Tested a game last week, Archwar on playstore, not sure it's anyone's cup of tea but checked out just fine

So hit a nostalgia thread and got me wondering:

What’s good in the 4X genre nowadays? To an extent I feel this is a timeless genre, but just looking at stuff released/updated in the last 5 years (or 10 if there’s been a drought). I picked up Civ for the switch but haven’t gotten around to playing it due to time, though mostly I view 4X as better served on PC.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post

What’s good in the 4X genre nowadays? To an extent I feel this is a timeless genre, but just looking at stuff released/updated in the last 5 years (or 10 if there’s been a drought). I picked up Civ for the switch but haven’t gotten around to playing it due to time, though mostly I view 4X as better served on PC.
    The 4x genre has remained pretty much the same for the past decade. You only have a handful of real options.

• Crusader Kings 2 Rather than play as a nation, you play as a bloodline (not sure if that means your bloodline doesn't have to be ruling sovereigns). Has a billion DLCs so for the complete experience you need to drop upwards of $200, definitely wait for a Black Friday or Christmas sale. Criticized for tutorial bloat and inadequate tutorials
    • Crusader Kings 3 - so far from what I've heard it's shaping up to be superior to CK3. Also has way better tutorials.
    • Europa Universalis IV - made by the Crusader Kings developers. You control a nation. More focus on non-combat stuff like trade and colonialization and diplomacy.

Space 4x games
    • Stellaris - also made by the CK developers, real time
    • Endless Space 2 - turn based
    • Sins of a Solar Empire - more of a RTS, no trade or diplomacy. Build up your empire, direct your battles and wipe out everyone else. Has a ton of mods, ie Star Wars or Star Trek or EVE Online or Warhammer 40k or Babylon 5 or Stargate or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by SavoirFaire View Post

Endless Legend was probably my favorite 4x. Fantasy + unique mechanics + polished interface/mapgen always appealed to me more than the civs, and i dont want the intensity of details/minutiae from the Crusader Kings series

10+ Year Old Account
    games with a playable bard in it? more specifically a chatacter that heals/supports the rest of his team. like lucio in overwatch or simply bard in bg/iwd

character with aoe support
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    games with a playable bard in it? more specifically a chatacter that heals/supports the rest of his team. like lucio in overwatch or simply bard in bg/iwd

Great bard characters

Olivier Lenheim from Trails in the Sky is a bard, and a purveyor of love! He is a world class musician and lute player who has put on performances at the Heimdallr concert hall, and is even a music instructor at a girl's school. He joins the party early on in the game and is one of the most popular characters in the Trails series, and one of the most major characters in the Trails series, appearing in 8 out of 9 games. That being said, he doesn't have any explicit "bard" abilities in gameplay, as he wields a gun, but he is most notable for being the best offensive mage (can also buff and heal the party too) in the game.

Elliot Craig from Trails of Cold Steel is a violinist, and your little bro. Gameplay wise, he is a mage (can be built as an offensive mage and a support mage), and fights with a staff that can transform into a violin that he can use for certain musical themed abilities (such as lulling enemies to sleep, or healing the party to full, even resurrecting downed party members). He is acquired at the very beginning of the game and is a secondary character throughout the entire Cold Steel series.

Playable bards but not really that much emphasis on the character/bard aspect of the gameplay

Aleo from The Banner Saga 2 is a bard/skald and acquired at the very beginning of the game. He makes music and sings song to raise the morale of the party on the battlefield. He has little story focus, though. If you play TBS, start at the first game.

One of the playable jobs in FFXIV is Bard. They shoot a bow that is also a harp that they can pluck to make music, but that's really just fancy spell animations. They're functionally just dressed up archers. Gameplay wise, they apply to DoTs to their target, and occasionally apply a buff to the party. They can also play instruments outside of combat.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-11-10 at 11:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post

Dungeon Dreams is a good one. It's a rogue-like with some Stardew Valley elements (minus the farming), and part time SFW dating sim. Bard is an unlockable class for the protagonist and there is one NPC bard who can join your party. Good game for those who enjoy a bit of a grind.

Edit: Link: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...ungeon_Dreams/

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyone know of any robot/mech battle games where Mech battling is treated as a sport?

Off the top of my head, the only two I know are the Real Steel movie tie in game and Zoids: Battle Legends. Arena battles with mechs are such a cool concept, would love to try some games.

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post
    Anyone know of any robot/mech battle games where Mech battling is treated as a sport?

Off the top of my head, the only two I know are the Real Steel movie tie in game and Zoids: Battle Legends. Arena battles with mechs are such a cool concept, would love to try some games.
    Gundam Breaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

Quote Originally Posted by Selastan View Post

Mechwarrior 4 had the Solaris arena campaign, which was an elimination free-for-all tournament where you blow up everyone else and hope to be the last man standing by the end of the tournament. I have a lot of nostalgia for MW4, but I am not sure if it has aged well. The controls are complex and you will need to play through the game's tutorial (which is like half an hour to an hour long) to learn the controls and do a lot of remapping of the keybinds. I was suppose that the game can feel very slow, perhaps even frustrating, because the mechs turn and move slowly, but there is a high time to kill, so if an enemy sights you first you might die before you have a chance to break line of sight, or even turn around and see who is shooting you. However, that's not too much of a problem during the main campaign, which gives you 3 other teammates to back you up, and sometimes to can repair during the missions by going to a mech factory garage. Since the Solaris campaign is a free for all with no repairing, I'd imagine that you will either want to play a light mech that can move very fast, or try to snipe the other combatants from far away (consult this build guide for ideas).

The best part of Solaris was the narrator.

