Deleted
    I'm tied between getting the Trackmania 2 trilogy for £15 or Anon 2070 complete for £19.99.

Trying the demo of the later, played the demos of the former and found them very entertaining but I'm not sure of Trackmania's long-term value. Anyone care to enlighten me on this choice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranorack View Post
    I'm tied between getting the Trackmania 2 trilogy for £15 or Anon 2070 complete for £19.99.

Trying the demo of the later, played the demos of the former and found them very entertaining but I'm not sure of Trackmania's long-term value. Anyone care to enlighten me on this choice?
    i'm not a fan of racing games in general, so i can't give you an actual comparison (and the value is very subjective anyway) but Anno 2070 (like all Annos, really) is definitely a great game.
    strategy games in general and Anno in particular are also great for long term value, as you will easily spend several dozen or even hundreds of hours in a single game.

word of warning though, it uses it's own secondary drm (in addition to steam) that requires you to register and login, which can make reinstalling it somewhere else quite annoying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    i'm not a fan of racing games in general, so i can't give you an actual comparison (and the value is very subjective anyway) but Anno 2070 (like all Annos, really) is definitely a great game.
    strategy games in general and Anno in particular are also great for long term value, as you will easily spend several dozen or even hundreds of hours in a single game.

word of warning though, it uses it's own secondary drm (in addition to steam) that requires you to register and login, which can make reinstalling it somewhere else quite annoying.
    I see, demo was fine though very limited. I have to ask: Does it suffer from "now what?" syndrome? I played Tropico a while back but it got to a point where my city was running perfectly without any input and it generated a "now what?" moment for me leading to me just stopping altogether. Mind it -did- give me around 10-15 hours total for that save alone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranorack View Post
    I see, demo was fine though very limited. I have to ask: Does it suffer from "now what?" syndrome? I played Tropico a while back but it got to a point where my city was running perfectly without any input and it generated a "now what?" moment for me leading to me just stopping altogether. Mind it -did- give me around 10-15 hours total for that save alone.
    you will be at several points where you don't have to really do much to, like, not lose the game. that's just a matter of having positive income and properly setup supply routes to support your current status quo.
    but if you want to actually continue to grow your settlement, unlock new buildings, keep a strong military presence, etc you will virtually always have something to do, especially when you're playing against hard ai opponents that will most likely declare war on you and invade your island if you can't keep up with them. plus you get small quests every few minutes. you don't have to do them, but your ai opponents may dislike you even more for it, not to mention you lose out on some nice rewards.

a single "continous game" save can last up to over a hundred hours and there is virtually always something to do, even if you don't always have to do something. also, you can speed up time^^

Looking for a Game

I picked up fable 3 and shut it off after about 20 minutes - or 2 minutes of gameplay - due to..well quite frankly just how bad it is.(Your choice when talking to people is brought down to belch or shake their hand...seriously...what is that) However, With what I had understood of this game, it left me wanting of something that I don't recall ever seeing. Long Live the Queen was ..something close, but the choices are a little arbitrary in that game. So here's what I'm looking for:

A story where you have meaningful conversations with NPCs. What I mean by that is...Let's say you start off as a farmer - you could ultimately have everyone in the kingdom like you, and join you in a rebellion, or you might be a prince who eventually gets beheaded because the people rebel against you due to how you've been mistreating... Ya'know, meaningful choice, meaningful conversation. More based around *you* making the story, rather than just following a strictly-on-rails game like most recent games.

I don't really care what genre it's in - I've enjoyed games from every genre. Hell, if it's well done - I'd even take a VN.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to find such game myself. Never seen anything quite good...

10+ Year Old Account
    i'd suggest you try The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us by Telltale Games. both focus on good story, believable characters and lots of meaningful choices. if you don't mind the gameplay (or rather, the lack of it) you'll probably like them.

other than that, the The Witcher series and Bioware rpgs (KotOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect) all focus on dialogues and having to make decisions, most just small stuff but some that can be really hard and/or have major consequences.

that said, none of the these really have much of an open world, but strictly follow a story - even though many events of that story can and will be altered by your choices.

Shadowrun Returns is also a decent rpg with focus on similar qualities, but due to it being an indie game it has a somewhat limited scope. it's got good story, memorable characters and lots of (text based) dialogue, but your choices don't seem to make too much of a difference.

10+ Year Old Account

Any good free fps

So just wondering if anyone can sudjest a good first person shooter thats free to play. And if its multiplayer. Perferably one that has a good bit of players. Thanks
    Semper Fi

Blacklight: Retribution, its on steam and its awesome.

Maybe mount & warblade?

Its not so much as rpg'ish as walking dead & witcher & bioware games, but if you make friends & enemies with the wrong people it can make your life hell on a harder difficulty. Or you can just choose not to be friends with anyone.

