1. #10521
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Instant start movement spells, all melee splashes, animation cancelling, instant defensives, chain attacks via improved animations, new hit feedback, holy SHIT WTF BBQ SAAUCE MELEE LIVES AGAAIN.
    Frost Blades/CoC/Glacial Cascade Raider incoming!!!!!

    EDIT: daggers or rapiers? or sword/board?
    No one wants to choose. Everyone wants everything.

  2. #10522
    Titan Gallahadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beyond the 1% barrier.
    Posts
    13,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Darleth View Post
    It's literally Breach 2.0 with more control over the spawns basically. I'm glad that they really went through with a more simple design instead of the more complex ones we had the past 3 leagues or so. I just hope that they've actually fixed betrayal this time and that map drops won't be a problem.
    Yup! Looks like Breach and Essence had a baby, that inherited all their best qualities. It's going to be awesome.

    I just hope that they don't double down on the complexity of the next league, to make up for this one being simple XD

    And yeah, now that we know Synth isn't going core (thank fuck...) Betrayal is the only thing that needs a real fix.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

    Blog Twenty Five is live! In which I list our Spotify playlists, and try to get you to listen to them!

    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/25-blog-25

  3. #10523
    Immortal Beazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    7,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinastorm View Post
    Ya, the fact that there are no traditional respecs (you have to grind a ton, in late game, to access a real respec) and the trade system are the 2 things that make me only able to dabble a bit in poe, otherwise I think i'd be playing the crap out of it, I love everything else.

    But those 2 issues are big ones, for me, and many others.

    How are new players supposed to find a spec/build they like? Keep making new chars and going through the resident sleeper campaign over and over? I watch videos, I try to do my research at the start of each league, yet I always finding myself wanting or needing to respec, but not being able to. I am sick to death of the campaign at this point.

    And trade, we all know the issues there. If they just made diablo style AH's, but something like a hundred per region, and cap how many players can access each one, so lower tier items aren't completely worthless. Boom, done.

    Respecs and an AH....you now have maybe the best active game in the world.
    Usually a new player makes their first hero and they suck. They usually find out around 65 when things start to hit you once and you explode. Then you realize you need help with the finding a new spec so you roll again using a guide. I wouldnt worry about re-specs in this game if I were you. You will end up with many heroes because of all the seasons.

    Trading is much easier now that PoE has an official trade site. Its not even a big learning curve, but people are psyched out by it because the depth of PoE knows no bounds. Trading is also the best/only way to gear your hero. Most guides will tell you what to buy, but if they dont, the guide will tell you what types of damage to focus on. Resists etc.

    Ive been playing the game for many, many years and I still have to use a build guide because I dont feel like studying to get a PhD in PoE stats and abilities. There is no shame in using a build guide. It makes the game much more enjoyable when you blow shit up with ease.
    Last edited by Beazy; 2019-05-22 at 01:31 PM.

  4. #10524
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    Frost Blades/CoC/Glacial Cascade Raider incoming!!!!!

    EDIT: daggers or rapiers? or sword/board?
    IF they aren't changing anything about weapon ranges and in general DPS scaling: a good Foil should be great. Maybe dual wield for more damage, if you want to survive more definitely Foil + decent defensive shield. Obviously I would wait until we know more about the changes.

    My wish is still that 2h gets a HUGE increase on stats, since you are missing a offhand option. Bows work great because you have quivers as a statstick. 2h only has the benefit of another 6 socket, which in the end isn't bad to have, but its also not the best thing in the world. 2h either need a stat stick option like bows have (whatever that would be) or a huge increase to make them viable. A 2h weapon should hit like a truck for being a lot slower.

    I really hope they didn't forget about that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Yup! Looks like Breach and Essence had a baby, that inherited all their best qualities. It's going to be awesome.

    I just hope that they don't double down on the complexity of the next league, to make up for this one being simple XD

    And yeah, now that we know Synth isn't going core (thank fuck...) Betrayal is the only thing that needs a real fix.
    They will definitely bring complex leagues again. But right now with the big melee rework it made sense to make a smaller scale league thats easy to understand and doesn't have a huge emphasis on crafting. Personally I'm not a crafter. I'm not against crafting at all, PoE still has one of the best crafting systems in any ARPG there is. But if every league is tailored towards the top 1% crafter, that know how to play the market and craft things that might be mirror worthy in the end, its a bad design. Thats one of the reasons why I didn't like synthesis. Not to mention the bugs and "complex" systems it has, which needed a 3rd party website to look up what pre- and suffixes would result in the wanted implicites and what the threshold for said implicites are... that was a huge fucking mess.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

    M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

  5. #10525
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemos daemonium View Post
    Every one is excited about the Melee changes and I just want to blow my zombies up :x
    Wait until you run into mobs that will Detonate Dead your own zombies on top of you.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

  6. #10526
    Titan Daemos daemonium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Land of moose and goose.
    Posts
    11,962
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Wait until you run into mobs that will Detonate Dead your own zombies on top of you.
    What’s a little blowing up between friends and zombies?

