Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Surprising nobody, Yuzu has been copy-pasted and reuploaded.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LndeAyidDXk

What a massive surprise. You "have to dump your own switch" to use it (massive air-quotes intended). Imagine thinking a lawsuit from nintendo would kill emulation

....yeah and the sky is blue and water's wet
    this isn't first time they tried to cease and desist wont be the last its the internet
    3 Major Rules of World of Warcraft Players:
    1. No one on earth wants to play World of Warcraft less than other World of Warcraft players.
    2. The desire to win>The desire for anything else in World of Warcraft. NO EXCEPTIONS
    3. Efficiency will be king no matter how you think it will improve the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LndeAyidDXk

What a massive surprise. You "have to dump your own switch" to use it (massive air-quotes intended). Imagine thinking a lawsuit from nintendo would kill emulation
    Only an idiot thinks emulation is illegal and or piracy. And as Sony proved, if buying a digital copy doesn't give ownership than piracy isn't theft.

In essence, fuck'em
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterymask View Post
    ....yeah and the sky is blue and water's wet
    this isn't first time they tried to cease and desist wont be the last its the internet
    It actually wasn't a C&D, it was a lawsuit and settlement as as part of the settlement Nintendo now owns the code for Yuzu so anyone trying to distribute it's code right now is a moron, it's the same as openly hosting Nintendo games now. They own it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    It actually wasn't a C&D, it was a lawsuit and settlement as as part of the settlement Nintendo now owns the code for Yuzu so anyone trying to distribute it's code right now is a moron, it's the same as openly hosting Nintendo games now. They own it.
    Uh huh. You're the guy from the other thread saying this is the end of emulation as we know it how long did it take for a fully functional replica project (or 6) to pop up? A week?

The code was open source and distributed as such, and thus it is now in the public domain. They might have claim on anything they develop from this point on (lol), but good luck suing for ownership of a GitHub project developed under an open source licence.

Quote Originally Posted by Delekii View Post
    Uh huh. You're the guy from the other thread saying this is the end of emulation as we know it how long did it take for a fully functional replica project (or 6) to pop up? A week?

The code was open source and distributed as such, and thus it is now in the public domain. They might have claim on anything they develop from this point on (lol), but good luck suing for ownership of a GitHub project developed under an open source licence.
    "Github project"

Literally was removed from github and all attempts to reupload it keep getting shut down. Not so public domain now is it?

Don't make threads if you don't know what you're talking about and don't want to be exposed as such. If you get your news from some nobody click bait youtuber like you linked in the OP it's no surprise. Exited the video after 5 seconds cause it gave asmongold vibes of a guy talking out of their ass for rage bait.

Also never said it was the end of emulation, good luck sourcing that quote go for it. If you don't understand not liking the Yuzu devs who where openly pirating games and optimizing pay walled early access builds that could play those games before release and jeopardizing the future legality of emulation with their own sloppiness then I don't know what to tell you. They settled quickly because they where cooked, so thankfully it didn't go to a judge ruling.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2024-03-24 at 06:10 AM.

"Github project"

Literally was removed from github and all attempts to reupload it keep getting shut down. Not so public domain now is it?

Don't make threads if you don't know what you're talking about and don't want to be exposed as such. If you get your news from some nobody click bait youtuber like you linked in the OP it's no surprise. Exited the video after 5 seconds cause it gave asmongold vibes of a guy talking out of their ass for rage bait.

Also never said it was the end of emulation, good luck sourcing that quote go for it. If you don't understand not liking the Yuzu devs who where openly pirating games and optimizing pay walled early access builds that could play those games before release and jeopardizing the future legality of emulation with their own sloppiness then I don't know what to tell you. They settled quickly because they where cooked, so thankfully it didn't go to a judge ruling.
    How does someone so confidently display that they know nothing? You are fun, it was you I hoped to bait with the title of the thread - thanks for not letting us down!

