Quote Originally Posted by Papapwn View Post
    I see 0 incentive to play a game like path of exiles. Whats the point of grinding good gear when its worth nothing?

In d3 atleast if you found something awesome you would get a lot of gold -> Money. So the hunt for finding those good items was there.
    Let me introduce you to this thing called RL where you get much higher money/hour ratio than in any game. Enjoy.

---------- Post added 2013-01-28 at 09:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    I mean that kinda says it all there. The other two titles that have been released for 1/3 of the price point and 100% of the price point are equally as good if not better than the 60 dollar AAA title from the major developer with history, resources, technical ability and proven track record. At this point D3 will likely have to have an expansion to get to the point that POE is now. Question is what do you think the GGG guys will add to the game now and between beta and eventually further down the road? What directions can you take arpg gaming in? or is it kinda just set in place?
    To be fair Blizz is not above just copy&pasting what they see others do. They have a hard time coming up with new stuff, but they do know how to implement what others came up with ... PoE can only help D3.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Repefe View Post

To be fair Blizz is not above just copy&pasting what they see others do. They have a hard time coming up with new stuff, but they do know how to implement what others came up with ... PoE can only help D3.
    They haven't even really done that in awhile though. I mean they couldn't be arsed to copy rifts rift events or gw2 for dynaimc questing bs. I guess they copied pokemon in wow but that's about it. I mean I hope PoE helps d3. I hope it shows them that the d2 model has some legs left in it still as long as you remain true to it. By the same token though I kinda have to ask where do we go from here? Is their anything new that can be done with the genre? does anything new need to be done with it?

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Connection issues? It's ok it's not blizz

Graphics not up to par? It's ok it's not blizz

Always online? it's ok it's not blizz.

Designed for hardcore players? It's ok it's not blizz.

Loot systems not perfect? it's ok it's not blizz

Gear farm end game? it's ok it's not blizz.

Almost everything that someone has complained about in D3 is going on here be people are saying it's ok/great.

---------- Post added 2013-01-27 at 08:33 PM ----------

They went from a predicted 3.5 mil in the first year to 4.5 mil in the first day....
    I'm guessing it has to do with two major factors. Blizzard being a billion dollar company and the quality of the game. Considering GGG have delivered pretty much what people wanted D3 to be but with some real nice features such as the talent/skill system and on a shoestring budget; people understand and accept those issues.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyIommi View Post
    They haven't even really done that in awhile though. I mean they couldn't be arsed to copy rifts rift events or gw2 for dynaimc questing bs. I guess they copied pokemon in wow but that's about it. I mean I hope PoE helps d3. I hope it shows them that the d2 model has some legs left in it still as long as you remain true to it. By the same token though I kinda have to ask where do we go from here? Is their anything new that can be done with the genre? does anything new need to be done with it?
    Yeah, that's the tingling sensation I have in the back of my head. Applying the well known Blizz polish the story/itemization in D3 shouldn't be this bad. Avoiding the dynamic questing I can understand, it's a hard feature to implement well and something future games will have to solve the hard way. Blizz does not want to take that risk.

And I think there is plenty of where we can go from here. Focus more on interaction between players, mix more pvp into it, dynamic quests, clan systems

Quote Originally Posted by Jeleh View Post
    I'm guessing it has to do with two major factors. Blizzard being a billion dollar company and the quality of the game. Considering GGG have delivered pretty much what people wanted D3 to be but with some real nice features such as the talent/skill system and on a shoestring budget; people understand and accept those issues.
    @Slozon;
    Connection issues: Shit ye, I don't care. Why? Because it's an Indie corp. that had to deal with a massive increase in players over the weekend. Blizzard can easily invest money in weekend support by their server hosting, an Indie corp can't just buy in such expensive support. They have done great! And regardless, a queue is still a 100 times better than error 37, error 14001 or whatever and all those other connection failure errors that popped up. Blizzard flunked, GGG responded. Rift had the same issues, at launch, Trion communicated, Trion fixed it, Trion is still my nr.1 in terms of how things are meant to be fixed. GGG closing in on them.

Graphics not on par? What are you smoking? The graphics are sublime. It's iconic, if that's what you want to hear. It's just as iconic as World of Warcraft. PoE manages to perfectly capture the spirit of D2 and tranform that into D3.5. I would have said D2.5 before the release of D3, but it has become clear to me that it requires a lack of pressure from predecessors to come to greatness, which is what GGG had and Blizzard didn't have. And Blizzard failed to capture me with their Gold > items system.

Always online is not a DRM. In contrary to what people apparently want to think, being online is what this game is about. Having a single player modus would have been fine, but the ARPG genre is first and foremost meant to be enjoyed with other people.

