What do you guys do with gems that are given in quests (with 0% quality)?

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    What do you guys do with gems that are given in quests (with 0% quality)?
    I use them, save some for alts and save some for trade.

Sometimes people are looking for a level 1 gem of no particular quality. Usually for the utility of it: Clarity, Purity, Determination, Leap Slam, etc. And will give an alch or a few minor orbs for it rather than rummage through their backpacks or alts.

Heck, I bought a level 1 Leap Slam for an alch last night just because I wanted/needed it for the last area of Act 3. Was just quicker than finding an alt with a Leap Slam or rolling an alt to level 10 for one. Quality didn't matter, I just needed a level 1 Leap Slam for jumping up/down areas in a flash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xezz View Post
    Actually you aren't entirely correct there, according to a post by Mark here (pathofexile. com/forum/view-thread/109237) it actually leeches, which also is the way I experienced it.
    That's what I thought. It's what got me confused in the first place, I figured and Fencers initially confirmed, that the first hit was melee, then the projectiles are Lightning. The thing is, when spamming LS with WM up, I found I was getting shedloads of health back, which confused me.

Having the 50/50 split effect both the melee and projectile portions, meaning you get 1/2 lifeleech from both the initial and projectiles makes sense... Now I REALLY need to get a GMP support gem for this badboy 5 projectiles of life leeching goodness? YES PLEASE!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

After playing a little bit more, I found that this game is really sad and has no soul. Maybe it's is because of this crude and poor artistic side, I don't know, but I have to take a break from it for a while. It is just depressing, act2 is the saddest experience in my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    After playing a little bit more, I found that this game is really sad and has no soul. Maybe it's is because of this crude and poor artistic side, I don't know, but I have to take a break from it for a while. It is just depressing, act2 is the saddest experience in my life.
    mmm, just because the art is dark and gritty, does NOT mean it's 'poor art.'

It is just depressing, act2 is the saddest experience in my life.

do you mean that the art and environment is sad feeling wise or sad as in pathetic? lol, kinda confused

In other news, Dual Strike +18 vs Temporal Chains +19...which one would be worth more? Seems like temp chains bonus is much better than Dual strikes (more slow vs more crit chance)
    Last edited by Creatinebrah; 2013-02-07 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    I personally feel that Act I is depressing. Act II and III are glorious. Especially Act III surprised me beyond reason, since I hadn't watched any spoilers. A3 is really welldesigned. So far, anyways. Less of a feeling that we're just randomly running around in a forest or on beaches.

Act III is Path of Exile at it's most Diablo 2-ness. Especially the final area, Lunaris Temple, where you fight Piety. Which looks like the Durance of Hate.

Diablo 2, Durance of Hate:

Path of Exile, Lunaris Temple:

Love the sound design in Lunaris Temple too. The creepy music, the ominous groans, the screaming / wailing of tortured souls in the background. The drip and slosh of blood.

Intense stuff. That's how it felt going in to Hell or leaving Pandemonium in Diablo.

I really enjoy the darkness and claustrophobia of Act 2 in Path of Exile. It has elements of Diablo 2's third, fourth and fifth acts; dank jungles, ruined catacombs and underground passages beneath the earth.

This game is spectacular in the same atmosphere of the original Diablo games! *

* Honestly, if I could still see Diablo 2 clearly I would play it all day long every day till I die. Probably my favorite game ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a lot of bodies Fencers. I think that's the same area Chris Kluwe showed an image of (he wanted cake)

I just got to Act 2. The Siren was needlessly hard. As a ranger, I found myself face-tanking her for a few seconds, then run away while my (gear-obtained) health regenerated, then back to face-tanking. repeat 50+ times because I could barely break her shield each time. Then, I think I'm out of the clear. Nope. Can't see anything in the jungle. Hope all the zones aren't like this.

Well I hit 60 tonight on my Templar Summoner and god damn it's so damn strong! Also on Act 2 Merciless.

There is a lot of jungle in POE's Act II. It's primarily based on Act III of Diablo 2.

Not sure why one can't see anything though. Do you mean the trees that block the camera, Pendulous?

I think that is intentional to create "blindness" and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    That's a lot of bodies Fencers. I think that's the same area Chris Kluwe showed an image of (he wanted cake)

I just got to Act 2. The Siren was needlessly hard. As a ranger, I found myself face-tanking her for a few seconds, then run away while my (gear-obtained) health regenerated, then back to face-tanking. repeat 50+ times because I could barely break her shield each time. Then, I think I'm out of the clear. Nope. Can't see anything in the jungle. Hope all the zones aren't like this.
    I agree with the trees, it's hard to target some creeps if you're going for every kill. or even opening those tribal chests is hard if they're near or under trees.

they have an interesting fade option they added to roofs in Act III. I wonder if they can implement that for the trees in A2...