It got shutdown once by a claim having nothing to do with Nintendo, re-uploaded as a separate project, and now remains there. So... Yes? Still open source? Thanks for.. proving the point?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Only an idiot thinks emulation is illegal and or piracy. And as Sony proved, if buying a digital copy doesn't give ownership than piracy isn't theft.

In essence, fuck'em
    I mean, you're using something with an established monetary value without paying the prescribed monetary value and without any other form of permission from its owners and creators beyond "I found it for free and I want to use it."

Now you can be okay with doing that, but at least have the guts to call it what it is. Just like with torrenting movies. I'm not gonna pretend all of those movies I "acquired" off the internet for free back when I was a ne'er-do-well youth was anything more subtle or nuanced than me pirating them.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Nintendo is the Metallica of gaming, F*** them
    You think you do, but you don't ©
    Rogues are fine ©
    We're pretty happy with rogues ©
    Haste will fix it ©

To be fair, Nintendo only really had ammo against Yuzu itself as they started paywalling features. They'll have a hard time doing much to most emulator projects, as it's when money is generated that it becomes very shaky on the legal side.

I'd say Yuzu deserved what happened to it for getting greedy. So long as the replacements don't go down that road, they'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    I mean, you're using something with an established monetary value without paying the prescribed monetary value and without any other form of permission from its owners and creators beyond "I found it for free and I want to use it."

Now you can be okay with doing that, but at least have the guts to call it what it is. Just like with torrenting movies. I'm not gonna pretend all of those movies I "acquired" off the internet for free back when I was a ne'er-do-well youth was anything more subtle or nuanced than me pirating them.
    I feel the key to it is balance, there is obviously too much content to consume even if you lived for several lifetimes, and for the most part if you spent all your money on entertainment it still likely wouldn't be enough to buy it all.

So you have to balance it, support the creators that make things you enjoy. So long as you aren't pirating EVERYTHING and buying nothing, then I don't really see that much of an issue with it. I staunchly disagree with trying to make money off things other people have created.

But that's the way I see it, there is too much content and not enough time to consume it all, not enough money to buy it all. So either you never experience whatever that thing is, or you pirate it. From my experience, piracy has led me to purchase things I might have otherwise not. Sometimes this is for the convenience of having a legit copy, sometimes it's because I feel like the creators deserve money for that thing. Or I'd like to see them make more of it.

I've used Yuzu before, but then I have no intention whatsoever of buying a switch, so either I play some switch games through yuzu, or I never do. I have various console emulators, but I might not have those consoles any more.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2024-03-24 at 09:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post

That's the part I love the most - people acting like they have some moral high ground or something when pirating a work.

Yeah, I've done it before too, but lets at least just be honest about what it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    "Github project"

Cough cough internet archive.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost of Cow View Post
    That's the part I love the most - people acting like they have some moral high ground or something when pirating a work.

Yeah, I've done it before too, but lets at least just be honest about what it is.
    I backed up all my games that i purchased as a rom, because once switch goes to hell or game catrage stops working i have no way to replay the games in future.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I think you're mistaking a moral highground for logic.

If you pay for something and do not own it, ie any digital copy of a game, movie, etc. Then nothing can be stolen, as it was never owned to begin with.

Nor do you as the original purchaser have any obligation to protect the digital copy you've been temporarily loaned.

It's less about moral highground (read not at all) and more about calling companies out for being shit.

Piracy dwindled as things became convenient to purchase (both movies and games) and now they're moving back to being annoying. So in essence, yes: fuck'em. Entertainment Media companies brought this upon themselves

I think you're mistaking a moral highground for logic.

If you pay for something and do not own it, ie any digital copy of a game, movie, etc. Then nothing can be stolen, as it was never owned to begin with.

Nor do you as the original purchaser have any obligation to protect the digital copy you've been temporarily loaned.

It's less about moral highground (read not at all) and more about calling companies out for being shit.

