Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Formerly of the People's Republic of Illinois
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    You know this makes them more likely to be awful not better right?
    Not when they have been rightfully neutered of their powers.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexis_de_Tocqueville
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -CS Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by mavfin View Post
    Well, that's always up to the officer. If he's satisfied that he's being told the truth, the license may be all he requires. If he has suspicions that something's not right, he can go further. I would guess he believed what she said. There's a difference in what *can* be done, and what is *required*, and most of it us up to the officer to decide if there's a reason to dig further. That's why I have a hard time believing that a lot of the stories are any more than incidents that happen, but are far less common than the news would like you to believe.

No officer likes to do extra paperwork, and any international stop involves it.
    This explanation makes perfectly good sense, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by KDSwain View Post
    Not when they have been rightfully neutered of their powers.
    Then you'll just have to learn the names of whatever corporate lords operate in your area. You can't create a sustained power vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    I haven't ever been to Italy, but i'll tell you this, Italians aint got shit on Israelis for being crazy drivers.

Crossing the street in US: look left, look right, look left, walk across
    Crossing in Israel: Look left, look right, look left, look right, pray, look left, look right, sprint and hope you don't get run over
    I sat in a taxi on the way to the airport and i was fearing for my life - the driver had never heard of such thing as brakes and just zig zagged around every car n stuff... Totally insane.

---------- Post added 2012-06-28 at 02:59 AM ----------

Then you'll just have to learn the names of whatever corporate lords operate in your area. You can't create a sustained power vacuum.
    Silence - common sense has no place here!

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer to deal with my mayor, alderman, governor and state legislature. If they want to get wacky, I'll move to Texas.

As for corporate lords, just read my sig
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. -CS Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KDSwain View Post
    I prefer to deal with my mayor, alderman, governor and state legislature. If they want to get wacky, I'll move to Texas.

As for corporate lords, just read my sig
    Could always just elect better leaders and stop having your politicians deciding what is moral and what is not. Worked wonderfully where I am.

You call it a Supreme Court decision. I call it treason. Time for term limits on these bums.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    You can get a license while not being a citizen, and then let your visa expire. You still have that ID.

And I'm curious on whether state and local police officers have access to determine whether someone is here legally or not. I have my doubts, otherwise why the necessity to involve the feds on these types of things?
    They don't. The local and state police have to contact CBP to check immigration status. Strangely, following this decision the Obama Admin has basically said they will no longer be there to answer the phone.

---------- Post added 2012-06-27 at 11:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    You call it a Supreme Court decision. I call it treason. Time for term limits on these bums.
    Not really. Immigration should be handled on a Federal level. The problem is that the Feds have no desire to do anything about it. Too many people on both ends of the political spectrum depend on illegal immigrants.

As for calling them bums, I think they will be redeeming themselves tomorrow when they inform the political scum that they cannot force Americans to purchase a product in order to be a legal citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by Chonogo View Post
    You can get a license while not being a citizen, and then let your visa expire. You still have that ID.
    The license will expire before the expiration date on the visa. Basically, since you need the visa to get the license they won't set the expiration date on the license beyond the expiration date on the visa. Sure you'd still have that ID, but what good is an expired ID.

I support it. Can't wait to get the funds to move there.