    Though hopefully they will add an mtx to make them less ugly.
    Last edited by Daemos daemonium; 2019-05-22 at 06:58 PM.

  7. #10527
    Old God endersblade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    10,581
    I can't wait to see what changing Cyclone to a channeled ability brings to the table. Cyclone in any ARPG is always my go-to for melee builds, so being able to cast things off of spinning around is going to be cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

  8. #10528
    Fun fact: I guess on Standard your atlas can last over a month.

    Finally got a replacement GPU, logged in, my uber elder from a month ago is still spawned. This is glorious.

    Now I just need to catch up on all the melee changes, I could barely keep up with my brother last night when he tried to explain them to me.

  9. #10529
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Fun fact: I guess on Standard your atlas can last over a month.

    Finally got a replacement GPU, logged in, my uber elder from a month ago is still spawned. This is glorious.

    Now I just need to catch up on all the melee changes, I could barely keep up with my brother last night when he tried to explain them to me.
    Not a lot known yet. What we do know is animation changes, chaining (mini melee splash) and canceling attack animations will be possible. Accuracy has no cap of 95% anymore, which means that you can go to high amounts of accuracy. Movement abilities are now instant. Gotta wait for a lot more changes though, since unarmed and weapon ranges didn't really get mentioned yet. Also, no information about item changes yet.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

    M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

  10. #10530
    Quote Originally Posted by imabanana View Post
    Every jewel can end up scrambling your passives tree a certain way. The clue is a particular “seed number” when you read the jewel’s description. It would say something along the lines of: “A battle occurred in year <X>,” where X is the seed number itself. Each seed has different effects for particular sections of the passives tree. I’ve been told that there are thousands of possible results, and you’ll just have to trade to get the type of effects/seed number that you want. (source)

    Going to open a CRAZY amount of possible builds. At least 5 different jewels modifying passives in different ways, with thousands of different versions of each (the "seed" seem to be on 4 digits, so potentially ~10k variations for each jewel)
    I really doubt there'll be 10k variations per jewel. It'd be literally impossible to balance and there aren't 10k different combinations of stats available, even with all the different nodes the jewels reach, especially considering there's five different archetypes of the jewels.

  11. #10531
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I can't wait to see what changing Cyclone to a channeled ability brings to the table. Cyclone in any ARPG is always my go-to for melee builds, so being able to cast things off of spinning around is going to be cool.
    I played a Cyclone/CoC/BV two leagues ago and it's awesome. Cyclone as channeled just makes gearing for it much easier - no need to invest so much on crit nodes on the tree, can go for long range weapons for more aoe, you can focus on spell/elemental damage if you go with other spells.

    Another thing i'd try for this league is a Trickster given the channeling notables; could be easily one of the best build given how you can put an ED or SR coupled with Cyclone and go for full dot damage. There are a lot more possibilites open now.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Darleth View Post
    IF they aren't changing anything about weapon ranges and in general DPS scaling: a good Foil should be great. Maybe dual wield for more damage, if you want to survive more definitely Foil + decent defensive shield. Obviously I would wait until we know more about the changes.
    I can also go for Cospri - don't know if dual wielding them procs more stuff or there's a shared cd for spells with the same name; though it would require building specifically for it and i cannot just invest all on crit to just then ditch everything. It isn't super rare though so i could play a standard FB build and then add Cospri later on.

    EDIT: my bad, i thought it was a proc on hit, but since it's crit it's perfect. Only downside it to avoid all elemental reflects monsters and maps are just nope.
    Last edited by Coldkil; 2019-05-23 at 06:50 AM.
    No one wants to choose. Everyone wants everything.

  12. #10532
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    I can also go for Cospri - don't know if dual wielding them procs more stuff or there's a shared cd for spells with the same name; though it would require building specifically for it and i cannot just invest all on crit to just then ditch everything. It isn't super rare though so i could play a standard FB build and then add Cospri later on.

