10+ Year Old Account
    im looking for something with character progression. like talent trees, gear (not just stats, but also effects etc). something that makes me wanna chase after smth.
    it may be turn-based, or real-time like dead cells for example, but more persistent. i like simplicity, so indie games are very welcome.
    preferably smth i can run on my laptop while in bed

inb4 diablo immortal xd

- - - Updated - - -

may be also something like space ships to customize or whatever
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    im looking for something with character progression. like talent trees, gear (not just stats, but also effects etc). something that makes me wanna chase after smth.
    it may be turn-based, or real-time like dead cells for example, but more persistent. i like simplicity, so indie games are very welcome.
    preferably smth i can run on my laptop while in bed

inb4 diablo immortal xd

- - - Updated - - -

may be also something like space ships to customize or whatever
    There are far too many games with "character progression" to count. Personally I find most "progression" systems to be shallow and to just waste my time. I find the most entertaining customization systems are the ones that allow you to create broken builds, which are fun.

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    You know, I used to live and die by JRPG back in the late 90's early 2000's. Any recommendations if one loved most of the favorite PS1/PS2 classics?
    Here's a list of some recommendations.

Spoiler: 

If you liked Final Fantasy Tactics, consider playing Tactics Ogre. It's FFT but better. Made by the same devs actually. Bigger battles and the story isn't hijacked by demons half way through. Play the original SNES version, not the PSP remake. It screwed up the systems that makes the game aggravating to play and added a lot of bloat.

If you liked FFT gameplay, then there is FFTA2. It is the most refined version of FFT/TO combat. It is very fun to build up your team. Story is meh and the kiddie storybook aesthetics might not be your thing.

The Last Remnant: mixed bag with high highs and low lows. Very interesting setting. Good aesthetics. The main gimmick is that instead of controlling a party of characters, you instead 4-5 parties of characters on a battlefield. Fun combat. Great powermetal by the Black Mages' guitarist Tsuyoshi Sekito. If you play just for the story you can beat it in 20 hours. If you do all of the side content it can take over 100 hours to beat, but the side content requires a walkthrough and mostly involves a lot of grinding and backtracking. The game was delisted from Steam but you can still buy and register Steam keys from G2A.

Trails in the Sky: the first game of the trilogy starts off really slow. Combat system is rough and the side quests are bad so I'd advise skipping them. Plot starts getting really good at chapter 2. Each game is about 50 hours so you can beat the trilogy in 150 hours.

Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2. Play the PC version as it comes with 5,000 extra voicelines and has a killer PC port. Has a more engaging intro than Trails in the Sky. Great combat. Great music. Story is fantastic. I hesitate to recommend the sequels after 2 because the story nosedives, but if you REALLY want more Cold Steel then go for it.

Pokemon Black & White: the only mainline Pokemon game with an actually good story. You can beat it in 20-30 hours.

Pokemon Colosseum: You play as an ex-gangster who is on a mission to fight his former comrades and set things right. Main gimmick is that it's all double battles and there are no wild Pokemon to catch. You have a limited roster of Pokemon so it's tuned to be a bit harder. You can beat it in 20-40 hours.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky. The other Pokemon game with a good plot. Takes about 50 hours. The ending was great. There is a postgame story but it was meh.

Xenoblade 1: grossly overrated but actually pretty good up until half way through. The sidequests are awful so skip them. You can beat the game in 60 hours. Dunno about the rerelease's changes.

Utawarerumono trilogy: Basically Fire Emblem but it is 200 hours long and 80% of it is slice of life visual novel fluff. 10% of its battles. And 10% of it is really hype scenes. The first game has a more varied cast featuring older party members, while the second and third games are pretty much all kids. The story quality varies. I liked the first arc of the first game but that was it. Nothing happens in the second game until the end. The third game has some cool moments but the story goes down the toilet during the last 10 hours. Overall fine. The gameplay is meh. Some of the music was memorable. The game is fully voice acted (in Japanese), which really helps the 3rd game because you hear the difference between what the protagonist says, and what he really thinks. The 3rd game has a really compelling protagonist.

