Deleted

Headset/mic advice

Hey guys
    Having basically had crap headsets for the past few years I have been wanting a half decent mic/headset for a while, and I figured what better time than now when I can actually afford one.
    I don't really know what to look for in a good mic/headset setup, so I'm hoping someone can help me out by giving me some advice, my budget is ~150 USD, and the quality of the output sound is more important than the input quality.

Hope this is enough information for now, thanks in advance.

Do you want a stand alone mic, a clip on mic or a headset with mic built in?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Do you want a stand alone mic, a clip on mic or a headset with mic built in?
    I would prefer a headset with a mic built in, but I'm open to suggestions.

Deleted
    I'm using the SteelSeries 7h. Simply love the sound of it, both input and output. Tailored for gaming, so the sound is a bit "deeper" and static, so if you listen to a lot of music, it might not be the way to go, not that the sound when playing music is bad though, it's just not "dynamic" since you want the static sounds for gaming (mostly FPS'). But I've actually started to prefer listening to music with it.

But besides that, I certainly haven't had any complaints about the quality of the microphone. The voice is clear, and it pretty much ignores everything it's not meant to pickup. Can only recommend it.

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-7h

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viveras View Post
    I'm using the SteelSeries 7h. Simply love the sound of it, both input and output. Tailored for gaming, so the sound is a bit "deeper" and static, so if you listen to a lot of music, it might not be the way to go, not that the sound when playing music is bad though, it's just not "dynamic" since you want the static sounds for gaming (mostly FPS'). But I've actually started to prefer listening to music with it.

But besides that, I certainly haven't had any complaints about the quality of the microphone. The voice is clear, and it pretty much ignores everything it's not meant to pickup. Can only recommend it.

http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-7h
    Thanks for your input. One thing I've had issued with in the past with my headsets is that when wearing it for more than like 1 hour it starts to hurt my ears, do you have that issue with your headset?

Deleted
    Had that issue with previous headsets, but haven't had any problems with this one. Sometimes I even forget I have it on, only to realise it an hour later, without having listened to anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Proxeneta View Post
    I would prefer a headset with a mic built in, but I'm open to suggestions.
    I have sworn by the TurtleBeach Earforce headsets for a wired solution. They are in the $60 range and are light,comfortable and keep my ears at a cool temperature. The reviews for the wireless ones are not positive but wired ones are solid, plus they work with the xbox 360.

If you are looking for a wireless option i would go with the Logitech G930. That is going to be my next set.

From my experience the reviews on amazon have been fairly accurate. Also Newegg is a great resource.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by kodefoo; 2012-06-29 at 08:40 PM.

Deleted
    Check my post here, scroll down: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post13403306

I recommend the ATH-AD700 and a ZM-MIC1 as a good combo around $110.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't like the clip-on mic, I'd highly recommend a AntLion ModMic. It's pricier than the Zalman one though, but if you get the ATH-AD700s, combined with this will fit in your budget. Most of the time it's out of stock on Amazon, but you can buy it directly off their site at www.modmic.com for a couple dollars more. Actually, I guess you can't buy it at the moment, as they are doing some site upgrades :P
    Last edited by obake1; 2012-06-29 at 10:20 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kodefoo View Post
    I have sworn by the TurtleBeach Earforce headsets for a wired solution. They are in the $60 range and are light,comfortable and keep my ears at a cool temperature. The reviews for the wireless ones are not positive but wired ones are solid, plus they work with the xbox 360.

If you are looking for a wireless option i would go with the Logitech G930. That is going to be my next set.

From my experience the reviews on amazon have been fairly accurate. Also Newegg is a great resource.

Hope that helps.
    turtulebeaches are absolutely horrible, shouldn't be used outside of xbox tbh, the sheer quantity of headsets which are highest quality for similar/cheaper prices is ridiculous.
    Source: ex-owner of 2 pairs, first the sound in the left drum started cutting out after two weeks, sent them back, got a replacement pair, 1 month later, same problem. Then they just broke completely when they slipped through my hands onto my desk as I stood up (literally about 1 foot at a maximum)
    They are the "skullcandy" of "gaming".

10+ Year Old Account
    Wireless - Creative WoW Wireless - $110

Wired - Razer Carcharias - $70

The wireless headset is what im currently using because its so darn nice to move around. Has great distance. Easy to use. Fairly comfortable. Great pricepoint for a wireless headset. Can use while you're charging (big plus as most wireless headsets you can't use while you charge).

If being wired doesnt bother you and you are looking for the best all around sound/comfort/quality/pricepoint, I'd go with the Carcharias. It is hands down the most comfortable headset ive ever worn. I forget im wearing it after 5 minutes. Also your ears dont get hot during long sessions and it breathes extremely well.

Hope this helps =)

Marest made a good overall suggestion. In my experience when things are bundled together quality is sacrificed. With that being said I would go with a headphones and stand alone mic even if it's a clip on. They work very well are clear and are cheap should you have to replace. I would spend the money on a quality set of headphones. There are a few threads on this topic, again Marest suggested one.

Edit: in my experience PC peripheral companies don't make the best products as far as headphones/headsets/audio. I would go with a company that specializes in the audio field. For the price point these are excellent http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-A.../dp/B000CMS0XU
    Last edited by lockedout; 2012-06-30 at 01:58 AM.

Deleted
    If you are willing to pay some money I'm going to say the razer tiamat 7.1, and here's why.

First of all, the headset itself is great. The sound quality is amazing IF you're running it in pair with a 7.1 sound card (if you don't have / not willing to get one, don't bother with the tiamat).

The mic is also great despite all the negative feedback it has recieved. It gives a very clear voice with NO background noise what-so-ever. It makes me sad to hear so many people have been having issues with their tiamat's, because it's really a great headset.

I'm currently using a Turtle Beach Earforce X12. The only notable thing I enjoy about this headset is the fact that I can adjust the bass on the wired dongle whenever I feel like. If I'm using it for more than an hour it can make my ears quite hot. I've owned 3 different turtle beach headsets and the same thing keeps cropping up with every single one. Any stress on where the actual headphone connects to the outside adjustable plastic and it will break, on my third set because I dropped the last one too hard. I keep going back to the same headphone because I usually use it for xbox360 and they work great, but for pc, not so much.