Or you can mistreat your kingdom & they'll eventually leave you & maybe rebel.

Its more of a strategy/fps ish...Its a weird kind of game I can't really sort into a certain category.

Team Fortress 2 if legal

< stop suggesting pirating here >
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2013-11-14 at 04:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    TF2 and Blacklight are probably the best
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Deleted
    Planetside 2 is awesome and on steam too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    Maybe mount & warblade?
    i was actually thinking about that too, but even though you can decide between being 'good'/honorable and 'evil'/greedy, the dialogues are spartan at best (you won't really find many "meaningful conversations", if any) and characters are very one sided and have only minimal actual interaction.

what this game does very well is giving you the feeling of building up power, from leading a small band of fighting peasants to creating your own empire, with a few different approaches on how to achieve that. you can be a warmonger, a ruthless bandit, or a noble knight who leads his army to protect those who can't fight for themselves, all with the consequencial reputation.

but the actual interaction with the world, its people and its characters is on such a bare minimum and often repetitive (like saving some random village from bandits dozens of times, with exactly the same quest text and outcome every single time) that a lot of it feels bland and sterile -- to me, anyway.

i still think it's a great game with a very unique playing experience. i suppose that's probably enough to give it a try and see for yourself (also, there's a demo on steam!) but i doubt it's really what Yoshimiko is looking for with "meaningful choice, meaningful conversation". but hey, i could be completely wrong :D

oh and, on a sidenote, for anyone who does give it a try: modz! \o/

Team Fortress 2 has pretty well gone to crap since it went free to play, though. 90% of the playerbase is cancer these days, and the item (im)balance is focused on retaining the lowest skilled/lazy players to the detriment of gameplay.

You have such wonderfully balanced setups such as:
    -- Melee demoman gets a shield with basically 50% resists to explosive and fire damage, immune to burning, can sprint quickly either away from a fight or right into your face and 100% crit one-shot you with melee ... or pull out their grenade launcher for a pointblank one-shot grenade.
    -- Engineer has a laser gun with a projectile hitbox about 4x wide that 1shots most classes if it randomly crits. It's also spammable and has unlimited ammo.
    -- Engineer also has a shotgun that rewards them with free crits upon getting their sentry gun destroyed. So they can just one-shot you with that if you manage to destroy the gun.
    -- Sniper has a rifle called the Machina that rewards you with extra damage for hiding behind a wall and charging it up fully. Allows you to one-shot most classes with a bodyshot, whereas the regular rifle requires a headshot. Basically no downside for a huge upside.
    -- Took them 2 years to finally nerf a rocket launcher introduced with free to play that was dubbed the Nooberty Launcher. Had same splash radius and damage as the normal rocket launcher, but fired 50-60% faster. So you didn't have to aim precisely like with the Direct Hit, or lead your target like with the regular launcher.

Numerous other examples. If you do play, stick to something like Payload maps. Capture Point can be okay too, but still a lot of cheese. Avoid Capture the flag like the plague, because most people treat it like deathmatch and the worst of the cancer concentrates there.

TF2 is fun, it's free, pretty good. Multiple classes that all play differently with a variety of modes. More of a screw around game, and nothing serious at all.

Planetside 2 is fun if you're looking for something like that, it's different from your regular 10v10 games and a nice change of pace. It's pretty good, but takes a while to get into. After about 20 minutes of running around in circles not finding any enemies I gave up, tried it again a few weeks later and it was better. Still though, the map is absurdly massive and you seem to find about 1 person every couple minutes. I found it boring aside from the times I somehow managed to find a lot of people. Then it was fun, until I died and spent 10 minutes running around bored again.

Blacklight Retribution is, eh, alright I guess. Felt very pay to win to me, with some guns just completely decimating me while mine took forever to kill anyone. Didn't play for long though.

Steam has a lot of free to play FPS games, and from the ones I've played they're all decent. Just look for free to play FPS games then look for ones with high ratings, and give them a try. That's what I do when I'm bored.

10+ Year Old Account
    Open Arena was quite popular a few years ago. It's a Quake 3 clone which is very good and had many pro players.
    Lately I haven't heard about it though... Perhaps it has died out.

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Open Arena was quite popular a few years ago. It's a Quake 3 clone which is very good and had many pro players.
    Lately I haven't heard about it though... Perhaps it has died out.
    Nah tournaments are still beeing held. Watch twitch.tv

Also going with TF2 and Blacklight:Retribution
    Heroes & Generals (browser based) is also quite fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by xXzCoDProxXz View Post

< stop suggesting pirating here >
    May want to check the forum guidelines bud
    Not supposed to post
    Content that is considered illegal by law
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2013-11-14 at 04:23 PM.