Valkyria Chronicles 1: great aesthetics. Story is okay and cliche, don't expect any real depiction of war. Combat is fun and some of the missions towards the end are pretty challenging in a fun way. I'd hesitate to recommend playing VC4, as the story is a shoddy rehash of VC1. There are some gameplay improvements though so if you REALLY liked the gameplay of VC1 and want more, then maybe check VC4 out.

Sakura Wars 1: visual novel SRPG hybrid. The visual novel sections actually have gameplay, as timed dialogue boxes pop up and you have to decide how to respond within a certain time limit. Sometimes, letting the timer run out and not saying anything is the correct answer. That helps spruce up the gameplay and makes the VN sections fun. The combat sections are okay. The game looks aesthetically great. Good music.

Sakura Wars V: same as Sakura Wars 1 but the combat is actually really fun. The battles are separated into two halves: the first half is a traditional SRPG battle, and then in the second half the boss appears and your mechas transform into jets and you battle in the skies, and it's a spectacular setpiece fight. The battles towards the end got really challenging and were fun.

Vantage Master

Tactical RPG where you play as a summoner and fight duels against other summoners, summoning monsters on a hexgrid map. There is no levelling up or item shops. You just have to be a good tactician. The game isn't ridiculously hard like certain TRPGs/SRPGs; anybody can beat it. It provides a good challenge. I had a ton of fun playing this game. Probably the most enjoyable tactics game/SRPG I've played. The game has great art and music too. I have a more indepth review here. Strong recommendation. The game is free to download from Falcom's website.

Suikoden 1

A grounded JRPG about war. Does not descend into a silly Final Fantasy plot with a god-monster being the true villain or anything like that. Starts out slow but once you reach the elf village about 5 hours in it really starts to pick up. Is 20 hours long. Only real flaw is the inventory micromangement but that was fixed in the sequels.

Suikoden 2

A refinement of the first game. Great story and characters. Doesn’t waste your time with filler. Great aesthetics. Good music. Snappy combat.

Suikogaiden: is a 20 hour long visual novel that bridges the gap from 2 to 3. If you're going through the series then you mind as well read it.

Suikoden 3

Suikoden 2 but this time with multiple perspectives that you bounce between. Also a more innovative combat system. Game is 60 hours long. There is a lot of backtracking though.

Suikoden 5

If you've played 1-3 and still want more Suikoden, then here you go. Not as ambituous as 3, though. About 60 hours long.

Looking for strategy game with cooperation mode

At first let me explain what I mean. I mean the mode where players can play online cooperative against AI and "progress". It is rather not just cooperative campaign (like in Red Alert 3), but more like roguelite sometimes. Here's few examples:

StarCraft II has "Co-op" mode. Two Players select their commander and go through random campaign selected among premade pool. At successful mission they receive experience which gives them more perks, unit unlocks which is helpful in later more difficult vaiants of missions. You don't have to play with same partners each time and there is no linear track of missions.

Northgard has "Conquest" mode. You can play it alone or with partner in cooperation. At the beginning each player select clan and color which will be the same during whole conquest and then they will play through 7-11 mostly randomly generated mission with various objectives, rules, enemies and always random map. Each mission they receives perks to pick from 3, so they grow stronger as conquest progress, but also next missions are more difficult.

Spellforce III has "Journey" mode. You can create a team (maximum 3 players), create your hero in any race and class and play together missions which some are dungeon crawls (only heroes) and some RTS, where you can pick any race you command each time. You level up, gain new equipment and progress through talent tree to eventually finish all missions. Each time you are able to freerly choose next mission, but they difficulty is suggested for specific levels of characters, so it's quire linear pretty often anyway. It is similar to "Free mode" known from Spellforce 1 and 2.

Other similar games, but without co-op variant and feeling of progression:
    - Lord of the Rings Battle for Middleearth II [world map conquest]
    - Dawn of War (expansions Dark Crusade and Soulstorm) [worldmap conquest]
    - Empire Earth III [world mapconquest]

Do you know some examples. My and my cousin like playing like this and looking for something new.

