Friend's neat Raid idea for getting new players in

Just sharing this to see peoples' opinions. Share it on the official forums if you like it. But my friend had an idea for getting more players into raids on live servers without requiring as many people to be achievement or ilvl nazi's.

Basically, it would involve having a secret boss in a raid that is summoned by one player, and having that player NEVER be able to summon that boss again.. after it's defeated of course. This way, more raids are required to bring in a new player after everyone in their normal core group has summoned the boss. Have the boss be at the end so people actually get to make it all the way through the raid and can't just ditch the person after the boss is down. Granted, there would still need to be a way to work it out so that they didn't just clear the raid and then bring one person in for one boss, but hey, at least even if that were the case an outside player would get a chance at loot for their participation hopefully. Just a thought. I forgot about it until now but it sounds like a decent way to get more players into raids. I'm not terrible at WoW, far better at pve than pvp, but because I'm not in a guild and don't have a set schedule in which I play, I don't really get to participate in raids on my own terms and have missed out being part of that content. I'm sure others have been rejected and ignored in World of Rudecraft enough to identify with how I feel. Just a thought.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by cptaylor38 View Post
    Just sharing this to see peoples' opinions. Share it on the official forums if you like it. But my friend had an idea for getting more players into raids on live servers without requiring as many people to be achievement or ilvl nazi's.

Basically, it would involve having a secret boss in a raid that is summoned by one player, and having that player NEVER be able to summon that boss again.. after it's defeated of course. This way, more raids are required to bring in a new player after everyone in their normal core group has summoned the boss. Have the boss be at the end so people actually get to make it all the way through the raid and can't just ditch the person after the boss is down. Granted, there would still need to be a way to work it out so that they didn't just clear the raid and then bring one person in for one boss, but hey, at least even if that were the case an outside player would get a chance at loot for their participation hopefully. Just a thought. I forgot about it until now but it sounds like a decent way to get more players into raids. I'm not terrible at WoW, far better at pve than pvp, but because I'm not in a guild and don't have a set schedule in which I play, I don't really get to participate in raids on my own terms and have missed out being part of that content. I'm sure others have been rejected and ignored in World of Rudecraft enough to identify with how I feel. Just a thought.
    Alts;p They'd never do this because people would be expolited over it, nor would a raidgroup particulary enjoy the idea of being forced to bring in fresh meat once the core is done, it's just bad design all around.

Quote Originally Posted by cptaylor38 View Post
    Just sharing this to see peoples' opinions. Share it on the official forums if you like it. But my friend had an idea for getting more players carried in raids on live servers without requiring as many people to be achievement or ilvl nazi's.
    There I fixed that for you because that is basically what you are suggesting. Bring the people you wouldn't normally bring for any number of reason, for a "secret boss".

Sry, but I still don't think it would work.

BTW: You know that there is no special requirement to start raids or guilds that run the way you want them too!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Raid progression, especially in unnerfed hardmodes where individual performance is required to be more than "adequate" simply cannot occur when you constantly rotate people in. This boss would also need to have nothing on its loot table nor any achievements associated with it. LFR gets people in to a "raid setting" where they can go about it at their own time and pace and see content.

Why would it not need achievements or loot attached to it? The whole point of it is to have secret loot that encourages people to bring new players in. And you can have a team of 9 people and have one dps that's never been there before. The point is to teach them the fights on REGULAR. Sure, some might be carried, but a lot of people could be potentially good players that just aren't in guilds and could actually LEARN the fights in the raid. I can see the elitists are flocking in offense. They wouldn't be forced, they could bring in alts that they plan on gearing up anyway. Or other guildies that need the experience anyway?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry but that makes very little sense. What you would have instead is a group of players upset that they had to farm and get themselves to this boss just so they could regularly rotate new people in that don't know the fights or have the gear so they can summon it again...and again. No, I can't imagine this working.

Deleted
    Unfortunately, no amount of ingame systems can force people to play together/play solo/get new people or anything similar. If you try to change the social relationship between players with ingame tricks and treats, you're going to have a bad time. In almost all possible cases the players will find a way to exploit it

Here's another way how it could end up being misused - a guild clears all of the content except the last boss -> they take one random guy who was never there before -> he summons the boss and they kill him = he can never summon him again. --->>>>> that new random guy now starts looking for a guild or a guild run but they want only someone that didn't summon the boss ->> application to guild rejected/kicked from raid group. This is, imo, a far worse scenario then the possibility of someone not seeing content, when they can still get a group/guild/random raid normally the way it's done now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eh... I don't like it, having to add another 5 people to rotate in and out of your team? having to pug someone every week? they might be bad... you might spend 3 hours looking for one, guild members getting offended that your replacing them on that night to bring in someone you don't know from a bar of soap?

It was a cool idea but I just don't think it'll work.

I wouldn't like something like that. Feeling like I would need to replace a member of our Raiding Heroic Team, for the sake of getting a Best-in-Slot item, does not seem fair. Being forced to bench people because of a Raid Mechanic is something I disagree with, and never liked.

I know World of Warcraft is filled with fights like this, but we prefer to work through it with our team of friends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds silly. Im more for just inviting a newly dinged 85 w/o achivements nor experience and giving him a boost just out of sheer joy.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water