Lego man in space?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQwLmGR6bPA

Looks quite fake to me, they said they used a weather balloon but I doubt they can reach that high above the clouds, I am also pretty sure that the legoman would break, what do you think?

It's been reported by news outlets and a Professor has commented on their achievement.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    It's been reported by news outlets and a Professor has commented on their achievement.
    Wasnt some flying kid on the news aswell? just some good photoshopper made the world believe he made wings that could fly

Its very much possible - Bioware sent Mass Effect games into space that way - Penn and Teller did it in Tell a Lie too.

Deleted
    I do think it's legit.

Weather balloons are commonly sent that high above clouds to get informations.

There are also several other videos of people doing the same stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCAnL...feature=fvwrel
    Last edited by mmoc63d91da705; 2012-06-27 at 09:42 AM.

They pop at high altitudes (think 30k) though, so they can't go into space per se, just to the outer edge of the atmosphere

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cathias View Post

Looks quite fake to me, they said they used a weather balloon but I doubt they can reach that high above the clouds, I am also pretty sure that the legoman would break, what do you think?
    Why would it be fake? weather balloons go that high all the time.

There was a human test subject between 1959-1960 that was to design a parachute that would allow a safe and controlled way for pilots to land when ejecting from high altitudes. Joseph Kittinger was the one that put his life on the line for these experiments. The first jump was from 76,400 feet (23,287 m) but the stabiliser parachute was deployed too soon and he was unconsious when his main parachute deployed automatically. Second attempt the jump was from an altitude of 74,700 feet (22,769 m). In the last test he climbed to an altitude of 102,800 feet (31,333 m) before jumping. What took him up to those altitudes was an open gondola carried by large helium balloons.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw8OJJQ_hgk
    Last edited by Kaos Incarnate; 2012-06-27 at 09:48 AM.

Deleted

Depends on what you consider "space" to be. From what I gathered, that'd bet between 80-100 kilometers up, at about where the air is so thin you can no longer travel in it.

Now I can't claim to know how it's like up there but that seemed to be shaking more than I'd expect it to once it got up there... I'll call fake, but it's still funny to see a lego man IN SPACE!!!

Not sure why people are assuming this is fake. It's been done before with many other items, most notably someone sending their iPhone up there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voVXFFHwCqw

Also, weather balloons are sent up in this fashion every day.

---------- Post added 2012-06-27 at 10:27 AM ----------

Wasnt some flying kid on the news aswell? just some good photoshopper made the world believe he made wings that could fly
    I suggest you read what weather balloons are, and how they work. Dangling something off of one with a tiny camera is beyond simple.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

There was also a manlab episode (discovery channel UK, with captain slow from top gear) where they do the same thing except with the ashes of 2 dead animals (in a comical way). 2 kinds of ashes because they used 2 different kinds of gas.

The view looked really cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Thermosphere is where air begins to get pretty thin and the lack of external pressure would cause the weather balloon to explode (you can see it happen in the video) That layer is pretty high up.

It's always been Wankershim!
    My Brand!

Man, Canada's space program has come a long way.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    Tosh.0 did it too. Pretty cool, huh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    Not sure why people are assuming this is fake. It's been done before with many other items, most notably someone sending their iPhone up there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voVXFFHwCqw

Also, weather balloons are sent up in this fashion every day.

---------- Post added 2012-06-27 at 10:27 AM ----------

I suggest you read what weather balloons are, and how they work. Dangling something off of one with a tiny camera is beyond simple.
    Hah, one of the comments in that video says "impossible" ...right, it's not like we've been sending rockets into space that weigh about a million times heavier or something.
    "When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Runeforged View Post
    Hah, one of the comments in that video says "impossible" ...right, it's not like we've been sending rockets into space that weigh about a million times heavier or something.
    I see you've made the fatal mistake of reading Youtube comments. I suggest you quit doing so before your brain loses faith in humanity and commits suicide.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted

Wait what?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    I see you've made the fatal mistake of reading Youtube comments. I suggest you quit doing so before your brain loses faith in humanity and commits suicide.
    It's too late for me. Go...on...without...meee...
    "When I was 5 years old, my mother told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down 'happy'. They told me I didn't understand the assignment, I told them they didn't understand life." - John Lennon