10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    so I have to link a chaos damage gem to an gem skill that does damage like lightning strike etc etc.

Yes, the support gem only affects the skill it's linked with, by reading the blue description of what the gem does and combining it with the 'projectile, attack, support' bit under the name you can make sense of it most times, as stated, all very logical.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    okay that makes sense. Do support gems take longer to level than skill gems?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    okay that makes sense. Do support gems take longer to level than skill gems?
    No. Every gem has it's own xp table.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    There is a skill called life steal and chaos damage? I'm a marauder and unsure what spells other classes do.
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply that those are skill gems. The Chaos Damage support gem and Life Leach support gem were what I was referring to.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really do wanna punch people in the g-dam face whenever I trade people TRYING TO GOUGE ME

( despite I do it too )

Wow, so I'm have a metric crap ton of fun playing this game, and thanks to all of the denizens here for persuading me to download it.

I'm starting off in softcore, as I'm not the gamer I once was. I'm looking for build direction from some of you guys. I know some people like to jump into a game blind, put I prefer to get a handle on the systems and general strategies before I go off on my own and start trying zany things.

With that said, I'd be interested in links to any "standard" beginner builds, on the PoE forums or otherwise. I currently thinking softcore Ice-crit witch, or pure summoner (I probably rolled 10 summon necros over the course of D2), though I'm also interested in a caster/bow shadow. Preferably I'm looking for a build that isn't overly gear dependent, and one that EXPLAINS passive choices as opposed to just linking to a filled in tree. I want to actually understand the build and learn about the game, as opposed to just mindlessly clicking boxes.

Obviously, there are tons of builds on the official forums. I've learned, of course, that threads with the highest reply count aren't always the most accurate. I figure you guys would do a good job pointing me towards one that fits the criteria listed above.

P.S. Is there a rough currency price guide anywhere? I've figured out general relationships between the major forms of currency, but some of the less frequently traded ones still stump me. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mort459 View Post
    P.S. Is there a rough currency price guide anywhere? I've figured out general relationships between the major forms of currency, but some of the less frequently traded ones still stump me. Thanks!
    http://www.poeex.info/

Can't think of anything that fits your build criteria. Bow Templar is like the most noob friendly build possible. So just look for stuff like that.

Not a great idea to start Witch, Shadow or Duelist without knowing what you are doing. Witched are generally very gear dependent and take the longest to get going. First time players are usually making a mistake by picking Witch or Shadow.

Witch != the spellcaster / wizard class.

With that said, I'd be interested in links to any "standard" beginner builds, on the PoE forums or otherwise. I currently thinking softcore Ice-crit witch, or pure summoner (I probably rolled 10 summon necros over the course of D2), though I'm also interested in a caster/bow shadow. Preferably I'm looking for a build that isn't overly gear dependent, and one that EXPLAINS passive choices as opposed to just linking to a filled in tree. I want to actually understand the build and learn about the game, as opposed to just mindlessly clicking boxes.
    Are you looking for a build to take to endgame? Or just play until you've learnt the game and then pick something you might want to progress further with? If it's the latter, I'd suggest a Ground Slam Marauder. It's nothing like the builds you described wanting to play :P but it helped me learn the game. You can find the guide on the Mara forums on the official site (I can't post links yet), it's called "[Newbie Friendly] MARAUDER MELEE BUILD v2.02c". It's nice because it isn't too gear dependent, you get a lot of survivability, and all the gems you need come from quests. I also tried a dual ice spear totem witch (barely depends on gear, and is very safe because your totems kill everything).

I'm now doing maps on a bow mara, which I find quite fun. It has a lot of survivability (like the GS mara, a lot of the build is the same between the two actually) and a lot of damage thanks to lightning arrow (<3 lightning arrow, hate what it does to my fps though).

