Thread: Gem Sockets

Gem Sockets

For six years, we have had Jewelcrafting become something to increase stats. However, something came to my mind while socketing something tonight.

What if we had the ability to change the socket color on our gear? Granted, there would be a limit to how many times we can change it (ie, two on one character). I think it would be a nice change to the profession, but somewhat crazy.

Don't understand? Take for example you need to gem a robe that has only a yellow and a blue gem sockets. You could change the blue socket into a red one for only X amount of Currency (100 Valor Points?) You do so, but now, you can only change one more socket on a piece of gear. So you go ahead and change it on a pair of boots (from yellow to blue, needing the hit/spirit).

Question: Good idea or bad idea?

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought about that in the past... it would be a nice tool, but I guess too overpowered, if other professions didn't get some awesomeness too.

Deleted
    Why not get Blizzard to focus on making the game interesting with new content rather than more easy street? Socket colours are almost pointless as they are in Cata because most people just gem red anyway. JC is already the most powerful profession in game when you consider its money making ability and reasonable raiding bonus. Why make it even more powerful?

Gear used to be a lot more fun when actual drops mattered rather than all gear being very similar once reforging has taken place.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathwing the Destroyer View Post
    Question: Good idea or bad idea?
    Boring. With a few exceptions, almost everyone wants red.

Also it would be near impossible to balance properly: You replace a secondary stat with a primary one, so some classes benefit more than others, and possibly gain a socket bonus of 10, 20 or 30 points, depending on the gear.

Agreed. It would make JC too powerful unless other profs were buffed also.