Quote Originally Posted by DiscoGhost View Post
    i hear good things about clash of clans but idk if thats in the same ball park.
    I checked it out. Turns out it's a mobile game and I don't have a mobile device, plus I'm kind of leery of mobile games given their reputation. Thanks for the recommendation though. Anybody else know of a good PC MMORTS?

Quote Originally Posted by TacTican View Post
    I checked it out. Turns out it's a mobile game and I don't have a mobile device, plus I'm kind of leery of mobile games given their reputation. Thanks for the recommendation though. Anybody else know of a good PC MMORTS?
    did you try the settlers online?

Quote Originally Posted by TacTican View Post
    So, back in 2012 and early 2013, I played Age of Empires Online, which was a rather fun MMORTS with gear progression and a home city that you could build up and decorate. While AoEO has been closed down, I still find myself hankering after a good MMORTS to play ... preferably without the lame paywall that gated much of AoEO's content.

Any suggestions?
    Hands down age of mythology the titans. With the recent re-release on steam the game got braught back to life again. It may not be the best graphics, but gameplay wise still the best.

Deleted
    Hey, I'm looking for a MMORPG game.

What I've played already:
    -Lineage 2 (enjoyed it)
    -RIFT (enjoyed a lot)
    - LOTRO (enjoyed to the point where I realized it's not f2p..)
    - SWTOR (enjoyed a bit)
    -Age of Conan (dislike a lot)
    -Neverwinter (no opinion)
    -D&D Online (no opinion)
    -Runes of Magic (enjoyed)
    -Aion (enjoyed on private server, global without trade broker is meh)
    -TERA (dislike)
    -DC Universe (it was ok)
    -Runescape (enjoyed a lot old version, new is meh)
    -Everquest 2 (enjoyed)
    -Rohan (rather mediocre)

Think that's it...
    What I want:
    - F2P (micro-transactions are ok, unless you need them to play at decent lvl)
    - (Very) Big world (I'm a fan of travelling in games, so yeah)
    - Does not have to be pretty but pixel games are out
    - With active players
    - Something more than Warrior/Mage/Rogue classes
    - Multi-class system would be nice but not a must-be
    - Crafting would be nice
    - Skill and gear diversity (one look of armor with just new stats isn't exactly what I'm looking for)
    - Fantasy over sci-fi but both will do..
    - Raids, guilds and that kind of stuff

Also, I'm willing to try again Neverwinter and D&D Online but need some more opinions about both of them

Cheers

Help me find the MMO for me?

Hi there!!

First off, I'm going to list off a few of the key features that I would prefer any suggestions meet. Any suggestions will help though. I've played WoW off and on since Launch. I started off with EQ and have seriously played 15 to 20 MMO's over the last 12 or so years.

Here are the features I would like in my game.

1. Skills and Leveling--- I'm REALLY trying to find a game with a skill/leveling system similar to EvE or FFXIV or Sword Art Online, even Skyrim. The thing I love most about those games is the fact that you aren't locked into a role and forced to play it for the rest of that toons life. If I want to take my 4 month old Barbarian/Ranger dude and have him start learning Lightning and Healing magic, without sacrificing the hard work I put into making him a kickass fighter in the first place... That said, I also would like a purely Skill based system like EvE where there are NO levels. just experience. I mean really, in real life, you don't just hit an arbitrary limit and say;

"Well poop, I guess I'll never get any better. It's time to commit Hari-kiri and start over as a catgirl with dual-wielded daggers.".

I should be able to buy perks/traits/stats/ etc with my EXP.

2. Permadeath--- I would certainly like a game that SEVERELY punishes you for stupidly heading into the creepy cave with only 4 arrows and a single healing potion, but I know that game probably wouldn't be too marketable as an MMO. So I'm willing to settle for a game that instead just seriously f***s you up as punishment instead. Maybe... slashes your charisma/intimidate/persuasion by 75 percent for two weeks as a result of you looking sickly and feverish and spirity after being brought back to life. Or maybe completely wipes out ALL of your accumulated unspent EXP. a low tier toon who is still learning wouldn't suffer too much, since their skills are still reasonably cheap to purchase, but a high level toon would have to be MUCH more careful to ensure that the 25,000 exp he or she just spent the last 10 hours building up doesn't get wiped out by a simple and silly mistake like falling off of a narrow ledge while their toon is drunk.