You can find downloads for Mechwarrior 4 + the expansions floating around on the internet. The games were declared to be freeware by the developers.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2020-11-17 at 07:46 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    3+ Year Old Account
    i suggest you to buy games with discounts from Deal Me Coupon

Any good 3rd person Sorcerer / magic based games?

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Any good 3rd person Sorcerer / magic based games?
    Oof. There just really aren't many good games where you play as a magician in general.

There are several overhaul mods for Skyrim that alter magic, but modding Skyrim is an arduous rabbit hole and even then, it still boils down to "right click to use spell 1, left click to use spell 2".

Divinity Original Sin 2 let's you do combo stuff with your magic spells, but that game is in an isometric perspective.

- - - Updated - - -

There's also Okami, a 3rd person action-adventure game where you play as a wolf spirit. The gimmick of the game is that you press a button to stop time, and then use your analog stick/mouse/stylus to use a paintbrush and draw on the screen to cast a magic spell, like making the wind blow to lift up banners so you can walk on the banners for platforming, or to restore and heal the environment, or to solve boss fights, etc.
    Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss; 2021-01-06 at 02:29 AM.

I was unable to find a replacement for Mobius Final Fantasy. My favorite aspect of it were that supreme abilities didn't go obsolete. Any recommendations?

Also, are there games similar to snes' F-Zero where each car feels different? Or like Top Gear 2 where you can upgrade your car?

Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    I was unable to find a replacement for Mobius Final Fantasy. My favorite aspect of it were that supreme abilities didn't go obsolete. Any recommendations?
    The only other gacha game with 3D models and environments is Genshin Impact, but it's more an open world (ubisoft style)/Breath of the Wild action beat em up. I would not recommend playing it for the story, as the tidbits of story are stretched out across a long grind, and not very well presented. It also feels very jarring to be adventuring with characters in cutscenes, but you can't play as them during gameplay because you haven't drawn them yet. Play it only if the gameplay interests you.

If you're okay with 2D, visual novel esque gacha games, then I would recommend Granblue Fantasy. This is the most friendly gacha game I've ever seen. They throw dozens and dozens of characters at you for free during the Christmas, March anniversary, and Summer events. I have 265 characters and I've never dropped a dime on the game, nor have I grinded for characters. I only log in to do the next chapter of the story when I feel like it, and only log in during the events to get my free characters. The story mode is really easy so you can just pick your favorite characters and go with them. You can't get more casual than this. They also don't show you advertisements, and don't wave the cash shop in your face.

(That being said, SAVE YOUR CRYSTALS! Save them up so after the events finish, if you have a character you REALLY WANT but your were unlucky and didn't get it from the free rolls, you can draw 300 times to spark that character).

The art is by Final Fantasy veteran Akihiko Yoshida, and the music is by Uematsu and Narita. The gameplay is basic 2D mobile visual novel stuff, but it works.

The game has an official English translation.

The first story arc is basic fantasy stuff, but the characters are charming enough. They got a different writer for the second story arc, which I hear is better, but I haven't gotten that far. Some of the side stories are pretty fun (like the 4 Dragon Knights storyline).

You just need to be using either Google Chrome or the Safari browser.

• Click the "Set Language" drop down and select English
    • Click "New Game
    • Play through the tutorial
    • Create a Mobage account. Chrome automatically translates the page for you so it should be easy, standard account creation process. Sign in Granblue with the account and you're in.

Tales of Crestoria
    Looking for Raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    If you're okay with 2D, visual novel esque gacha games, then I would recommend Granblue Fantasy. This is the most friendly gacha game I've ever seen. They throw dozens and dozens of characters at you for free during the Christmas, March anniversary, and Summer events. I have 265 characters and I've never dropped a dime on the game, nor have I grinded for characters. I only log in to do the next chapter of the story when I feel like it, and only log in during the events to get my free characters. The story mode is really easy so you can just pick your favorite characters and go with them. You can't get more casual than this. They also don't show you advertisements, and don't wave the cash shop in your face.

(That being said, SAVE YOUR CRYSTALS! Save them up so after the events finish, if you have a character you REALLY WANT but your were unlucky and didn't get it from the free rolls, you can draw 300 times to spark that character).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogalicus View Post
    Tales of Crestoria
    Thanks everyone. Do these games have "I win" buttons like MFF's supremes? I thought the Granblue Fantasy anime was decent.

Thanks everyone. Do these games have "I win" buttons like MFF's supremes? I thought the Granblue Fantasy anime was decent.
    Crestoria doesn't, the fights are generally balanced around raking up big attack chain and then following with heavy hitters, which takes a few turns. If you want "I win" buttons, Another Eden might be better game. There are lots of interesting synergies to play with and you can create absolutely overpowered comps that burn through the hardest bosses in couple of turns. It's also pure single player, not pseudo-MMO like tons of other gacha games.
    Looking for Raid.

The story content is generally easy enough you can just roll through it with any party composition no problem. Some characters (there are a lot) can just annihilate most non-raid opposition with their basic ultimate attack. If you want to do the optional hard stuff like raids, then there are many absurdly powerful team combinations you can pursue. Being 2D, it's not as visually impressive as a 3D JRPG animation, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Val the Moofia Boss View Post
    The story content is generally easy enough you can just roll through it with any party composition no problem. Some characters (there are a lot) can just annihilate most non-raid opposition with their basic ultimate attack. If you want to do the optional hard stuff like raids, then there are many absurdly powerful team combinations you can pursue. Being 2D, it's not as visually impressive as a 3D JRPG animation, though.
    Would you believe I played wow for a decade and mff like an addict and still don't know either stories? Too bad about the 2d. I guess I got spoiled with mff. I still have no issues with ff1, original pokemon, etc. but I was hoping for more from modem games. I'm going to look them all up on youtube. I hope their stores give you more for your buck than mff.