Maybe Camelot Unchained will end up being what you want, when it finally releases.

Help me choose a horror game

Greetings, I was curious if y'all had a recommendation of a horror game. I have never got into the genre, and I am not sure if I will even be immersed enough to get scared. But I would like to give it a shot. Survival Horror, I think I would prefer. What's y'all pick and why?

Deleted
    Amnesia and Outlast are probably the most famours ones if you judge by streams. Dont really know any other horror-games. Fear 1,2 and 3 perhaps?

Resident Evil 4. Or Resident Evil 6 Leon mode (that game is dirt cheap now).

Metro 2033
    Bioshock
    Dead Space

All of the above are quality games in no particular order, they are also fairly inexpensive.

Was gonna say Amnesia and Outlast aswell, probably me 2 favorite horror games. But the first 2 Dead Space games are amazing aswell, the first one is scarier trough.

Alan Wake is pretty Good.

F.E.A.R 1 and 2 are also excellent. 3 is still good but goes off the beaten path abit.

On top of what others have suggested, I would also say that the Penumbra games are pretty good horror games. Penumbra: Black Plague in particular I thought was very good. Also, Condemned scared the shit out of me, so I'd recommend that one too. Early Silent Hill games are good.

I'd say Amnesia is kind of overrated. There really isn't that much to it, but to each their own. Outlast is good though.

Thanks a lot folks.

i kind of gotten redirected to here and i'm still wondering. is there good f2p games out there? i'm interested in mideval games and i actually don't mind grinding for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Singing Joe View Post
    i kind of gotten redirected to here and i'm still wondering. is there good f2p games out there? i'm interested in mideval games and i actually don't mind grinding for the most part.
    Countless.

Do you like fantasy or realistic? Magic or no?
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

A.fantasy
    B.magic

A.fantasy
    B.magic
    Are you saying they are different things or that you like both in the game you are looking for?

in the games i'm looking for ya. i was answering them in order with the set of questions ya gave me.

in the games i'm looking for ya. i was answering them in order with the set of questions ya gave me.
    Rift, Aion, Lotro, Neverwinter online, Tera, Dragons prophet, path of exile, age of conan, vindictus to name a few.

ok, i'll look into those games in a bit. thanks for your time then.

10+ Year Old Account

Great horror games

I'm looking for some good horror games to play on PC that are somewhat modern (2006 to now). I'd like to avoid a game where you can't fight back (Amnesia, Outlast, etc), but I don't want something as action oriented as the more recent Resident Evil games (which I also don't find that scary). Any suggestions? I'm highly considering buying Outlast, but I want to at least have the option to fight back (maybe I'm too much of a wimp to deal with how scary it is to only be able to run and hide...).

Thanks, all.

Eh... the option to fight back removes the "Horror" part of any so called "horror" game. Making a frightening game is close to impossible. What you want is a action game with scary atmosphere.

If you can fight back, the only elements it can rely on is bad jump scares. For a game to truly be a "horror" game, it has to give you the feeling of hopelessness in an impossible situation, making you feel like everything can be your death, and that creepy feeling of some guy always standing behind you. But that feeling is kinda diminished if you can just turn around and shoot the thing.

Deleted
    I fully recommend Penumbra. You can fight back, but you don't want to, because your character isn't a good fighter.

Added a link for you: http://www.penumbragame.com/game.php
    Last edited by mmoc7be6787211; 2013-10-13 at 09:38 PM.

Deleted
    First Dead Space? If you're willing to go back to '01 or '03, I'd recommend trying to get a hold of Silent Hill 2 and 3. They're horror. Suffocating, disturbing horror.

Also agree 100% with your perspective, Zogarth. For a game to be truly horrifying, the player must never feel equal to or more powerful than the monsters that are pursuing them. They must always be the prey, never the predator. Otherwise it's just a series a jump scares and not sustained and oppressive horror.