3. crafting--- I didn't like EQ's crafting system when I was younger, because I was impatient and didn't like to have my mats get wasted. WoW's crafting system seems too forgiving by comparison. I think FFXIV has it just about right though. IRL you're going to make the occasional mistake and screw up whatever you're making and possibly waste mats, but sometimes you are going to be in the zone and make a kickass item as well.

4. Combat--- I haven't played it yet, but the description of the TERA combat system I read seems pretty similar to what I would like to play.

5. Misc--- I hate it when I play an MMO where the midlevel bosses already have 65K health. how in the sam hell can anything reasonably have 200K health or deal 50K in a single hit. It's just... not right. I would prefer something where the stats you buy with your experince CAN up your health, but not by much.

OOOH!!!, I just realized a better way to phrase all this. I'm looking for an MMO version of Demon Souls with extensive Crafting options and a sense of community... I think that would just about cover it.

Any suggestions along these lines would be most appreciated! I would prefer suggestions that have at least 3 out of 4 of the things I listed though.

EDIT**** I just realized I put this in the WoW section.... trying to figure out how to delete my thread and repost it elsewhere.
    Last edited by CosmicKobal; 2014-08-13 at 04:52 AM.

Honestly the MMO genre is in a really bad state with flop after flop over the past decade.

I also came from EQ, and since then we have had World of Warcraft, and that's pretty much all that's worth mentioning. We are all still waiting for what truly comes next, and so far it hasn't arrived.

You can check out SoE's EQNext and hope, but its really anybody's guess at this point. Whatever the next big winner is though, it certainly won't have any harsh penalties like you mention above, those are a thing of the past and are not coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicKobal View Post
    --snip--
    It sounds like you want FFXIV.

FFXIV fits 2 out of 4 of what u listed and its half way like ur 4th request. Guild Wars 2 kinda fits all of it as well besides perma death/crafting. There isn't many if any MMO's with perma death or fail crafting.

If u want a RPG that will punish you for failing go with the Dark Souls series.
    Last edited by Jtbrig7390; 2014-08-13 at 04:37 AM.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Honestly, Runescape sounds like the closest thing to what you're looking for (minus the tera-style combat).

You can do everything on one character

Death is actually a big deal in this game, as you drop all but 3 or so of your items from both your inventory AND your equipped items (not keep 3 of each, you keep three total, I think the three most valuable or something like that), and by drop I mean literally drop so that other people can pick your hard earned items up. There are a few mini games where death doesn't matter, but for the most part dying with your best gear on is devastating.

Crafting in this game is kinda easy, but not WoW- style easy. It's very grindy though.

Combat: There are actually two ways to play the game (not sure if the second one is in yet) there is the Evolution of combat, which indroduces hotbars and skills and various abilities for both combat and utility, as well as a Legacy mode for the old school-style right click and auto attack each other until one of you dies.

Not to mention this game has one of the BEST quest system in any MMO I've ever seen, they are all so in depth and have a great story. They aren't meant to do them back to back to level, they are meant to be prepared for and done one at a time to send you on epic adventure after epic adventure. Some of them are insanely difficult, others are insanely long, but there are tons in between so that anyone can experience many quests that fit their playstyle very well.

Also as far as single player games go, No idea, I don't really play single player games anymore :P

thanks so far

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I tried runescape before and it didn't really appeal to me... I might try it again soon though. Dark/Demon souls is hands down my favorite game series. I actually have a trial sub with FFXIV right now and I mostly like it, but I also know that I will likely get bored with it within a month or two. From what I've read, I think I would have liked Wizardry online. I know that severe punishment for death isn't likely until the 'world seed' from SAO happens in another 30 frickin years, but I won't stop looking in the mean time... If it comes down to it, I might just have to learn to code and make my own damn game!!

@michael199310 well neverwinter doesn't really have a Big world. its has alot of small world/places connected using the main city. so when you want to travel from main city to a new area you just visit the gate and select the place you want to move to and a few second later your in that zone. and it has alot of instance based quests. so don't got a feeling that your cup of tea.

and i got a feeling you could probebly wait for arche age. and maybe someting like black desert. because you played all the big name mmorpg alrdy.

and did you alrdy look at gw2?

