Now that Cyclone is a channeling ability, have any of you guys tried weird combos for fun? Like adding raging skulls with channel support, or whirling blades?

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Now that Cyclone is a channeling ability, have any of you guys tried weird combos for fun? Like adding raging skulls with channel support, or whirling blades?
    Whirling blades + cyclone would be so fun if it works well.

Oh man it works with blade vortex, I feel like this should be a thing it just seems meant to be.
    Last edited by Baconeggcheese; 2019-06-13 at 03:35 AM.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post

Oh man it works with blade vortex, I feel like this should be a thing it just seems meant to be.
    I've been playing SSF and so the best I have to work with are 4-link gear so far. No tabula rasa yet either. I doubt any weird combos would be more effective than other support gems, but it does seem like it would be fun to play around with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post

I tried it with blade vortex...didn't really increase dps, since my cyclone has a MUCH larger AoE area than the blades, so they rarely hit anything. Then again, I wasn't really spec'd for it. Just tossed it into a slot to see how it worked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    Raging skulls would be fun but ineffective if you don't specialize in minions.

Whirling Blades doesn't work - it needs and attack (Cyclone) to support a spell, while WB is another attack.

I played a couple seasons ago a Cyclone/CastOnCrit/BladeVortex Scion, and it was awesome as hell. Literally shredding everything. Unfortunately they nerfed BV after that and it's less effective, but still works until as @endersblade said you have so much melee range that Cyclone hits stuff before the BV.

Anyway there are plenty of options still. If you go full physical you can use Ethereal Knives (you get a very nice jewel from a quest that make it shoot them all around you instead of a cone) or Bladefall, both are very good options. Otherwise you can use any good spell - Arc, Glacial Cascade, Firestorm, whatever fits your needs.

Only real directive with Cast on Crit/Channel is that you're not going to deal damage with Cyclone itself but basically mostly with the spell. Hence you should focus on spell/elemental/chaos damage nodes; if you go full physical it's better to look towards global physical dmg nodes, but still you need to focus on the spell damage and not on cyclone. Especially now that Cyclone is channeled, you don't even need to have an increase melee range/aoe because the casts are automatic while channeling even if you don't hit anything.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Why necro?
    I am trying things out. I am getting really into Delving and having a point spell(totem) along with SRS(Totem) they clear a way and I just hang back. As I drop them the Zombies, Spectres and Guardian move forward as well so I have a wall between me and the trash.

With elemental Equilibrium, I am playing with Lightning and cold as point so that when the SRS's get there they mop up with the 50% buff.

I have come to favor Arc though. It has a longer range and sometimes hits harder than Frostbolt. But FB has the pierce all and that is nice too lol.

I a

If you really want that CwC feeling and not screw yourself over with cyclone, run one the the Ngamahu's Flame builds out there.

Chieftain let's you hit 100% fire conversion, Flame doesn't need to be linked just 6 slotted, and there's soooo much phys damage and attack speed around the bottom of the tree.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Literally unable to play my character after the patch. I log on and it crashes my game. Can create new characters and log on lower characters just fine, but not my level 50 cyclone dude. GGG starting to cultivate a reputation for rushed content even when it's more fun content...not happy about that.
    BAD WOLF

Can anyone suggest starter builds that use shields?

I realized a while ago that I have never really played a character that uses a shield in poe. I want to try it. When I went to look for fun shield using specs, I found it extremely difficult to find any. Some older ones yes, but not for current patch....... do they even work? Is the reason why its difficult to find any because they are shitty specs?

Do I have to make one for myself? Not gonna get far with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Literally unable to play my character after the patch. I log on and it crashes my game. Can create new characters and log on lower characters just fine, but not my level 50 cyclone dude. GGG starting to cultivate a reputation for rushed content even when it's more fun content...not happy about that.
    I think it has less to do with content being rushed, but the overall mechanical changes that happened to the game.
    A lot of bugs and crashes come from channeled abilities and movement skills right now, mostly cyclone when it comes to channeling abilities, which is obvious since it's whole mechanic changed. In general, the whole animation canceling and queueing etc. introduced some bugs that they definitely have to fix asap. Obviously there are some crashes which come from legion encounters which also needs fixing. Overall though, the league isn't that bad compared to synthesis or betrayal or a lot of other leagues that had imbalances, overall issues and other things which really sucked the fun out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post

I realized a while ago that I have never really played a character that uses a shield in poe. I want to try it. When I went to look for fun shield using specs, I found it extremely difficult to find any. Some older ones yes, but not for current patch....... do they even work? Is the reason why its difficult to find any because they are shitty specs?

