• IV: Oblivion

44 29.93%
  • V: Skyrim

73 49.66%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Morrowind hands down. Everything about it was absolutely amazing and I feel in recent 2 installments (Oblivion and Skyrim) they lost a little of the magic.

Morrowind had beautiful visuals in terms of varied geography, crazy flora and fauna and it *looked* magical. Whilst the graphics may not hold up well anymore, at the time my mind was blown. The music is second to none, I still get all nostalgic and a lump in my throat when I hear the theme music of Morrowind. The game as a whole was fairly gritty whilst still being a fantasy game; there was racism, slavery, betrayal, murder plots, politics and war all throughout - even the factions pitted you against the others, culminating in being forced to pick a side and "remove" those in the way of progress. The main story arc was pretty great, and some of the scariest and tense gameplay of the series was found in the Red Mountain areas and in various crypts and caverns; they did a real good job building atmosphere. I still remember being kinda creeped out exploring Vivec sewers at night and stumbling upon a group of murderers.

The most jarring thing about it playing it years on is the combat system; I have been somewhat spoilt by Skyrim and Oblivion and missing/having spellcasts fail repeatedly is not something I'm used to anymore :P

I definitely enjoyed Oblivion + Skyrim too though; I've easily spent hundreds of hours in each world, and the Shivering Isles expansion for Oblivion brought back some of the magic from Morrowind. Hopefully they'll think about creating a more diverse world in the next offering, over the "vanilla" kind of lands TES4/5 offer.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Loved Morrowind. Skyrim was ok, Oblivion was just junk IMO. I might give Oblivion a second chance though, because I was playing it on Xbox360 and having serious frame rate issues constantly, and strange bugs kept happening (like I kept getting killed by a troll while I was asleep even inside a house... I was literally getting trolled)

Daggerfall, it ate up soo much of my time back in the day.

I bought Battlespire, lawd that sucked

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd have to go with Morrowind. As much as I've played Oblivion and Skyrim, neither have been able to hold my attention like the third game. I really don't have a clue as to why.

Deleted
    Skyrim has the best graphics so I'd have to go with that.

Quote Originally Posted by orissa View Post
    I can keep going back to Skyrim. Oblivion was good times, but Skyrim is just so visually beautiful.
    Oblivion's varying environments and comparably better questing dialogue really made the game great for me but the sheer beauty of Skyrim and how everything just meshes so well together alone makes me prefer it over Oblivion as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

where is the love for daggerfall and redgaurd

15+ Year Old Account
    I've played the series since Morrowind.

For me, the best would be Morrowind by far. The theme and setting was really superb. Also the huge map that came with the game was so freaking cool. Whenever you got a quest (which was always kinda vague like go to the river, 3 mountains north, after the 2nd dwemer ruin go left 2 times until you see a tree etc) you would pick up your map irl, check the route you were going to take and check where on that map was a cross or cave or w/e you were supposed to go, brilliant.
    I also had a main house, always killed Casius Clanter in Balmora every save and made a museum out of that house displaying all the nice loot and weapons I found on the counters/closets.
    I can name another 1000 things that made this game the best game ever made which it still is for me (although Fable 1+ PC expansion came close), but my post would be 20 pages then so yeah.

Oblivion felt really small because you could port to literaly everwhere, mobs SCALED (Which was the death of Oblivion to me) so no more scary caves you found by mistake like in morrowind when you were low level, and do I really need to say it ; close portals x10000000000000....
    Shivering Isles though reminded me a lot for Morrowind and was so much better than Oblivion itself, nice athmosphere and storyline.

Disliked Skyrim because I'm not feeling the whole Nord style theme. Loved the bloodmoon morrowind expansion but hated the nord town quests in it to the northeast so yeah Nords nothanks. I tried it for 5 minutes, wanted to quit but then I heard the voice of my hero Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica so I played it for 30mins longer, but even his pressence couldn't stop me hating the snowey nordworld.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanith View Post
    I've played Oblivion for months. Skyrim for months. Morrowind for 10 minutes :P
    You have bad taste or just addicted to graphics? No, Oblivion and Skyrim are good (except camera and levelling system are BAD)... but Morrowind is just perfect.

I just love Ashland and yurts of ashlanders, Ald'Ruhn, Azura's Coast, Telvanni mushrooms, daedric ruins ..actually, all locations except for Red Mountain, it is a giant amazing crazy world.
    And this picture is just perfect http://snowskadi.deviantart.com/art/...-days-25725774

Last edited by Against the Modern World; 2012-07-01 at 02:25 AM.

