Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Brand advice - ssd/hdd + gfx card

ok, so i'm looking to get either a 2nd (larger) ssd for games to be put on, or a faster (also 2nd) hdd. since i am looking to start recording my gameplay with fraps, and i realise, ideally having the game and fraps(+ storage location) on separate drives to improve performance and reliability of recording.

currently have: 1TB Seagate Barracuda Green ST1000DL002 and a Crucial m4 64GB.
    which would be better to add (ssd or hdd)? and any suggestions on models?

at the same time, i'm looking into purchasing a gtx 670 or 680, and seeing the different brands and models (evga, etc) , i have no clue how they would stack up to each other.

live in the uk, budget ~£500 for the 2 items
    thanks for any advice

SSDs: Crucial M4, Samsung 830, OCZ Vertex4, Intel 510/520

As for gtx 670s, The Asus DCII one is, in my opinion, one of the best, as is the Gigabyte Windforce. They use a non-reference PCB design, which gives you more performance and better overclocking potential and stability.

Stay away from OCZ. The other suggestions above are good though.

The OCZ Vertex4 uses different controllers and firmware to the Vertex 3, which used a Sandforce controller. It is a completely different product.

10+ Year Old Account
    Avoid OCZ in general. People have been having very high RMA rates on both the 3 and 4.

Also, I would skip the Asus DCII, as it appears to get very hot, and while has good cooling, that heat has bad management after it leaves the chip.

the ocz vertex 4 uses a rebranded marvell controller. my own suggestioon is either a crucial M4 or a samsung 830 - personal preference based on previous customer support is crucial - in 15 years they have been awesome for me (in the uk)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's all bad luck on the OCZ. I've never had to return any product from them so far (don't you goddamn jinx me either you pos!!!) I also have an OCZ Agility 3 SSD that i've had for about a month installed everything just fine. 10 seconds windows boot ftw. I'll never install any OS on anything except an SSD from now on.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Vertex 4 is completely fine, add Kingston HyperX to the list of reliable SSD brands.

Stay away from Seagate Barracuda.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

kingston hyper x uses sandforce - so good luck with that

Many reports of the Vertex 4 starting to need RMA's.
    Regardless, they released SSD's with firmware they knew had a 40% failure rate. Why would you ever give money to a company like that?

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Avoid OCZ in general. People have been having very high RMA rates on both the 3 and 4.

Also, I would skip the Asus DCII, as it appears to get very hot, and while has good cooling, that heat has bad management after it leaves the chip.
    the asus is the quietest and coolest gtx 670 on the market...
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Deleted
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£78.14 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£350.99 @ Dabs)
    Total: £429.13
    (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

If you want even more space you can actually squeeze in a 256GB Samsung SSD, you'll break the budget by a few pounds.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Hard Drive: Samsung 830 Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£156.30 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£350.99 @ Dabs)
    Total: £507.29

If you wanna save a little on the GPU then the Gigabyte model is still really good:

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card (£330.98 @ Dabs)
    Total: £330.98
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-06-27 at 07:08 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for the advice all, especially Notarget with the parts list and prices. ssd it is, now to decide if i want to push up to the 256gb or stick with 128gb

i'm guessing by everyone saying 670 everywhere that the 680 really isn't worth the price jump when compared to it?

Deleted
    No that 670 is really close to 680 performance, the price difference isn't worth it unless your money crow on trees or you have a very specific use. No doubt 128GB is fine for an SSD, 256GB if you have a lot of games or you're already pushing the limit on a 128GB. Performance is also better on larger SSD's though most users probably can't really tell a difference in every day use.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    No that 670 is really close to 680 performance, the price difference isn't worth it unless your money crow on trees or you have a very specific use. No doubt 128GB is fine for an SSD, 256GB if you have a lot of games or you're already pushing the limit on a 128GB. Performance is also better on larger SSD's though most users probably can't really tell a difference in every day use.
    thanks again
    although the number of games i have isnt what i'd say is a lot, a few of them having 20gb+ installs (with patches + expansions) would probably fill the 128gb pretty fast i'm thinking, which is why i'd consider the 256gb

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    ok (rather than starting a new thread), now that the 660ti is being released, how would that compare to the 670 posted here
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    and to my current 560ti (msi twin frozrII)?

Quote Originally Posted by allevia View Post
    ok (rather than starting a new thread), now that the 660ti is being released, how would that compare to the 670 posted here

and to my current 560ti (msi twin frozrII)?
    The GeForce GTX 660 Ti Review, Feat. EVGA, Zotac, and Gigabyte @ Anandtech
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Still sticking to my old thread, rather than making a new one.
    Now have a palit gtx 670 2gb graphics card, and still thinking on the SSD.

Price limit is ~£200, would like 200gb+ storage space. Would be used for game storage.

Have been looking at the following:

Mushkin Chronos

Crucial M4

Samsung 840 / 840 Pro

Samsung 830

OCZ Vertex 4

Corsair Force Series GS

Any advice based on these?

840 Pro is probably the best of the bunch.

830 or 840 Pro.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450