Prototype Wii Remote Accessory for Gamecube found online

https://twitter.com/spmrp/status/1056030564002582530

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/...-the-gamecube/

https://twitter.com/JamesPopStar/sta...55896937205760

Here's the basics:

Looks very basic.

The 1, 2, + and - buttons on the final product were a, b, Start, and Select.

The A, B, Start and Select buttons were from GBA SP molds.

The prototype was wired through the Gamecube port, the nunchuck was wired through an ethernet port, and the sensor bar was wired through the memory card slot.

The sensor portions of the sensor bar are bulky.

It's really nice to see gaming history like this finally show up.

Looks cool but I don't see the benefit in doing this. Is it just to be interesting, or is there a purpose for this?

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Looks cool but I don't see the benefit in doing this. Is it just to be interesting, or is there a purpose for this?
    Are you talking about the showing off portion or the why was it built?

If you are talking about the showing off portion, the person in the first Tweet bought it off a Japanese auction, and it's a piece of gaming history.

If you are talking about the design, it was one of the steps to the finalized design, and used for testing purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhoftb View Post
    Are you talking about the showing off portion or the why was it built?

If you are talking about the showing off portion, the person in the first Tweet bought it off a Japanese auction, and it's a piece of gaming history.

If you are talking about the design, it was one of the steps to the finalized design, and used for testing purposes.
    Didn't watch the video. Just wondering why someone would go to the trouble of making the Wii remote be used for a gamecube. IMHO the controller is great for games that use the sensor, but awful as a general controller. And this is one the Gamecube, of which its controller is lauded to this day as one of the best Nintendo controllers ever.

Or are you saying that this was a prototype for the Wii that was used on the Gamecube, that just now appeared after years and years? That would actually be impressive. I was under the understanding that this was a fan-made item specifically to use the Wii controllers on the Gamecube since this is like, well over a decade since the Wii was released at this point.

Didn't watch the video. Just wondering why someone would go to the trouble of making the Wii remote be used for a gamecube. IMHO the controller is great for games that use the sensor, but awful as a general controller. And this is one the Gamecube, of which its controller is lauded to this day as one of the best Nintendo controllers ever.

Or are you saying that this was a prototype for the Wii that was used on the Gamecube, that just now appeared after years and years? That would actually be impressive. I was under the understanding that this was a fan-made item specifically to use the Wii controllers on the Gamecube since this is like, well over a decade since the Wii was released at this point.
    the bold was my understnading. the device being produced prior to the debut of the wii and some random person acquiring it.

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    the bold was my understnading. the device being produced prior to the debut of the wii and some random person acquiring it.
    Then that's pretty badass. Nice find, and my apologies for the misunderstanding!

Then that's pretty badass. Nice find, and my apologies for the misunderstanding!
    It should be pointed out that the Wii has much of the same hardware as the Gamecube, the only changes between the two are the higher CPU clock speeds, more RAM, added WiFi, Bluetooth, SD card and sensor bar ports, and the larger disc reader.

10+ Year Old Account
    How do we know its not someones DIY project?

Resident Cosplay Progressive