Piracy dwindled as things became convenient to purchase (both movies and games) and now they're moving back to being annoying. So in essence, yes: fuck'em. Entertainment Media companies brought this upon themselves
    That's not "logical", that's just you doing some mental gymnastics to blame your actions on someone else.

"ACKSHUALLY GUYS, ownership is a lie so it can't be stealing, huehuehue!"

I'd have a lot more respect for people if you just said, "Yeah, I wanted it for free and saw an opportunity." or something, instead of trying to weave this kind of bullshit around your own actions and choices.

That's not "logical", that's just you doing some mental gymnastics to blame your actions on someone else.

"ACKSHUALLY GUYS, ownership is a lie so it can't be stealing, huehuehue!"

I'd have a lot more respect for people if you just said, "Yeah, I wanted it for free and saw an opportunity." or something, instead of trying to weave this kind of bullshit around your own actions and choices.
    Thankfully your respect is largely (read completely) irrelevant.

Looking at piracy and the reasons why people participate so incredibly one dimensionality has one wonder why you bother at all.

It's like you read the book jacket and are going around telling people you read the book.
    Last edited by prwraith; 2024-03-25 at 11:51 AM.

Thankfully your respect is largely (read completely) irrelevant.
    Indeed it is, though just as equally irrelevant as your mental gymnastics in this regard.

Looking at piracy and the reasons why people participate so incredibly one dimensionality has one wonder why you bother at all.
    It's pretty much 99.9% people wanting something for free, yes.

You can try as you like to paint it as some noble crusade against the dark forces of oppression keeping you from playing a video game, but good luck getting anyone to buy it.

I mean double edged sword on this issue

one hand I personally am against emulating Current console generations that I would actively call "Stealing"

HOWEVER after that fact personally I believe emulation is not only proper but necessary. Emulation of older consoles are almost necessary to preserve games or even to be able to experience games you might of never been able to personally.

A few examples
    -Earthbound became a hit in the west BECAUSE of emulating it that popularity did get Nintendo to port it to switch eventually
    -On the flipside due to a MYRIAD of issues Mother 3 is probably NEVER going to get an official translation so the only way for us non Japanese folks to play it is either import it and learn Japanese or we download the handy dandy rom that's been translated by Mr Tomato. Its a beautiful game that will never see the light of day in the west outside of this.
    -Emulation allowed me to play a lot of stuff that I just wouldn't of before. Terranigma is one of my favorite JRPGS ever and that's probably never going to be ported and it was never released in the US. If I want a legal copy I have to import the PAL version which is incompatible with American SNESs.
    -Adding into that the ROM Hack scene is INCREDIBLE right now. The Kaizo scene in Super Mario World has been nuts, the randomizer scene in a lot of games is incredibly fun, and none of that would be possible without emulation.
    -Finally allowing games to be played online that couldn't before. The program Fightcade which allows literally every fighting game ever printed not only be played online but played online well. There's a god damned scene for a shitty Sailor Moon Fighting Game on there and its GROWING.

There's good and bad. I agree emulating switch games is definitely a bit of a legal sore spot and Nintendo is right to do so. But calling out EVERYTHING emulation does as bad is also just shit.
    3 Major Rules of World of Warcraft Players:
    1. No one on earth wants to play World of Warcraft less than other World of Warcraft players.
    2. The desire to win>The desire for anything else in World of Warcraft. NO EXCEPTIONS
    3. Efficiency will be king no matter how you think it will improve the game.

Was tears of the kingdom even worth pirating? Breathe of the wild was fun but i wish the dungeons were more elaborate and bigger

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed it is, though just as equally irrelevant as your mental gymnastics in this regard.

It's pretty much 99.9% people wanting something for free, yes.

You can try as you like to paint it as some noble crusade against the dark forces of oppression keeping you from playing a video game, but good luck getting anyone to buy it.
    incorrect. most piracy is motivated be availability.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.