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War 2 - Retribution has a hero survival mode (called Last Stand) with some persistent progression tied to it (level up heroes and get better gear). Not the deepest game mode though, if I remember correctly.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Does a game like this exist?

One that is mixed with the typical survival game genre like ARK and an RTS survival game like Banished. You'd play in both first or third and top down views, the former for exploring/combat and the latter for building base and managing workers, upgrades etc.

The only games that are even remotely close that I know of would be Natural selection and the age old Savage, but they are strict lobby based competitive MP games and not survival games.

Quote Originally Posted by dlld View Post
    Does a game like this exist?

One that is mixed with the typical survival game genre like ARK and an RTS survival game like Banished. You'd play in both first or third and top down views, the former for exploring/combat and the latter for building base and managing workers, upgrades etc.

The only games that are even remotely close that I know of would be Natural selection and the age old Savage, but they are strict lobby based competitive MP games and not survival games.
    Would Outward fit the bill?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/7...itive_Edition/

It leans into the exploration/Adventure aspects in a more contiguous world than Ark. The DLC adds more of the city and base management aspects and whatnot. The Definitive edition includes the DLC, per the link.

Doesn't have the RTS aspects. The core gameplay model seems to fit what you are describing in solo/MP exploration & adventure with survival and building mechanics. It can be pretty challenging as well.

Quote Originally Posted by i3ackero View Post
    At first let me explain what I mean. I mean the mode where players can play online cooperative against AI and "progress". It is rather not just cooperative campaign (like in Red Alert 3), but more like roguelite sometimes. Here's few examples:

StarCraft II has "Co-op" mode. Two Players select their commander and go through random campaign selected among premade pool. At successful mission they receive experience which gives them more perks, unit unlocks which is helpful in later more difficult vaiants of missions. You don't have to play with same partners each time and there is no linear track of missions.

Northgard has "Conquest" mode. You can play it alone or with partner in cooperation. At the beginning each player select clan and color which will be the same during whole conquest and then they will play through 7-11 mostly randomly generated mission with various objectives, rules, enemies and always random map. Each mission they receives perks to pick from 3, so they grow stronger as conquest progress, but also next missions are more difficult.

Spellforce III has "Journey" mode. You can create a team (maximum 3 players), create your hero in any race and class and play together missions which some are dungeon crawls (only heroes) and some RTS, where you can pick any race you command each time. You level up, gain new equipment and progress through talent tree to eventually finish all missions. Each time you are able to freerly choose next mission, but they difficulty is suggested for specific levels of characters, so it's quire linear pretty often anyway. It is similar to "Free mode" known from Spellforce 1 and 2.

Other similar games, but without co-op variant and feeling of progression:
    - Lord of the Rings Battle for Middleearth II [world map conquest]
    - Dawn of War (expansions Dark Crusade and Soulstorm) [worldmap conquest]
    - Empire Earth III [world mapconquest]

Do you know some examples. My and my cousin like playing like this and looking for something new.
    Battlesector has similar mode i think.

So, in a mood for two different kinds of games and, since I'm not exactly able to look around at the moment with another shift coming up, I was wanting to see some suggestions from you guys. Should you find a game with both these aspects, great, but I wouldn't mind hearing suggestions for other games that are more focused on a singular aspect.

So the first mood I'm in for would be a game where I'm able to kill swaths of enemies on my own. For those WoW folks in the audiance, one of my favorite things to do was go through and kill low level dungeons by gathering them all up and mowing them down. Right now, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition has been scratching that itch, but the grind for unlocking things in that game is a little out there and I was wanting to know if there were other games where It's me against the horde that perhaps has a little more nuance than HWE. As much as i love that game, the enemies are rock dumb.

The other mood i'm in for is a base building style game. I've enjoyed something like Factorio in the past, but the amount of efficiency in that game that is required makes it a little hard to just play when I want to, since I'm spending nearly ALL my time trying to fix something so the rest of the factory functions, only to run into another issue down the line. I'd love for a game that gives me to start at nothing and build into a massive sprawling base that didn't have so many cogs in the wheel to gum up because i wasn't doing things in neat little rows.

