I'm not really a fan of ARPG's but looking at the skill tree gives me butterfly's in my stomach due to the excitement, only played for about an hour and really enjoying it. Reminds me of the old days when games where more complex and you actually had to think about what your doing.

I just wish there was character customization (Skyrim style)

The game mechanics are quite unique (with the gems as skills) its quite exciting when you find one and makes you think about what others are out there.
    Last edited by Toccs; 2013-01-25 at 09:57 AM.

I got to level 30 with my ranged duelist that shoots magic arrows

I'm in front of the act 2 boss, he's a bit tough.

I see that they are gifting stash tabs for supporters that bought 5 or more during the closed beta...and that they are giving item effects to those that managed to delete them despite there being a clear warning for both methods, very good customer support it must be said.
    Even though i'd qualify for an extra tab i'm not going to bother them with reclaiming it and it seems many share that view.
    And apperently there was a load of people buying diamond supporter packs before the game went down for the patch.

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73523

and the inside story on the launch from the lead dev

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73903

They finally got some server capacity added, downloading at 1.5 MB/s at last!

10+ Year Old Account
    I started PoE yesterday and created a templar, since i was going for something similar to D2's paladin.

Nice atmosphere, but when in comparison to said game, the attack speed is soo slow. Initial passive skill choosing is also a bit annoying since it forces to make a choice early on ( 2h or 1h focus).

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    I started PoE yesterday and created a templar, since i was going for something similar to D2's paladin.

Nice atmosphere, but when in comparison to said game, the attack speed is soo slow. Initial passive skill choosing is also a bit annoying since it forces to make a choice early on ( 2h or 1h focus).
    Early game is slow...feels a hell of a lot better later on...should have been a beta tester at high level then try running through at the start...it feels soooo bad :P

The game really centers around picking what you want to do, have a look at the skill gems that you will be able to use(Templar usually int or str gems) pick the attacks you want find out what weapons are required then build your passive tree around it.
    I know with marauder you can avoid restrictions like 1 hand or 2 hand but then it comes down to mace axe or sword which most nodes are kind enough not to differentiate between 1 or 2 hand.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I played a minion Witch in hardcore up to level 71. Died. But continued on to level 76, iirc, by the last day.

Was able to solo every endgame Map, any mods sans blood magic up to level 68.

My core build was: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-s...0Qf8ae1YGydVgb

@ level 60. The new chaos resist talents didn't exist at the time. Once the core build is filled you are free to spec into ANY element or alternate path you like; more defense, physical dps wand, elemental wands, full support, melee summoner, knife & fork, dual totem, frost totems, wand totems, etc. Anything works after the core is filled out.

I personally used lightning + max cast speed as it was the highest elemental damage possible at the time. However, I did respec the build a few times to see if it worked with wands [both elemental and physical], cold damage and dual totems. No difficulty with any combination in solo or group endgame play.
    Hm, you went with a minion build so to speak. I might try that since I enjoy having the minions.

As for damage, I'm going frost spells atm, combined with some fire. I got Frost Pulse(throws an ice pulse), Ice Sparkle(it's like an ice missile that does more damage the further it goes), Firestorm and Fireball. The other two are zombies and skeletons and I'm missing a spell atm, nothing good for the time being.

The end game build you linked is pretty nice too. I'll probably go with that on my second witch.

And oh, Chaos Inoculation. I still don't know if that's good or not because some times I take damage when my shield is up and my hp kinda drops instead of my shield. So having 1 hp seems bad lol.

But is it only chaos damage that bypasses energy shields or? I don't know this stuff really well. ._.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyssa View Post
    Look over your resists, makes a huge difference.
    I have like 0 I think...

I don't know why but I'm not the kind of person to go build resistances.

I'm still a newbie so go figure, I'm hoping this to be fixed after my third character or second.

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I have like 0 I think...

I don't know why but I'm not the kind of person to go build resistances.

