Looking for a new MMO Like Vanilla/TBC WoW

Hello MMO-champion community,

I just now came upon some spare time after playing through Vanilla and TBC WoW. Tried Cataclysm after some time and it just wasn't the same (although it was good at the expansion's start) so I quit again shortly after.

So now I'm looking for a MMO that is basically Vanilla or TBC WoW. By that I mean:

- Gear is hard to get (I enjoy having a carrot dangled in front of me and working for my gear).
    - Preferably has raids or group events.
    - Hopefully no LFD/LFR tool, that ruined WoW for me.
    - Active World PvP, loved that dynamic part of early WoW.
    - Active community.
    - Not outdated hopefully.

EDIT: Tried Aion, was decent although I hated all the RNG and the fact that you had to buy pots/scrolls to be competitive. Tried SWTOR as well, didn't like the graphics style and the gameplay, never got to endgame. Also GW2, but quit shortly after realising that there's nothing to do at endgame.

Thank you for your responses. Please don't flame me :<

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    Haven't played that game, was looking at a few games and i was thinking about checking that one out. Was looking around on the net and came across The Mass Effect Series (Most likely going to try ME2 due to hearing a lot of positive stuff about it). Kingdoms of amalur age of reckoning looked pretty decent with the combat system. Will definitely look at The Witcher 2 though.
    If you're planning on playing Mass Effect 2 then I suggest either 1 of two things.

Either - Play the first game

or - Buy Mass Effect Genesis.

Genesis is an interactive comic-styled cutscene piece of DLC for Mass Effect 2 that played at the beginning of the game to serve as an introduction for those who haven't played ME1. It allows you to make the bigger, game-defining choices that you would've made by playing 1 that are seriously integral to ME2.

Deleted
    My girlfriend and I are looking for a game to play co-operatively with each other, on either PC (preferable) or Playstation 3. We have our own computers.

She says she would like a game that's like 'Civilization' (I've personally never heard of it) but she isn't really bothered if it's fun.
    I want a game that is a Role-Playing Game, sort of like Baldur's Gate 2, Diablo 3 (not another Diablo Game, hate it) - or perhaps a co-operative shooting adventure game could also be fun.

Thanks in advance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Craakar View Post
    My girlfriend and I are looking for a game to play co-operatively with each other, on either PC (preferable) or Playstation 3. We have our own computers.

She says she would like a game that's like 'Civilization' (I've personally never heard of it) but she isn't really bothered if it's fun.
    I want a game that is a Role-Playing Game, sort of like Baldur's Gate 2, Diablo 3 (not another Diablo Game, hate it) - or perhaps a co-operative shooting adventure game could also be fun.

Thanks in advance
    Torchlight 2 is about. It's a co-op Diablo-esque action RPG. Lots of cool classes (Steampunky engineers, gunslingers for example), a great cartoony art style and an engaging story. It's a bit light hearted, but it works well.

Borderlands (And it's sequal) are also options. They're shooters with an MMORPG style method of chracter progression (You pick a class, talents, loot gear etc). It's completely Co-Op and some good fun with another player!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post
    Torchlight 2 is about. It's a co-op Diablo-esque action RPG. Lots of cool classes (Steampunky engineers, gunslingers for example), a great cartoony art style and an engaging story. It's a bit light hearted, but it works well.

Borderlands (And it's sequal) are also options. They're shooters with an MMORPG style method of chracter progression (You pick a class, talents, loot gear etc). It's completely Co-Op and some good fun with another player!
    Will definitely check the first one out, thanks - we have Borderlands, but we couldn't really get into it, especially since there was no real PENALTY for dying in it.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been doing some hardcore researching on some RPG's and i'm kind of stuck for what i want. You can check on the previous page on my "Looking for an RPG post"
    It was the one for singleplayer RPG's. I need something different than WoW and i need to adapt to a new combat system. Will be pretty hard but i really have no choice.
    TWO games have come to mind,
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    and
    The Witcher 2
    I am stuck between choosing 1 out of the 2. I've read both are really good games. Both have a nice combat system with Amalur having the better one. Read that the Witcher has a combat system that takes quite the time to get used to. Also read you can't jump in the game, kind of a bummer xD
    I can get used to new elements, Skyrim was pretty fluid with the combat system. I actually enjoyed it. BUTTTTT, i am stuck on choosing a game. IF you can't recommend either one or have something better in mind for me, feel free to suggest it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo5566 View Post
    I've been doing some hardcore researching on some RPG's and i'm kind of stuck for what i want. You can check on the previous page on my "Looking for an RPG post"
    It was the one for singleplayer RPG's. I need something different than WoW and i need to adapt to a new combat system. Will be pretty hard but i really have no choice.
    TWO games have come to mind,
    Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
    and
    The Witcher 2
    I am stuck between choosing 1 out of the 2. I've read both are really good games. Both have a nice combat system with Amalur having the better one. Read that the Witcher has a combat system that takes quite the time to get used to. Also read you can't jump in the game, kind of a bummer xD
    I can get used to new elements, Skyrim was pretty fluid with the combat system. I actually enjoyed it. BUTTTTT, i am stuck on choosing a game. IF you can't recommend either one or have something better in mind for me, feel free to suggest it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    try Fallout New Vegas