F2P: no its not f2p. but doesn't have a monthly cost.

big world: yea there world is big. but they also have fast travel system so it might feel small.

gfx: well there game looks good if you ask me. not the worst gfx you will find.

classes: classes in guild wars 2 are called proffesions https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/

multi class: nope no multi classes in gw2 afaik.

crafting: well there is crafting in gw2 dunno how good it is.

gear. just by googling guild wars 2 armor sets i have seen alot of diffrent armor sets. so that will be oke.

fantasy over sci-fi. clearly fantasy.

raids,guilds etc. well there are not really pve raids. but if you enjoy pvp then you could always join a WvsW zerg fest.

!!!!!!!!!!! i only played guild wars 2 for a few hour in trail so my info might not be correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by loki504; 2014-08-13 at 06:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by michael199310 View Post
    Hey, I'm looking for a MMORPG game.

What I've played already:
    -Lineage 2 (enjoyed it)
    -RIFT (enjoyed a lot)
    - LOTRO (enjoyed to the point where I realized it's not f2p..)
    - SWTOR (enjoyed a bit)
    -Age of Conan (dislike a lot)
    -Neverwinter (no opinion)
    -D&D Online (no opinion)
    -Runes of Magic (enjoyed)
    -Aion (enjoyed on private server, global without trade broker is meh)
    -TERA (dislike)
    -DC Universe (it was ok)
    -Runescape (enjoyed a lot old version, new is meh)
    -Everquest 2 (enjoyed)
    -Rohan (rather mediocre)

Think that's it...
    What I want:
    - F2P (micro-transactions are ok, unless you need them to play at decent lvl)
    - (Very) Big world (I'm a fan of travelling in games, so yeah)
    - Does not have to be pretty but pixel games are out
    - With active players
    - Something more than Warrior/Mage/Rogue classes
    - Multi-class system would be nice but not a must-be
    - Crafting would be nice
    - Skill and gear diversity (one look of armor with just new stats isn't exactly what I'm looking for)
    - Fantasy over sci-fi but both will do..
    - Raids, guilds and that kind of stuff

Also, I'm willing to try again Neverwinter and D&D Online but need some more opinions about both of them

Cheers
    Looks like Guild Wars 2 perfectly fits your description. Have you tried it? It has a VERY big world (yes, you can go back to already explored zones instantly at any time, but the zones themselves are just enormous, and there are many of them - I would say that GW2 has a few times bigger world than WoW, although I might be mistaken), it looks awesome with SweetFX mod on (it is not bad without it either, but SweetFX makes it look truly gorgeous), many players (I believe it is the 2nd played MMO after WoW at the moment), it has a lot of completely different classes, nice crafting (not to everyone's taste, but still), a lot of different kinds of gear with a lot of appearance customization... People say it doesn't do very good job with raids, but I've never tried them so no opinion here.

Again: lazy Mods at work...

Why is this thread still in the WoW section ?

It is a general gaming topic, not related to WoW.

The same remark for people who consistently post with a Signature with a link to a refund for a WoW product on our WoW forums.

If this would be done in ANY other section of any other game, it would be moved.

If you ABSOLUTELY want to try the garbage out, post in that section.

---------

Still, the OP would have had a blast in Vanilla Diablo3 with its hardcore perma death Gold economy. But since Blizzard found that hardcore perma death economy too niche, they deleted the trading with Gold - even in the Gold only hardcore economy-.

Now D3 is just another meaningless hack&slash nobody plays but some 15 year old console players for 5 weeks. I really think the leaving of Rob Pardo, who invented the idea of AH trading in D3, had everything to do with this change.

Blizzard stumbled on accident by WoW's incredible success. If they had implemented the AH's in a SMART way in the original D3 (talking perma death D3) it would have been an instant success too. But the original team screwed up the trading (making gear/mats bound on account AFTER trading would have been a real solution).

The only one valid is EVE, but if you don't like the abstract " spreadsheets in space angle ", you are out of luck as the rest simply sucks ... BIG time.

There is a perma death variant in WoW btw, it is called the Iron Man Challenge, it is player created with a proper website. Only a handful of players could reach level 90 ATM.

WoW turns into a complete other game in the Iron Man Challenge, but it is too harsh/ solo oriented. My attempts stranded at lvl 46 or earlier, each time with a rogue.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-08-13 at 07:32 AM.