    EDIT: my bad, i thought it was a proc on hit, but since it's crit it's perfect. Only downside it to avoid all elemental reflects monsters and maps are just nope.
    Yeah cospris should work great with your idea. The proc itself has a 150ms cooldown, so it's nothing too wild. I'm not too sure how cospris functions nowadays when dual wielded though, but my guess is each weapon would have its own cooldown. Haven't played with one since... 2.8 or something, so it's been a while.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

    M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

  13. #10533
    Titan Gallahadd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beyond the 1% barrier.
    Posts
    13,478
    Quote Originally Posted by Darleth View Post
    Accuracy has no cap of 95% anymore, which means that you can go to high amounts of accuracy.
    Also worth noting: They said that Accuracy will be easier to cap, not sure if this is because it will be on more things, will be on the same amount of things but in larger amounts OR because you'll need less rating...

    But either way, easy(ish) hit cap, I'm down!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

    Blog Twenty Five is live! In which I list our Spotify playlists, and try to get you to listen to them!

    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/25-blog-25

  14. #10534
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Also worth noting: They said that Accuracy will be easier to cap, not sure if this is because it will be on more things, will be on the same amount of things but in larger amounts OR because you'll need less rating...

    But either way, easy(ish) hit cap, I'm down!
    Thing is, you'd still want Hits cant be evaded on a weapon if you are going with crit, since there are still enemies with certain effects that will reduce your hit chance (Shroudwalker for example). Not sure how I feel about accuracy all in all... I would have hoped that they are actually removing it because its such an old mechanic that imo isn't worth keeping anymore.

    Some additional information:
    SRS Amulet: https://dd.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/...e_sacred_code/
    Confirmation on Legion jewels being able to modify keystones: https://dd.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/...upt_keystones/
    New Skillgem and Blood and Sand showcase: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2507482

    Edit from 05/24/19:
    Resolute Technique modified by another jewel: https://dd.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/...shes_ultimate/

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeE-9REzsIk Quicker bossphases with more to kill it seems.
    Last edited by Darleth; 2019-05-24 at 01:58 AM.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

    M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

  15. #10535






    This is going to be some funky stuff.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

  16. #10536
    Quote Originally Posted by Darleth View Post
    There are a shitton of guides available and there is also poe.ninja which shows a ton of additional information on how people build their characters for certain builds.
    So, as someone who keeps trying to get into the game and never getting very far... my big issue isn't a lack of guides, its a lack of being able to figure out what if anything I find fun without needing to invest a decent bit of time into the game. Guides =/= experience.

    Every time I start up the game and get a tiny bit farther but the skills at the beginning just aren't very fun to use and I have 0 clue how or when I get something I might actually enjoy using. And I can't begin to even know how to spend my points as I level without knowing all that ahead of time as well.

    Its definitely poorly designed in that way. A 1 time full respec like you say should be an absolute minimum.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2019-05-27 at 01:24 PM.
    "I've carefully played this game to an endless despair"

  17. #10537
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    So, as someone who keeps trying to get into the game and never getting very far... my big issue isn't a lack of guides, its a lack of being able to figure out what if anything I find fun without needing to invest a decent bit of time into the game. Guides =/= experience.

    Every time I start up the game and get a tiny bit farther but the skills at the beginning just aren't very fun to use and I have 0 clue how or when I get something I might actually enjoy using. And I can't begin to even know how to spend my points as I level without knowing all that ahead of time as well.

    Its definitely poorly designed in that way. A 1 time full respec like you say should be an absolutely minimum.
    The game definitely isn't newbie friendly. But if it helps, all primary damaging skills are available by mid Act 3 (minimum level 28 to equip the gems, but you might be a bit past that like low 30s by the time you finish the prerequisite quest), or late Act 3 if you're going for skills that your class doesn't get.
    i.e. a Witch should have all damage spells available after doing a mid-Act 3 quest, but she won't be able to buy most melee or bow skills until a late Act 3 quest.

    There are some support gems and utility skills that you don't get until Act 4, but you'll have all damage skills available before A4. So if you can get one character up to there, then you can try out skills and see what you like. Though late Act 4 is when you unlock the Cast on Critical Strike and Cast When Channeling support gems, so if you wanted to toy around with those Supports you'll need to progress a bit more.