10+ Year Old Account
    Played Fallout before, never enjoyed it. thanks for the suggestion though.

10+ Year Old Account

Xbox PVR And Game recommendations?

Hi Guys,
    So I'm considering to start recording xbox 360 game footage to upload to YouTube and I'm trying to find a reasonably cheap PVR game capturer around £20 not sure if I could do that for the price though so any recommendations really for me to check EBay or amazon for.
    Secondly I'm looking to buy a game that's FPS or free rome adventure kind of thing (FPS not any cod but for the free Rome adventure to be similar to farcry 3) around the price of £10-20
    Any suggestions would be helpful!
    Cheers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WoW6000 View Post
    Hi Guys,
    So I'm considering to start recording xbox 360 game footage to upload to YouTube and I'm trying to find a reasonably cheap PVR game capturer around £20 not sure if I could do that for the price though so any recommendations really for me to check EBay or amazon for.
    Secondly I'm looking to buy a game that's FPS or free rome adventure kind of thing (FPS not any cod but for the free Rome adventure to be similar to farcry 3) around the price of £10-20
    Any suggestions would be helpful!
    Cheers
    I would suggest Fallout New Vegas. Has many RPG elements though but is open world. Much to explore and not a call of duty clone.

I'm looking for any game, MMO or not, that has in-depth class specializations. I don't enjoy Luna Online, but I loved the class mechanics. I love the idea that a friend and I could choose different paths, maybe ending up both becoming a Lord, but having different skills based on the paths we took.

For an example, here's Luna Online's Wikia link for classes: here

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikusu View Post
    I'm looking for any game, MMO or not, that has in-depth class specializations. I don't enjoy Luna Online, but I loved the class mechanics. I love the idea that a friend and I could choose different paths, maybe ending up both becoming a Lord, but having different skills based on the paths we took.

For an example, here's Luna Online's Wikia link for classes: here

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
    Kingdoms of Amalur has something pretty similar with the Destiny System. Every time you level you get talent points, however you decide to spend those talent points will unlock destinies that grant you bonuses. You can be a Axe wielding Spell Warrior, a Greatsword Rogue, Mage Tank that uses Daggers or Faeblades, whatever you want, every weapon is available to everyone as long as you meet the requirements (# of talent points in a particular tree- MIGHT/FINESSE/SORCERY). It's a very long game as well, it's single player, has awesome loot (lots of awesome weapon and armor designs) and has awesome combat and exploration. You may want to choose a harder difficulty as you do become pretty absurdly powerful later on, which you may or may not like, as you'll mow through everything at easier difficulties. It's not really that big of a deal for me tho. I have 160 hours logged and I still have an entire DLC to finish, 50+ side quests and the final level to do still, and I you'll have plenty to do.

I'm prettymuch an RPG player exclusively and I enjoyed KoA about as much as anything else I ever played.
    Last edited by Varyk; 2013-05-13 at 09:29 AM.

Deleted
    So, after reading several pages with great interest, I found myself signing up and posting in this thread.

I'm looking for new games to play and try out, but after searching on the web extensively before it feels like I've seen it all. I got a powerful system, and can run anything maxed out with little to no problem, so don't worry about that. (Skyrim, Crysis, GTA IV and so on.) That said, it doesn't have to be a graphically amazing game. I would prefer an Multiplayer game, be it an MMO or other as Singleplayer games tend to bore me quickly. (I blame WoW for that.)

Currently playing:
    - Pirate101
    - TF2
    - Natural Selection II (rarely)
    - GTA IV
    - Die2Nite (Browser zombie game, good fun.)
    - FTL: Faster then Light (Occasionally, never too long. ~10 minutes or so per session.)

Things I've played: (In no real order, spoilered for length.)