How is the game designed for hardcore players? I'm a casual player. You know what casual means? I don't have the time to play more than 3 hours a day. I have work, I need to clean my house, I need to buy groceries and I need to entertain friends and family. Casual is not the same thing as being bad. PoE does not cater to bad players. And I'm happy for it.

The loot system is perfect. Everything has RNG, but nothing is underpowered without perfect rolls. You're not selling everything you find. Most things are valuable to alts or your current character in some way. Gold is the one thing that Blizzard did wrong. D2 was about item trading. D3 became about real money and gold exchange and item drop rates were balanced around the AH. In PoE, item drops are balanced around the thrill of finding items, which is the essential CORE of the ARPG genre.

D3 did most things wrong. PoE does most things right.

Watching the Open Beta Trailer (The only thing I've really seen about it) this game does look good, but I feel there are some things that are too similar to Diablo.

Looking at the User Interface for one, it was almost identical. The way elite monsters are shown is identical, but don't get me wrong, I think this game looks amazing. I think this takes the Dungeon-Crawler Theme to a new level, as this does look very well polished.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    @Slozon;
    Connection issues: Shit ye, I don't care. Why? Because it's an Indie corp. that had to deal with a massive increase in players over the weekend. Blizzard can easily invest money in weekend support by their server hosting, an Indie corp can't just buy in such expensive support. They have done great! And regardless, a queue is still a 100 times better than error 37, error 14001 or whatever and all those other connection failure errors that popped up. Blizzard flunked, GGG responded. Rift had the same issues, at launch, Trion communicated, Trion fixed it, Trion is still my nr.1 in terms of how things are meant to be fixed. GGG closing in on them.

Graphics not on par? What are you smoking? The graphics are sublime. It's iconic, if that's what you want to hear. It's just as iconic as World of Warcraft. PoE manages to perfectly capture the spirit of D2 and tranform that into D3.5. I would have said D2.5 before the release of D3, but it has become clear to me that it requires a lack of pressure from predecessors to come to greatness, which is what GGG had and Blizzard didn't have. And Blizzard failed to capture me with their Gold > items system.

Always online is not a DRM. In contrary to what people apparently want to think, being online is what this game is about. Having a single player modus would have been fine, but the ARPG genre is first and foremost meant to be enjoyed with other people.

How is the game designed for hardcore players? I'm a casual player. You know what casual means? I don't have the time to play more than 3 hours a day. I have work, I need to clean my house, I need to buy groceries and I need to entertain friends and family. Casual is not the same thing as being bad. PoE does not cater to bad players. And I'm happy for it.

The loot system is perfect. Everything has RNG, but nothing is underpowered without perfect rolls. You're not selling everything you find. Most things are valuable to alts or your current character in some way. Gold is the one thing that Blizzard did wrong. D2 was about item trading. D3 became about real money and gold exchange and item drop rates were balanced around the AH. In PoE, item drops are balanced around the thrill of finding items, which is the essential CORE of the ARPG genre.

D3 did most things wrong. PoE does most things right.
    If you're comparing an indie corp to a big name developer in standards then you have to put the amount of players each game had in perspective. PoE got 70 000 in a queue. Diablo 3 had millions ramming their way into a login server. Queues wouldn't have mattered in D3's case. Do you honestly think players seeing themselves in queue place 900 000 would have helped any in terms of nerdrage? Doubt it. Also, Error 37 pretty much disappeared after the few days. People keep acting like it's been like that for months.

Graphics are purely subjective. I didn't like the blurriness of D3 (had to use the DarkD3 mod). But I don't particularly like PoE's graphic style or their aesthetic choices. I don't like how armour pieces look ugly on your character and the animations of the characters are pretty poor in my opinion. Also, I hate the huge amount of projectiles I sometimes see while playing with people. Sparks, waves, lightning, all sorts of crap flying all over the screen obscuring my view in an epileptic shitstorm.

You could've fooled me with the always online isn't a DRM thing. People were acting like their life was ruined when D3 had no offline mode. Saying how they had LAN parties and that was ruined etc.

Hardcore/casual has little meaning in both games. Anyone can play any amount of time they wish. It's not like their progress is going anywhere unless it's a hardcore death.

Loot system isn't perfect in either game. In D3 it's crap stats (which is really bad of course). In PoE it's the shared loot system and (imo) the lack of unified currency. It pisses me off when someone grabs an item off a monster I killed and was either too busy or too distracted (by all the AoE effects usually). I also have no idea what people want in terms of trading either. It's like people expect me to be clairvoyant of what items they want from me.