I'm still a newbie so go figure, I'm hoping this to be fixed after my third character or second.
    There isn't such thing as "a build that doesn't go resistances", at least a half decent one anyway. The difference between no resists (0% in normal, lower in later difficulties) and capped resists (75% baseline) means you'll be taking 4 times more damage without any resists, and again more in later difficulties. You have to get resistances if you want to live.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

How is the chat system / online community in PoE? I feel in modern online games, its a requirement to provide strong social tools, with a vibrant community, lots of talking. It should be highly active. How is PoE?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Early game is slow...feels a hell of a lot better later on...should have been a beta tester at high level then try running through at the start...it feels soooo bad :P

The game really centers around picking what you want to do, have a look at the skill gems that you will be able to use(Templar usually int or str gems) pick the attacks you want find out what weapons are required then build your passive tree around it.
    I know with marauder you can avoid restrictions like 1 hand or 2 hand but then it comes down to mace axe or sword which most nodes are kind enough not to differentiate between 1 or 2 hand.
    Cant really choose a definite path when one moment you're using a 2 hander and the next thing i just killed Mervail and picked up a better 1hand, thus losing my only AoE ability ground slam. Now im killing monkeys in the forest by combining Molten Shell explosion with cold snap.

That's another thing i dislike in PoE. When you use casts, your toon actually stops to cast them

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    Cant really choose a definite path when one moment you're using a 2 hander and the next thing i just killed Mervail and picked up a better 1hand, thus losing my only AoE ability ground slam. Now im killing monkeys in the forest by combining Molten Shell explosion with cold snap.
    Or you can stash the 1-hander for another character and continue with your 2-hander build? I'm not seeing the issue. Would you have done the same if Mervail dropped a wand, claw or bow?

I saw somewhere video when guy was playing with open ladder tab up right corner near the minimap. When I type /ladder I see only list in chat. Is this feature ingame or from other sources (mods?)?

Quote Originally Posted by Mamut View Post
    I saw somewhere video when guy was playing with open ladder tab up right corner near the minimap. When I type /ladder I see only list in chat. Is this feature ingame or from other sources (mods?)?
    I would assume its an overlay, I dont know any other ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by icylock View Post
    Gamon spends more time of his knees and back than haris pilton...

I love this game, map looks quite...well, bad, but other that that, my only gripe are the attack animations, that I have found no way of stopping once i started the attack, so kiting anything with ranger was pretty hard, even with slow zombies and stuff. otherwise some really nice stuff.

Got an awesome summoner-2hander for my summoner witch. (This never happens in D3 )

Now I need to get more strength and dexterity so I can equip the damn thing.
    Last edited by Dezerte; 2013-01-25 at 04:48 PM.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I don't get all the excitement over this game. It looks 10 years old, but I can get over that I guess, but the game play is just a massive AoE-fest. What am I missing here?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Or you can stash the 1-hander for another character and continue with your 2-hander build? I'm not seeing the issue. Would you have done the same if Mervail dropped a wand, claw or bow?
    Well first im not planning on playing other characters. So seeing that the 1 hander was simply a considerable dps increase i don't see a reason to keep the 2hander.

That and you don't really reach a point where you're like "ok this is what i want to do", since there's so much diversity. That said, when i don't fully grasp something, i end up going for a balance, which is basicly what im doing with the passive skills tree.

Im level 18 and started out by going for the strength passives (increase HP, STR etc), but at one point i went up to get some from the Int tree like mana regen, increase mana, increase aoe radius.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    I don't know why the announcements of hardcore deaths on the ladder are so exciting.

A few of the top ladder players died this evening. Including the #1 guy on the ladder who died liked 15 mins ago. It was thrilling! lol
    Can you explain what this means? What sort of ladder? How does it work?

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    I don't get all the excitement over this game. It looks 10 years old, but I can get over that I guess, but the game play is just a massive AoE-fest. What am I missing here?
    The visual fidelity differences between this and say, D3 or TL2 aren't that significant. 10 years old is stretching it quite far, and remember, this is an indie studio with a very small team and a limited budget, as well as a team of people who haven't all worked on games or AAA games before.

How does the gameplay look like a massive AoE-fest btw? Just curious.

What you're missing, is probably the deepest character progression system an ARPG has seen to date, with gameplay that reinforces a more hardcore playstyle and provides a challenge to players. If you want to super duper ultra short 1 sentence answer.

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusher View Post
    How does the gameplay look like a massive AoE-fest btw? Just curious.
    Because all you do is run around spamming your AoE abilities until you reach a boss. It's boring.