the story never gets old; besides, it is Star Wars, worth playing just for that (don't mistake with SWTOR, these games are really, REALLY good).

Kingdoms of Amalur is an interesting game. It is a bit too easy and grindy, but the lore, IMO, is amazing, the story is interesting (no meaningful choices, I'm afraid, but still interesting), the gameplay is stunning (basically, the best combat system I've ever seen in an RPG, along with the best crafting system, one of the best skill systems, awesome graphics and music, interesting and memorable characters).

I assume you haven't played Dragon Age 2? Well, the game is quite clunky, true, but I personally liked the story, and companion characters, IMO, are among Bioware's best.

Other than that... I don't know. Obsidian/Bioware is, pretty much, the only modern developer delivering consistently high quality story-based games (I disliked Witcher a lot). So, unless you play their older titles or wait for Dragon Age 3 to come out, I think you are out of luck.

Thanks for the tips, I played everything but Human Revolution and Kingdoms of Amalur, will have to look into them and pick one. And yeah, Bioware RPGs are the best.

Deleted
    Why not both? :P

But if you're gonna pick, you're much more likely to enjoy HR, statistically; KoA has received mixed reviews (I personally liked it).

Well, I may pick both eventually, but I always focus on one game at a time, so there's no point buying both at the same time.

Hey gang

Looking for a game (doesn't have to be an MMO) that is similar to arena's in WoW.

I've tried them with a couple friends & we've done some BG's. We haven't really gotten into pvp in quite awhile, in fact I haven't pvped since TBC on a serious level.

We think we're entering the pvp scene in this season a little to late unfortunately and its really showing. We're not looking for a guide to PvP so please don't offer it.

I've looked over a list of games and googled this subject I'm here to see if I'm missing any.

The games I've found so far that have a similar feel

- Bloodline Champions
    - Guild Wars 2
    - Forge

10+ Year Old Account
    - Posted in the wrong thread again ;-; sorry -
    Last edited by Auxis; 2014-04-13 at 05:22 PM.
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

Looking for a fps/tps game similar to far cry 3, dishonored, or tomb raider 2013, all of which I really enjoyed. (PC game) Something with a decent-good story and really fun gameplay, story driven but not too linear. Preferably something a little longer than Spec Ops, which took me about 5 hours. Not looking for something like GTA, which doesn't have much of a plot.

Im looking for a decent/good 3rd person fighting game for pc. I already tried Yaiba: ninja gaiden Z, but the camera made me ragequit after like 15 minutes of playing.

The game doesent have to be a ninja game, allthough i do like ninjas.

Deleted
    @ Sibut: Human Revolution?

@ Ergar: Ever played a game from really long ago called Oni? What about the Darksiders series?

Quote Originally Posted by Deylana View Post
    @ Ergar: Ever played a game from really long ago called Oni? What about the Darksiders series?
    Im preferably looking for something a bit more recent than Oni. I've also played both Darksiders games many times.

Looking for a fantasy MMO where I can play a necromancer without the homogenizing limit of one minion at a time that most MMORPGs are fans of while also maintaining the true essence of the classic necromancer(not GW/2 style).