  18. #10538
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Snip
    Glancing Blows is looking great for builds that use block chance effectively. It'll be easier to get block capped and even spell block can get to super high levels with that. The 50% damage taken is a good trade off for having a extremely high chance to block.
    Dance with Death on the other hand seems... strange. It effectively removes one of the strongest parts of any build (helm enchants) for saving a flask slot for Diamond Flasks, while also making you more vulnerable to crits. Not sure if anyone would ever go with that one.
    Power of Purpose is interesting. The question is how it behaves with mana reservation. All in all I can see some melee builds going for it to gain extra survivability.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    So, as someone who keeps trying to get into the game and never getting very far... my big issue isn't a lack of guides, its a lack of being able to figure out what if anything I find fun without needing to invest a decent bit of time into the game. Guides =/= experience.

    Every time I start up the game and get a tiny bit farther but the skills at the beginning just aren't very fun to use and I have 0 clue how or when I get something I might actually enjoy using. And I can't begin to even know how to spend my points as I level without knowing all that ahead of time as well.

    Its definitely poorly designed in that way. A 1 time full respec like you say should be an absolutely minimum.
    The part about finding out which skills are good and that a lot of the early game skills suck is definitely a valid critique. I've never denied that.
    There are only a few skills CURRENTLY (might change a lot with 3.7) that are good early on and can even result in a great endgame build. Melee has a lot of those "suck" cases, which might change heavily now with the upcoming changes, because A LOT of melee mechanics are getting changed. Most starting spells up until Merveil where you get some more advanced skills and then act 3 where you can usually get your "main skill" to use from a "guide perspective" are good. There have always been some early game skills that have been successfully used in endgame builds. Bow skills also need a ton of changes, which I hope are included in the melee rework at least a bit, because right now there are only a handful of skills that are good when it comes to bows.

    As a sidenote: there are probably a ton of videos on youtube that shows off skills and how they work. Obviously you would have to test those skills yourself ingame to find out what you do like and what you dont like. Another thing: the subreddit is really helpful in choosing a build most of the times. It's a harsh and chaotic subreddit at times, but when it comes to new players usually 90% of the people on it are EXTREMELY helpful.

    When it comes to passive trees: that is usually where guides should come into play. Looking up skilltrees from different players that use different skills to see why and how they are building that way. This is usually where guides will help a lot, with keynode explanations most of the time.

    As Shaiandra said: most of the primary damage skills are available after act 3, with full access to ALL skills gems (besides Vaal Skillgems [which are basically just a standard skill gem with an additional empowered version that has a cooldown in form of souls], Portal, Enlighten/Empower/Enance) in either Act 3 after finishing up the library side quest OR Act 5 for clearing the twilight strand for Lily Roth.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

    M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

  19. #10539
    @Shaiandra @Darleth Yeah, thing is its still very much an "I need to soldier through this really boring stuff for however long until I get the opportunity to maybe start finding the fun". I've also just never understood what people find redeeming about limiting respec's so heavily.

    Honest question, do you guys like the skill system in this game?
    "I've carefully played this game to an endless despair"

  20. #10540
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    @Shaiandra @Darleth Yeah, thing is its still very much an "I need to soldier through this really boring stuff for however long until I get the opportunity to maybe start finding the fun". I've also just never understood what people find redeeming about limiting respec's so heavily.

    Honest question, do you guys like the skill system in this game?
    The game has 99 flaws, but the skill system isnt one.

    Its the problem with white knighting everything since forever because Diablo 3 hate.

    It allows GGG to never do impactful changes and only focus on getting new stuff out to get as much $$ in.

    There is a reason the last month all you hear in their interviews is "We need to rush PoE 4.0 and fix our shit game because D4 will destroy us" and its true.

    The average casual still prefers D3 season for a few weeks over even trying PoE and they know that.

    So they focus their attention into keeping the more "Wannabe hardcores" by adding complex mechanics repeatedly.

    Unless you are already familiar with ARPG or generally if you arent passively decent at games, PoE will give you hell.

    So yes, you either gonna sit and play the boring stuff and then sit down and read 1000 hours of mechanics/playstyle, or you are not gonna enjoy PoE.

    So, in order to keep this fake mentality of hardcoreness to the game, they refuse to do QoL changes that dont really affect the gameplay, because their whales will whine.

    And no company wants their whales leaving.

    Also you sound like you do the usual mistake of "I will play this ability".

    PoE doesnt work that way.

    Its more like:

    "Will i play MF, Ranged/Caster or Melee"

    "Will it be critical based or not?"

    After that, the majority of the builds are the same from like 60 to 90% because of the "big passives" in the tree.

    Thats when you choose a skill and tweak your build with the remaining points, but in order to reach that part, you must first fail a few leagues in a row.
    Last edited by potis; 2019-05-27 at 01:49 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •