Quote Originally Posted by Grokan View Post
    @Fencers
    I'll be sure to take your suggestions. I'm not that skilled in these types of games, so I'm probably going to be starting on normal soft core until I get more comfortable. Good to have some pointers for going in though.
    Should be pretty okay in softcore.

I've done it in HC with as a 2h ranger before.

Do keep in mind though that melee is always tougher than ranged in the game. So provided you don't mind that steeper curve and can afford the gear costs, melee Ranger is pretty decent & fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jangri- View Post
    Since we are discussing skill builds anyway, I'm looking for some input on mine.

Witch, CI, Fire damage.

I have a few questions. Where to go right now according to plan. I don't feel like I can grab CI just yet. I was planning to grab Z.Oath and the armor+ES passives, then going for the CI. Also, my build is planned for 60 points. Where should I invest if I get further?
    Not sure. Fire is tricky. Depends what you are doing with fire; totems, hard casting, 1h/shield, staff, fire traps, etc.

Fire just gives raw damage. Not the most damage, which is lightning. That means you have to plan around the limitations of fire. Since it doesn't provide the burst of lightning or the safety of cold.

Might want to combine your fire build with another element [such as lightning] or minions. Depends on what kind of and how you are casting those fire spells.

Rule of thumb for CI that I find works is; if you have about 3 times as much ES as life, CI is safe to take.

Also if going for Armor/ES gear you will need to find strength to equip it. Note that Armor/ES because it is hybrid gear has less ES than pure Int gear. Which may not work as well with the new CI.

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    Have you specced into any attack speed increases? I died to Brutus a couple times because I wasn't moving or using my potions properly, but not because I wasn't firing fast enough.
    Not there yet in talent tree, I didnt research builds, just went with whatever I liked the most. And no, I didnt die to Brutus, but the animations seemed really slow to the point of frustrating. Like I said, probably just need to get used it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Question: I remember Kripparian saying in one of his videos that people were generally saying that, unlike Diablo 3 where armor is very important, in PoE evasion is the way to go. Is this something that applies to all classes or specific one(s)?
    Last edited by Grimbold21; 2013-01-25 at 10:17 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    As I said, once you fill out the core minion talents you can literally do anything from frost & fire to melee. There are actually melee minion master items in the game, yes I am not joking. Survival is through the roof with my linked build too.
    Yeah, those builds are pretty nice. I won't be going with the wands builds or support one because I just prefer to do damage with spells instead and the support one won't happen because I don't really play with anyone else. If I go hardcore, I don't know, it's not something I have in my mind atm.

Either way, those builds are good. Thanks.
    I am not attempting to sell you on CI. Merely explaining how and why it is a big deal in the game.

Can go full energy shield or life as you please really.
    Hm, I'd really like to go for the CI but this is my first character and I don't plan on doing that, not yet atleast, since it seems too much for me to handle atm, got no knowledge in the game so I think I'll go with the "safe" route. Getting both life and energy shield is what I'll go, though I'm going to focus more on the energy shield talents because I've noticed it's a lot better compared to the life talents and it's just easier to get energy shield, through items and talents, than life, well, you get the point of course.
    This is a mistake.
    Yup...

Been going further in the game and I had to put some resistances on. Already getting different rings with different resistances. No idea if it's worth having a necklace with resistances(do these even exist?) over one that gives attributes, so I dunno but I think the attributes are propably better assuming you're taking rings with resistance, no?

Also, the items I'm getting, her weapons atleast, is a wand and a shield, both that give elemental damage. The shield is mainly just to get energy shield, and the one I have now is actually pretty neat since it has three blue sockets and in those three I got the Zombie Summoning, plus two supports(45%damage on minions and 45%hp on minons), so that's pretty nice.

As for my talents, I think I'm just going for the minion talents so I just can make more and abuse it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Question: I remember Kripparian saying in one of his videos that people were generally saying that, unlike Diablo 3 where armor is very important, in PoE evasion is the way to go. Is this something that applies to all classes or specific one(s)?
    Are you sure he said that ? That templar of his is very likely running armor/es and no evasion. I clearly recall him saying that he tried pure evasion char and it was not that good. Once in a while you fail to evade a streak of hits and then what.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Jangri- View Post
    Since we are discussing skill builds anyway, I'm looking for some input on mine.

Witch, CI, Fire damage.

Current tree

Planned

I have a few questions. Where to go right now according to plan. I don't feel like I can grab CI just yet. I was planning to grab Z.Oath and the armor+ES passives, then going for the CI. Also, my build is planned for 60 points. Where should I invest if I get further?
    Looks about the path I'm going, works fine so far using Fire trap, Fire storm, Fireball, Clarity and Raise zombie as primary spells. The zombies are more cannon fodder than anything else and will be replaced down the line with Fire totem, or that's the general idea at least.

Current build, general direction being something like this, some of the resist points might be changed down the road, possibly for CI but you get the gist of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Possibly because of the keystone that converts your evasion into armor, there is generaly more evasion on equivalent gear to armor so once it's converted you end up with a higher armor value than you would if you went with pure armor stacking...you also have the grace aura which gives you once converted the additional armor of a good shield.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    Quick question.

Been thinking of a heavy physical damage build for shadow using Poison Arrow.
    Can I factor in crit with that? Does the extra Dot dmg crit?
    Help!?
    Also interested in knockback on crit

10+ Year Old Account
    Combined with the fact that i have to get up early tomorrow, i burned out. Why?

Waterfall cave level 2 and Ancient Pyramid maps are freakin huge man! Strong ass skeletons with no end in sight.

I'm having a blast with this game so far. I'm really glad I decided to play it! I originally wasn't going to because I had been kind of burned out on ARPGs but this is exactly what I needed. I'm only level 10 on my ranger so far, but the combat just feels great to me, and it looks a lot nicer than I expected it to. People were leading me to believe that the game looked a decade old. :P Can't wait to learn more about the talents and get really involved! There's a lot of depth to this game, and I like that a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I'm having a blast with this game so far. I'm really glad I decided to play it! I originally wasn't going to because I had been kind of burned out on ARPGs but this is exactly what I needed. I'm only level 10 on my ranger so far, but the combat just feels great to me, and it looks a lot nicer than I expected it to. People were leading me to believe that the game looked a decade old. :P Can't wait to learn more about the talents and get really involved! There's a lot of depth to this game, and I like that a lot.
    That's what most pick on but i really can't see what the complaints are? how much graphical detail does a dungeon with stone walls and ceilings need to have?So long as its dark, has lots of gore i really don't care much about graphics when i spend over half the time on these types of games looking at loot on the floor. As far as Action RPGs goes, this one has the total package. The graphics are fitting imo especially when all the settings are maxed, the special effects are good, and the music is very immersive (especially on the dungeons and dark corridors). The way you can customize every class to do almost anything is pretty cool too. Optimal or Viable is subjective, the option is there.
    Last edited by Razael; 2013-01-26 at 02:09 AM.

Anyone mess with Acrobatics, Phase Acrobatics and Arrow Dodging? I'm guessing you'd want to stack a lot of evasion, health and resistances alongside these keystones, but I'm also curious as to how well they work.

Is there a nice shadow meele build?

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    deleted thread post
    Last edited by Tychoblu; 2013-01-26 at 03:57 AM.

Can someone help me with a DW Claw Shadow build, please? ^^ Can't seem to find one/create one myself.

EDIT:

Tried to create a Dual wield claw meele build

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...v3o_zF_iv_k__e

please evaluate?
    Last edited by LockyShaman; 2013-01-26 at 04:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    its the fact, that I cant do hit n run quickly, the animations are quite long. maybe Im just used to short animations, or animations that dont prevent me from movement, like in diablo, maybe just takes some time adjusting, but heck, that boss in prison was pain to get shots between his hooks because the animation is so damn long.
    Heh. If you have a hard time with hit-n-run on Brutus wait till you face Vaal. Where you have to dodge falling rocks, ground aoe, 3 1-shot laser blasts, conical aoe and respawing waves of melee adds and ranged adds that ignore defense. :>

So I got a random +20 quality item 7 armor. I read somewhere that if you get an item with a lot of links or high quality, you should keep it since both are valuable traits.

My question is, is the one I got even good? If not, what kind of 'white' items should I avoid selling? Obviously one with lots of links but what about any other stats?

How could any one know if the item you got is "good" with just that information? -_-

Is it 4, 5 or 6 linked? What color are the sockets? Which sockets are linked? What kind of armor is it? What type of armor? Etc, etc.

Good items are ANY rarity type where any of the following is true:

- Red, blue and green sockets linked
    - 5 linked sockets
    - 6 linked sockets
    - 6 sockets linked in whatever manner
    - Pure gear with linked hybrid sockets [Such as Int gear with G/G/B/R sockets]
    - Hybrid gear with rare linked sockets [Such as AR/EV gear with B/B/R/B sockets]
    - +10% quality or higher life, granite, amethyst or quicksilver flasks
    - Items which complete a recipe [Such as base item type rare, magic, normal items to make an alchemy orb]
    - Max implicit roll
    - Max affix roll

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I gotta say this is seriously proving to be a lot of fun so far. Quality of the game continues to absolutely baffle me for it being essentially a F2P game. Even down to the water washing up on the shores, it just looks too damn good. I really wonder what Blizzard is thinking right about now. =X
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

One thing that I'm wondering about (and being a bit lazy when it comes to figuring out) is what currencies are useful at end game and their relative values, if possible both to each other and to some generally traded item(s) like quality gems or similar, the latter helps keeping up with price changes and learn it better.

If anyone know and don't mind giving a brief rundown.