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    they have an interesting fade option they added to roofs in Act III. I wonder if they can implement that for the trees in A2...
    That's why I suspect the tree obfuscation in intentional. Because GGG could easily not have that happen.

Also before GGG bumped up the random factor on Act II areas in POE there were zones with far less trees/foliage. So maybe that was intentional too-- to make places like Dark Forest feel more cramped than in CBT.

Then there are places like the Thicket that can spawn relatively clear of trees or so many trees they are all-up-in-your-face. So to speak.

Just speculation on my part. GGG hasn't said anything about it that I know of. Only that they made some maps more "random". Obviously the engine can fade objects if so desired.

I can't seem to find concrete info on combining iron reflexes with leather and steel. They do not cause a double dip in armor value correct? What I mean is I don't get + armor for the evasion turned to armor and then again for the base armor right? It just get's calculated once seems to be the majority opinion I've found. Some confirmation would be nice.

I noticed talk earlier about combining Iron reflexes with the grace skill gem. Fencers how did you get an insane number like 6.5k extra armor for 100mana reserved? I would really like to know since the normal quality gem provides 1,344 evasion rating at lvl 20 which would get turned into armor. Is it because you are taking into account all the passive armor pickups on the skill tree? Like the + armor ones and leather and steel? So that 1,344 extra armor could potentially be 6k in combo with them. If that's the case then i guess I should ditch my determination gem for a grace ASAP.

---------- Post added 2013-02-07 at 05:19 AM ----------

Also Pendulous, to the not being able to buy stuff from vendors right away. The games supposed to give you that I'm dirt poor on my own kind of feeling off the start. Nothing like going up to the vendors and realizing how poor you are off the bat. Having to ration your portal scrolls because you can't afford to buy new ones, it's all part of the game. I also think it's partially because your on your first character so resources are slim right now. After a few acts you'll look at the stuff the vendor has and think how much of a steal that 5 socket item is for 3 scrolls or a single alteration orb or something. That's another thing, the vendor values, at least for me so far never go to high. A base studded leather hood in Act 3 goes for what a base wool cap or whatever would in act 1.

I love the currency system in this game personally. Once I wrapped my head around it. Essentially nothing is waste, everything has value.
    Last edited by Duncanîdaho; 2013-02-07 at 10:24 AM.
    The generalist looks outward; he looks for living principles, knowing full well that such principles change, that they develop. It is to the characteristics of change itself that the mentat-generalist must look. There can be no permanent catalogue of such change, no handbook or manual. You must look at it with as few preconceptions as possible, asking yourself, "Now what is this thing doing?" -Children of Dune

Yeah, my advice when you're new is to just keep playing through the quest line. Items get better and you start getting a lot (relatively) of orbs/scrolls to drop. You're probably not going to get super mega awesome items at level 20 so just keep leveling because the higher level items are more likely to be good.

Personally, my witch is only 40 and I still feel like items of my level are largely a waste of time. Did find my first unique on brutus, though (wondertrap).

I'm trying very hard to follow the 'story'... but I just can't =/
    Game is pretty fun though. The skill forest is definitely something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Yeah, my advice when you're new is to just keep playing through the quest line. Items get better and you start getting a lot (relatively) of orbs/scrolls to drop. You're probably not going to get super mega awesome items at level 20 so just keep leveling because the higher level items are more likely to be good.

Personally, my witch is only 40 and I still feel like items of my level are largely a waste of time. Did find my first unique on brutus, though (wondertrap).
    I think orbs are global drops at any level with the same chance, to be hounest.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    I think orbs are global drops at any level with the same chance, to be hounest.
    I get scrolls of wisdom every other kill now, feels a lot more common than it did at level 5. Could just be perspective, I guess.

Found my first part of a zone while helping a friend to level through act 1 today where there were mobs (and a rare submerged beneath ground) but unable to be reached as there were no paths to it. After some scratching of my head I grabbed a leap slam gem and jumped over with my shadow. The rare proceeded to drop 2 yellows of decent quality for the level. Whether it was share random luck or there was a bonus to loot for actually getting over there ... I don't know. But having an area inaccessible without skills was a curious discovery.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post

I got wondertrap off Brutus in cruel yesterday too!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post

Siren is a damned fun fight, especially if you solo it.
    It's what a ARPG fight should feel like, enough with the MMO/ God of War telegraphing attacks or AOEs.

If I had to rank boss fights it would be Siren>Piety>Vaal.

Quick question, got a 5 slot bow and only 3 links. Is there any way to add more links?

Also my build has finally started to come around but I'm still not sure on when to dip into Blood Magic. Is there a HP, regen, LL magic number to aim for?
    Last edited by mmoc94e579c637; 2013-02-07 at 11:10 AM.