Deleted

Question Any good LAN games?

Hey, four friends and I are going to have a LAN party, and I was wondering if anyone knows some good LAN games/mods?
    We're pretty flexible on genres, so that shouldn't be an issue.
    Some requirements though:
    Playable on MAC os
    The mod/game is free

Thanks!

Deleted

halp pls

ok so i may be searching for something that does not exist. What i'm looking for is a 1v1 VIDEO game(kinda like chess) where you have to think your every action. Kinda like chess but not really. Something with a ladder and ranking system.

Quote Originally Posted by Raspharus View Post
    ok so i may be searching for something that does not exist. What i'm looking for is a 1v1 VIDEO game(kinda like chess) where you have to think your every action. Kinda like chess but not really. Something with a ladder and ranking system.
    Stratego?

I would probably suggest getting magic the gathering 2014 off steam and playing some pvp in that.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

I didn't see this thread (sticky blindness). Here is the repost from another thread:

Can anyone please list serious/hardcore MMORPGs (I call them S-MMORPGs)

S-MMORPG = Serious Massive Multi-player Online Role Playing Game

Please list current games that still adhere to the core values of the original MMORPG genre (think EverQuest Classic). I struggle to think of any that haven't adapted or changed over the years to match WoW's Facebook, hand-holding play-style.

Deleted

Tired of WoW. Recommendations?

Not sure if you're allowed to make posts like this or not (I believe you can't make what class should I play posts so idk), but just wondering if people have any good game suggestions.

Basically I feel like my time playing WoW is very shortly going to come to an end. It's not actually because of a feature that can be changed like balance in PvP or new content. The combat system just feels sickeningly dull to me now and I just feel like it's incredibly inorganic and lacks spontaneity. I liked WoW's pvp because it's very easy and doesn't require hand eye coordination or in game spatial reasoning to be good at but rather strategic thinking. However, after a while, which is to say now, I've realised that the strategic thinking involved is very limited and as you get closer and closer to the skillcap it becomes more and more boring and reveals itself as being quite shallow to the point where you're just trying to not make mistakes and keep repeating set patterns rather than being creative or innovative with what you're doing on the spur of the moment. This is ofc just my own opinion although I've recently realised that it is shared by many others as well and I feel like I'm just wasting my time in this game now. So I'll just list the games I've tried and if anyone can list anything else that might be worth giving a shot I'd be happy to consider it.

Quake Live, Soul Calibur V, TOR, Rift, Neverwinter, GW2, Tera, Dota2, LoL, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, SC2

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by mmoc5d3fe0f7a2; 2013-08-02 at 09:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Games to start a new gamer on

I was talking to my friend recently, who is by no means a gamer. She has played two games in her life, being Little Big Planet and Death Jr. One being very good, and the other decent ( in that order) titles, but it got me thinking.

What are games to give a person who is not a gamer, to get them into video games?

To me, I think the best three starters are Mass Effect 2, Walking Dead, and Bioshock 1 (Infinite works too)

I figure the best thing to start non gamers on are intense, fuckign excellent story driven games, Walking Dead being a perfect example, especially since it shows that graphics don't really matter if you have characters like Clementine and good voice acting.

This scenario is totally hypothetical for the most part, since my friend is not gonna take the time to finish any games.

What are you guys thoughts about what games are good to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Monksrus View Post
    Quake Live, Soul Calibur V, TOR, Rift, Neverwinter, GW2, Tera, Dota2, LoL, Diablo 3, Path of Exile, SC2
    Firefall, defiance, warframe, planet side 2, dragons prophet, dragonnest, vindictus, marvel heroes... maybe?

Maybe end of nations too?
    Last edited by Bardarian; 2013-08-02 at 09:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Even if Mass effect 1 is starting to get dated in its combat, i would still recommend playing that before going into ME2, as it brings a better understanding off the storyline as well as there being a number of characters and moments that can change depending on choices made in the first one if importing a save.

Deleted
    I haven't heard great things about defiance.

Firefall I tried very briefly and I may try it again not sure yet.

I don't know anything about Warframe.

I vaguely remember hearing good things about dragons prophet and vindictus so I will investigate those further.

Thx!

10+ Year Old Account
    Kotor would probably be a good choice too. That was certainly the game that me a gamer

Deleted
    By the way, does anyone know after WoW what the most popular MMOs are?