You can also try Elder Scrolls Online, the class design is so open that you can do anything on any class, pick whatever abilities you want, etc

GW2 doesn't have raids, it has world bosses. Basically instead of instances, you have server caps so you can't control who comes in or who you are with. You can party up with people and try to shuttle them in by them spamming join until someone leaves or disconnects accidentally and they can grab the spot.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

General suggestions:

RPG: Try divinity: original sin. Takes a little bit of getting into and doesn't hold your hand but... can be good.

RTS: If you haven't tried it yet, EVERYONE should have a look at the new X-Com games. More tactical than straight RTS but amazing.

FPS: Planetside 2 or for something more like MMO borderlands - Firefall (both are 100% free and can be played 100% free, just a bit harder to get going).
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

The permadeath thing really doesn't exist in any modern MMOs as far as I know. I recall Ultima Online has a pretty severe death penalty if you play a server that's pre-insurance. You basically lose everything you are carrying except "blessed" items which are very rare. Once they implemented insurance that was a moot point, since you can just insure your stuff and you never lose it.

Your #5 is sort of a silly point to be honest. I don't want to be a jerk, but you're being incredibly arbitrary here. The numbers really don't matter and are just a way to give you an idea of how much damage you're doing relative to the enemy health. If it's 22k or 22, it's the same thing. It might "feel" wrong to you, but if you can't explain why it's wrong you can't expect any developer to care. Any game that lasts a few years will see some inflation of numbers since players will progress their skills/gear and thus do more damage. Or you could try a game like Ultima Online which doesn't even show you the damage in older versions and newer versions you won't see any damage higher than like 200 or 300.

But UO doesn't match any of your other requirements really (except there's no really "class" system), and the controls are pretty weird compared with modern games.
    Last edited by Varabently; 2014-08-13 at 11:47 AM.

Deleted
    After my previous recommendation in the thread, Child of Light, I also need to mention Transistor. It's kinda niche, but if you're into artsy-fartsy stuff, social commentary undertones, excellent music, drama, and grueling combat packed into one game, yeah, definitely try Transistor.

The chick's voice (Rachel Lynn Barrett or something?) makes my knees melt when she sings @_@

can you recommend me a game where the main character is woman?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by playcrazy View Post
    can you recommend me a game where the main character is woman?
    Only game that comes to my mind is Lara Croft series. Maybe Walking Dead season 2 and to a certain degree the Last of Us.

This is not so much a request (although it could be?) but more so wondering which game would be more recommended/suggested.

Basically after having quit WoW 1-2 months ago and playing other games I'm starting to get the MMO itch again (NOT WoW, I don't feel like playing that at all). I've tried GW2 but can't get into it so easily simply because of the movement feeling icky to me.

I'm wondering between two MMO's: Wildstar and TERA.

I've seen the Wildstar megathread, but the people in there all seem like extreme negative nancies/debby downers to me.

I've played Wildstar on release and enjoyed it, but had to quit at lvl 14ish~ due to IRL, but even though I think they're debby downers in the thread, it does concern me that so many people have already quit.

TL;DR So basically which game would you recommend to me? Wildstar or TERA. I haven't played TERA too much and only got up to lvl 15 as Archer on EU TERA (playing US now as warrior at starting area) but I'm enjoying the anime-esque-ish style of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by loki504 View Post

and i got a feeling you could probebly wait for arche age. and maybe someting like black desert. because you played all the big name mmorpg alrdy.
    Yes, I'm so hyped for this title, looks like a perfect MMO to me. Also awaiting for next Everquest (or Everquest Next as they named it).

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Looks like Guild Wars 2 perfectly fits your description. Have you tried it? It has a VERY big world (yes, you can go back to already explored zones instantly at any time, but the zones themselves are just enormous, and there are many of them - I would say that GW2 has a few times bigger world than WoW, although I might be mistaken), it looks awesome with SweetFX mod on (it is not bad without it either, but SweetFX makes it look truly gorgeous), many players (I believe it is the 2nd played MMO after WoW at the moment), it has a lot of completely different classes, nice crafting (not to everyone's taste, but still), a lot of different kinds of gear with a lot of appearance customization... People say it doesn't do very good job with raids, but I've never tried them so no opinion here.
    I heard some really good stuff about GW2, also some really bad one like a bit dull, enclosed world without that "feeling". I wasn't amazed by first GW so I'm a bit catious, especially when it's not free (one time pay is still a pay).

What about Allods Online? Heard it's good but hard for new players, especially nowadays with some die hard veterans.