why do i hate food???

Sadly I posted this in a VERY health related forum and itll prob never get answered. truthfully and sadly i think i might bet better answers here lol.
    Hello. I'm a 24 year old guy.

I'm 5 foot 10 and 140 pounds.

I come from a semi wealthy family and am starting to become wealthy myself through my own electrical contracting business. My family life has been normal. We've been going on great family vacations at least 2 times a year to the Caribbean and everything is great on that front......never any mental trauma.. Jeez I dont even wear glasses anymore because for my 21st bday I got laser corrective surgery.

Promlem is...
    I just hate food.... its getting worse too. over the last 2 years its started effecting me to the point of it owning my life more or less. protein shakes from gnc worked well but the smell now makes me want to throw up. I can drink water milk etc fine but anything that's solid(food) or heavy (like a protein shake) forget it...

What ive beentrying to eat recently is shreded wheat in the morning.
    For lunch i make a roast beef / cheese on a wrap and usually eat a little more than half.
    Dinner. ugh. I dont even know. I go out to my favorite restaurants and order something i know i like.. something ive had before.. anything.. doesnt matter. 5 bites in and it feels like im going to be sick.. i feel a hunger from my body but its not possible to continue.

Smoking marijuana medicanally is legal in my state but do i need to go THAT FAR????
    Are the other ways?? I dont need advice like.. eat more or your lucky. No, in fact I'm not. I've lost 30 pounds in 2 years.
    I've been to the doctors for it but nothing has worked. there are a few extremely strong medications which are not optional for me from the side effects.

Sounds like you need MEDICAL advice. If you really are somewhat wealthy, then that should be no problem at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing that comes to mind, is that do you smoke, as that dulls your ability to taste. So quitting that might fix it (if you do smoke, that is)

It doesn't seem like you are really trying to go out side of your comfort zone with food. People's tastes change. I love some things now that I hated 10 years ago and vice versa. Also using stuff that tastes terrible like protein shakes, shreded wheat etc....well that's not exactly stuff that makes you think YUM. Your 140 lbs at 5'10". You don't need protein shakes and shredded wheat. YOu need to get food in you that you can eat to get something on your bones. As a male, that is way too light unless you do not have alot of natural muscle. Even then it's pretty tiny, almost see a doctor thin. You are not a model/body builder professionally so that is some what of a concern since your not trying to be that small. Try some stuff you normally wouldn't. Steaks, hamburgers maybe? Some heavy pasta type dishes? Soooo many different types of food it's hard to suggest since you didn't list alot of what you do eat. There has to be something out you haven't tried.

It also might not be a bad idea to see a doctor if you've really been going at it like this for two years. My cousin had a problem where he could not keep foods down or eat more than a few bites. It ended up being cancer(before he turned 30). God bless his soul. I don't want to scare you(assuming your being 100% truthful) but it's better to be safe than sorry.
    Last edited by VoljinforWarchief; 2012-06-29 at 10:08 PM.

Deleted
    For the sake of... everything, don't smoke marijuana. You sound like you're a guy, who shouldn't experiment with it.

Anyway, I suppose a psychologist could you help you out, since it doesn't seem like a physical problem... Try to drink a lot of water if you aren't already, and get your mind occupied with something else. Get a hobby, workout a bit, listen to peaceful music, find some peace of mind and body. I guess some professional massage could straighten things up a bit as well, as it very well could be stress symptoms.

I don't know, this just seems logical to me, I could be dead wrong. Good luck, though! I feel for you

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you smoking weed? I had this problem, back when I was smoking everyday.. Just the thought of food threw me completely off and I didn't eat anything until my stomach really ached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have you used them bath salts?
    I heard they change your tastes to human flesh.

And with pot that used to make me eat a ton.

Deleted
    I would strongly suggest seeing a doctor and getting their advice. I don't think you'd get too much help from forums and this is not an issue you want to let carry on for very long.

I would advice you to go to a psychiatrist. When I was 14-20 I actually developed an eating disorder similar to yours that made it difficult for me to eat enough to stay healthy. I finally gave in and went to a doctor and discovered it was all related to stuff from my childhood. Just go to a good doctor, eating is very important.

It's possible because you barely ever eat that your stomach has shrunk so much it's to the point where you get sick very easily. You just need to spend a week and chow down as much as you can to get your stomach to stretch more and all that stuff. It helps to try different foods that taste really good. Either that or eat a hell of a lot of junk food until you can eat more stuff. lol. I don't think it's a medical issue though. Doesn't sound like it.

Quote Originally Posted by VoljinforWarchief View Post
    Even then it's pretty tiny, almost see a doctor thin.
    You are greatly exaggerating. While 140 lbs at 5'10 is slightly underweight, by itself it's no concern. (I'm 6' and weighted about 140 lbs until I was 27 - it's really not that tiny.)

However, back on topic, your loss of appetite, combined by a heavy weight loss IS a concern. If doctors didn't find anything - did you try to consult a psychologist about it?
    There are just way too many possible causes to make any kind of internet diagnostic. (It could be almost anything, from things as simple as prolonged stress to depression, cancer, HIV and other nasty stuff.) But physical problems should have been detected by your doctors.

Quote Originally Posted by TekGoNos View Post
    You are greatly exaggerating. While 140 lbs at 5'10 is slightly underweight, by itself it's no concern. (I'm 6' and weighted about 140 lbs until I was 27 - it's really not that tiny.)

However, back on topic, your loss of appetite, combined by a heavy weight loss IS a concern. If doctors didn't find anything - did you try to consult a psychologist about it?
    There are just way too many possible causes to make any kind of internet diagnostic. (It could be almost anything, from things as simple as prolonged stress to depression, cancer, HIV and other nasty stuff.) But physical problems should have been detected by your doctors.
    we will agre to disagree then. I am glad you being underweight didn't negatively effect you. But you were most certainly very underweight being 6 foot, 140lbs, and he is also underweight. Everyone is built different, so we probably should be talking body mass or body fat but we don't have those numbers unfortunately. A person naturally muscular will weigh more than a person with the same dimensions but not as much natural muscle. So to base it soley off just weight was wrong and I probably should have been more clear about htat. We can draw some assumptions off of it tho, and for a 5'10" male, on the average, that is underweight. All it is an average, we can only go off so much.

The OP I hope will see a doctor if he hasn't already. Disagree as some of us might, the one common theme is if you haven't gotten that checked out, you should. The 30 lbs weight loss is the most troubling part. If you grew up small and were 140 that would be one thing, to be 170 and drop down to it is not good since that was not your intent. Do you work out? If you do, is it weight training, cardio, etc?
    Last edited by VoljinforWarchief; 2012-06-30 at 12:06 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Actually 140lb isn't medically underweight for either 5'10" or 6'0" according to BMI - which I admit is only a very general scale, but that's about all you can go on with just height and weight known. 140lb is certainly very slim though.

In any case - I agree - the 30lb drop is the worrying thing, and if you really don't feel like there's anything much you can eat, after having tried a lot of foods, you should really see a professional about it. What did the doctor tell you was wrong? If it's no kind of physical illness maybe it's a mental thing.