I played the Daggerfall -demo- for over a year before realizing that it wasn't a full game... without actually completing the demo storyline. I was so hooked.

This was on my first PC, an IBM Aptiva with a 100mhz CPU, 8MB of RAM and a 600MB HDD.

It may be a nostalgia thing, but this game opened my eyes to the concept of a nonlinear explorative RPG and therefore has to get my nod as my favorite in the series.

I want to vote Morrowind since I spent the most time playing it, but I'm gonna say Oblivion. Morrowing-Oblivion was the biggest leap of all the games IMO. Skyrim felt a bit like a reworked Oblivion expansion. I also can't vote Morrowind since every time I get the urge to play it again my eyes start bleeding.

Oblivion was my favorite. I can't bring myself to play Skyrim, I get about 30 mins into the game and I just get bored and restless. I own Morrowind and yet I can't even bring myself to play it as well. Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Thelxi View Post
    I also can't vote Morrowind since every time I get the urge to play it again my eyes start bleeding.
    Install one of the different texture packs and Morrowind Graphics Extender. Or try Morroblivion.
    Check this site with modified Morrowing graphics - looks very pretty: http://vality.xtreemhost.com/

I really loved oblivion and Shivering Isles was about the most fun I ever had in a game questing. Skyrim on the other hand in beautiful and has dragons (granted the dragon are piss boring easy but they look cool). And the Dark brotherhood quest line was epic. Down side: the Mage school quest line was horrible and I hate skyrims magic system. Reminds me so much of fable 3 I wanted to kill it with fire.

Guess my vote goes to Oblivion and the most awesome daedric prince Sheogorath.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

actually I'm playing Skyrim right now, so you probably know my vote =P
    love it too much, ever since it came out (the first month I played it TOO MUCH, I mean 8 hours a day, shit.)

I also own oblivion but haven't played it too much, although I'll probably play it just for the main story line since everyone here are saying it's great.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jaelrin View Post
    <picture>
    Only thing that is missing is the last living dwarf with the mechanical spider legs and an example of the daedric ruins. It's a good representation of the variety you find in Morrowind though, and characters such as Creeper the Scamp, Vivec and that guy who hilariously falls to his death while testing a new acrobatic spell. It's exactly what I mean about Oblivion and Skyrim losing some of that magical appeal in favour of a more "realistic" and "epic" experience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alt-ithist View Post
    I really loved oblivion and Shivering Isles was about the most fun I ever had in a game questing. Skyrim on the other hand in beautiful and has dragons (granted the dragon are piss boring easy but they look cool). And the Dark brotherhood quest line was epic. Down side: the Mage school quest line was horrible and I hate skyrims magic system. Reminds me so much of fable 3 I wanted to kill it with fire.

Guess my vote goes to Oblivion and the most awesome daedric prince Sheogorath.
    Have to agree with the shivering isles one of my favourite expantions ive logged considerable hours into morrowind and skyrim though
    If everything I do is wrong then by god ill do it right

Deleted
    Spent the most time on Oblivion. Morrowind was good, but rather weird game. They did quite well on graphics/story stuff, but any balance or challenge simply was not there ((like RNG hitting, overpowered status effects, or just leveling mechanics). Oblivion was much better, though with broken leveling system. Skyrim would play probably the best (leveling seems to be working fine, and the weird mechanics that could never work, and cried just for exploiting, like spellmaking, are gone, though some broken elements like enchanting still remain, in addition to just bad smithing), but in my opinion the game felt quite unfinished, and the huge time leap in storyline made the world somewhat unfamiliar.
    Nevertheless, all of those games are quite good despite those flaws, as there's quite some fun to justify their price tag. Something you just can't say about every game out there, especially if you're going after singleplayer.
    Funny thing that you can vote for more than one in this poll, so I could vote for both 3 and 4.

Deleted
    by far the best was morrowind, i think that i don't have spend as much time with a single game (yes, not even wow) as with this game, i would sacrifice a goat at midnight to bethesda for a new version of it, like absolutely same game, with no bugs and like we say skyrim graphics, ohhh this would be a dream
    but indeed i like them all from arean to skyrim but morrowind kept me captivated and hooked for so a long time and i don't even know why^^

Oblivion, probably. Skyrim is just... really bland and boring for me. I got my money's worth out of it, but it's just not nearly as good as Oblivion was, or the Fallout games. It felt repetitive after a while and I just didn't want to play it anymore. Still haven't finished it to this day. Oblivion had some of the best sidequests though. Loved it.