Hardcore builds might have some guides for you, since most builds in there use a shield for more defensive stats, as those are more important there than in standard for obvious reasons. If you are going for a melee build, you'll probably find some good builds that use shields and might be updated. Usually you can easily transform those into more softcore oriented builds easily, getting more damage instead of HP nodes etc.

You can definitely take a look at reave builds from HC. Those usually ended up being quite strong and defensive aswell. You can probably use other skills aswell quite easily with those builds, I'm just pointing out reave builds since those were pretty common for hardcore melee builds. Otherwise we can try to come up with something, shouldn't be too hard.
    Sometimes streaming on Twitch.tv, leave me a follow or a message if you like!

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    *tips m'fedora*

M'lady if you would be so kind to slob me knob seeing as I held this door open for you.

They need to add a month to their seasonal dev schedule. They're trying to do too much with too little.

Ok, finished the story, 3/4 labs done and started mapping. It seems i consistently find multiple league mechanioncs in very single map for interesting combos (like zana mission, enter that and in the boss room there were 4/5 of the beasts to capture for Einhar).

Anyway, where should i go on the tree now? All the basic stuff is covered - being 70-ish means i have at lest another 10-12 points easy to get and the build is done (i don't think i'll every get past 90). Accepting suggestions. Current tooltip damage on VS is around 11k.

LINKYLINK (playing the Slayer)
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I know that the gloves were not meant for my Witch but DAMN I love the Shadows and Dust Rampage gloves lol. My zombies and SRSs upfront wrecking mobs me in the back watching corpses explode and weapons whirling all around. It has done me very well in Delving and the only way I die there is a mysterious oneshot out of nowhere. I could be in a clear patch of area, nothing around me enemies dealing with zombies and BOOM I am DED.....

Working on building a Cold resist set as that seems to be what most of those mobs are and hope that helps.

Could just roll with any dw build and swap the off hand for a shield. Repick the tree nodes accordingly, there are decent shield points. You're just sacrificing some attack speed for w/e the shield will give.

The question now is, are you going to invest in block chance?
    Last edited by kail; 2019-06-15 at 06:38 PM.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I have come to a bad conclusion.........

I am addicted to making Rare maps even if I dont need to. It is soo much fun to wipe out so many mobs with my Army, but not so fun losing millions in XP when I die >.<

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    Could just roll with any dw build and swap the off hand for a shield. Repick the tree nodes accordingly, there are decent shield points. You're just sacrificing some attack speed for w/e the shield will give.

The question now is, are you going to invest in block chance?
    I have no idea about shields. I just want to be able to stand against whatever bosses and facetank most of them or at least up to some relevant point.

Honestly. I tried looking for hc specs too, but gave up. I may try your suggestion some time with switching dw spec offhand to shield.

I have no idea about shields. I just want to be able to stand against whatever bosses and facetank most of them or at least up to some relevant point.

Honestly. I tried looking for hc specs too, but gave up. I may try your suggestion some time with switching dw spec offhand to shield.
    My SSF run is a ranger using a shield with cyclone. It's mostly facetank so far, but I'm not even to mapping yet.

Well if you want to facetank, I would think og looking at Juggernaut or Gladiator or Champion and Guardian to start. These are all sword n board classes. With getting into shields, I would start looking at https://www.poebuilds.cc/. There are several build guides on how to setup your shield spec and what works best with them.

Just my own thoughts here on how to start lol. I am doing this for my new melee class. Deciding on shields or not too

Could you link one?

I looked trough that site, but all the ones I looked into were 2h builds. I did see a few dw builds that I may try with shield at some point.

Since I have never made any shield characters, I have no idea about gems that use shields. What passives there are. Just how much tankier they make you. I think, if I start making one myself, it would... work. At least until mapping, but I think it wont be good.

I'd need some reference point with actual build intended for shields.

Could you link one?
    Since I have never made any shield characters, I have no idea about gems that use shields. What passives there are. Just how much tankier they make you. I think, if I start making one myself, it would... work. At least until mapping, but I think it wont be good.

I'd need some reference point with actual build intended for shields.
    The beauty of PoE is that the gems to not matter per slot per se, it is more about how they fit your playstyle. The shield is used for block and spell/Attack defense the gems you put in it do not matter.

The Gems are more about what build style you are going for for instance this is a
    Shield Charge build
    Then there is Jugg Molten Strike or
    Reave Champion - Sword and Shield or
    Tanky Templar with Max Block

I would say start there and then decide on how you want to take it.