Page 4 of 768 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    How is the marauder? Im yet to try it but I made which is ready to go as soon as I get bored of my Necromatic ranger shadow.

May have to go with an intended build tho because I see it falling off further into the game. The bow abilties are very close but what its lacking is survabilty which im getting from Energy shields and the talents to improve that are just out of reach. Melee is easy but Ranged will most likely be a problem later on.

Might make another shadow and go claws...
    Marauder is good. Pretty simple class to start off. They get interesting once they can reach skills like Resolute Technique, Blood Magic or Iron Grip.

Energy Shield reliant builds are pretty problematic in that during Act 2 Merc and Maps many mobs ignore ES with chaos damage. So you sorta are forced to play with a tank if you are a ES Shadow or Ranger at higher difficulties.

I made it to 58~ as an ES ranger and it was definitely not worth the effort. Evade/ES gear wasn't enough to avoid a 1-shot. Pure ES gear became out of reach due to Int reqs and pure Evade gear was a guaranteed 1-shot if you were hit... which you will be because spells never miss.

Shadow actually made a better archer than a Ranger previously. The old tree offered more elemental damage and critical strike passives than a Ranger could reach. With a high IAS bow and cold damage a bow Shadow was able to perma freeze half the map... off screen.

I tried to recreate the bow Shadow in the new tree. It looks promising but lacks about half the crit and crit multiplier of the previous tree.

Full build plan: http://tinyurl.com/d2bm8er

got to agree with you fencers...the skill tree is to constricted in choices atm, although the actual start areas are fine and do what they set out to do it seems that certain skills and keystones need moved about....one the other beta testers have been going on about is moving blood magic to the center node...i'm sure there are others that could do with moving.
    Fairly sure that the last tree went through several iterations so not all hope is lost

Wow, Just tried a DW Shadow and getting hit like a truck. Until what level does this ease out?

Um, never? Shadow is made of paper. They don't pick up many Str and HP nodes in their side of the tree compared to the other classes. Will need Evade/ES gear if you want to play a Shadow straight DW.

I would suggest giving up a bit of damage as a Shadow and investing in some the Witch's easy access ES nodes. It'll delay your build well into Ruthless but there is no way to survive unless you come up with an unorthodox build. Iron Reflexes used to help but they changed it...

One thing I will say for PoE is that the game is not easy by any stretch. At endgame you will die.

Deleted
    Updated Open Beta Date Information:
    I'm sorry that we're delaying the start of Open Beta (again), though as much as I want to see it released, I would much rather release a high quality product.
    Makes me sad

At least I can test a bit in 2 days at the public stresstest weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Faklor View Post
    Updated Open Beta Date Information:

Makes me sad

At least I can test a bit in 2 days at the public stresstest weekend.
    Well tbh...i'd rather they delayed it and got what they need/want to do with the game done and release a nice polished product.
    And you don't NEED to wait...you could splash a bit of money to gain access or you might get picked randomly for beta access provided you've signed up.
    What a lot of ppl seem to have been doing is using their d3 rmah sales to purchase starter packs...would be a nice pole to see the results

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I was looking at videos of PoE today and the map runes that you can use to open zones up to farm or something is very intriguing. The skill tree looks very similar to Final Fantasy X. The sockets on the items resemble the materia system from FF7, or that is what it looks very much like. With the upcoming stress test this weekend, I'm definitely going to try it out and will likely buy a starter pack after.
    Last edited by obake1; 2012-07-26 at 05:17 AM.

You actually level up the gems in the weapons/armor just as Materia in FF7.

The system only look overwhelming but the core concepts are easy to grasp after a few minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never have I spent less time when considering a 'Buy-A-Beta'-offer. This game intrigued the shit out of me ^^

And just like on all games with a ranged class, I'll start with the ranger and ignore any and every advice given. Learning from mistakes is what ARPGs are all about, eh?

Edit: Decided to check out the Passive Tree while the downloader did its business. Tree pops up, I stare for a bit and hover some. Then I smiled. Then I discovered it can be dragged. Mind=Blown!
    Last edited by Calzaeth; 2012-07-26 at 05:49 AM.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Who's playing 2 week race?
    Playing Path of Exile and Guild Wars 2

No doubt Muffinman will win... again.

Just got my arse handed to me by the new act 2 boss on my ranger...that was a fun fight :P 10 times dead or more...thank fuck for portal scrolls.
    Question to any of the rangers...dose the keystone to convert your evasion to armor help any on spell damage? or chaos damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Just got my arse handed to me by the new act 2 boss on my ranger...that was a fun fight :P 10 times dead or more...thank fuck for portal scrolls.
    Question to any of the rangers...dose the keystone to convert your evasion to armor help any on spell damage? or chaos damage?
    Armor is similar to Diablo I believe where its a flat damage reduction, Im sure theres also a talent to allow us to actually dodge spells too. (Correct me if im wrong only been in beta for 2 weeks) Other than that, We're supposed to be squishy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyriok View Post
    Armor is similar to Diablo I believe where its a flat damage reduction, Im sure theres also a talent to allow us to actually dodge spells too. (Correct me if im wrong only been in beta for 2 weeks) Other than that, We're supposed to be squishy.
    yeah...already have the passive for projectile evasion...dosn't help much at all...was considering the armor conversion over evasion because even with 700+ evasion(about40%) i still get hit a lot so the straight damage reduction sounds good.

yeah...already have the passive for projectile evasion...dosn't help much at all...was considering the armor conversion over evasion because even with 700+ evasion(about40%) i still get hit a lot so the straight damage reduction sounds good.
    What skills are you using? Personally I have raise zombie so I have two zombie tanks at all times, Lightning arrow and poisen arrow for AoE. Ruptere(I think) for single target and a frost quiver, Fairly easy for me but im only 80% through act 2.

Nope! Spells always hit unless you have spell avoidance keystones. Chaos damage can only be reduced by a % via passive abilities or full immunity via Inoculation. Be warned, Inoculation makes it so you have a permanent 1 HP globe.

Armor = physical damage reduction
    Resistance per element = damage reduction from that specific element (fire, cold, lightning). Cap is 75% w/o tank passives
    Evasion = Chance to dodge non-spells, take no damage

Spells always hit. Wands deal physical damage and require accuracy.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2012-07-27 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Nope! Spells always hit unless you have spell avoidance keystones. Chaos damage can only be reduced by a % via passive abilities or full immunity via Inoculation. Be warned, Inoculation makes it so you have a permanent 1 HP globe.
    Wow, That totally is not worth it.. I suppose you then could stack energy shield to be a new HP globe.

For Chaos Inoculation? Yes, that's how it work ideally- forgo HP entirely and focus on ES. Energy Shield is gained in massive amounts late game. So it's using ES as a HP globe exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    For Chaos Inoculation? Yes, that's how it work ideally- forgo HP entirely and focus on ES. Energy Shield is gained in massive amounts late game. So it's using ES as a HP globe exactly.
    How much do you actually rely on the passive tree for DPS? I've been thinking about going pure tank build but require dps still since i'll be soloing till release.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...pqKOo7bj-JG-3c

Is a tanky build I made quickly, Shame we can't properly test things like this. Maybe they'll allow us to make max level characters to actually test the content and tree completly.
    Last edited by Lyriok; 2012-07-27 at 02:27 AM.

For Ranger or Witch? Not sure what we are talking about.