Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Trying to get a bloody name that isn't already taken.
    Simple trick I use when I run out of names is I put silent d in front of the name (ala Django). PoE is very nice when it comes to names because you can start your name with small letters and go big letters after that. So if you want Lysah, dLysah "the Lysah" ... works better if you have both Lysah and dLysah though

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Flimsy View Post
    Almost downloaded it now, Any tips on what class to play first as a newbie to the game?
    Just find a guide. I know my first character Im playing now (Cold Witch) are as perfect as I can have it. Few things could be changed, but overall I do all right, cause off a helpfull guide. Nothing wrong with getting abit of help, if you dont mind the spoilers.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Deleted
    Worst part of Path of Exile so far:

Trying to get a bloody name that isn't already taken.
    I have that problem with almost every game, so I named mine SuperMegaMarauder....

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjarn View Post
    I have that problem with almost every game, so I named mine SuperMegaMarauder....
    Awesome name! And I haven't had nearly this issue in other games, this is one of the worst naming experiences I've ever been through.

Awesome name! And I haven't had nearly this issue in other games, this is one of the worst naming experiences I've ever been through.
    Probably because there are 24 char slots per account and no limits on the amount of accounts you can have...i got the one i wanted but that's because i was in close beta

I vote the worst attack on mobs inn this game: Flicker strike.

Makes you unable to run trough places with mobs that has it. And it can't be avoided as the mobs range is pretty big, and it just bloody hurts. Really sick that mobs has a teleport with damage.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

The game is currently in open beta, how is this going to work when they decide to release the final version of the game? will we lose our characters/progress?
    Open beta is functionally, release. There will be no more wipes of any kind.

For all intents and purposes, Path of Exile is released.

Woot that's great then I might download the game. How does this game compare with D3 and Torchlight 2?
    The trump card and aspect the developers are banking on with Path of Exile is depth.

I wouldn't say POE plays as marvelously smooth as either Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2. And the game does lack thoughtful supporting systems such as Diablo 3's personal loot or TL2's smart item filtering.

To say POE is a "throwback" isn't entirely correct. It's not an overly nostalgic game by any means. However, the devs are intent on delivering a very specific type of game. One that is aiming for a very complex, mathy, number crunching game for those that were happy to grind for 12 years of Diablo 2.

Won't find a lot of flash in POE. Indeed, you won't even find a lot "polish" or mass market accessibility either. Yet looking for those things is slightly misplaced in a game that means to thrill by adding +8% maximum life to your spreadsheet.

Though not the quintessential ARPG, that honor still belongs to Diablo 2, in gameplay I do believe Path of Exile to be the finest game produced in the genre.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-03 at 03:17 PM.

Damn figuring out this game on the run!

I've made 2 chars, 1 templar and 1 CI dagger shadow, and it's fakin impossible to solo stuff on my shadow (at a pace that is faster than 1 mob per minute at ~53-55 when I am 58).

I decided to make the templar to farm some gear for the shadow, hopefully I wont go apeshit because of my decision to run with another melee :F Templar can take much more than my shadow, but it's still slow farming even in cruel. Need dem drops!

Pretty much need to know how the gearing system works exactly to run CI well. Or have a lot of wealth to buy items from noobs unaware of item value or the vets selling CI items for a hefty $.

Invalesco is one of the top POE build crafters. He has a great guide on a Dagger Shadow; http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/42623

He is currently playing a revised version on Hardcore. Most agree he is a beast.

Slightly old but;

Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-03 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    He is currently playing a revised version on in Hardcore. Most agree he is a beast.
    Why do I not have these items =(

Deleted
    Thanks for the info guys iv installed the game and tried a couple of classes out. It feels really good I can see it being really fun the more you get into the game. The only thing I dont like so far is the map system, it feels a bit outdated and looks pretty bad. Other than that Im just going to get a feel for the classes and then start leveling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aye, I tried to make a character called "Allthegoodnamesaretaken"....
    but someone had taken it.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Aye, I tried to make a character called "Allthegoodnamesaretaken"....
    but someone had taken it.
    This made me giggle.

Although I got my main name no problem, I've now rerolled and don't want to delete it so had to think of a second one... and now I have to think of a third one, argh..

Here is a trick I learned for making names. Say 'Durga' and 'Skuld', two mythological names that I like are taken, I'll combine them into 'Skuldurga' which has a much smaller chance to be taken. And I collect a list on a notepad of obscure names that are rarely taken but still sound cool like 'Muqarribun' which I believe is arabic for necromancer.

I'll also collect name fragments and combine them. For instance 'gwen' which I think means white/fair/blessed and Tuuli which means wind can become 'Gwentuuli'.

Deleted
    I just type random stuff and it usually turns out good. :3

10+ Year Old Account
    Been playing for several days now and reached level 52. Fire witch[fireball + lesser multiple projectiles].

I have to say... The skill system is amusing. I mean you can make a Totem of teleportation by putting
    a totem support gem together with Lighting Warp. A totem... that spams teleport.... it makes no sense
    but looks amazing.

I wonder what happens if you put a Trap + Totem support gems for a Teleport. Does it leave a trap which
    spawns a totem that spams teleport...? I need to find an item with the correct gem slots to test this out!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by juzalol View Post
    Been playing for several days now and reached level 52. Fire witch[fireball + lesser multiple projectiles].

I have to say... The skill system is amusing. I mean you can make a Totem of teleportation by putting
    a totem support gem together with Lighting Warp. A totem... that spams teleport.... it makes no sense
    but looks amazing.

I wonder what happens if you put a Trap + Totem support gems for a Teleport. Does it leave a trap which
    spawns a totem that spams teleport...? I need to find an item with the correct gem slots to test this out!
    I want a totem with leapstrike! That would be amazing. I would totally build a 2-totem build, both with leapstrike, and never be able to progress past any decent level =D

A spell totem only cast the spell(s) you cast it with.

For example, if you link Spell Totem + Lightning Warp + Fireball + Ethereal Knives-- the totem will only cast the spell you initiated the cast with. Not all 3. But by virtue of linking all 3 to a single totem one can cast a totem with either Lightning Warp, Fireball or Ethereal Knives at their choosing and as warranted.

Lightning Warp totems are actually quite useful. The teleport does do damage and the totem itself draws aggro.

So something like, Lightning Warp + Increase Area of Effect + Faster Casting would create an aggro drawing totem that damages and teleports around the area. It would also be applying a debuff to mobs as they try to chase the totem.

So yea, even a teleporting totem can be used smartly.

---------- Post added 2013-02-03 at 01:18 PM ----------

Oh god. Didn't get the waypoint in Solaris Temple. DC'd on the second floor.

;_; * a million.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    This made me giggle.

Although I got my main name no problem, I've now rerolled and don't want to delete it so had to think of a second one... and now I have to think of a third one, argh..
    it's funny because it's true .

Thankfully I got my usual "Main" name Talyn_Rahl, but all my backup names were taken, ended up calling my ranger Swift_shot... I felt dirty. I was pleasantly surprised to find "Necronomicon" was free for my Witch, it was only when I got to about level 25 that I realised I'd forgotten the I, so I'm now Necronomcon... or Necro nom nom as my friends have taken to calling me... fuckers...
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Great, game crashed at Piety............

Gota find a new group now, oh god.