Quote Originally Posted by MsSideEye View Post
    So, in a mood for two different kinds of games and, since I'm not exactly able to look around at the moment with another shift coming up, I was wanting to see some suggestions from you guys. Should you find a game with both these aspects, great, but I wouldn't mind hearing suggestions for other games that are more focused on a singular aspect.

So the first mood I'm in for would be a game where I'm able to kill swaths of enemies on my own. For those WoW folks in the audiance, one of my favorite things to do was go through and kill low level dungeons by gathering them all up and mowing them down. Right now, Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition has been scratching that itch, but the grind for unlocking things in that game is a little out there and I was wanting to know if there were other games where It's me against the horde that perhaps has a little more nuance than HWE. As much as i love that game, the enemies are rock dumb.

The other mood i'm in for is a base building style game. I've enjoyed something like Factorio in the past, but the amount of efficiency in that game that is required makes it a little hard to just play when I want to, since I'm spending nearly ALL my time trying to fix something so the rest of the factory functions, only to run into another issue down the line. I'd love for a game that gives me to start at nothing and build into a massive sprawling base that didn't have so many cogs in the wheel to gum up because i wasn't doing things in neat little rows.
    Maybe you can look into The Riftbreaker as a combination of horde-slaying and base-building? Its combat is more of a top-down ARPG Diablo-style though (except using more futuristic weapons like flamethrowers and missiles), not like WoW or Hyrule Warriors. It's got a free demo if that sounds interesting.

I'm looking for a competitive with ranked ladder strategy that is similar to total warhammer or football manager with higher or absolute emphasis on strategic decision rather than macro/micro/apm stuff, is there any?

games where i can upgrade and manage my ship/spaceship/mech/whatever? like eve online, star citizen, FTL. any genre, whether its turnbased, RTS or any other
    You have a direct option to upgrade your ship on the screen ; just have to enable the settings.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are there any games like cyberpunk 2077 where you can heavily modify your character and the playstyle, but without the narrative aspect? I hate talking and reading, i just enjoy the combat.

So wether its first or third person perspective its ok.
    Same goes for turn based, roguelike or real time games.
    I would also consider checking out games where i can customize my vehicle/ship/armorsuit or whatever instead of the playable character.
    But i guess im looking for something different than just destiny where its all about gear or wow for that matter.

I dont know if it makes any sense what i just said, but oh well
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

Are there any games like cyberpunk 2077 where you can heavily modify your character and the playstyle, but without the narrative aspect? I hate talking and reading, i just enjoy the combat.

So wether its first or third person perspective its ok.
    Same goes for turn based, roguelike or real time games.
    I would also consider checking out games where i can customize my vehicle/ship/armorsuit or whatever instead of the playable character.
    But i guess im looking for something different than just destiny where its all about gear or wow for that matter.

I dont know if it makes any sense what i just said, but oh well
    Warframe perhaps, but it has become very grindy.

Mount & Blade gives you a lot of combat flexibility. You can choose whether to fight with a bow and arrow, or hurl javelins, or use a sword and shield, or be a master swordsman, etc. Or you can choose to hang back and focus on commanding your troops, using the terrain to impede cavalry charges, etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Terraria - Journey's End Update

If you have ever been interested in playing what some call 2D Side Scroll Minecraft, now is the best time! Terraria has released their final update. I have revisited the game and have been having a great time.

- - - Updated - - -

Farthest Frontier

Settlement building sim. In my opinion some of these sims can get a bit heavy in the micro management complexity realm. Farthest Frontier is a great blend of casual simplicity, and depth. The music is exceptionally relaxing, and the atmospheric animations are down right soothing. Though it is easy to let things slip causing a decline in your settlement, it always feels encouraging to try new things until you get it right.

There is a combat side to the game, but not multiplayer. There are random Bandit raids, as well as an Army who will request payment else they may attack and destroy your civilization. All of these can be countered if you play smart, and are able to amass guards and eventually your own army.