70.000 players online is not the same as 70.000 in a queue, but everything stands or falls with server capacity. What I'm talking about is scaling. Blizzard has 12 to 15mil fans, so they knew they had to anticipate for a few million. PoE had only their loyal (us) fanbase to expect and open beta is actually partially meant to find out what the server loads would become like. The fact that everything happened during the weekend simply meant they couldn't scale as well as a triple A publisher that could simply buy weekend support. Make no mistake, employment fees are the biggest chunk of costs for any company. Buying weekend support is costly. Shipping in new servers during the weekend, double costly. I think GGG communicated well, they explained everything as far as they could and they have corrected most issues by now. Annoying as it is, Blizzard should have known better, GGG did better. That said, I actually don't blame either of them as much as some do. And the error lasted a 5 days, not just 2 or 3. The queue went up to 30.000 during peak hours, but never reached 70k.

Graphics, indeed, subjective. I didn't bring it up. I just commented on the fact that I like them.

People that acted like their lives were ruined are idiots. Said so back then, saying so now.

I don't get where the hardcore comment comes from either. I just commented on it.

Loot is perfect. Except for party loot. But the loot system and the loot that drops, pretty perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    There is another monkey boss in Sarn, right after you kill Vaal. He's like between the houses. Enjoys ambushing you with BEAR TRAP and million monkey helpers. >_>

Had to alt f4 out of that mess.
    :P not playing in hard core but i saw him...quite fun.
    Actual had someone on the forums demanding that traps be more visible because of this, wouldn't be much of a trap then would it

Anyone know a streamer like Wingsofdeath in League? One that actually gives advice or one that actually talks to the viewers?

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    Anyone know a streamer like Wingsofdeath in League? One that actually gives advice or one that actually talks to the viewers?
    http://www.youtube.com/kripparrian
    http://www.twitch.tv/nl_kripp

Have to say that this is one of the few new games I manage to enjoy immensely from the beginning. I just love how far you can go with customizing your character regardless of class.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Again justify your double standards all you want. Fact remains they are double standards

He's the exact opposite of wings, more like dyrus. I doubt he even has ever glanced at his twitch chat let alone answer any questions.

I see 0 incentive to play a game like path of exiles. Whats the point of grinding good gear when its worth nothing?

In d3 atleast if you found something awesome you would get a lot of gold -> Money. So the hunt for finding those good items was there.

Say what you want about the d3 AH, but without any currency ingame...everything has no value and i see no reason to play the game once completed.
    Most people have real life jobs to earn money, and gaming then becomes a way to relax and escape.. gaming for real life money unless you're a pro gamer
    is just really really sad..
    Last edited by Himora; 2013-01-28 at 12:38 PM.

He's the exact opposite of wings, more like dyrus. I doubt he even has ever glanced at his twitch chat let alone answer any questions.
    I don't particualry like Wings ... he tends to make so many excuses while playing; always somebody elses fault when he is losing. So being opposite of wings ... not that bad in my opinion. And I don't think you will hear a lot of PoE streamers fill all of their streams with explanation what's going on every second. The game is not that varied. But the youtube videos are good.

No matter there are not that many streamers who do PoE, so you can just check for yourself if you are looking for some streaming source of knowledge.

Say what you want about the d3 AH, but without any currency ingame...everything has no value and i see no reason to play the game once completed.
    If you need incentives to play games, you should probably find another more satisfying hobby.

Ah I see. I guess I just have to get used to it. But the outlines on friendlies and the non-targetable minions would help. There isn't a reason why you would need to target them, is there? Like buff them or something.
    There is no point to the minion targeting thing other than to annoy the hell out of players.

I think originally it was so you could mouseover their HP. But really, it's terrible.

That seems idiotic.

What was the incentive to play Diablo 1 & 2, Drakensang, Titan Quest, Throne of Darkness, Torchlight 1 & 2, Nox, Vagrant Story, Fate, Dungeon Siege?

Diablo 3 having a RMT AH didn't suddenly make ARPGs playable. Enthusiasts of the genre have been grinding for statistical increases for years despite.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    :P not playing in hard core but i saw him...quite fun.
    Actual had someone on the forums demanding that traps be more visible because of this, wouldn't be much of a trap then would it
    That's exactly why he is annoying-- can't see the traps!

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like how this isn't exactly super god gear dependent like that's already better in the current system of D3 ( I M O ) then again I haven't truly gotten into the max dificulity yet so I can't really truely say that unless one of you wanna chip in on this of course.

Now where I was I ah yes Q_Q'ing on a side quest on cruel mode the fetid pool? Like f'ing 5 levels higher then me granted I treated it like an Pre-nerfed inferno diablo mode which I don't get hit but still If I did get 25% of my health would be gone so a chain of hits or a g-dam which is also easy to avoid der stupid bird charging at me = DEAD APATHY RAGE.

Just did Piety...no deaths :P...but then it was normal.
    Can see they whole temple being a problem later even with max resists...those mobs that fire a machine gun of fire damage at you hurt even with 65% fire resist.
    And the whole lower levels of the temple full of corpses ,lakes of blood and impaled people, severed heads and torture tables...not to mention the guys drowning in the blood,...nice :P