Quote Originally Posted by Magicme View Post
    Are you looking for a build to take to endgame? Or just play until you've learnt the game and then pick something you might want to progress further with?
    Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm going to try out a dual totem templar. Looks pretty noob friendly. After I accumulate some wealth I'm gonna try a Crit Ice witch or a summoner. Summoners in particular seems very gear dependent, though I've heard that the uniques they need aren't too expensive.

Edit: Maybe I'll start with a dual totem core and wander over to the witch area to get a minion army too! Possibilities endless. This game rocks.
    Last edited by Mort459; 2013-02-22 at 01:48 AM.

Summoners do seem gear dependent I agree, but they do work without all the uniques. Dual totem is a good idea! I've always wanted to try and incorporate strong summons into it but I found it hard to get enough minion nodes to make them more than just meat shields for the totems.

Good luck

Summoner's get most of their power from the tree, most of their survival from gear. As such, summoner builds usually take a LONG time to get going usually.

Of the 3 Int hybrid classes; Shadow summoners are the slowest, decent early damage, mediocre survival after around level 40. Templars are the strongest summoners in the early game, decent survival till the 40s but slow late game. Witches are the fastest summoners, worst survival early game, poor damage early to mid game, then become GODS late game.

Given enough time and gear all 3 int hybrid classes can get their minions to the same relative point.

What class affects in this game more than anything is starting position on the tree. As some classes might reach certain nodes sooner than others or might have early/late game advantage in access to certain nodes.

Something worth noting about POE leveling; leveling is fast at first and slows way down later on. That measly +10 Str node might be a long time coming circa level 77. Plan out builds that are effective with the least number of "wasted" points early on &/or can access high impact nodes efficiently later on.

Ideally, a build maximizes early and late game gains. But it's always a balancing act to pull it off as the levels become spaced out.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Something worth noting about POE leveling; leveling is fast at first and slows way down later on. That measly +10 Str node might be a long time coming circa level 77.
    Oh D2 leveling how I've missed you (not really (but kind of, really))

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh D2 leveling how I've missed you (not really (but kind of, really))
    I rather do D2 runs right now because Baal runs and cow runs, Map runs are frustrating as hell especially when my crew is like HEY APATHY LETS DO PIETRY MAP VERSION LOTS and necropolis with goat people and stuff

F you ._.

qq

With all those muppets claiming that GGG have been compromised because they have had their accounts hacked i'm going to enjoy slapping them in the face with the new security feature, if you get hacked after that it's almost guaranteed to be your email that's compromised.

Looks like they tweaked the reward tiers for the 1hr solo races so you only need to get to L11 before you start earning points. I'm still going to push for 13/14, and maybe after I do a few of these I'll start to edge my way towards 15, but I'm not holding my breath on that. The plus side is that it'll give more people a change to at least earn a few points, assuming they don't die half way through. LOL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone Jack View Post
    Looks like they tweaked the reward tiers for the 1hr solo races so you only need to get to L11 before you start earning points. I'm still going to push for 13/14, and maybe after I do a few of these I'll start to edge my way towards 15, but I'm not holding my breath on that. The plus side is that it'll give more people a change to at least earn a few points, assuming they don't die half way through. LOL
    Do you still get rewards if you die but get to the required level? It says somewhere on the forums that you don't, but I wonder if they're talking about hardcore only or not.

Is the race hardcore or normal? and if you accrue the points (say 30) do you get more than one item?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Do you still get rewards if you die but get to the required level? It says somewhere on the forums that you don't, but I wonder if they're talking about hardcore only or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    Is the race hardcore or normal? and if you accrue the points (say 30) do you get more than one item?
    If you click the event on the calender you get a list of the rules, the first one starting soon for example - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/171503

"Hardcore - A character killed in Hardcore is moved to its parent league.
    Solo- You may not party in this league."

And you need to get to the level and be alive at the end of the race

"Prizes for reaching specific levels and staying alive:"

The first person to kill cruel hillock in a one hour race? Is that just placeholder for future races or am I playing this game very wrong?