Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    Wish i had the new MTP but instead they gave me two sets of DPM.

About time the US updated that s**t, really wasn't that good..

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    Yeah, made my eyes burn just looking at them. Why does the navy need camo? Seems very odd to me.

Don't know. I got out before they issued these, but I'd rather wear that instead of the dungeries we had, damn I hated those. Was great to be able to come into work in coverals and not have to bother changing unless something special was going on.

US Navy, Aviation Ordnance on F/A-18s, 12 years

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Toccs View Post
    Wish i had the new MTP but instead they gave me two sets of DPM.

About time the US updated that s**t, really wasn't that good..
    You are a crow now, you get what you deserve

You are a crow now, you get what you deserve
    Come on Rich pull some strings for me *cough* navy boy *cough*

Deleted
    Come on Rich pull some strings for me *cough* navy boy *cough*
    *cough* Jankers for you* cough*

To be fair it is pretty hard to get issued with MTP if you are not deploying, I had to pull in a favour in order to get mine. DPM will be phased out entirely in a few years though, everyone will get MTP.

Deleted
    I do enjoy having a ring-fenced budget.

*cough* Jankers for you* cough*

To be fair it is pretty hard to get issued with MTP if you are not deploying, I had to pull in a favour in order to get mine. DPM will be phased out entirely in a few years though, everyone will get MTP.
    Would take jankers over a tab punishment anyday!

In all honestly i've seen some of the fellas coming back from deployment with the new kit, the funny thing is i did get a new MTP burgan but my CO nicked it, the bastard! I don't care so much though hes been serving for 10+ years and i'm still green as grass.

Deleted
    Would take jankers over a tab punishment anyday!

In all honestly i've seen some of the fellas coming back from deployment with the new kit, the funny thing is i did get a new MTP burgan but my CO nicked it, the bastard! I don't care so much though hes been serving for 10+ years and i'm still green as grass.
    HAHAHA! Awesome, sounds like something I would do. I do not have an MTP bergen yet, only the MTP cover, I am so fond of DPM I am reluctant to switch over.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reakash View Post
    The country was already divided before the Civil War began, and the South had already began preparing military forces of their own. So it wasn't really the military turning on their own people there. Sure you can say that North vs South meant we turned on our own people, but once they seceded, they weren't really our own people.
    Ironically, the Germans weren't as hearthless as that. They were two countries but felt like one.

Something that was lacking in America at that time, and you also see it in both Korea's today. Ugh. How can you hate your own people?

Anyway, I really don't see the point of multi terrain camo.
    Sure it'll save money but you'll stand out a bit more. Or maybe I should see it at a distance to be able to give a good opinion?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    Ironically, the Germans weren't as hearthless as that. They were two countries but felt like one.

Something that was lacking in America at that time, and you also see it in both Korea's today. Ugh. How can you hate your own people?

Sure it'll save money but you'll stand out a bit more. Or maybe I should see it at a distance to be able to give a good opinion?
    Sure, camo for specific terrain is always preferable, but terrain can vary a hell of a lot. Afghanistan can go from dusty mountains to lots of greenery, without multicam the other option is to carry multiple sets of camo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post

There was always a cultural divide between North and South in the original colonies. It remained even after the formation of the United States, remained over the next decades leading up to the Civil War, and still exists somewhat today.

And, speaking of the Civil War and camo... there wasn't any. Astounds me that as recently as the 1860's we were still marching around in formation, lining up to shoot each other.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by belfpala View Post
    There was always a cultural divide between North and South in the original colonies. It remained even after the formation of the United States, remained over the next decades leading up to the Civil War, and still exists somewhat today.

And, speaking of the Civil War and camo... there wasn't any. Astounds me that as recently as the 1860's we were still marching around in formation, lining up to shoot each other.
    Sadly, that practice seemed to continue up until about 1917. It wasn't until the invention of the tank that war become more mobile and kinetic. Certain elements were already developing the art of camouflage though and we've still got a long way to go.

Camouflage is one of those strange things really, developers spend years of field research developing patterns and colour schemes that help a soldier to blend in with his surroundings as much as possible, then the military come along and give us round helmets, black weapons, black boots and all manner of antennas, radios, and other such equipment that help you stick out like a Baboon's arse!

I know of some regiments that flat out refuse to allow their soldiers to 'doctor' their kit, fortunately I don't belong to one of them.. Our hierachy are quite forward thinking in that respect and I've seen some really innovative adaptations to personal equipment at an individual level.

One such example is a Marine coating his helmet in glue and applying loose wood chippings to the whole exterior and rim, then spraying it using a light stencil to mimic the MTP pattern. It looked bloody awesome and everyone was uber-impressed. Sadly I do not have pictures.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    Sadly, that practice seemed to continue up until about 1917. It wasn't until the invention of the tank that war become more mobile and kinetic. Certain elements were already developing the art of camouflage though and we've still got a long way to go.

Camouflage is one of those strange things really, developers spend years of field research developing patterns and colour schemes that help a soldier to blend in with his surroundings as much as possible, then the military come along and give us round helmets, black weapons, black boots and all manner of antennas, radios, and other such equipment that help you stick out like a Baboon's arse!

I know of some regiments that flat out refuse to allow their soldiers to 'doctor' their kit, fortunately I don't belong to one of them.. Our hierachy are quite forward thinking in that respect and I've seen some really innovative adaptations to personal equipment at an individual level.

One such example is a Marine coating his helmet in glue and applying loose wood chippings to the whole exterior and rim, then spraying it using a light stencil to mimic the MTP pattern. It looked bloody awesome and everyone was uber-impressed. Sadly I do not have pictures.
    We allow our lads to modify their kit as long as they do not permanently damage it, if it can be reversed it's all cool.

We allow our lads to modify their kit as long as they do not permanently damage it, if it can be reversed it's all cool.
    My dad was a radio operator in Vietnam. Damn right he modified his kit.

@Reqq: I'm not much of a war historian, but I'm still astounded the practice of lining up and shooting each other lasted so long. I mean, the American Revolution was largely won with what we'd now call guerrilla tactics (with a smattering of line-up-and-shoot battles). nearly a century later... still lining up and shooting.

god bless usa

10+ Year Old Account
    Ironically enough, if you read up on the whole process the Army undertook when picking the new camo pattern, you'll see that they knew the ACU (Army Combat Uniform) digital pattern was one of the worst performing patterns they had to choose from. But they went with this crap anyways. I've been in for nearly 10 years, and it's funny, because I started out wearing woodland pattern BDUs (Battle Dress Uniform), got both DCUs (Desert Combat Uniform) and ACUs on my first deployment to Iraq, and snagged a couple pairs of the new multicam uniforms they've been issuing soldiers going to Afghanistan. And, since the Army is ran by complete retards, we can't even use the multicams once we go home; we're only authorized to wear them over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    American Revolution
    American Civil War
    in case no one else pointed out...durring the civil war the southern states had succeeded from the union, meaning they were no longer citizens/states of the United States.

This is what happens when you let politicians make calls on things they know nothing about.

I always felt sad for the army folks, the cammo really didn't blend in with anything in iraq, I guess it was so they would be more noticeable while on leave (damn army wearing cammies as civilian attire)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O02WseVFBw8 Your comment made me think about this.
    ahh, good old camp talega, spent a few months there over the last decade. No chow hall, no sheets or pillows provided, PX is open 2 hours a day and makes the MCRD PX look like wallmart, 1 step up from being in the field. reservists always get the best billeting... I almost miss the place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O02WseVFBw8 Your comment made me think about this.
    I love heartbreak ridge, I had an instructor once that idolised Gunny, he copied his every mannerism