- WoW, quit before Mists of Pandoria. (Wasn't my thing any more with the Pandas)
    - L.A. Noire (Was okay, never completed.)
    - Chivalry Medieval Warfare (Lacking serious updates, both balancing and game fixing. Can't be bothered with it any more.)
    - LoL (Can't stand community in PvP, play occasionally against bots with friends.)
    - L4D & L4D2 (Friends got bored of it, unfriendly community caused loss of interest.)
    - PayDay: The Heist (Great concept, poor execution. Decent game overall)
    - The Walking Dead (Great game, really loved it but completed it. Can't wait for more episodes.)
    - Skyrim (Really boring, sad that I bought it.)
    - Oblivion (Took ages to finish, decent game.)
    - Morrowind (Never got into it, graphically painful.)
    - Total War Shogun 2 (Decent game.)
    - Dishonored (Awesome game, but I rarely do multiple playthroughs. Completed it on hardest difficulty.)
    - Saints Row the Third (Completed it, good fun.)
    - Ragnarok Online 2 (Dull, boring.)
    - BF3 (Strong dislike. BF2142 was much better.)
    - Civilization V (Decent game.)
    - XCOM: Enemy Unknown (Feels extremely rigged to the point of Alt-F4ing out of the game.)
    - Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale (Fun!)
    - Game Dev Tycoon (Decent, not the best.)
    - Mass Effect (Never completed, did enjoy it.)
    - Mass Effect 2 (Completed, loved it.)
    - Mount & Blade: Warband (Not my kind of game, I don't get it and didn't enjoy it.)
    - Portal & Portal 2 (T'is okay, I end up getting bored. Not much of a puzzler.)
    - Plants vs Zombies (Good fun, completed it.)
    - Kingdom Rush (Good fun, completed it.)
    - Rage (Strong dislike, bad purchase.)
    - Risen (Strong dislike, bad purchase.)
    - Spore (Always enjoyed it, becomes repetitive unfortunately.)
    - Stronghold 1 & 2 &3 (Not much of an opinion, never played extensively.)
    - Terraria (Bloody boring, strong dislike.)
    - Minecraft (Got bored, did enjoy it. Had my own server for a while.)
    - Towns (Ugh. Bad purchase.)
    - King's Bounty Series (Was alright, never completed)
    - EVE Online (Seriously hurts my head, too much of a learning curve.)

And probably a whole lot more I forget. I'm looking for new things, and have a very broad genre interest. It can be P2P, it can be free, it can be box purchase, that all doesn't worry me that much. So, go nuts people. Hoping to read some games which I never knew existed.

Unhappy Request a game/Suggest a Game!

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrytiger View Post
    Hi. I was looking for a game to play now or in the near future. I mostly have just played WoW the last 6 or so years. I really like it but need something new. I play LoL and Diablo 3. I liked them but I like social games where there is opportunities to meet people in game. I started playing WoW with friends which was fun but then I met people through the game and it was as much fun or more. So I am just looking for a game that has some sort of social aspect where you can meet up with like minded gamers and play together. Also I was looking for a game that people think will be around for a while preferably with active player base.
    what is the hardware spec of your machine for playing game, these days you can't direct bargains on hardware to play graphics loaded games. Below are the list of few games that will run in minimum hardware specs.

Alice in wonderland
    Blood Drive
    Brave Arms
    Clash of the titans

Thanks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychyn View Post
    So, after reading several pages with great interest, I found myself signing up and posting in this thread.

I'm looking for new games to play and try out, but after searching on the web extensively before it feels like I've seen it all. I got a powerful system, and can run anything maxed out with little to no problem, so don't worry about that. (Skyrim, Crysis, GTA IV and so on.) That said, it doesn't have to be a graphically amazing game. I would prefer an Multiplayer game, be it an MMO or other as Singleplayer games tend to bore me quickly. (I blame WoW for that.)

And probably a whole lot more I forget. I'm looking for new things, and have a very broad genre interest. It can be P2P, it can be free, it can be box purchase, that all doesn't worry me that much. So, go nuts people. Hoping to read some games which I never knew existed.
    Multiplayer:
    Torchlight (like diablo only better in pretty much everyway imo)
    Smite (a moba game like lol, only plays alot differently) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHgInVl-OsY
    Hawken (a mecha shooter, kinda mixed wester/eastern mecha)
    The showdown effect (a 2D shooter, was on the steam sale recently)
    Bloodline champions (kinda reminds me of the old warlocks mod for WC3)

MMO's:
    Tera: Is a fairly new eastern mmo so if you don't like wierd asian shit, it's not the game for you. The combat is realy good though IMO

Neverwinter online: It's based on the old D 'n' D forgotten realms. The combat is fairly similar to the combat of Tera only abit faster and you don't feel the same weight behind the attacks.