If I were to summarize the game in short, I would say: This game is what happens after you win Oregon Trail.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Trying to find a new game (ideally an MMO) to sink my teeth into. I've been playing FF14, however, I'm feeling like it's not the game for me. I enjoy myself well enough when I'm running dungeons, alliance raids, trials, messing around in the Golden Saucer, leveling my gathering and crafting or other classes, POTD...But I really don't like being forced to do the MSQ to progress and unlock content. I'm at the end of Stormblood and I can't take anymore. I've been forcing myself to play through it and I'm burnt out, story just hasn't clicked with me, even Heavensward. Also, I want to do raids and other group content with people, but it feels like guilds are only running Shadowbringers and Endwalker raids/trials/whatever, at least the ones I found. Conflicted about skipping the story because everyone says Shadowbringers is excellent, and I feel like I'd ruin the overall experience if I do skip...

For now, I'm taking a break from it, don't know if I'll give it another chance. In general, not a fan of story-driven games, but I love games that prioritize gameplay over story. Roguelites, racing games, tycoon games, etc. I love games that are good for muting and letting me play my own music or listen to some other bullshit in the background. Character creation and multiplayer a big plus.
    Last edited by monkeycranberry; 2022-10-29 at 08:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeycranberry View Post
    Trying to find a new game (ideally an MMO) to sink my teeth into. I've been playing FF14, however, I'm feeling like it's not the game for me. I enjoy myself well enough when I'm running dungeons, alliance raids, trials, messing around in the Golden Saucer, leveling my gathering and crafting or other classes, POTD...But I really don't like being forced to do the MSQ to progress and unlock content. I'm at the end of Stormblood and I can't take anymore. I've been forcing myself to play through it and I'm burnt out, story just hasn't clicked with me, even Heavensward. Also, I want to do raids and other group content with people, but it feels like guilds are only running Shadowbringers and Endwalker raids/trials/whatever, at least the ones I found. Conflicted about skipping the story because everyone says Shadowbringers is excellent, and I feel like I'd ruin the overall experience if I do skip...

For now, I'm taking a break from it, don't know if I'll give it another chance. In general, not a fan of story-driven games, but I love games that prioritize gameplay over story. Roguelites, racing games, tycoon games, etc. I love games that are good for muting and letting me play my own music or listen to some other bullshit in the background. Character creation and multiplayer a big plus.
    If you're considering other MMOs, maybe think about GW2. It is much more gameplay focused than FF14. You can theoretically ignore or downplay the story, since you can go to maps out of order and you only need to do the first 15 minutes of a map storyline to unlock access to that map. GW2 will cost you about $300, though.

For non MMO games, I'd recommend Mount & Blade Warband. Sandbox RPG/RTS where you form a warband, fight who you want, pledge allegiance to lords, climb up the ranks of a kingdom, revolt and start your own kingdom, and eventually take over the world. I've dumped hundreds of hours into mount & blade. M&B is also pretty easy to mod; you just drag and drop a mod file into the mod folder and then select that mod from the game's launcher and you're done. For mods I would recommend playing with Diplomacy as it adds a few cut features back into the game. If you want a change of setting that isn't feudal Europe then I would recommend Gekokujo II, which is set in Japan. There is also Prophecy of Pendor, which is Feudal Europe but the map is smaller than vanilla so the endgame where your steamroll over the world doesn't become tedious like in vanilla, and there is a bit more danger.

10+ Year Old Account
    Game Suggestion: Chained Echoes

Do you have a special place in your heart to the days of Squaresoft in the 90's? Love the retro 16 bit pixel art, animations, and top quality musical scores? Then you will fall head over heels for Chained Echoes. It is a classic 16bit turnbased JRPG that scratches those aging itches. As best summed up, it is a heartfelt love letter to the days of Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 6. It has everything you loved from those games, as well as a modern feel. I have personally put over 90 hours into the game, and I am left wanting more!

RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Looking for an MMO for console.

I am a long time WoW player that has recently retired and I am finding that the console gaming scene is t very fulfilling. I have been searching for an MMO to play on console that has similar content: Dungeons, Raids, PvP. Ive tried destiny2…Meh… is there anything out there that is WoW Esque for console??