- - - Updated - - -

I played KOTOR when it came out :P And I played Jade Empire when that came out too - good times. Getting old now.....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Carmakazie View Post
    I was talking to my friend recently, who is by no means a gamer. She has played two games in her life, being Little Big Planet and Death Jr. One being very good, and the other decent ( in that order) titles, but it got me thinking.

What are games to give a person who is not a gamer, to get them into video games?

To me, I think the best three starters are Mass Effect 2, Walking Dead, and Bioshock 1 (Infinite works too)

I figure the best thing to start non gamers on are intense, fuckign excellent story driven games, Walking Dead being a perfect example, especially since it shows that graphics don't really matter if you have characters like Clementine and good voice acting.

This scenario is totally hypothetical for the most part, since my friend is not gonna take the time to finish any games.

What are you guys thoughts about what games are good to start with?
    The best is always either Super Mario World or Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (or if there's 4 of you, Goldeneye 007)

- - - Updated - - -

But if you want really good story driven single player games that are modern then I think the Last of Us was meant to be quite good.

Hey guys, getting a 3Ds next week and looking for advice on good games to buy for the system. I will be buying Monster hunter 3 Ultimate and Fire Emblem but I do not know what else is good after that. Honestly I am interested in anything and would prefer non-Mario recommendations (as people keep recommending it and i'll more then likely get it anyway). I like Rpg's but I would prefer ones with actual good gameplay as opposed to just a good story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fiif View Post
    Hey guys, getting a 3Ds next week and looking for advice on good games to buy for the system. I will be buying Monster hunter 3 Ultimate and Fire Emblem but I do not know what else is good after that. Honestly I am interested in anything and would prefer non-Mario recommendations (as people keep recommending it and i'll more then likely get it anyway). I like Rpg's but I would prefer ones with actual good gameplay as opposed to just a good story.
    I have only heard good things about Animal Crossing. Plus, can't go wrong with HD Ocarina of Time and Starfox 64

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    Stratego?

I would probably suggest getting magic the gathering 2014 off steam and playing some pvp in that.
    well so far i am trying to choose between magic and starcraft. Which one is more pvp intense and which one is easier?

Deleted
    Just to jump in here, is there any online racing games with a good community? I played trackmania for a loong time but it is getting a little boring and want something different, I can find a lot of solo play racing games, but everytime I look online, it's totally dead.

well so far i am trying to choose between magic and starcraft. Which one is more pvp intense and which one is easier?
    I would say it depends on how you define intense and easier.

In starcraft, I find that the skill lies in micromanagement, knowing econ orders, and situational awareness.
    Whereas in magic, knowing the other players deck better than they do, anticipating which cards they have in the hand, and thinking counter to counters to counters ahead is a big thing in magic.

There's obviously a lot of cross over as they are both games but... I feel that there's really something great in magic where you end up doing some amazing, balls to the walls reversal combo that causes you to win.

Should consider some of the valuable SRPG style games console wise great storylines and all and combat as well. MMO wise most mmo's will have some sort of fighting to a point unless your doing something along the lines of the more explore type ones there's afew out you could try some of the dancing games too pretty big oversea's as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardarian View Post
    I would say it depends on how you define intense and easier.

In starcraft, I find that the skill lies in micromanagement, knowing econ orders, and situational awareness.
    Whereas in magic, knowing the other players deck better than they do, anticipating which cards they have in the hand, and thinking counter to counters to counters ahead is a big thing in magic.

There's obviously a lot of cross over as they are both games but... I feel that there's really something great in magic where you end up doing some amazing, balls to the walls reversal combo that causes you to win.
    okay so i've tried them both and here are my opinions:

Starcraft 2 very very hard. Too much for me
    MGT: the concept is great but it lacks the pvp intensity

Im still looking for a pvp game that keeps ur adrenaline high youre blood pumping(or something like that). Something like dota 2.(BUT NOT LOL)

Im still looking for a pvp game that keeps ur adrenaline high youre blood pumping(or something like that). Something like dota 2.(BUT NOT LOL)
    Smite? End of nations?

Deleted

Anyone recommend any good stealth games?

Preferably obscure stuff on Steam. Doesn't matter of the graphics as long as it's a decent sneaking experience.

Stuff I am thinking of, like Splinter Cell, Metal Gear Solid, Deus Ex, Hitman, Dishonored, Mark Of The Ninja... stuff like that.

Also, any opinions on Thief? Is it worth playing?