The secret world: Is a post apocolyptic mmo. The combat is basically exactly like wow's. The best part of this game is the quests, in order to complete some quests you need to invastigate in different ways. Theres not just a marker on your map which tells you exactly were to go. It's kinda hard to explain so...

Singleplayer:
    Darksouls (one of the best RPG's ever created xD I have probably spent 100's of hours on this game. The lore in the game is awesome but it isn't handed to you in forms of cutscenes and events you need to kinda find it on your own. The combat is very similar to tera, you need to dodge attacks and aim/time your weapon swings etc... Oh and it's hard as nails so you know... prepare to die.)
    demonsouls (was created before darksouls and is PS3 exclusive. Many describes it as a prequel although the storys of the 2 games actually have nothing to do with eachother.)
    The witcher 1 & 2 (A great series. a must play if you enjoy medieval fantasy rpg's. The combat in the first 1 is fairly shit but it gets better in the second 1. The witcher 3 has been announced but theres not a release date set yet.)
    Dragon age: Origins and 2 (is another great fantasy rpg developed by biowere. The combat in the first 1 is very slow and fairly dull. It got more of a tactical approach in the way that you can pause the game and give order to your group, place traps etc...)
    Farcry (It's a FPS RPG, I haven't played the first 1 but the second and third was pretty good IMO)

That should keep you bussy for a while.
    Last edited by mmoca9bf05c4ed; 2013-05-15 at 01:24 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ridish View Post
    The secret world: Is a post apocolyptic mmo. The combat is basically exactly like wow's. The best part of this game is the quests, in order to complete some quests you need to invastigate in different ways. Theres not just a marker on your map which tells you exactly were to go. It's kinda hard to explain so...
    Great write ups and suggestions, however TSW's combat is nothing like WoW in case they actually are looking into this game. The only thing remotely similar is that it is a hot key MMO. With that being said, combat is vastly different as there aren't really autoattacks and you customize a much more limited action bar of abilities.

There are no classes or levels and the abilities are tied to experience gain and the weapons you specialize in. Technically you can unlock every ability for every weapon if you play enough, but you can only have a small combination of active and passive abilities at one time.

Just thought I'd clarify.
    BAD WOLF

Deleted
    Thanks for the replies, a few mentioned I already knew but I'll look back into them regardless. I've looked at Tera a few times before, maybe I just need to try it out.

Neverwinter looks like the same old if I'm honest, couldn't even get through a video with developer commentary as it bored me, since then haven't looked back at it. I have actually played Farcry and it was alright, same for Dragon Age but story-wise it became so boring about half-way through that I never completed the game. Two was horrible and I've only played it for a very short time, bad purchase for me. ^^

Once again, appreciated. I'll take a look at them.

Looking for my next big MMORPG. I love everything about WOW just I am simply bored of the same old content/mechanics. Looks a little different but its just the same.
    Therefore I am looking to journey into another world, that is similar to WoW.

Mostly I care about the Dungeon/Party/Class system, as I enjoy PVE alot. I do not like GW2's style of things, it has to be like WOW where you have a tank, healer and DPS.

Must be popular, as I want people to play with.

Any games on the market now worth investing time into or any that I should set my eyes upon that are releasing soon?

Oh, WoW's combat system/targetting system does not need to be in this other game though, thats one feature I am happy to wave goodbye too. Action MMORPG is cool, but I dont mind

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DStrukt View Post
    Looking for my next big MMORPG. I love everything about WOW just I am simply bored of the same old content/mechanics. Looks a little different but its just the same.
    Therefore I am looking to journey into another world, that is similar to WoW.

Mostly I care about the Dungeon/Party/Class system, as I enjoy PVE alot. I do not like GW2's style of things, it has to be like WOW where you have a tank, healer and DPS.

Must be popular, as I want people to play with.

Any games on the market now worth investing time into or any that I should set my eyes upon that are releasing soon?

Oh, WoW's combat system/targetting system does not need to be in this other game though, thats one feature I am happy to wave goodbye too. Action MMORPG is cool, but I dont mind
    You sir are looking for one MMO. That MMO is Wildstar.
    BAD WOLF

Well, is Wildstar really releasing soon? It seems at least a year away.