Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Templar is the best starting class.

Int/Dex/Str are mainly used for meeting gear and gem requirements. The bonuses give to Mana, Accuracy and HP are minor.

Classes don't mean anything except starting position on the tree. "Splitting points 30/30" has no context or meaning for others without knowing your build and purpose. The concern is nonsensical in the context of POE without a build path.

There is no soft cap of 60 either. Wherever you read that it is either wrong or greatly out of date. There is a cap 100. Endgame begins at 66.
    Thanks Fencers. I knew I could count on you for a blunt and informative answer.

And yes, the information I read was probably out of date. I don't have a purpose or a preset build in mind, I was just going as I went along. I should probably go through and re-read the tree and figure out how I want my build to play out. Which sort of leads me to my next question -- unless I'm just tossing my points out there haphazardly, should almost any build be viable?

On another note, (and please don't poke too much fun at me), but I can't figure out how way points in the game work. Do I have to be at a way point to travel to other way points or something?
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Deleted
    This game is great!

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    On another note, (and please don't poke too much fun at me), but I can't figure out how way points in the game work. Do I have to be at a way point to travel to other way points or something?
    Once you been at a way point it's open for use from any other way point, portal scrolls takes you back to town where there is a way point.

unless I'm just tossing my points out there haphazardly, should almost any build be viable?
    Pretty much. I haven't really seen a proper build that isn't feasible in the endgame.

I have seen everything from two-handed useing melee Witches, Bow Templars and Firestorm casting Barbarians [Marauder ] work at endgame.

Some builds are stronger than others. But provided you have a well thought out build synergy and the gear, it all works.

There is a whole series of youtube videos by the devs showcasing unique/esoteric builds from players at high level.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...-6jJw-iy42tFOR

Melee Witch? Perfectly useable.

Bow Templar? Jup.

A Marauder with a shield and wand? Pretty hardcore actually!

Set yourself on fire and kill mobs Marauder? You bet.

On another note, , but I can't figure out how way points in the game work. Do I have to be at a way point to travel to other way points or something?
    Yes, you travel from one waypoint teleporter pad to other waypoint teleporter pads.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any word on the brawler build? Interested in making one and just punching things to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    good to know im on track then Fencers , Then again, thinking back I think you gave me my Mara tank build .

speaking of correct skill usage... what skills are you all using for your Marauders?

At the moment, I'm using Thunder Strike, Shield Charge but tbh it feels like I'm doing it wrong..... Of course that could just be because I'm comparing a 1h shield build to a DW Dps build
    Leap slam and sweep, annoying as f*** Oak build!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Any word on the brawler build? Interested in making one and just punching things to death.
    That still works. Just have to use a shield build enough dex to rare/never miss.

I think it's actually sorta broken. Because you don't get loot from the mobs you dominate with Dominating Blow which is pretty key to the build at late levels.

15+ Year Old Account
    Are there no pants in the early levels, or are they only parts of some chest armors? Every time I go back to town, it seems I'm the only person with out pants...
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Leap slam and sweep, annoying as f*** Oak build!
    Haha having just killed that fucker and stolen his amulet, it would be the icing on the mean cake to then steal his attack style as well

Sadly, Sweep requires a 2h, and I'm 1h and shield

Although that reminds me. Probably a MASSIVELY stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway...

The projectiles that come off from Thunder Strike, are they considered Thunder, Physical or both? Especially in relation to Life Leach and proccing things like Warlord's Mark.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Are there no pants in the early levels, or are they only parts of some chest armors? Every time I go back to town, it seems I'm the only person with out pants...
    There are no pants in the game. Nor will there ever will be.

Rangers, Duelist and Shadows have pants because they are primarily native to Orriath. Pants are a convention of cultures which ride mounts/horses. In the exiled realm of Wreaclast, there are no horses and the native peoples do not ride horses.

The projectiles that come off from Thunder Strike, are they considered Thunder, Physical or both? Especially in relation to Life Leach and proccing things like Warlord's Mark.
    The melee hit of Lightning Strike is physical, each projectile is considering Lightning elemental damage. Passives to generic elemental damage, passive to Lighting damage specifically and projectile related passives effect the bolts from Lighting Strike. But not the melee physical portion.

Life Leech as a gem will draw life from all forms of damage. Life leech from items or specific passives draw life from Attacks. The latter if also true of Life on Hit passives and gem.

Life leech on Warlord's Mark only applies to the physical melee attack portion of the Lightning Strike skill. The individual bolts can not trigger life leech via Warlord's Mark as they are not physical.

The wording on skills is pretty specific in Path of Exile. There isn't much "guesswork". Things tend to work exactly as worded. And Mark words precisely.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-06 at 02:23 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Real men don't wear pants.

Regarding the brawler, does it require weapons early on before you can get the proper talents? Would assume that one wouldn't be able to do enough damage without the right build so early.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly Willy View Post
    Regarding the brawler, does it require weapons early on before you can get the proper talents? Would assume that one wouldn't be able to do enough damage without the right build so early.
    It works so long as you have the Facebreaker gloves.

Level and build don't matter too much. Although for actual viability, a brawler will need to be incredibly tanky and have access to massive crits. No Reso Tech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah. I'll hold off on making my brawler then. Think I'll work on the spec, though.

Ah. I'll hold off on making my brawler then. Think I'll work on the spec, though.
    Need a fairly wide assortment of skill gems to pull off an endgame brawler as well. As a facebreaker/brawler is kind of tricky to play and soft minion master. Something to consider if you plan on such a build for serious long term play.

However, facebreaker/brawlers are very efficient and speedy levelers. So even if one does not plan on brawler @ endgame, the build is pretty flexible enough that one can spin it several ways.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well.

That's... fascinating.

I hate one thing in this game: I have tons of blue/yellows, can't identify them. I can't even change TP scrolls into more Wisdom, because I have used all and I have like 1 scroll per 10 blue/yellows WTF....It is annoying, i stopped playing beacuse of that for a while, must rethink it. It is pain in the ass for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grind for white gear and sell that. Should be able to build up a stockpile of SoW.

I don't have tp scroll to sell white...so this will be time consuming to die/alt+f4, login, sell, grind, alt+f4, sell, grind, etc. I don't have time for that, really, D3 wins here, sadly.

It is intended that one doesn't id or loot all items. Just the valuable ones. There is a whole recipe system that uses a combination of gear matching and recognition to reinforce the design as well.

Also the concern of TP/ID scrolls is mostly a low level one. Eventually one has hundreds of these items which drop in such volume as to be trivial / ignorable.

There comes a point when one no longer bothers to pick up the majority of mundane loot or consumables. Because the sheer volume is so overwhelming.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-06 at 03:21 AM.

So, long short story: this game is not casual friendly, it's niche are hardcore arpg online players who have alot of free time AND their D2/some other titles hunger is not filled enough by D3, because D3 gives your reward faster. PoE requires longer grind + is new, so everyone is playing as much as possible, increasing their stash content to be the one of "ubers" in the future, also they are testing new builds. Now: what if you are max geared and played all builds?:P One may say: pvp, but it's not the same, pvp shall be rewarding too :P In the end, we find that there is a reason why WoW has had +12mil subs, endless progress.
    You may say: by the time we max all in PoE, devs will give us new act. True or false, time will tell. I am wondering how PoE will be in the next 3 months.
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2013-02-06 at 03:52 AM.